Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: (Day 5, EA) A shipment of silk and spices
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:52 pm 

Susumu walked into the offices of the brokers, amazed by how busy everything was. Trade clearly had a different place here then in Rokugan.

He presented himself and spoke of a rendez-vous he took earlier

''...he was a paragon of courtesy...''

Status 4 (5 for mantis and peasants)/Glory 8.4/Reputation 4.3/ Honor: What is expected (GASP!)
Equipment (visible):
-always: Double Kama, wakizashi, jade finger
-when appropriate: light armor

Post subject: Re: (Day 5, EA) A shipment of silk and spices
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:39 pm 

Under a sycamore tree he was approached by a young man dressed in the way of the Burning Sands, with a small red fez cap on his head.

"Sidi? Senor?" The man tied both languages.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:48 pm 

Susumu bowed respectfully to the man

''Good afternoon senor, I am Captain Gusai Susumu. I am here to negociate the sell of my cargo. I do hope I am not importuning you.''

He smiled

Status 4 (5 for mantis and peasants)/Glory 8.4/Reputation 4.3/ Honor: What is expected (GASP!)
Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:50 pm 

"Oh, depending on the size of that cargo, House al-Basiri may be interested. But details are better discussed inside, is it not right, Senor?" The young man pointed to one of the more sumptuous tenements along the Plaza.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:10 pm 

''Certainly, please lead the way Senor...'' A house from the sand? That sounded like a good option

And with that he followed the man inside. when installed the captain specified the kind of cargo he had

''I have a shipment of 15 bolts of Silk cloth, 30 units of mid-range spices and 10 units of High-range ones. I also have 30 to 40 bottles of sake.''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:50 am 

"Are all men from your lands so eager to get down to business? And where is proper conduct and decorum?"

A jovial, sumptuously dressed man of significant physical stature who lounged in the room with lots of rich pillows and carpets laughed. He was stirring some hot herbal brew in a tall, thin glass. His Merenaese was harsh and unnatural but it was not because of his mood but the original Mekhemic accentuation.

"Even before salaam alaikum, names, family questions, business profile, mint or coffee?"

The man straightened. "I would throw you out if I were not curious. Come sit, trader from afar."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:51 pm 

Susumu Bowed deeply to the jovial man taking an apologetic demeanor

''I must apologise Senor, I have yet to understand the proper way of doing things here'' He began, his merenaese not really better

He came sit near the man as instructed, trying not to seem overly eager nor reluctant.

''Where I come from commerce is considered to be...something...boorish, if you would excuse the term. While my Clan and I have a wildly different attitude towards it, those who we interact with usually want it over as soon as possible. Thus my straightforward attitude'' He gave the man a smile ''I am quite delighted that the attitude here is not so''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:07 pm 

"Such barbarity in where you come from. Commerce is the art of life! Good I talk with an enlightened one."

The man stroked his beard.

"What is your name again?"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:39 pm 

Susumu bowed again. Unlike many time before, the man he was speaking to gave him good expectations

''I am Gusai Susumu of the Mantis clan. I came on this island as a captain in Prince Hantei Jama's exploration fleet.''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:35 pm 

"Ah the expedition! Many people talk about it, but I ask: where's the profit in this? And it looks like I have been asking the right question since yesterday."

The man laughed.

"I am Anwar ibn Badr al-Basiri. My father is the richest Merchant Prince of the Jewel of the Desert, and maybe in the world. My elder sister is the esteemed wife of the Grand Mufti. House al-Basiri is everywhere, in Aqahba, in Khanbalik, in Rakisraka, everywhere. And who are those people of your clan, Si Soosoom al-Ghouzawi?"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:51 pm 

Susumu laughed as well

''The Prince did not have mercantile goals when coming here but an entrepreneur like myself could hardly let go of the opportunity''

