Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

Page 3 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: Colors of a thousand words (LM day 13)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:13 pm 

"I see. Then I suppose we will conclude the business on the art alone. It's how it works, Senor, those who don't support Almerias in time of need cannot count on too much of goodwill once our prosperity is secured. It's quite natural if you think about it. The nature of trade is to give something up to get something you didn't have, isn't it?"

Juan didn't change his tone, but looked away toward the window.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:35 pm 

''True...but are there not better ways to help?'' he mused

''Although it can help, not everything need to be a show of force''

''...he was a paragon of courtesy...''

Status 4 (5 for mantis and peasants)/Glory 8.4/Reputation 4.3/ Honor: What is expected (GASP!)
Equipment (visible):
-always: Double Kama, wakizashi, jade finger
-when appropriate: light armor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:04 am 

"Well, maybe you're trying to sell pears to someone who wants apples, but I'll listen. Make an offer."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:30 am 

''I could help you win but victories are relative to the goals we set up for ourselves'' he advanced ''If the crown is lost to you then that does not mean your house cannot profit from the turmoil and emerge better then before.''

He stoke his chin

''You are a banker, Don Juan, so you know the power the coin has. Armies and Kingdoms cannot be kept on goodwill alone: they require funds and funds need proper administration. Furthermore you only focus on the short term.''

he sipped his glass

"You may or may not know this but a war with Thrane is likely to come after the new king is crowned...and I will not surprise you by saying that wars are costly. depending on what goal you want for your house you will still be winners despite not having the crown.''

Status 4 (5 for mantis and peasants)/Glory 8.4/Reputation 4.3/ Honor: What is expected (GASP!)
Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:48 am 

"This is not an offer, Senor, but musings."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:01 am 

''Yes, but I want to understand were I a am coming from. I propose we adopt the manner of the Crane Clan: support another faction but make your house indispensible to them, allowing you to push for the proper concessions.''

He sipped some more

''As to how...you know more about your homeland then I. Any ideas?''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:50 am 

"I do have ideas. But what I fail to see is your potential role in making them be substantiated. Your ideas are not wrong either, but what I again fail to see is your potential role in making them be substantiated."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:54 am 

''Then the only thing I can really do is to ferry your brother's men and arms?''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:00 am 

"The other thing you could do is to give me an idea what assets at your disposal could lead to favourable outcomes for my family. And yet the other would be to return to small talk and end this honest attempt with no substance but good mood."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:18 am 

''I have my ship, a nimble and fast one that can sail rivers, and a letter of authorisation to act as a privateer against Thranish vessels. I am a sailor and buisness man of no small skill and like you know I can handle myself in warfare.''

He frowned

''My pull in the commercial world is certainly less then yours but I could get backing from my clan but aside from opening the Rokugani market to your family via my own...I doubt they will be of immediate help for the bid for Merenea.''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:26 am 

"And how would you expect me to respond to such credentials?"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:32 am 

Susumu went silent for a moment and crossed his fingers

''I don't know but you are not a fool but I am not a fool either. I would enjoy not being treated like one.''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:02 am 

"Let's talk like a banker with a merchant then. I can give you a handsome loan with a margin for me like into a risky venture investment. If you bring the results that will benefit my family, I forego the interest and proportionally cut off a part of the due amount, leaving you with a very good margin. If not, you pay in full."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:39 am 

Susumu frowned

''So I am a fool to you" He certainly did not look pleased ''I do not need a loan.''

He began to drum his fingers on his chair

''It is you who ask me to invest in your family, Don Juan, and I know well what that means. Your brother holds my clan and I in contempt, had his men burn down the house of a friend, almost spat on me when I met him on this island and his dear wife despises the Prince I serve. I have thus no incentive to work with your family on anything.''

He stares at the banker, grim

''But you already know of this...and you still ask me to help you 'in your time of need'. That would be either because you think I am an easy pawn to acquire or because your need is great indeed.''

He tilted his head

''Like you said, the nature of trade is to give something up to get something...but it is also offer and demand. If the demand is great then prices go up...and in this situation, you are the buyer. I asked to speak to you at the ball because I thought that could be put aside...but I still will not put myself into a losing position over something so little as maps and charts I could acquire throught legitimate means.''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:58 am 

"I think this conversation has stopped to be gentlemanly by my standards, Senor. I pride myself on being a rather accommodating man who does not form opinions on hearsay but on his own discernment. If I had followed Jose's judgement of your Clan we would not have met at all. It seems to me that you've approached me to seek some special privileges, rights or acknowledgements I have no true incentive to grant for mere assurances and speculations without you extending the courtesy of elaborating on their feasibility. I would not have accomplished the position I hold if I had been indulging in lack of prudence."

Juan sighed.

"You may be a resourceful man, Senor, but it doesn't make you the last slice of pie on the table. You are one man with one ship, because I don't truly think you have the credentials to speak for your superior; it is your lord's betrothed that has arranged a trade route between your home and this island. While I have every credentials to represent La Familia Hidalgo de Almeria. There is an asymmetry in credibility between us thus you refuse to acknowledge and address. I won't blame you for your sense of self-entitlement, you may well have good reasons for it, but to try to turn the table on me in my own office is a bit too much."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:02 am 

''I only wish for an equitable deal, Senor'' he replied

''I already have done a few favors for your family, even if you don't know it. Do you wish me to elaborate on that?''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:10 am 

"What deal, Senor? I don't think there's one on the table at the moment, before we even consider how you understand equitability. But please, elaborate. If nothing else, I will at least learn more of your mindset."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:24 am 

''I knew of Lady Katarina's heritage long before we landed here, before her and her husband even knew...and that information could have earned me quite a lot from those who deemed her a threat to their political goals.'' He paused ''Especially since nobody else knew I was aware''

''But I held my tongue...I even tried to warn your brother, to get him to speak to a mutual friend as soon as he could. Why? Because in last resort I could have landed a hand without anyone anticipating it. He did not listen to me and endangered his wife and son...but at least I am glad they could escape the island. I held my tongue because I will not sacrifice innocents for someone else's ambitions...''

He crossed his arms

''But then there is the deamon in the inn he used to own. The caged tiger was in fact a Rakshasa of the Ivory Kingdoms...was because now it has freed itself or someone acted on its behalf. I have to ask: was your brother aware? I would like to think not but it still makes me uneasy.''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:40 am 

Juan narrowed his eyes.

"There is a word in all tongues for attempts to incur favours and gratitude for evils and troubles one hasn't brought upon another despite having the alleged knowledge and ability to do so. I guarantee you, Senor, if you have done any of the things you didn't or haven't you would experience a much more profound sense of... unease. A Merenaese I would challenge for threatening my family and slighting its name, but as you don't seem to be a man of integrity or in possession of a rapier, I will politely ask you to leave. You are not a man I wish further dealings with, even if it may cost me. I am a man of my word so the bills of payment you've received today will be honoured, exactly once. I wish you a good day."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:56 am 

''I did not threaten your family. I you do not recognise honor and mercy when you see it then we truly do not have anthing else to speak about.''

He raised from his seat

''I certainly will not have anything to do with anyone I suspect of dealing with foreing evils. May the god you pray to have mercy.''

Equipment (visible):

Page 3 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3