Login FAQ  
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: The Interview of Captains [Event, LM2]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:47 pm 

Premise

Those who have performed well in the civil examination phase of determining captaincies for the First Voyage are now invited before the august presence of the Imperial Admiral. Hantei Jama receives them in the Red Hall, the headquarters of the Imperial Naval College. Some of them would recognise in the premises the offices of the former master of the Feitoria, Jose Pavo.

Jama remains silent as he assesses the candidates. It is his lieutenant Asahina Yajinden who asks the questions. The questions are quite open-ended and generally can be understood as a way to gauge the candidates' true fortes in seamanship and command.

---

Mechanics

Only the following characters can participate in the event.

Quote:
  • Miya Edogawa
  • Miya Suihime
  • Asahina Tori
  • Kitsu Keiji
  • Matsu Yasuhiro
  • Yogo Akarei
  • Gusai Susumu
  • Suzume Rokuro
  • Muhaki Berena
  • Muhaki Zabieru

This event has no rolls! It only involves strategic choices and role-playing. Each candidate chooses three features from their sheets. It can be a Trait, a Skill Rank (with Emphases), an Advantage, a Technique, their Rank in Status, Glory, Honour or Insight. Their task is to create a compelling narrative about their abilities and their preferred role on the vessels constructed over those three selected features. The positions in the flotilla will be distributed based on both the feature choices and the contents of the statements of purpose.

---

Results

It is assumed that the appropriate Status Rank/Skill Rank in Sailing for a Captain of the vessel is 4, while for the First Officer it is 3. Those of lower Status/Sailing than assumed who nevertheless are rewarded those positions will have their authority weakened until they achieve the assumed levels, by -5 to their rolls related to exercising command on the vessels by each increment in either feature they are deficient in. However, during the coming downtime of the sea voyage there will be an opportunity to strengthen their authority and seamanship via expending VIP and/or XP. In addition, until they reach the assumed levels Social Position is discounted to them by 2XP and Sailing is treated as if it were their College Skill.

Each of the participants receives a bonus number of Duty Points equal to full Capacity of the ship in case of Captains and half of the Capacity in case of First Officers. Amaterasu's Grace, Kunshu Maru, Yamato Maru and Ashitae Maru are Capacity 4 each. Stingray and Walrus are Capacity 2 each. Duty Points can be pooled between the Captains and the First Officers. Their expenditure is governed by the rules of the Commodore Station. PCs in positions stipulated in the Station do not work as stated until the feature is purchased with Duty Points e.g. you can use Navigator feature only if you purchase it, regardless of having a PC navigator on board.

Each Capacity 4 vessel will have one of the four squadrons of the 1st Teppodoka Regiment assigned to it free of cost in Duty Points. Each Vessel has an initial Glory of 1.0 except Amaterasu's Grace which, being the flagship on which Prince Jama will sail, has Glory 2.0.

Once they command staff is distributed across ships, OOC thread will be opened for the purpose of crew recruitment. The process will be significantly policed by the GMs to ensure more or less equal, balanced and agreeable composition of each crew.

"The great questions of the day will not be decided by courtly discussions or pious prayers to the Heavens, but by blood and iron."

Post subject: Re: The Interview of Captains [Event, LM2]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:52 am 

The soon to not-be-Yogo Akarei glanced at her soon to be husband and gave him a small smirk. She then analyzed the rest of the crowd and noted the other redhead. How could a gaijin score better than me? Something is off. But surely I cannot claim to be more intelligent if I used the kami's aid and still was bested by her.

Hmm, fine. I'll sell the virtues that I am sure that none other possess here.

"They call me the, 'Flame of Piety.' It is not an inaccurate name though it may be too broad of a stroke." She produced a small ledger containing notes on the constellations. "One of my practices is astrology. Not only can I recognize the stars above but I also interpret them." She tilted her head up to the ceiling. "But portents aside, this means that I will be able to guide our course without problem. You surely know of my navigation skills based off of my test results."

