Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

Page 5 of 6 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: Shell Games [D11LA]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:12 am 

"I will." Kenzo said softly. He leaned just a little closer; not so close as to touch, but close enough that they could at any moment. He could feel the longing in him, in her, but it was tempered by the enjoyment he felt in just being near. Letting the moment just a little longer, his lips curled up into a gentle smile. "After all, I should not want to upset you."

One last glance at the shell, and he tucked it into his obi once more. "I worry about it a little. It's so fragile..." He gave her a smile. "But I shall wrap it carefully, and keep it in my ammunition box. It will be safe there."

This time, it was Kenzo's turn to feel his breath catch in his throat. "It does fit us, doesn't it?" He said, his voice rough. "Something natural, unique, beautiful..." His brown eyes were soft as they met hers. "I shall think of you, tomorrow. If my strength falters, you shall be my reserve."

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:48 am 

Her hazel eyes closed slowly. "Mm, it is fragile. But so is life, no?" And so am I, as well our future.

Opening her eyes again, Utsusemi looked into the warm brown eyes before her. "If I can be your strength, Kenzo, then I will be as strong as I can be. For you."

"... I will pray to the Fortunes to watch over you. And for you all safely returned home." A part of her wished to ask him to look after Bellena, and Sanjuro, but by now she trusted in the hero he often was to save those he could.

"A hero always comes home, after all," she offered with a gentle teasing in her tone.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:59 pm 

"Mmm, sometimes." Kenzo said, his gaze still lingering on her. "But life can be found, or even thrive, in the most unexpected places, too."

Hearing her words, Kenzo bowed his head towards her, just a little. "Thank you. Utsusemi." He whispered. If she mirrored his motion, and they leaned just a little farther, their foreheads would be pressed together, the way they did. But of course, they couldn't do that in public.

His eyes flickered open once more, a grin lighting his face. "That's true, isn't it?" He grinned. "Especially when they have a princess waiting for them." His tone matched hers, lightly playful. "Don't worry. I won't make you wait a moment longer than you have to."

He tilted his head thoughtfully. "Perhaps... do you think you could see me off, tomorrow? And be there when I come back? Especially as there may be wounded; I can find you wherever they're treating people."

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:26 pm 

It was tempting to lean forward, to feel the warmth of his forehead against hers, but it was still something she could not do here in such a public place... even if did give the illusion of privacy.

"Of course I will," she nodded gently. "You, as well as the others... I think it might only be me and a couple of others remaining behind; other courtiers, or those who might not be in a shape to fight." Hinami she was fairly sure wouldn't do something as foolish as going off to battle, but people like Anzai... it was hard to tell. The Scorpion was a wild card in many aspects.

"... I will see you when you return, but I do suspect I will be fairly busy when you do. I... just hope you won't be among the wounded." Or dead.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:52 pm 

Kenzo's expression, already soft, softened further looking at Utsusemi's face. He'd never gone off to fight especially worrying if he would ever see someone again. Neither had he ever had to wait behind as someone he cared deeply for went off to fight. Perhaps he had it easier. The image of Utsusemi, waiting, eyes futilely searching the figures that disembarked the ship for one who never would, came unbidden to his mind.

Gently, he shook his head. He would do anything to spare her that. At least, to the extent that he could. He would fight to prevent as many goodbyes as was possible.

"If I am among the wounded." Kenzo said, his voice firm. Even if she didn't voice it, he could hear that trailing thought. "-than I shall know I am in the best of hands. You can treat my wounds, and then I can still give you our shell." His smile grew playful, in part to cheer her, but mostly because he felt like it. "I did feel much better after you treated my shoulder, after all."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:17 am 

It was strange at how she had always since she was young prepared herself for the feelings of seeing family off to battle... but her father was a high-ranking man and his time of active service in the field was before she could really remember, and her siblings that were bushi had not served in any battle similar to what the Explorers would be facing. Closest thing would be Hotaru serving with the Daidoji Iron Warriors, but it had already been years since she last saw her little sister and there was little she had to do with Hotaru going off to war.

And Ryuden was not a man who marched off to war like a soldier... so in a way, tomorrow was the first time she would see someone so important to her go away to do battle.

