Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: Roots in Blood
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:49 pm 

The mountains ended here. The orange-robed man started a slide down the slope toward the group below scattered on the plain, but quite uniformly armed with spears or broad swords and clad in thick furs. The ground was muddy after recent rains, but he didn't lose balance. This time his companion didn't have a clear advantage. He would catch up soon enough though, but truth be told the orange-robed man didn't care that much, nor for the danger of a lone approach. He was single-minded about the negotiations. The decision had been made. Forward was the only way, toward the two mounted warriors at the front of the swarm.

"Just the two of you?", one of the riders called out.

"Just the two of you too.", the orange-robed man imperviously responded.

"We have a force behind us."

"And my force is below me.", he struck earth with his heel and it shook in a light tremor that gave riders pause and made their troops murmur with hushed, anxious whispers. "The Children of the Earth greet the Sons of the Mountain and the Sons of the Wind."

"There had once been the Tribe of Yin that could greet the Unbowed like this but they bent their knees to the alien gods.", the other rider spat out.

"I am Yin Dongshan and my knees are straight. Yin Sao made alien god bend knee to him, not the other way.", Isawa Higashiyama replied calmly as his side was finally joined by Isawa Senjo.

"And he died for him. And for that you have kissed the boots of their god-kings ever since, and moved against your kin. City of Sacrifice was the greatest once, but now City of Gold is. I am Wen Zhou of the Sons of the Mountain and I have words for you Dongshan of Yin. We don't need you. We don't believe you."

"And yet you've agreed to come when I asked Bo Shui to bring you here."

"I wanted to see the eyes of the man I will kill."

"Then come and look into my eyes, Zhou of Wen.", Higashiyama snarled loudly in defiance. Now that theatrics of both leaders showing strength was over they could get down to business. The Elemental Master marched on to meet the rider halfway on the windy plain. On that spot none could hear them.

"You know my tongue well, but this is only because your tribe aided my father. Make it brief, Dongshan of Yin."

"We have never forgotten the language of the tribes... We know about your harvest, and next year's will be no different. What will you do, Zhou of Wen?"

"I will go south and take the grain from slaves of the Kami."

"Like the last time, many moons ago? Even if you gather all tribes like your father did, it will not be enough."

"I will kill all who deny my people survival, and I will start with you.", the fur-clad man hissed as his hand reached to the hilt of his ringsword.

"Your will do no such thing, Zhou.", the resolve in Higashiyama's voice gave the Yobanjin lord a pause. "Because I am the one to ensure your survival. You need about a year to gather the tribes, but you need grain to convince them. I will give you that grain, and the next provender the army gets will be from southern farmlands that you will settle. Your tribe came from the mountains to the plains once, and founded Zhengfu. With me, you will achieve more. You will return where the tumuli of your ancestors are."

"What kind of traitor are you, Dongshan? You will help us move against your own?", the Son of the Mountain was thrown off guard, defensive in his confusion.

"They are not our own. They have never truly been. There is no place for us among them, and for them among us. For all his brilliance, Yin Sao was mistaken about the alien gods. We should have never helped that Empire be founded. It's grown blasphemous and corrupt, and cannot be redeemed. It needs to fall, and the Unbowed should return.", Higashiyama's conviction was hard to dismiss. Wen Zhao gave it a long thought.

"How should I believe you, Dongshan of Yin?"

"I will march south by your side, and so will my people. Our magic will be your strength."

"You will betray us like you are betraying them. You will walk us into a trap."

"This is my proof." Higashiyama pulled out a knife but as Zhou jumped back he simply cut his hand and let the blood flow freely, trying to push away a distant call at the back of his head. He threw away the knife and extended the bleeding hand toward the Yobanjin lord. "Oath."

After a long moment the ringsword slit the other hand. Iron grip followed, and spilled blood of both men dripped richly on the wet ground.

"Oath.", Wen Zhou pulled Higashiyama into embrace, then turned them both to face Bo Shui of the Sons of the Wind and the combined troops of Bo and Wen tribes behind them. "The tribe of Yin has returned! The long wait is ending, starving is ending, time is reversed! All tribes shall unite! Not your gransons, not your sons, but it is you who will march south!"

As the roar of several thousand shouting throats rolled over the plain Isawa Senjo, Hidden Master of Water, approached the two men bound by a blood oath and took a stand by his leader. "It's done."

---

Aizu,

Our parting letter should be longer but at this moment of finality I find myself at a loss of words. The Council is no more. Higashiyama and Senjo could not be dissuaded, and they have swayed most. Seisuka had departed before that with her followers to join the Naka, but her ishi were insignificant compared to the overall numbers. Maybe if you were here in Gisei Toshi when it all was about to unravel things would have turned out differently, but it is what it is. I can't follow Seisuka's example. My path must be different. My acolytes, adepts and tensai have to receive a strong signal. That this is wrong, unacceptable. That it is not what Takao's sacrifice was for. That they should not side with them. It is also because I don't want to witness how all I hold dear is being unmade. You shall be the last Master to stand for the Empire. The task to stop them is now on you, if such thing is even possible. How ironic it is that the future of the Phoenix hinges on a Centipede.

Wind carries ashes
Beyond mountains and woodlands
To the rice paddies.

Sayounara.

Kazeda

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]