She then set forth her scroll satchel. "I had a specific goal before I applied for the captain position: to discover and interpret gaijin magic. I see no reason for this to change." The woman produced one of her wards and held it up. "I could set myself on fire in a mere instant with this piece of paper. That and more can be contained in a ward. Suffice to say, the gaijin may be full of surprises of their own." The shugenja looked at the others and then back to the leaders. "I am the only one here with the skill set to quickly assess a situation like that."

Her expression turned a bit more serious. "And I am barely even scratching the surface of what we might encounter." It was a gamble to rope her involvement with the Jade Office into the discussion but it was a risk she was willing to take.

"Regardless, it would be wise to appoint my husband on the same ship as I. I would prefer that he serve as my first mate while I serve as the captain. After all, who would make a better partner for me than my husband?"

---

Key Features:
Divination (Astrology)
Spellcraft (Spell Research)
Forbidden Knowledge: Maho

General Theme | Stargazing Theme | Battle Theme

Typically Carries: Robes, Mask, Fan, Wakizashi, Knife, Scroll Satchel, Divination Kit, Paper Wards

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:27 am 

''...Great speeches can spark the flame of inspiration in thousands, swell their hearts with pride and look eagerly for what the morrow may bring...but these can fade just as fast as they happen. It is my strong belief that true leadership is not from one's graceful words but by one's dedication and interity of intent made manifest without repose throught the thick and thin. I believe that a captain should alway be in the middle of his men as to inspire in them a sense of confidence and an understanding that he will face the same difficulties they will and always be there for them in time of need, never allowing the fire to fade from their soul.

If the crew is to trust their captain then their captain must trust in them first: a good captain must to be able to pick men and women to perform task for him that the cannot do himself but also respect their competence by not meddling and to trust their skill and potential. If he doubts his men then it is his own judgement that is in question but if he trust them then his crew will be boilstered and gain fervor in his service...''

(first feature chosen: Leadership)

''...and addition to this, a captain must be self-reliable. While being able to make good connections and being able to earn a good social standing are qualities to admire, these will be of no help once the captain leaves port: While the Son of Heaven provides for his loyal and dutyful subjects, the sea is vast, unpredictable and recognition in his eyes sadly means little to those that ignores the rightgeousness of his rule and the blessings of the Kami.

To see his mission succeed a captain must be able and ready to seize any opportunity both on land and on the sea. He will have to find new strenghts to go above and beyond while he braves the unknown black waters and ride the storms up to unwelcoming shores. He will often need to either trade with the people he will find to get what his crew need to go ever further ahead or take them by force if met with savagery and lawlessness. Ressourcefulness will earn him further loyalty from his crew and alleviate an unnecessary burden from his Admiral...''

(second feature chosen: Joy of Plunder)

''...I have acted under those principles ever since I came into Admiral Hantei-no-Kimi's service. I could cite recognition by the masses as a mesure of success but I know that popularity is not always a mesure of worth. Should I choose something to be mesured with, it would be the men and women already in my service. By keeping true to what I have already said, I have earned the trust of several seasonned and hardened sailors and demonstrated that I am able to bear the responsibilities and duties that comes with the station. More then empty word I have shown results, results that will help further Hantei-no-Kimi's endeavor.''

(third feature chosen: World of the Daimyo)

''...he was a paragon of courtesy...''

Status 4 (5 for mantis and peasants)/Glory 8.4/Reputation 4.3/ Honor: What is expected (GASP!)
Equipment (visible):
-always: Double Kama, wakizashi, jade finger
-when appropriate: light armor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:02 am 

"The truest measure of my ability should be by my service in command of the Stingray, and in the service of the Imperial Naval Academy," Tori begins, when the time comes.

"Many needs have united to make this expedition possible. More sailors, trained in new methods, with new technologies. The creation of new training and drilling programs, and new policies for maintaining new equipment. A more nuanced understanding of the winds and tides, as they apply to open sea expedition."

"To be at sea is to be at battle. Not a battle against a hated foe, but against the ocean and the ship itself; worthy foes, to be respected and love." She makes an open gesture to those gathered, "And when that battle comes, nearly every soul in this room will stake their very lives on the abilities of the brave men and women who honed their skills under my command, under my program. As I have, time and again, through as many waves of trainees as is asked of me."

