Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

Page 1 of 6 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Shell Games [D11LA]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:54 pm 

The difficulty with viewing nature on a largely untamed island like Kameyama Jima was that the emphasis was very much on untamed. And while depending on where one went in Rokugan, that might mean nothing worse than an unusually aggressive goat, Kenzo had already encountered what he fervently hoped was the worst of what this island had to offer. A pleasant outing was made less so when one had to watch for hornets and snakes.

So instead, Kenzo found an alternative. The beach was relatively peaceful, and in this area at least, rather sheltered. It might not tend to have exactly the sorts of animals he most preferred, but some quiet pools would be interesting enough. It would be the perfect place to enjoy the outdoors, some painting, and pleasant company. They just had to find the right place.

Looking back over his shoulder as he led the way, Kenzo smiled at his companion. The ground was still mostly sand, but became more rocky as they approached the Shell Pools. He carried his painting supplies, as well as a light pack, food and blanket inside, he knew.

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

Post subject: Re: Shell Games [D11LA]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:16 pm 

Having been here before, Utsusemi knew that the place had a rather nice view... and maybe finding some pretty seashells to bring home would be a good idea, as she figured the children would probably like it. The sea was still mostly a distant mystery to them, after all, and she found herself missing it terribly in Agasha lands which was so far removed from the seaside as one could be. That the original Crane had settled by the coast had been a wise decision in her eyes.

"I saw a place that didn't have quite as many rocky outcroppings the other day," she suggested to her yojimbo, walking close behind him as she pointed in the direction she had indicated. Utsusemi herself had dressed down from her nicer clothes to the ones she preferred to use for outings... after the Mudkip-transformation, they weren't of much use for daily wear by her standards anyway, even if they had been cleaned repeatedly.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:24 pm 

"Oh?" Kenzo altered his direction just a little, angling more towards where Utsu had indicated.

"Although..." He slowed a bit, allowing Utsu to draw alongside him as they walked. He shot her a grin, some of his usual animal-related excitement showing. "I would rather like to have at least a few rocks. Enough to form pools, at least. Marine life tends to gather in those, and I'm very interested to see if its a different sort than could be found in Dragon's Guard."

He looked forward, squinting ever so slightly against the wind. "I've not often been to the ocean." His lips twisted. "Well, excepting our voyage. But you take my meaning, I'm sure."

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:49 pm 

Utsusemi chuckled softly, wishing she could lean a little closer to him as their strides matched.

"Ah, I see... you're right," she nodded. "I'm sure there must be little things, like small crab, maybe the hermit-type... the ones who carry seashells around with them. Maybe some tropical fishes?" She mused with interest. "Let's have a look at least?"

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:07 am 

Kenzo gave Utsu another quick glance as she came next to him. The look in his eyes, as well as the crooked smile, said it all. How pleasant it would be to allow her to lean against him as they walked. Alas, while the area certainly seemed to have its hidden nooks and crannies, they certainly weren't in one yet.

"Precisely." Kenzo said, smiling. "That is exactly the sort of thing I hope to see." He looked at her, his eyebrows going up. "If our luck is exceptional, perhaps we'll find a dolphin. I encountered one in Dragon's Guard, actually. It was stuck, poor thing."

While the ground remained sandy, Kenzo led them between rising rock walls. There were a few twists and turns, but he walked confidently, offering Utsu his arm to help her over a rock blocking the way.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:14 am 

"Oh, the poor thing," her brow creased with some concern at the thought of a dolphin in distress. "You did help it... right?" Of course, Utsusemi expected that he would have, but what if something had gone wrong with the rescue operation and something happened to the poor creature?

While she was dressed with sensible footwear and clothing for an outing, she still appriciated his assistance. Utsusemi just had to remind herself to let go of his arm afterwards, instead of holding to it like she wanted.

"Do dolphins usually come this close to land?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:27 am 

Kenzo grinned, letting his thumb brush playfully against the back of her hand as they parted.

"Of course!" Kenzo turned, sweeping her a bow. "Am I not a hero? To you and dolphins, at least." He laughed softly as they continued along. "I was fortunate to have the assistance of Kaiu Kuuru-san; between the two of us, we managed to free it."

