Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm

Page 2 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Bent but Unbroken [LN12]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:59 am 

"Mm... It's something like a dark cloud that's hung over me..." She explained. "It's gone now... Something that was dragging my fate down has released for the moment." She paused for a few moments, thinking back to her half-dream earlier. "I guess whatever darkness my life leads into, I'll drag it there on my own, at least."

Carries/Owns: Wakizashi, Tanto, Musket, Fan
Speaks: Rokugani, Mekhem, Yobanjin, Merenaese, Ujik-hai, Senpet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:31 am 

Hearing this, he breathed more fully. He closed his eyes as he pulled her body closer to kiss the top of her head. "Then it's a blessing. The least I would want is for some dark destiny to thwart us. There are things we must do and we will do them. Many of them may make us villains in the eyes of many."

He puffed, kissing her hair. "You could have seen them yourself thinking just that today, when I sacrificed many lives to retrieve the ships and artifacts Hawthorne took from Sunosa. In their narrow perspectives that was immoral, deplorable even. I imagine in some hearts I crushed the faith in me or even in my line today. I don't know whose loyalty I still have. The expectations weighing on my line are such that few could meet them."

He forced himself to find iron in his heart. "But I shall not be swayed. There's a future I must make unfold. Just like Hantei Jinmu-heika knew his fate and did not yield to the ambitions of his siblings, putting them in line and forging a compact that has brought about the Empire all now so cherish. Just like Hantei Yugozohime-heika did not hesitate to murder her way to the Throne over her own family. If I succeed, all villainy will be erased from the annals anyway. All that will remain in the memories of posterity is the glory of the Empire I will bring back together, one over which Amaterasu shall never set over, with the Ki-Rin with us."

He leaned back.

"I now have better means to do so. I have expanded on your teachings greatly, my love. You knew me as a fledgeling sahir, but I didn't waste my imprisonment by a creature as old as the world. Now I am as powerful as Qanon, Harik and Qadir, maybe even as powerful as Hakhim. To the point of creating magic that hasn't been heard of ever since the Jinn War. My Heavenly Grandmother is not denying me power I claim straight from Her by virtue of my birthright. Hantei Jama and Iuchiban are no longer two people, living in two worlds. In my heart, they are one and the same now."

"The great questions of the day will not be decided by courtly discussions or pious prayers to the Heavens, but by blood and iron."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:52 pm 

Ruqqayah leaned forward and adjusted so she could lean against him, listening. "All I can confirm is Kaiya's. Those around me never flagged, but I couldn't tell you what's in their hearts."

Just like Hantei Yugozohime-heika did not hesitate to murder her way to the Throne over her own family. That brought to mind the previous day, watching Bozu's head roll into the lake. It reminded her of what sacrifices her own ambitions might require her to commit. She clenched her jae silently and refused to cry. She wasn't confident it was a good idea in front of this Ban, this Jama anymore.

When he leaned back, she adjusted her position to partially lean on him. A small amount of envy wormed it's way into her mind, and she recognized how petty it was as soon as it did. He had gone through years, traumatic years full of obvious suffering, maybe even torture for this power he described. The obsessed part of her mind thought that such things would have been nothing for what he'd gained, and that part wanted to remain envious. The rest of her tried to make peace with the jump slowly. A small smile reached her lips despite everything. "I should expect you of all people wouldn't let any opportunity go to waste."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:01 am 

"In adversity lies opportunity, this is what my initial Otomo mentors taught me. Though adversity is a light word for what I have experienced. It is better than some true power is at our disposal, Rukaya, and I much prefer me paying the price for it than you." He let them look in the same direction rather than at each other, pulling her back closer against him while stroking her stomach. "Kaiya?"

"The great questions of the day will not be decided by courtly discussions or pious prayers to the Heavens, but by blood and iron."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:14 am 

"I see your meaning. I've been trying to find that myself, but I only have so much to work with." She let out a breath and stroked her hands over his forearms. "I can do more than anyone else, at least - well... Except probably you, now. I've pulled a man back whose body was dead in all meaningful ways but whose soul hadn't moved on yet." She paused. "More than that would require greater sacrifices. I think I have an idea how in theory, though."