"Knowledge is not enough. Command is not enough. It is through unity, understanding, and insight that we shall set forth and discover."

((Choices:
Lore: Nature 8, of course.
Leadership
Soul of Artistry: Craft))

Rokugani * Thrane * Merenaese

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:02 am 

When it was his time, Miya Edogawa entered silently. Kneeling, he bowed deeply to Jama, stopping only short of how one would pay respect to the Emperor himself. "Thank you, Hantei-no-kimi, for granting me this honor."

When appropriate, he rose and turned his attention to Yajinden, bowing again as he usually did to his superior. "Asahina-sama, I am ready."

"Then tell me, Miya-san, why you should be considered for a position of command."

The shame that hung over him tugged at Edogawa's thoughts. He was certain these men were aware of what he had said. There was no doubt in his mind that there would be consequences for his words. But, he was not being asked about them now. Whatever punishment he might face, would come when Jama wished it and not before.

He answered calmly in a clear, even voice. "Familiarity. I know each of these ships. I understand every detail of their design. I have witnessed every step of their construction. Even the Walrus and the Stingray were modified by my hand."

"You did not build these vessels on your own, Miya-san."

He nodded, in agreement. "I did not. I had the resources and guidance of Hantei-no-kimi and yourself, Asahina-sama. I also had skilled laborers and craftsman under my supervision. Many of these are the same experienced sailors and guides who will serve us during this voyage. They know and understand me as I do them, through a fluency of their language that they respect."

"You can not simply rely on their skills to cross the ocean."

There was another nod. "It will require all of our skills to cross the ocean. I am a competent sailor and capable in many areas, but I know I will need more than that if I am allowed to serve in command. No matter what challenges I have faced, regardless of how difficult my course has been or how lost I have felt, I have always been able to find my way. Whatever direction you set me on, Hantei-no-kimi, I will stay true to it."

Edogawa continued to answer Yajinden's questions calmly, waiting to learn what would be expected of him.

- - -
Craft: Shipbuilding 5
Lore: Linguistics (Merenaese) 3
Absolute Direction

Carries: Wakizashi, Rapier, Tools
Speaks: Rokugani, Merenaese, Thranish, Sign
Accompanied By: Nari

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:47 am 

Bellena waited for her turn and then walked into the office when she was called, shutting the door behind her. She looked at the furnishings placed around the room and chuckled once through her nostrils knowingly. After being directed to sit, she looked up to the Asahina who greeted her and began asking a question to her qualifications.

One eyebrow lowered slightly for a moment before she replied, "I feel that my qualifications are obvious. I believe your test showed that well enough. Despite never having set a foot in one of your colleges previously, I answered beyond what even your proctors could understand. And my breadth of knowledge doesn't come solely from studying a series of books on the ocean... I have more experience than all of your other captains combined, save the other Tortoise. I have spent years sailing further than any of your Explorers have ever dreamed, and all that time has created reservoirs of wisdom and insight that no one else here can compare with."

She tilted her head a bit, "I speak a variety of languages, including the one spoken by the only men on this voyage who will have any experience beyond simple shallow-water piracy. I have been to your destination. I have sailed those waters; I can read the sky more clearly than any road sign on land. I am constantly able to adapt because I have the mental capacity to do so and the experience to delineate between proper and improper action. Comparing my skills to these other children is not an exercise that is worth the breath expended on it."

She then leaned forward slightly, "This conversation really is more a test on your skills as a leader than it is a test on my qualifications. The obvious drawback I present is the color of my skin and the shade of my hair. Your men, taken from all different clans in Rokugan, may be resistant to a Captain or Navigator that is a 'gaijin'; someone without the pomp and frill of their conception of nobility. They may value their own foolish sense of pride over the harsh reality that the knowledge I and the other 'gaijin' on this voyage possess is the only thing keeping them from death, and your dreams afloat."