At least Kenzo's playfulness and reminiscence of their first time together made her smile as well, and Utsusemi's worries were a little eased. "I kind of suspect there were other things at work that made you feel so much better than just my skill with medicine, Kenzo." Her smile grew as well.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:11 am 

"Mmmm. I cannot deny that." Kenzo murmured. He leaned just a little closer, his eyes seeming to dance merrily. "One more reason for me to come back to you, then." He said, his voice low. His eyes flickered down to her lips...

And then around, to the surrounding rock walls. They certainly seemed isolated, but it was impossible to be sure. And, no matter how much he wanted to kiss her, the risk was just too great.

Kenzo's eyes flickered back to meet her gaze, a wry smile on his lips; he suspected his train of thought had been rather easy to follow. "Is your kimono all dry, Utsu?" He asked brightly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:41 am 

Judging by the light in Utsusemi's eyes, and the pink colour in her cheeks, it seemed she had followed his thoughts easily.

"... Mm, more or less, yes," she nodded. "I suppose it is time to head back?"

Her voice lowered as leaned slightly closer too. "Besides, I don't want to keep you up late tonight, considering tomorrow is an important day. I want you to be well-rested and ready for it."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:37 am 

"Good." Kenzo said softly. As she went on, it was impossible for him to hide the flash of excitement in his eyes, or the way the corners of his lips twitched, trying to curl up into a grin. "In that case, we really should get back soon. If I am to be well-rested, then the sooner I get to bed, the better."

Taking a deep breath, he rose gracefully to his feet. Pausing for just a moment, he looked down at her, smiling, his expression warm. He very much looked forward to spending the night in her arms. But he also very much enjoyed simple time spent with her, painting, or looking at the ocean. He never expected that he would take so much joy in someone else's company.

His lips quirked as he offered his hand. "Shall we?" He said.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:32 pm 

Deep inside, a part of her wished this moment would never end; the way the sunlight framed him like a warm halo which melded together with the warmth of his expression.

Do Utsusemi felt a little reluctant as Kenzo helped her to her feet.

"We should do this again sometime... I had a good time," there was more she wished to say, but it could wait until later.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:56 pm 

"As did I." Kenzo said softly, his smile growing. "And so we shall. If the two of us desire it to be so, I cannot see why we cannot make it be."

He turned a little, looking out over the sea, angling to the west. The sun was only beginning to go down, large and red on the horizon. "I remember all my time with you, Utsusemi, but certain moments stand out." He spoke softly, his words pitched for her ears only. His hand still held hers, gently rubbing it with his thumb. "The obvious ones, like when we first met. When we first made love. When we confessed our love for each other. The sight of you at the masquerade. But less obvious ones stand out, too. Like peeling yams. Or making breakfast together."

He turned back to her, smiling gently. "I think this shall be another one. When we painted, walked in the ocean, and found our shell."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:10 am 

Her lithe fingers tightened their hold on his hand as she turned her head to watch the sun. It was a sight she had seen many times before, here and back home, but like it was for Kenzo this too was a moment she would remember well.

All these precious moments they had shared to draw them closer... Utsusemi only prayed that they had strengthened their devotion to eachother for when realities of home would see them separated and apart.

"Yes," she sighed wistfully, her voice like a whisper as it was only for him to hear. "I will treasure this moment, like all the others I have been so fortunate to share with you, my beloved. Everytime I hold our shell, it will give me strength, knowing how much we have shared already."

With painful reluctance, she slowly let go of his hand. "... Let's go home, Kenzo. I will cook something to eat for dinner."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:36 am 

The mention of her cooking gave Kenzo the briefest of hesitations. Not because he didn't like her cooking, because he did, but because cooking together was something that he enjoyed doing. His lips parted, ready to make the offer to help.

But then, Kenzo smiled. Doing things together, ordinary or extraordinary, was certainly a part of their relationship. But so was the way that they each took care of the other. Sometimes that meant him helping her, being her rock, and sometimes that would mean letting her take care of him. After all, he rather liked it when she did that.

