Login FAQ  
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: The Painted Square (D9, EE)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:01 am 

Figuring that it would still be quite some time until Kenzo returned from his expedition, Utsusemi had decided to finish her work outside somewhere. Apart from the Floral Estates, it didn't really feel like the island had any particular hotspots for artistic inspiration, and even the carefully arranged flowers of the Floral Estates lost its touch eventually. But she remembered seeing the lemon trees around here when Bellena had shown her around, and how refreshing their scents had been.

She still had the light of the declining sun as she worked on her second painting, comfortably sitting on a bench underneath a cluster of lemon trees that let her look out at the plaza. The white hair was done up in a more local style, but the clothes remained decidedly Rokugani, an attire of muted colours in peach and pastel green, with a decorative obi in powder-blue.

A gentle smile settled on her features as she painted, enjoying the feel of being outdoors rather than cooped up inside as she worked on her art.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

Post subject: Re: The Painted Square (D9, EE)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:37 am 

Ruqqayah had a bit of business in the Plaza... it was nothing overly important - she had heard a cousin did business there and was curious to go see him. Another site caught her eye before she got that far, though, a familiar-looking head of white hair, settled behind an array of items that suggested she was painting. The young Unicorn sidled over, curious as to what she was working on, but not wanting to interrupt too much. "Ah, good evening, Agasha-san..."

Carries/Owns: Wakizashi, Tanto, Musket, Fan
Speaks: Rokugani, Mekhem, Yobanjin, Merenaese, Ujik-hai, Senpet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:01 pm 

Utsusemi's gaze lifted from the canvas, smiling as she saw the familiar face of Rukaya.

"Oh, good evening, Iuchi-san," she nodded with a pleasant tone. From what Rukaya could see, it was a painting of bright summer flowers scattered upon a pond, with gentle raindrops clinging to their petals like droplets of silver. Though the droplets seemed more like a warmer colour now in the natural light, as if something in the paint made it more vibrant.

"A pleasure to see you here. How are you?"

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:36 pm 

"I'm doing... very well lately," she replied with a smile. "And yourself?"

"Don't let me interrupt you too much, though. What you're working on is beautiful."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:44 pm 

"Hm, I enjoy the company. It is one of the reasons I sometimes go outdoors when working on my art, though painting is just one of my secondary pursuits," Utsusemi chuckled warmly. "I'm well, though it's been a busy couple of weeks. Believe it or not, today has been the first time in a while now that I've taken time to rest my mind with something as pleasant as this..."

"Do you paint, Iuchi-san?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:41 pm 

"I see... It seems like you would be a busy person. I'm glad you have a chance to relax a little bit today," she replied, voice similarly warm. Her gaze drops a little, though she's still partially smiling. "I don't... I haven't had time for much in the way of hobbies, I've been so focused on my studies."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:02 pm 

"While studies are all well and good, it's important to also partake in pasttimes that relax the mind," Utsusemi offered kindly. "Though, considering I'm an artisan, it is sometimes odd to think that what is my work is also my hobby frequently. But the motifs and themes tend to change if it is work or for fun."

"Like this," she gestured to the painting, "is for a gift, so... hmmm... I suppose it is both work, but also a relaxing pasttime."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:26 pm 

"Ah... I know," she admitted with a little embarrassment. "Sometimes things happen and it's just... easier to throw yourself into work than deal with the outside world. I guess you have to come up for air some time, though."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:54 pm 

The Dragon chuckled. "Coming up for air some time... that is a very apt description of it, indeed," she nodded.

"Would you like to try? I have a blank paper for you, if you wish," Utsusemi lifted her brush slightly, only an inch away from offering it to the Unicorn girl.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:14 pm 

"If you don't mind using your paper for something like that, I'd love to try," she agreed with a nod and a bright smile.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:39 pm 

While she was starting to run low on the paper she had brought with her from Rokugan, Utsusemi would never say that. After all, art was to be shared, and what better way to share it than to let people try it for themselves.

Putting aside her own work for now, paper and paintbrush was offered to Rukaya, along with the lovely colours to paint with as well as water. "It is a little bit like writing, in controlling the brush, but feel free to paint anything that comes to mind."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:14 am 

Ruqqayah tried, bless her heart.
She really, really tried! It wasn't very good. Even she could see that it wasn't going anywhere as she started, but she kept at it with all her stubbornness. "I think I'll need a lot of practice..." After a few moments, she says, "Agasha-san... I hope you will forgive the somewhat personal question, but... You mentioned a husband when we first met. Do you have children, as well?"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:50 pm 

Utsusemi watched the attempt with a calm smile. It was a little endearing to her, as it made her think of her children's attempts with painting.

" Hm, yes," she nodded, "a son and a daughter; Yoshi and Tsumugi." There was both pride and longing in her voice.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:31 pm 

"What is it like?" she asked, focusing on the painting so she doesn't blush too much. Not that it helped, since the painting itself was embarrassing."Having children, I mean."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:08 pm 

Utsusemi raised an eyebrow, her smile growing a little more. "You mean being a mother to children, bearing children, or the birth?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:18 pm 

"Ah... whatever you're comfortable talking about," she replied, a blush crawling up her cheeks a little.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:26 pm 

She did wonder about the inquiry, wondering what had spurred her own to ask about it. Maybe she was to be married soon, or was, for all she knew.

"Bearing forth a child... hm... it has its ups and downs. It's not always going to be pleasant or nice, but it is an experience like no other." Utsusemi felt reminiscent to think about it. "On the downside, you will experience sickness and feelings of discomfort, and the further along you are the harder it is to dress and do many daily tasks you would take for granted." She chuckled softly at that. "I remember I needed help a few times to put on socks."

"But... it's nice. At least it was for me. Carrying them underneath my heart for that time, feeling them grow, sometimes kick or fuss... they were both children that were deeply wanted, so I only loved them more and more with each day."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:37 pm 

Ruqqayah smiled to herself as she listened, nodding as she went. Especially with the last of what Utsusemi said, she seemed to feel reassured. "Having twins seemed to be a bit difficult on my mother from what I remember her mentioning."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:06 am 

"Mm," Utsusemi nodded. "Not that I would know personally, but my older sister had a twin. Mother did say it was more difficult than her other children. Not so much the months of waiting, apart from her burden being larger and heavier, but she did say birthing was quite difficult and tiresome. Which I have no doubt about, as bringing one child into the world is already difficult enough... I can't imagine having to do it twice in the same day like that."

While it was, in a way, a private topic, the older woman had no qualms speaking about it in an open manner. After all, most people who would pass them by wouldn't understand Rokugani, at least not this level of conversation, and well... sooner or later, Rukaya would probably be a mother too, as was expected of women in all societies, Utsusemi had learned.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:17 am 

"It just occurred to me that since I'm a twin it might be more likely..." She mused, then shook her head. "What about the rest of it? Bringing them into the world, as you put it, and being a mother afterward?"

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next