She looked to Yajinden, "And as you know Asahina-sama, until last night I had no reason to join your voyage until it became clear that you all were in over your head. I would prefer to not have my leaders have to explain why the Emperor's son's fleet got lost at sea, never to return. I have no foolish desire to see the horizon, and will not follow bad orders quietly, or foolish calls for 'progress' or 'exploration' blindly. I will decry incompetence whether it come from you, or any of your appointed 'leaders'. I will ensure that you arrive at your destination safely, and will ensure that there are no problems in communication between the forces of the Emperor at sea and the fleet you bring with you. This is in order to make sure that any 'unpleasantness' that your people and the Tortoise have experienced will not happen again. The question is then... how would you utilize these abilities? What value do you give to my skills and experience? Who do you pair with me to optimize the chances of a successful voyage? It is your call to make. History will be testing your judgement." She then bowed respectfully to the two of them.

---

Using Intelligence Trait, Linguistics, and Lore: Nature (Void)

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:05 am 

“I’m certain my qualifications must be well-known,” Keiji began. “I led a ship to victory in last year’s Imperial Regatta against fierce competition. Several of the captains from that event are here even now, vying for command. I and my loyal crew overcame them all. Since then I have served with distinction as an officer in the Imperial Navy. My reputation as a naval officer is among the very best.”

“But more than this, I truly believe in the mission of the Imperial Admiral and his Imperial Explorers,” Keiji said eagerly. The young Lion’s eyes were bright with excitement. “To discover new lands, and new peoples, and to bring them the word of the Emperor, and the civilizing influence of the Empire! This will be the most important work of this age. I have trained for years for this mission, and if you see fit to entrust me with this responsibility, I will not fail.” He bowed and fell silent.

Chosen:
Fame (Amazing Naval Officer)
Idealistic
Technique: Seeking New Paths

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:19 am 

Rokuro waited in silence until it was his turn to speak.

The questions and answers were intriguing, though his fiancee declaring that he should serve beneath her was interesting. That would be stored in his memory to deal with later.

Still, when his turn came, he rose, walking forward in a bowed posture and then prostrating himself as was appropriate, before rising so far as was appropriate for a man of his standing and direct descendant of the Kami.

"I will not bore you with recitations of particulars, Hantei-dono, but rather speak of principle." He fixed his gaze firmly upon the point propriety gave him, taking no liberties, but giving no ground. "I am Suzume Rokuro, and I am here not by chance. That my father would not serve as champion, and that I, in turn, would not follow him, was not by chance; indeed, that I sit here now is proof of that. My clan would serve in whatever way we are called; and I am no different. I was kept from the duties of Daimyo, because there is another path I am meant to walk, another service I am to render." (Great Destiny)

"I do not say this idly, for among those gathered, I am one of the few with the experience of standing before their clansmen, and learning the weight of that responsibility. As a Magistrate I have learned how to organize those under my command, to make best use of those I am tasked with leading. I know some measure of the pressure that entails; of carrying the lives of friends and enemies alike in your hand and treating both fairly, and with honor." His hands tensed slightly, memories threatening to overwhelm him, and then he went on. "I know the weight of the trust which subordinates grant, of their spirits, lives, and dreams, entrusted to your guidance." (Status 4)

"What's more, I understand the cost of things. Ships do not have endless stores, food does not appear from thin air." He considered the callouses on his fingers, hardly visible, but he could feel them pressed against the floor, one hand bracing his kneeling posture. "I am here because I demonstrated comprehensive knowledge of how to manage the supplies, personnel, and equipment this sort of expedition requires, and I have the experience to know when and how to defer to those I command. If Hantei-dono chooses to entrust any of his vessels to my care, I will ensure it is well managed, that it does not suffer shortage or malfunction, and is ready to perform whatever tasks he requires." (Commerce)

Pausing, he then added, in a level tone, "On a personal note, if it is not too bold, I would also request a joint posting with my betrothed. That she and I have pressing reason to develop a strong working relationship only further motivates us both to excel. I'm certain as my first officer, she would add invaluable knowledge to my crew, were I assigned a vessel as captain. I will, of course, gladly serve in whatever capacity I am commanded; great or small."

Bowing again, deeply, he withdrew once bidden.

He knew he came across more haughty than was his habit, but in this case, his standing and circumstance seemed relevant factors in the decision that was being made.