He shrugged. "That depends. The one at Dragon's Guard was unusual; shallow water can beach them. I never did find out what it was doing there. But the rocks allow for some deeper water, I believe, and better spots to find fish. It's certainly possible we could see one here."

One more turn, and the passageway opened up a bit, out onto a large rock, mostly flat. Just beyond that was a surpisingly deep pool, the water a deep green. The area seemed to be shielded on all sides by rock walls, except the far end, where the lip of the bowl dipped down enough to allow a bit of the ocean in and out.

Kenzo turned to Utsu, a cheerful smile on his lips. "I think this should do nicely, don't you?" He set down the pack, taking the cloth from it. That he spread out on the flat rock, not far from the water's edge.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:05 am 

"Ah, Kaiu-san? Really? I remember speaking with him before we left Dragon's Guard. He was quite nice, and such a proud father too..." for a Crab, the Kaiu had been rather charming, after all. Her smile was soft as his touch left her, even if it had been brief and nothing

Utsusemi reached up to undo the ties that kept her strawhat in place, as she looked out at the view while Kenzo was unpacking what he had brought. "... It really is beautiful here," she said wistfully. A part of her missed her childhood home, while the other realised she would miss this place too. It had really been a unique experience.

Sometimes, she could understand why Lady Doji had wanted to become one with the sea at the end of her life.

Utsusemi's white hair flipped in the sea breeze as she removed her strawhat.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:21 am 

As he set down the rest of the things, placing his pack on the corner of the blanket, Kenzo looked back at Utsusemi. He couldn't help but smile, watching her, the way her lovely white hair caught the gentle breeze; the walls kept the little area better shielded.

He took off his own hat, a few strands of his hair almost immediately coming loose from the tie that bound them together. "I'm pleased that you like it." He said, his voice fond. "I sometimes think of Crane lands being all plains and gardens, but it is rather close to the ocean, isn't it?"

All their things were settled... but Kenzo wasn't quite ready to sit just yet. "Shall we take a closer look, then?" He stepped closer to the water, peering cautiously down into it, before casting an invitingly crooked smile back towards Utsusemi.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:34 am 

"Almost all the important Crane holdings are by the sea, or close enough. Even Hayaku Mura," she smirked slightly. "There are many plains and gardens, considering how vast the territories of the Crane are, but there is also a long coast-line."

Utsusemi tucked some of her errant hair behind her ear, nodding gently. "Right behind you, then. I trust you to find the safe places to walk here..." even if she had grown up near the sea, Utsusemi had never been allowed to roam in places like this. The closest she had been to a similar places like this had been the Lady's Rest, visiting not long after her gempukku for the Chrysanthemum Festival. She, like all the other maidens, had decorated the large rocks there with flowers in hopes of being blessed with love in their lives, particularly their marriages.

And look where that had ended up.

She at least gave a fond smile to Kenzo, letting him take lead to the water. The rocks, she knew, could be slippery.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:48 am 

"Indeed. It only takes a moment's consideration, and yet..." Kenzo shrugged. "I should like to see them someday. Surely that is the best way to clear any misconceptions I might have."

The rocks were relatively flat and stable. Nevertheless, smiling, Kenzo held out his arm with a smile. "It seems to me that it would be safer if you stay close to me, then." He said, his tone lightly playful. "If you hold on, I'll make sure you don't fall."

Once their hands were comfortably secured together, Kenzo led the way carefully to the edge of the water. It dropped off rather sharply before curving inward. The uneven surface allowed numerous spots for sea-life to flourish. Hermit crabs could be seen scuttling along the bottom, housed in conical shells. A school of small fish, a bright reflective silver, moved this way and that.

Kenzo's hand tightened on hers. "Goodness! Look at that one!" He gestured with one open hand, indicating a large fish, bright yellow with black stripes. He shot Utsu a quick exhilarated grin, his eyes alight.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:01 am 

Utsusemi held on to his hand, casting a glance over her shoulder to make sure no one would see. He was just supporting her, right? So it wasn't indecent. At least she told herself, still concerned what people might think if they were to be seen.

She looked first at the hermit-crabs, until Kenzo spotted something, and she too turned her head to look where he was pointing. Though in truth, she was more admiring his delight over something so simple as a fish. It was that simple joy of his that she admired and envied at the same time.

