Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

Page 2 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Colors of a thousand words (LM day 13)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:17 pm 

"As I collect grullarte, if your familiarity extends to actual painting, I could extend my patronage in return."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:30 pm 

She bowed slightly. "Don Almeria is more than welcome to see my humble skill before making a decision." Utsusemi indicated the wrapped painting she carried.

She had already giftes him one painting before, but it had been sent by messenger like the one to Yubari, so she did not fault him for not making the connection.

Last edited by Agasha Utsusemi on Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:02 pm 

He indeed didn't make the connection, but now he pointed to the table where she could display her art.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:58 pm 

Removing the protective wrapping, Utsusemi laid out the painting for both men to see. At Susumu's suggestion, she had decided to paint people rather than the nature scenes she preferred, and after her conversations with Hinami she had done her best to capture the grace and beauty of the Imperial princess. The colours were vibrant and had a beautiful sheen in the light, and it bore the same signature as the painting Juan had recieved from her before.

Utsusemi bowed her head and awaited judgement. If she was to improve her painting, she knew she had to continually work at it, as she had with her poetry.

----

D12 Artisan: Painting/Awareness commission. +1k1 Void. 3 raises. TN 30: 8d10o10k5 43

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:41 pm 

Juan dropped into his chair, his gaze glued to the painting. He pressed his lips together to prevent their trembling but a small tear welled up and rolled out from his socket despite his best attempts not to show emotion. It was some time before he smoke.

"I wish to sponsor you if you are amenable, Senorita. Please name the price of this piece."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:54 pm 

Utsusemi politely did not draw attention to the Governor's emotions, but she felt rather touched herself... that she had managed to stir such emotion in a gaijin, it was a small bolster to her own wounded soul. It seemed true what Hinami had said, that he was a noble soul.

And art could transcend background, birth, and culture.

"You honour me," she bowed once more, and looked to Susumu. This was the part for him to step in for, after all, as he had volunteered himself to be the mediator in matters of commerce.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:21 pm 

This man clearly liked fine fine art it seemed. He estimated that he could sell the painting himself for...around twenty kokus? Knowing that he should ask for twenty-five of thirty and with the haggling it should come down to around the expected price...but Don Juan did not seem in the mood for normal haggling.

Susumu stroke his chin, pondering

''I do believe a hundred silver pieces would be a fair price as a share of the profits will be given to the temple of Sadahako.''

That went against his instincts but this was...spiritual work? He figured the newly minted Fortune would enjoy a better distribution of art over an increased profit margin.

''...he was a paragon of courtesy...''

Status 4 (5 for mantis and peasants)/Glory 8.4/Reputation 4.3/ Honor: What is expected (GASP!)
Equipment (visible):
-always: Double Kama, wakizashi, jade finger
-when appropriate: light armor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:45 pm 

Juan reached to his drawer and produced a purse that looked like twice that.

"This painting is worth more, and like I said I wish to support this artistic enterprise."

[Both Susumu and Utsusemi have each 20 koku at disposal which they can cash in, or they can treat it as 5 points of Advantages to buy Wealth (1 per rank), buy-off Debt (1 per rank, interest forgone) or buy Letter of Authorisation (3)]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:12 am 

''Your offer is quite generous Don Juan, I am certain the temple will put this to good use'' the mantis said with a polite smile

(Susumu will take Letter of Authorisation and eight kokus)

Last edited by Gusai Susumu on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Status 4 (5 for mantis and peasants)/Glory 8.4/Reputation 4.3/ Honor: What is expected (GASP!)
Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:18 am 

Well, if commerce was that easy, Utsusemi might've considered giving it a try more in the future herself. But she was surprised at how generous Juan was, and she couldn't quite manage to hide some of the surprise in her eyes before she inclined her head gratefully.

Huh... a patron of the arts?

"Arigato gozaimasu," she said politely, forgetting her Merenaese for a moment.

---

Utsusemi will choose to remove the minor Debt (1), gain one more rank of Wealthy (1), and a Letter of Authorization (3) with the Almerias - solidifying the connection between her and the Almerias through their patronage of her art.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:06 pm 

"I am more interested in fostering your personal development, as artists and as businesspeople. Speaking of, Senorita, would you be amenable to study my art collection as I see to a certain issue with your Mantis friend?" Juan rolled up the painting tenderly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:13 pm 

Oooo! I wonder what sort of art he has collected! If he collects Crane art, maybe a Doji Ayano?

Utsusemi nodded. "I would very much like that, yes. Thank you, señor."

Well, now she had an additional reason to improve her painting.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:51 pm 

"Here at the bank there's just a fraction of it; my assistant will lead you there. If you ever come back to the hacienda, I will show you the rest, or if I am not around I'll leave instructions with my butler."

And he would have a Doji Ayano. Those Tortoise art smugglers, so notorious. After proper parting words, he would refill the wine glasses.

"Senor, the idea I had was a sensitive one. Because of uncertain times in my own country my family shall need to ferry some of its assets back. Those assets may come as investment in arms and mercenaries from places where a Merenaese vessels could be calling for scrutiny... How familiar are you with the geography of the eastern seas?"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:23 pm 

Susumu thanked his host for the refill, seeming very interested in the question's intent

''While I am an experience sailor I must admit I am unfamiliar with those seas''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:41 pm 

"I suppose that's because the Tortoise have been guarding their knowledge about the world closely, right?"

Juan mused.

"I might share some maps and sea charts with you if it means you will help my family. As Quijanos seem to be the new favourites of the Tortoise, and the Aberri scoundrels of your Prince, we may be compelled to reconsider our options."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:07 pm 

''That is an interesting proposition Don Juan'' The mantis replied as he arched an eyebrow

''But what help would your family need?''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:17 pm 

Juan raised brows. "To make it more explicit, to bring the military assets my brother has mustered abroad to Merenae. His operations are based on Anisrana. While I have no detailed knowledge how much shipping capacity he has already organised, I surmise ferrying knights needs a lot of capacity. That is at least what they write in history books about the times of Sheel expansion east."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:42 pm 

''So you want me to ferry military equipment and personnel back to Merenae...'' The Mantis mulled over this

''My ship is but a humble merchant one I am afraid. I am certainly interested in helping you but will it truly be usefull?''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:29 pm 

"Oh, you cannot be serious, Senor." Juan was not impressed by this remark. "No ship that has arrived here with your Prince came here primarily as a merchant vessel. If my information is correct, just in these waters yours was in two sea encounters already. Besides, ferrying troops and transporting weapons is not far removed from civilian purposes. For me, it's purely a matter of your readiness to be involved. When you approached me with a suggestion, I thought you were serious about aligning interests."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:42 pm 

''I am'' he smirked

''But as any good merchant I must evalutate the risks and the profitability of any action.'' he let out a sigh ''Please do not take this personnal, Don Juan, but as I have ultimately little stakes in what happen in you homeland then the question is what can I get from supporting a faction over an other. I do not dislike you and I wish for a good relationship between out faction but...while maps and charts are valuable, they can be acquired throught other means.''

Equipment (visible):

Page 2 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next