Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Circles [EN7, Closed]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:16 am 

"This is something I would tell you eventually, but not tonight. I wish to be meeting you more often, however, as long as you are ready to be very discreet about it." He looked at her with some curiosity.

"The great questions of the day will not be decided by courtly discussions or pious prayers to the Heavens, but by blood and iron."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:40 am 

"I am willing to do that... I would have asked if you hadn't," Ruqqayah admitted with a nod. "That said, when and where would work for you to speak again? Respecting your wish for discretion, it might be better to decide now than try to communicate about it later."

Carries/Owns: Wakizashi, Tanto, Musket, Fan
Speaks: Rokugani, Mekhem, Yobanjin, Merenaese, Ujik-hai, Senpet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:12 am 

"If you follow the river upstream, at the verge of governor's lands, just before the jungles, there is a deserted water mill. Near the Painted Square in Little Aqahba there is a house of a music notator, al-Urmawi, and there is a room by the inner courtyard of the Flying Carpet. I will often be in one of those places in the late hours." He looked into her eyes again. "I believe you'll be able to tell which."

"The great questions of the day will not be decided by courtly discussions or pious prayers to the Heavens, but by blood and iron."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:06 am 

She nodded slowly. "Yes... I believe so." As strange as it is... "I look forward to it." She smiled slightly and inclined her head. "Pardon me, I shouldn't keep the two of you any longer." She pushed up to a full standing position and bowed her head toward them more formally.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:11 pm 

"I want to keep you for longer, if you wish to accompany me." He straightened before her to say that; he was average in height at best but still much taller than her. "This evening has been better for me since we met."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:35 pm 

Her expression brightened, looking up toward him as she nodded. "I'm glad my presence has helped improve it. I'd be happy to accompany you for as long as you wish."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:44 pm 

"Then walk with me." He gestured back toward La Nueva Esperanza, toward its portside. "I may be taking quite a bit of your time then. I don't feel like sleeping tonight."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:52 pm 

She steps up to walk next to him. "That is quite understandable... I was having trouble sleeping, myself, anyway. This seems a much better way to spend that time than futile tossing and turning."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:00 pm 

"I shall take care that your time with me shan't be an exercise in futility." As they were both off the bridge the silent figure there turned and followed. Ban was directing their steps toward the Plaza de Contratacion. "There is much we can talk about. You are a sahir, aren't you?"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:20 pm 

She followed, looking forward to see where they were going. She hadn't explored too much since the previous day. "The night is already much improved. Anyway, yes, I am, in my family's particular method."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:50 pm 

He nodded. "I guessed from your name. I think رقيّة means charm or spell. I find it quite fitting, also because of my impression about your company."

He let that hang between them for a moment. They eventually approached one of the bigger estates at the Plaza, but from a side-alley. Ban gestured for the shadowed man to open the door, and he did with a key he had. The place inside was barely lit, with lamps dimmed, but the cloaked one added fuel to the fire in them, and a relatively sumptuous corridor in an eclectic colonial style revealed itself to them, ending in a staircase. There were paintings on both sides, and a nymph-like sculpture in the rosette of the staircase.

"We should find some comfort here."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:13 pm 

"Ah... I see. Many of my family are sahir, as well." The darkness inside was fortunate, as it gave Ruqqayah a few moments to recover from turning a little bit red. It's faded by the time the lights come up. "It's a beautiful place. I take it you have an interest in linguistics?"

The wild thought rose in her head that she'd gone alone to a place through a back alley with two strangers. There was a momentary thought that she really should be more worried than she was... Maybe her naivete was finally going to be her end here. Somehow, though, it was hard to get worked up into more than a passing worry.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:23 pm 

"The Iuchi have accomplished what spellcasters in Rokugan cannot do." He nodded in agreement as they walked down the corridor and began to climb up the staircase. The man behind closed the door and kept a respectful distance. He did emanate danger, but Ban's presence was restraining him. "I am interested in the world as a whole, in all its cultures. I have always been. Languages are a part of it. I suppose you also speak quite a few."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:49 pm 

She followed him up the staircase curiously. "Yet we've lost quite a bit, as well... One of the reasons I hope we can start off on the right foot with the explorers," she mused. "It would be hard to get by at home with just one or two, though it's also an interest. My research here has been in other cultures."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 pm 

"I think that those who lose nothing have no drive to accomplish anything. Suffering is at the start of many great things." He mused as they entered a room arranged for Mekhemic guests: carpets, veils, cushions a table with nargil. A faint scent of coffee and cloves lingered in the air. "And what have you discovered?" Ban waved for his shadow to remain on the other side of the door. He removed the cloak and cast it to the side, revealing a black-silver kimono beneath.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:04 pm 

She nodded. "True. It was not for nothing," she agreed. She considered how to respond to that as she followed him in. "I have been able to fill in some of our missing knowledge of Senpet culture and rituals."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:11 pm 

"Interesting. Why Senpet?" He moved to a bookshelf beyond the veils to browse the tomes, gesturing for her to follow if she willed it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:20 pm 

Her eyes follow him as he heads over to the bookshelves. As he invited her over, some part of her decided to take a small risk. She stepped up closer this time than the respectful distance she'd maintained before. "Their culture, writing system, and language are all fascinating on their own... I also specialize in life magic. I thought that to fully understand that, it's important to understand the other side of that coin, and they're experts in that field."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:28 pm 

He seemed estranged neither by her closeness nor by the topic. Rather, he picked out the tome and opened it, browsing it while she stood beside. It actually contained rubayyat rather than any arcane secrets. "Ah, the apocryphal Senpet Book of the Dead. I wonder if it truly exists." He mused. "So you're a healer who likely hopes that death can be mitigated or even reversed."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:39 pm 

"Portions do... Whether they're legitimate and whether an entire version exists is a whole different question." She glanced over the books in the shelf, scanning the titles as she listened before glancing down toward what she held. "A fondness for poetry?"

Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next