Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: Vice
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:59 pm 

"Do you think how long it will last?"

The old man rubbed his forehead in irritation. He was fed up with the exaggerated sounds coming from his suzerain's chambers. The male voice was often abusive, the female one was responding with feigned ecstasy to profanities. Theatrics of the most detestable kind.

"I don't know. It should be over soon."

The voice was indifferent, even blase. It belonged to a man that was probably in his thirties but looked much older. Despite meticulous grooming his complexion was unhealthy, the shades around his eyes significant. He looked extremely tired, a victim of chronic overwork that became a habit one could not drop by resting or relaxing. He was sipping intensive-smelling gaijin drink, black and bitter.

"I served his grandfather and I served his father, Kamei-san. I know what a proper Crane Champion should be. This insolent brat is anyone but."

"Careful, Koresada-sensei. Don't go down that path. We have enough challenges already to seek new problems. He is who he is, but he is your liege."

"But he is the problem, the very essence of our problem! I would have loved to retire, to leave this all behind. But I taught him, and I know who he is better than you. And I have every reason to believe that if he is left to his own devices we will meet the Phoenix fate, or worse."

"Perhaps this is why you should retire, Koresada-sensei, and give Wayozu a chance. You still think as his teacher, not his subject. Look at Kamatari-san. He had a reason to let go and drop from these meetings altogether and he is better for it. While we keep sitting here and suffering ignominy and waste our time. Not that anything will get done. Low expectations help weather this."

"I don't think your answer is any better. You are doing everything these days. Keep it up and they will find you dead from karoshi on your desk in Shiro Daidoji."

The other man chuckled dryly, without mirth.

"It would only mean I died doing my Duty."

"There are better ways to commit suicide, Kamei-san."

"There are worse ways as well, Koresada-sensei."

An artificially prolonged cry later it stopped, and both men sighed in relief, only to tense again as shuffling was coming from behind the screen. A young man appeared from behind it, shirtless, somewhat handsome, his long hair cast loose. He smelled of sweat from at least two people and sported a smug grin. Both daimyo bowed to him, Kakita Koresada less deep and with some reluctance.

"Koresada-sensei, Kamei-san, good morning. You've come to bore me with all those clerical, tedious details again? Probably because I called you. I had something on my mind, but I think I got distracted and forgot. But you'll have to forgive me, this little Ayano is as good as her paintings."

Koresada's knuckles whitened.

"Tanaka-dono, it most assuredly was not that Doji Ayano, but some impostor."

"This Ayano, that Ayano, who cares as long as she knows what pleases her lord and master, ne?"

"Tono, I must remind you as your former sensei that this is not how a liege lord treats his subjects. She's your samurai, not your whore."

The young man approached Koresada, standing between him and Kamei, showing the other his back. Leaning over with a defiant grin and opium-hazed abandon in his eyes, he feigned a spit on the older man's bald head and laughed when it didn't happen.

"Oh, you're mistaken, my dear sensei. She is my whore. Like you all. Each and every Crane is my whore. Kamei is a tired but dutiful whore of mine. Kamatari is a whore of mine. And you are a whore of mine. Old, whiny whore I keep out of some sentiment. But perhaps I should discard you like it is often done with useless old whores."

It came abruptly, as it didn't seem there was enough buildup. Neither Kamei nor Tanaka himself had expected it. But it had all been welling up long in Koresada, and that day he needed just one more drop to flow over the rim. And that drop was the spit that didn't come as saliva, but dripped from words alone. Wakizashi's tsuka flashed and Tanaka's lip exploded in blood as the impact threw him back. Kamei was on his feet the moment after.

"What are you doing?!"

Kamei jumped forth and restrained Koresada in an iron grip. The old man did not resist, in shock at his own actions. It had come with no-thought, the way of the sword used in one of the worst possible ways. Pain coming from inside gripped Koresada, and squeezed tears out of him. Tears of anger and helplessness more than regret. The manboy, on the other hand, probably was too drugged to feel the pain, so he just bounced back. He wiped the blood once with bare hand and laughed, seeing Koreasda grappled and crying.

"And so you've proven myself right. Kakita daimyo to three Champions, revered sensei, paragon, Kenshinzen... committing treason, then crying like a girl! Attacking his liege. What a story. What a fall. The dog has bitten. The dog needs to be put down. But before this happens, the old dog will make up to his master with a sacrifice of his puppies."

Tanaka leaned closer, his bloodied lip dripping on Koreasada's lap. His gaze was half-vengeful, half-amused.

"I remember that mute girl you pleaded me not to touch on her mother's behalf. I did that favour to a loyal vassal but you are no longer one. I will order her brought to me, and I will do to her what I had intended when she had humiliated me. And you will watch. And by this experience you will learn that I am not to be disobeyed, defied or lectured. I am the Crane Champion by birthright. You can hate me, but you follow my orders to the last character. And you will obey me with this, or I will discipline several others who you may hold dear."

He was looking Koresada in the eyes. There was nothing unexpected in them, but Tanaka drew satisfaction from watching the man's soul drown. He was looking in the wrong eyes, however. Because the other pair in his vicinity would tell him that unthinkable happened, the infinite tolerance turned finite. And the iron grip ever so slightly loosened.

It was over within a blink. Koresada stood over Tanaka's body on the floor, sword in hand. Staring blankly. Then, the guards arrived.

"You had your chance.", Kamei whispered hollowly.

"I had my chance, but in the end I couldn't do it.", Koresada unsheathed the spotless sword and fell to the knees near his unconscious superior, paying no mind to the stupefied guard. "Second me or not, your call."

The old daimyo opened his kimono, exposing a spotted chest of a very ill man.

"In ruthless deluge
Even sakura blossoms..."

First cut.

"...May rot and grow dark
But pale and black..."

Second cut.

...fall alike
To nourish hues of next..."

Third cut.

"...spring."

The bald head rolled.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]