"Then let's go back." He said, smiling. "I'll keep you company while you cook." He started to bend to pick up the blanket, but stopped, looking at her curiously. "Beloved." He said, his lips quirking. "I really like it when you call me that, you know."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:50 am 

Utsusemi's face blushed in a soft pink colour and she looked bashfully back to the sea.

"... Then I shall only use it for special occassions," she smiled as she glanced back to him. "For lack of a suitable nickname for you."

Her hands busied themselves with gathering up her art supplies as Kenzo picked up the blanket. Looking at the painting of the little hermit-crab, she chuckled warmly. It was perhaps rather cute. "You wanted this for your collection, yes?" the cute hermit-crab was extended to him, her eyes lowered to the painting.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:37 am 

Folding up the blanket, Kenzo gave her a smile, his eyes seeming to light up. "I love it. Utsusemi." He said, drawing out each syllable of her name in his enjoyment. His smile grew, becoming a grin. "I shall have to give you as much occasion as I can to use it."

"Oh!" His eyebrows went up in pleased surprise as she held out her painting to him. He tilted his head as he looked at it, a crooked smile on his lips. "I have always wanted one of your works to study. And this is a very nice one."

His smile turned playful. He reached out with both hands, gently taking the painting by its edges. Underneath, invisible to prying eyes, his hands took hers. "But Utsu." He said, his eyes dancing playfully. "Your work is far too special to be used for my simple reasearch." His fingers gave hers a gentle squeeze.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:43 am 

Hazel eyes widened in surprise as his hands held hers. "Ah, but... the challenge for me was to make one you can use in your research, Kenzo," she murmured a little shyly. Maybe she shouldn't have tried to make it so cute, if it meant he couldn't use it for his research.

"... Should I make a new one instead?" Utsusemi asked, a little unsure of how to respond to his teasing this time.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:09 am 

"No, no, not at all!" Kenzo said, his eyes widening; he shook his head vigorously. "I love it! It's perfect!"

He lowered his head, now looking at her through his lashes. "In truth, I rather hoped that you would offer it to me again. Giving me a chance to refuse a second time. And then one more time after that."

His hands slid a little further along hers, fingers gently brushing her wrists. "And that, while we did that, I could be holding your hands like this, in a way that no one could see." His head tilted up, and he gave her a sheepish smile. "Perhaps it was a silly thought... but it appealed to me, somehow."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:28 am 

"Ah..." she blushed, biting gently on her lower lip. "... I guess I have grown so accustomed to being at ease around you, Kenzo, I failed to think that it might be a game of refusals."

Utsusemi's eyes looked up at him shyly in return, as she enjoyed the sensation of his fingers brushing over the skin on her wrists. "Will you accept this painting then, along with my promise to make more painting like these that you can use in your research?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:26 am 

"I..." Kenzo, looking into her hazel eyes, blushed as well. "I fear I've lost count, in fact." His grin flashed playfully at her. "I am sure you've noticed the effect your eyes have on me. And that look you give me, when you bite your lip..." He took a deep, shuddering breath, his own eyes growing a little more intense.

"Well!" Kenzo cleared his throat. One more time, he let his fingers tease the insides of her wrists, before he let his fingers finally close on the edges of the painting. "Thank you, Utsusemi. And that pleases me very much to hear." Indeed, he did seem pleased, a grin playing at the corners of his lips.

Opening his satchel, he carefully put her painting away in it. His head turned, and he gave her a smile. "I shall treasure each one of your works. But also, I intend to continue working on my own skills. There are many more things I'd like to try."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:38 am 

Her fingers pressed to her lips in response, partially hiding them from sight. "Ah... sorry..." It was a habit she was barely aware that she was doing.

"Please," Utsusemi nodded, her smile gentle. "Seeing your works always make me happy, especially when I know that I've been an inspiration to you. Like the red raccoon." Her smile grew a little more.

She let her fingers run over the skin that Kenzo had caressed just recently, finding that she already missed his touch. It was a brief reverie, and she soon enough finished packing together her things. Already she was thinking of other animals she could try to capture on paper for him before leaving the island. "You know... it feels nice, to think my art can contribute to your research. I guess I was too used to knowing my poetry could not exactly contribute to Ryuden-sama's research and studies, but... this works nicely."

Theme #5Profile

Page 5 of 6 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next