Description :: Theme :: Strife

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:50 am 

A verbal exam, he should of expected this when he decided to take the Captain exam, but for some reason he hadn't thought of it. That was a lack of foresight on his part, and something he would have to look out for in the future.

There was no smile on his lips when he was called forward, instead he stepped forward, taking a moment to provide the proper bows to the two men in charge. Yasuhiro thought for a moment to offer a few words to convey what a honor this was, in the end though he decided not to, these were busy men after all.

Rising to His feat he began the interview, the chill aura that surrounded him ever present, though hopefully it didn't unsettle the two gentlemen in front of him too much. "Before we start, I should like to point out that my answers may be very different then many of the other's here, For while I am a member of the Imperial Explorers, I and also a Bushi and member of the Imperial Marines, though any appointment I receive here may very well supersede my duties as a marine."

"This is important as it affects the way I view my duty and would view any position I was granted. As while I'm an explorer I also am would charged with protecting the other explorers. It's that sense of duty that I would bring to bear in the future. I have studied many thing's over the last few years, gaijin tactics and naval warfare being just a few of those, These will be my primary focus in the future as well, because if we are to encounter any hostile forces it will be we bushi that are to face them.

I feel my training in this will aide in interactions with the Teppodaka marines, who will be on board all of the larger vessels and help us interact better as one cohesive unit. Something I believe could possibly be needed in the future. I have a great amount of experience in the creation and review of tactical maps, which gives me a large advantage in new areas of operations, which is something we can all expect to encounter.

Added to that I have a way with weapons, I believe this can help in our encounter with any hostile gaijin, as understanding someone's weapons and their capabilities in a large step in learning how to counter them. Also to make them our own if such is deemed wise, much like teppo weapons are starting to see larger use. all these things might not make me the best commander in a peaceful mission, but I believe they will prove quite valuable if things do not proceed as peacefully as we hope.

"Thank you for your consideration." With that he moved again to pay the proper respects, and wait to be dismissed before exiting.

---------------------
Chosen Abilities.

Battle(Mass Battle)

Seeking New Paths (Battle)

Crab Hands

Honor: Exceptional | Status: 6.0 | Glory: 4.4| Infamy: 1.0 | Reputation: 1.7 | Notoriety: 1.1

Carries: Daisho, Kimono, Finger of Jade
When allowed: Yumi, Light Armor

Merenaese

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:44 pm 

Zabieru's mood was far lighter than when he had faced the written examination; he had always been a much better speaker than a student and he was confident, to an extent, that he would manage to secure one of the captaincies. Once his name was called he rose from his seat and paced towards the room, confidence pumping through his veins as the door slid shut behind him. It was now or never.

A small smile surfaced upon hearing Yajinden's first question "I am certain many, if not all, of my fellow colleagues, will build upon whats tested yesterday or shall defend a more academic approach," he briefly gauged their expression before continuing. "And I believe they are on the correct path, but not on the right one."

"Knowing the customs of a people might tell you how they are and knowing their language might allow you to comprehend them, yet if one does not adapt to the situation one might, at best, come as forced and stiff and at worst cause grave insult," he took a deep breath. "That is why one of the most important quality a captain has to have is the awareness to perceive this changes, to adapt to the various situations that arise and to sail those as deftly as if it were his own vessel."

"And this does not apply only to those we might encounter. We are embarking on an odyssey that the Empire has never seen before, braving an expanse as barren and deadly as any desert. There will be storms, times when no wind blows and when the ocean seems as merciless as it is calm," he added inflection to his speech to heighten the gravity of those situations. "Moral will dip and people will long for dry land. Here the captain will also have to brave this challenge and use his spirit and charisma to support his crew and comrades. He will have to be a guiding force."

"Yet," his tone darkened. "Words will only take us so far. We are going to be entering a new, bigger, world as the newcomers and we might be perceived by some as an easy prey to take on. I will make certain that does not happen," he stated in a decisive manner. "If they refuse our advances I will respond with fire and blood. Show them that we have come to stay and make sure the lessons they learn from defying our rightful calling, our manifest destiny is imprinted into them for generations to come. And when they pay witness to that," he paused a small smile creeping up. "I will again guide them towards a correct and meaningful relationship with the Empire. Mutual prosperity will be a fitting continuation and testament of the glory of the Empire."