Now into the question

''But you wish to know of the Mantis Senor? We are a clan of sailors before all else! We are both merchants and warriors in equal part and our ambition is to sail the seas that were denied of us for decades now and forge new trade relations. We were founded by Kaimetsu-Uo the son of Osano-wo, who is our God of thunder and fire, and grand-son of Lord Hida, the brother of Lady Shinjo...''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:16 pm 

"I am not asking about gods of antiquity or fancies, Si al-Ghouzawi, but about the commercial potential of your family right now. Business is never between individuals, but between families. If I start dealing with you it is not for one-time gain. I don't seek those. I am interested in long-standing partnerships that is based on credibility. Say I choke on a date tomorrow, having taken your cargo but haven't paid for it yet. You must then come to another al-Basiri to settle it, and he will, for our name is everything. But same goes for you. Are you just one man, or you have a real family standing behind you?"

Anwar waved a hand on a skimpily dressed male servant.

"Bring us coffee. And mint. and chocolate."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:26 pm 

Susumu gave a nod

''I am the direct vassal of Gusai Ryoshida, our Champion, and the one to convince him that the Mantis should be represented in this endeavor. Should something happen to me then Gusai Wataru is also part of this trip as well as Miya Suihime and Seppun Kaiya. The last two are not members of our clan yet but members of the imperial families to be betrothed to my champion and myself. As for the commercial potential of my clan, we currently are the sole providers of Invidi goods to the Rokugani market and have spice plantations of our own. Thus not only can we provide Rokugani wares but also Invidi ones as well.''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:45 pm 

"So you have close ties with your king through princesses, both you and your sheikh, good good. THis is what a wise trader does, being on the good side of the ruler, best all of them." Anwar smacked his lips in appreciation. "But we trade with Maharaja for spices directly, so dealing in those would be like bringing sand to the desert, unless those from your plantations are cheaper. Prices of nutmeg and mace have gone up, I wouldn't mind cheaper suppliers even if it's an additional oceanic risk and transport cost. Hmmm."

Coffee, chocolate and peppermint were brought, all hot, all in appropriate containers to sample.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:13 pm 

Susumu frowned and stroke his beard calculating a few things.

''Both mace and nutmeg can grow in our clitmate ad we should have a shorter route to the Ivor Kingdom...I guess our prices on these could be around ten, perhaps fifteen percent cheaper...''

After mulling over the numbers he gave the merchant lord a smile

''...but I suppose we could go down to twenty percent in our relation with yourself and your house.''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:46 pm 

"This is more than reasonable." Anwar nodded, encouraging Susumu to partake with a gesture. "Quality is of couse an issue but in the spirit of our excellent meeting I will trust you on our first transaction and accept your spice without prior inspection. If they are not good enough, my short-term loss but your long-term loss, Si al-Ghouzawi. Trust is everything in business. Distrust costs a lot and brings the price to unreasonable levels."

The merchant prince laughed happily.

"You'll settle with my assistant. Now let's enjoy the treats! Do you know chocolate? It's a rare treat, produced from a crop called kakaw."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:10 pm 

The gave a smile and a nod

"I sadly do not know this delicacy, we have not encountered kakaw yet"

He looked fairly interested in the idea

"But I do wonder Si al-Basiri, does your House only deal in spices? If you would allow it, I am curious as to what my clan might purchase from you for Rokugani markets. I am quite certain a two way trade from priviledged partners would yield greater dividends for both our families."

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:46 am 

"Privileged partners sounds a little too presumptuous, my friend. That requires time. But we deal with more or less everything. Is there a cargo you seek in particular?"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:05 pm 

''Mantises often are seen as such...'' he said with a grin ''...but condider it as a sign of our interest of making this work''

He mused for a second

''This chocolate and Kakaw certainly seems interesting''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:44 pm 

"I think this can be arranged. The taste is quite bitter unless aptly processed, however, an acquired taste that won't satisfy sweet teeth! Once prepared, however..."

He popped a chip into his mouth and smiled in delight.

"Mmmmmm."

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next