"There was an incident retrieving the map piece from the lepers. She killed the man who guided us. I suspect because he overheard the jinn," she explained. She tried to keep the tightness from her voice - she didn't blame Kaiya, ultimately, and the man behind her needed her to be better than some oversensitive and naive child. Though the current difference put that into relief, and made her see herself that way.

Surely he would prefer someone strong at his side. She was stronger than she had been, but it wasn't enough.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:43 am 

He wasn't complaining; as his hands wandered it was clear he considered her an adult woman, and his.

"To conquer death is the one thing I didn't study too much. The temptation would be too great. We both saw Hawthorne, and this is not what I want either of us to become. The best way for your brother's soul to return is through reincarnation, my Spell."

His strokes across her body were becoming more what they had used to be.

"Tell me exactly what the jinn said."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:05 am 

She took a deep breath to resist allowing any sharpness into her voice when she replied. There was a shudder to the breath, though. She was having to work harder to hold back tears - her body tensed with the effort to try and stay strong. "Hawthorne's situation isn't the same as this. I guess the differences are probably academic from anyone else's perspective, though."

Speaking of things she didn't want to relive. "So it shall be, for you and the son of a greater lineage in your womb. The thread of Awakening is being spun now. For the second coming of the defiant scion of Shilah and Kaleel, I shall be ready fourfold among my bahiya, so I shall give no quarter to Sayel."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:48 am 

There was a silent moment during which he did nothing but waiting till her shudder would die in his embrace. He was not a one to argue; if he disagreed, he simply moved past the issue.

"Kaiya is one of my most trusted and loyal retainers. I have charged her with protecting my secrets. Many of them are known to her. What the man overheard would have brought jeopardy on you and our child if it had fallen on wrong ears. She is an honorable woman, and she dispatched the man at a personal sacrifice to protect you both." He rested his hand on her abdomen again. "This is what it means to be samurai, to be able to give up what one holds dear for a greater purpose embodied in their lord's will and wellbeing. If our son's future is imperilled, there is only one witness to be held accountable."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:04 pm 

She nodded. "That's what I thought. That's why I said I could confirm that, if nothing else."

He doesn't need me at all... I've provided nothing that he couldn't have gotten somewhere else... I can't say I've become useless if I was never useful in the first place. Idiot Ruqqayah.

He did marry me.

Maybe I'm a political tool.

Did he ever give that impression? I'm sure I'm more than that. I know he loves me. I need to calm down.

She wiped her eyes with the heel of her hand, not bothering to hide the movement.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:22 pm 

He was quiet for a time. "It doesn't seem like my return has brought you happiness. My love for you has sustained me throughout the ordeal as not once have I doubted you. But you behave as if you do not know me any more and find reasons to doubt me."

He released her and pulled himself up.

"It looks like even I am susceptible to naivete."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:50 pm 

"My doubt is with myself, not you... I'm sorry... I didn't mean anything like that..." Her voice became thick. "I've done so much that wasn't useful at all this year..." She let out a held breath.

"And you're... amazing."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:10 pm 

He took a deep sigh, then leaned down and scooped her from the bath, helping her to sit astride on his thighs as he perched on the rim of the bath himself. He looked into her eyes.

"Of course I am. I would not have had you if I were mediocre. A woman with birthright, destiny and capability that surpasses others' by great margins, the one worthy to be my Empress even before I can be her Emperor. I will not tire us both by listing your accomplishments but I would not have succeeded and become the man I am without you. All that makes me think you are just provoking me to prove my commitment to you by taking you fiercely."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:17 pm 

She let out a small chuckle, sniffing a little as she met his eyes with her slightly red-rimmed ones. At the end, she wrapped her arms around his, embracing him closely. "It wasn't, but I'm certainly not opposed to the attempt."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:37 pm 

"Attempt, Rukaya?" A shade of amusement crossed his face as he leaned in to kiss her eyes. "I've waited years."

/FtB

Page 2 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2