"How do I know this?" he lowered his head. "Because I have been sailing that ocean for most of my life. Those destinations, I have already visited and experienced, and those that would dare hinder the coming glory of the Empire? I have softened and preyed on. None of the other supplicants, barring perhaps the other Tortoise, have ever braved the ocean reducing themselves to coastal adventures. Even among other Tortoises, I have traveled far and wide, discovering places and sights beyond our wildest imaginations," his head remained low. "I did not reap fame because I did not what I did for glory and recognition but in service to my clan and by extension to the Empire. I was rewarded for this by earning more and more responsibilities from my superiors, surpassing the high standards expected from them."

"I am the youngest of four. The chances were always stacked as me and I had to fight twice as hard to reach where I am. Standing before the Imperial Heir to defend my claim to the captaincy of one of the vessels," his tone was as respectful as expected from the situation. "I am certain that I would be the most capable captain of all but I am certain such was said by all supplicants, so instead I will say I am the most experienced of all."

---
Traits chosen:
Awareness
Revel in Villainy
Status 4.5

Equipment: Rapier, navigation tools, light armor when applicable

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:35 pm 

Suihime stepped forward into the interview room, a smile on her face. She looked one of the furthest from a sea-worthy captain; dressed perfectly, hair brushed back and skin much paler than any save perhaps Jama himself. she bowed deeply, and spoke.

"You have met and conversed with many very talented samurai, and most if not all are worthy of the honour of being captains in the journey ahead. But what separates all of us? I believe that my skills and talents would make me best suited to leading rather than following, my lord. A leader must be knowledgeable; the path ahead of us is unknown, we may find things unexplainable and those of lesser knowledge may lead us down the wrong path. Not I. There are few that have studied as deeply as I have, across a wide variety of topics, and I know that whatever we will uncover, my knowledge will guide us to the correct course."

(Using sage)

"As well as this, I have experienced many things. From the courts to the ocean. I have sailed beyond Rokugans borders once already, and leading the Imperial Explorers forward again would not phase me. I have coped with the pressures of expectation without blinking no matter what they are, as is well known, and I can cope with what I will be faced with as a captain."

(Using Glory)

"And, most importantly, I have worked for a man who already is a great leader. Whose skills I have seen and taken to memory. Someone who trusts my skills. I would not be your retainer otherwise, Hantei-denka" Suihime bowed to Jama "I believe I have proven myself to have what it takes to be a captain of this journey, and you would know what to expect from me. I will not fail you, this I assure you."

(Using Allies: Hantei Jama)

"Thank you for listening to my words" she bowed deeply to the men in the room.

Imperial * Captain of the Ashitae Maru * Courtier *Imperial Explorer * Herald * Jama's Retainer * Bookworm * Jinn-Touched * Prolific Pundit on Gaijin Affairs * Gaijin-curious * Princess of the Imperial Navy * Profile
Status: 4.0 | Glory 7.8 | Honour/Faith Exceptional | Reputation 1.3

Languages: Rokugani, Mekhem, Yobanjin, Merenaese, ???

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:46 pm 

"One would think the knowledge how to sail wouldn't be such an afterthought in this particular circumstance." Yajinden couldn't hold the remark back, but Jama silenced him with a gesture of his hand. They all stood in the room back again, waiting for the dictum.

"The roots of evil don't rest in Jigoku, but within the hearts of men."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:58 pm 

The Prince measured them all back once again with his slightly round eyes. He was not one to mince words or engage in idle chatter.

