Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Circles [EN7, Closed]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:27 pm 

A cloaked figure left the church after dark, and strode quietly but confidently down the street toward a bridge over the Puahu River leading to the Unicorn side of the East Port. A silent, equally cloaked shadow followed the nocturnal stroller.

Post subject: Re: Circles [EN7, Closed]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:21 pm 

A third figure stood in the darkness of the night, in their path, hooded themselves. No, not hooded on second glance, but wearing a scarf on their head in a way not uncommon to those of the Burning Sands. Iuchi Ruqqayah looked toward the approaching figures curiously. She just couldn't sleep and had come to clear her head. The cloaks made her wonder if they were doing something more specific.

Still, she dipped her head toward them. No sense in pretending she didn't see at this point. Just an acknowledgement that they could respond to or not as they wished.

Carries/Owns: Wakizashi, Tanto, Musket, Fan
Speaks: Rokugani, Mekhem, Yobanjin, Merenaese, Ujik-hai, Senpet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:25 pm 

The figure stopped in the middle of the bridge and leaned against the stone parapet facing the river's estuary. It looked toward the light on Torre Oriental, then toward the illuminations of the Purple Mosque on the other side. The other remained behind, retaining a respectful distance, but Ruqqayah could feel a gaze on her.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:44 pm 

She had no idea who these people were, or why they were here. The silence felt awkward, but perhaps that was just because she was being stared at from somewhere in the midst of the shadows of the hood. Possibly because of the moving past without so much as a nod. Were they explorers, seeing the night view here for the first time? Or locals simply enjoying it. She had no idea which language to use, so... no point worrying about it, especially when she tended to choose wrong usually anyway.

"Good evening... It's quite the view from here, even this late at night." The spinner in her head landed on explorer. They'd either ignore her or act confused if she was wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:06 pm 

"It is." The man looking into the ocean said with a touch of melancholia to his voice, replying in Merenase. "Not reaching as far as I would like though." Then in Mekhem.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:19 pm 

He understood, at least, and she learned at least one was male. She followed his lead, moving into Mekhem. She stepped toward the railing, as well, but maintained a respectful distance. "What did you hope to see?" He seemed down, and so her voice was quiet, gentle without being pitying, and a touch curious.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:31 pm 

"Your kin believes in the journey... " He then spoke in the Rokugani of Ruqqayah's forebears, shfting to the one Kami had taught the tribes. "But even for you, there must be some beginning and some end. Even if it is the same place, having gone full circle. Yours would be on Seppun Hill? Mine may be there." He gestured toward the eastern ocean.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:00 pm 

"There is, though often the end ends up as the beginning of the next," she replied, looking out to the east herself. "Perhaps. My people's journey will likely be that sort of circle. My personal journey may lead east, though."

"Do you hope to find something out there?"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:41 pm 

"I do have hope. This is the most I have, along with my thought and my will."

He turned toward her. His dark eyes flickered in the light of Torre Oriental reflected by the bay. He was young and handsome, exuded an aura of dignity. It was hard to tell in this light whether he was more Rokugani or Merenaese, but his almond-shaped eyes made him being a hafu hard to obscure. There was a touch of grief in his gaze.

"I am determined to make impossible possible."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:53 pm 

She sensed the gaze, saw him turn from the corner of her eye, and looked back toward him, as well. She watched him carefully, surprised to see her thoughts and words reflected back toward her by a stranger. Grief and determination echoed back at her. It showed on her face for a moment before she closed her eyes and nodded, the barest hint of a smile touching her lips.

"We have that determination in common." She opened her eyes, the light lighting up the pale green briefly. "I'm Iuchi Ruqqayah. May I ask your name?"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:05 pm 

He looked for that moment in her green eyes, exploring what of her soul they reflected. Then nodded.

"We do." His lips twitched a bit. "It's a pleasure, Yuezhi Ruqqayah-san. Call me... Ban*."

He inclined his head.

"It intrigues me what I can see in your eyes."

--

*'Half' in Pre-Kami Rokugani (aka Chinese)

--

[Iuchi Ruqqayah can pick Kharmic Tie: Hantei Jama for no cost.]

"The great questions of the day will not be decided by courtly discussions or pious prayers to the Heavens, but by blood and iron."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:22 pm 

She tilts her head to the side curiously. "Ban... It is a pleasure." She felt a bond to this man, an odd, unspoken connection she couldn't rightly determine the source of. "What do you see?" She had her own curiosity about what she'd seen in his, as well, but first things first.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:26 pm 

"Loss." He replied simply, taking a step toward the woman and returning to lean against the railing, now beside her. "I understand it. My father died today." He said quietly.

"The great questions of the day will not be decided by courtly discussions or pious prayers to the Heavens, but by blood and iron."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:35 pm 

"I saw the same in you... It's a familiar expression." She agreed with a nod, shifting to lean against the railing, as well. "I wondered." She was quiet for a moment. "My twin brother passed not long ago."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:51 pm 

"Leaving many things unfinished, his destiny thwarted. Now it's just you." Ban asserted with a touch of wistful grimness. "My own brother almost died, but a scholar saved him. We have ever been estranged though. He never believed in my father's legacy. He is far away now, and I am sure he doesn't miss me."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:08 pm 

"Precisely," she agreed with a certain amount of sadness, but also that undercurrent of determination that had been in her eyes earlier. "It sounds like a difficult situation. What is his legacy that he wouldn't believe in it?"

She paused and looked toward him. "Please forgive my curiosity if it becomes troublesome."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:17 pm 

Ban thought about it a moment. "He believed, like his father and his mother, that the ocean shouldn't be a great divide between the West and the East but that they should be entwined by common destiny. It had been his destiny since he had been born to transcend the divide, but it had been stolen from him." He reciprocated the gaze. "What did your brother believe in?"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:17 am 

She nodded as she listened thoughtfully. "What a tragedy to have such a destiny thwarted..." She paused. "My brother... He had Shinjo's compassion. He wanted to make the world better for as many people as possible. He was responsible on the smaller scale, as well, though. He would have been a good leader."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:24 am 

Ban nodded, contemplating what she had said. "Is it in leadership that you find it hard to follow him, or in compassion?" He asked without prejudice, looking at her.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:43 am 

"Both... I'm not less than he was, but our strengths are different... Were different," she replied. She questioned in turn, "What is the impossible thing you want to make possible?"

Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next