"Suzume Rokuro, you shall take the command of Yamato Maru. The ship shall be the rearguard of the fleet. Your commitment to prudence and loyal service as well as deep understanding in how to manage resources predispose you. Birth and competence matter in equal measure, for those who are born with authority don't have to waste time and effort on earning it. Yogo Akarei, you will serve as your fiance's first mate. We trust the judgement of the Imperial Matchmaker in pairing you, but for the privilege you shall have to prove it is justified. You shall be his navigator, for We put confidence in your ability to read the stars. As for your other talents, it behooves Us to establish the headquarters of the Jade Office for the voyage on Yamato Maru, so your superior Seppun Hikari shall be joining you on the vessel. If we encounter supernatural phenomena beyond our readiness, you shall do all it takes to draw a difference between success and failure of the expedition. Your immediate task is to find a competent boatswain among the Explorers to make up for your deficiencies in seafaring. Does either of you question Our judgement?"

"The great questions of the day will not be decided by courtly discussions or pious prayers to the Heavens, but by blood and iron."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:44 pm 

"Miya Suihime, you shall take the command of Ashitae Maru. As you have mentioned, you are a tested quality to Us, loyal, conscientious, and endowed with the weight of your bloodline. Your versatility and comprehensive study of the gaijin makes your vessel predisposed toward projecting Imperial influence wherever we go. As the Right Hand stands behind the Emperor to punish his enemies, so shall you have a Lion warrior as your first mate. We have been convinced by Matsu Yasuhiro's argument about the importance of retaining a robust capability to strike at the enemies of the Empire, and his ability to do so both in personal combat and in leading a force is noted. Your vessel shall be therefore the headquarters of the Teppodoka Regiment, and the portion of marines known to be the finest shall board it. If heralding the power of the Empire shall be required, you shall be sent forth. Unless you question Our judgement, prepare."

Wataru was not mentioned by name, but neither was any need for a boatswain or a navigator. An accident?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:50 pm 

Rokuro acknowledged the assignment with a silent bow, bringing his forehead to the floor. He made no complaint, but rather began to think how best to handle the coming problems he could sense coming.

Remember the First Lesson...

His betrothed would be the first storm his command would weather, though he was certain it would not be the last.

Description :: Theme :: Strife

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:10 pm 

Suihime bowed deeply, accepting the position without question. She looked to the Lion, her new first mate, and gave him a nod. They would need to meet and speak later.

Imperial * Captain of the Ashitae Maru * Courtier *Imperial Explorer * Herald * Jama's Retainer * Bookworm * Jinn-Touched * Prolific Pundit on Gaijin Affairs * Gaijin-curious * Princess of the Imperial Navy * Profile
Status: 4.0 | Glory 7.8 | Honour/Faith Exceptional | Reputation 1.3

Languages: Rokugani, Mekhem, Yobanjin, Merenaese, ???

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:32 pm 

For a Lion there could be no greater honor, and as his assignment was announced he bowed deeply. He would have a difficult job ahead though, one he would have to polish all his skills for.

The nod from his Captain was returned, Yasuhiro was at her disposal. Probably wise you don't try and push down your Captain, Boy. She is a cute one though.

Honor: Exceptional | Status: 6.0 | Glory: 4.4| Infamy: 1.0 | Reputation: 1.7 | Notoriety: 1.1

Carries: Daisho, Kimono, Finger of Jade
When allowed: Yumi, Light Armor

Merenaese

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:27 pm 

"Kitsu Keiji, you shall command Kunshu Maru, our vanguard, and cut the waters before us like its namesake, the Ancestral Sword of Hantei. Your credentials as a naval commander are beyond reproof, but We also value you for your good judgement, the ability to think strategically in the heat of the situation and to choose the best course of action. Muhaki Berena, you shall be his first mate and navigator. Your extensive knowledge of the open sea, the night sky and the foreign littoral may be unparallelled, but for your talents to flourish for the sake of the voyage you need to be given direction in your duties by a captain whose adherence to Rokugani values and commitment to the Explorers runs much deeper than yours. It is our conviction that the agreement between you both on how to man and equip the vessel shall be sound. Do you question Our judgement?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:29 pm 

Bellena merely smirked and bowed in acknowledgment.

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:03 pm 

“I am honored, my lord Admiral,” Kitsu Keiji replied formally, bowing low. “You can rely on us.”

Stepping back, the captain turned slightly and gave his new first officer a courteous nod.

Page 1 of 2 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next