"Oh, that is a rather vibrant colour!" she agreed with a sincere grin of her own. "Do you think it's dangerous? I seem to recall that many species with yellow colours are venomous...?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:16 am 

Equally, Kenzo was delighted by Utsu's obvious enjoyment, his grin broadening just a little at the sight of hers. "Hmmm. Quite possibly." He looked back at the fish, which seemed to be poking around through crevices in the rock. "If we were in Rokugan, I would say so. But the fish seem more colorful here, and I doubt that they're all poisonous." He shrugged. "Perhaps it has more to do with their habitat. More bright colors..."

He was definitely supporting her, his arm steady. At the same time, though, his thumb subtly began to stroke the back of her hand in a way that had nothing to do with keeping her safe. His smile was warm as he looked back at her. "Part of me is tempted to try a painting of it." He pursed his lips. "But I've never attempted to paint a fish before. I'm not entirely sure that I have the right technique. One focuses on different things with different animals."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:35 am 

"Really?" she looked to him with some surprise. "Never once tried to paint a fish? You should have said so back in Dragon's Guard when I showed you my painting with the flying-fish," Utsusemi teased him gently before looking back at the fish.

"What to keep in mind for fish is that they have scales rather than fur, so you must use a finer brush for the details... compared to painting fur, where the brush itself seems to create the texture." She offered small suggestions that she used to keep in mind for the differences for different animals.

"Though, there is a lot less cuteness with fish compared to red raccoons..."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:28 am 

"Hmmm." Kenzo's lips twisted. "I did find that painting fascinating. Perhaps had I not been so focused on the giraffe, I might have asked. But, well, there was the giraffe." He leaned a little closer, his eyebrows going up. "And rather a lot of other things going on as well, of course." His eyes flashed playfully at her.

"Hmmm." He said again. A thoughtful frown crossed his features. "I... think I see. Yes. That would certainly answer some of my concerns." He chewed his lip thoughtfully. "Some of the other things that I focus on would still be difficult. With mammals I have some idea of what sort of musculature to expect. As well as birds; the exoskeletons of insects are rather simple. Fish..." He shook his head. "I'm just not familiar enough with them, I think."

He chuckled, squeezing her hand just a little. "No doubt precisely because they aren't as cute as the red raccoons. If they were, perhaps I'd have studied them more carefully." He chuckled again. "I wish I'd been able to paint the dolphin, but saving it came first."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:39 am 

"And here I thought you were getting familiar with the inner workings of fish, seeing how well you prepare it," Utsusemi cast a fond smile to Kenzo again, reminding him of the meals he had made rather skillfully while here with fish.

"Think less of how all the joints connect together like it is with mammals and insects, and consider more how much the fish are like water; when they move, their tail sway back and forth," she made a wavey gesture with her free hand to illustrate her point, "effortless grace, if you will." Her smile turned more into a playful smirk with her last words.

"Hmm... so you should make an attempt of painting the fish, I think, but... what sort of challenge do you want to give me? A hermit-crab, perhaps, or something else?" Her hand squeezed his a little tighter. Not only because she liked doing so, but also because she was still worried about tripping.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:38 am 

Kenzo flashed Utsu a quick grin at the compliment, his expression growing more interested as she spoke. And then, of course, curling up to a smile once more at the wonderfully familiar term. "Effortless grace. Of course." His eyes watched her hand as it gave its graceful wave. "I'd heard a comparison before, of fish to birds, where each is free to drift along in three dimensions. One like air, the other like water. Hmmm." His expression was thoughtful, but his eyes bright and interested as the idea began to take hold.

His eyebrows went up. "Oh, a challenge is it?" He grinned. "I rather like the sound of that. Hmmm. Very well; after your advice, I think I am ready to attempt the fish. As for your challenge..." His lips curled up, both thoughtful and playful. "Is a hermit-crab a challenge for Utsusemi... I'm not sure. Perhaps if you painted one that I could use as reference for my studies?"

Kenzo could feel the squeeze of her hand, both the enjoyment, and the uncertainty. It was a subtle thing, but he shifted his grip and his stance, holding her more steadily. It was clear that if she slipped, he would not let her fall.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:12 pm 

"Hm, it... would be a first time for me to try something more in the style of accurate portrayal, for scientific purposes, rather than for art," she sounded a little uncertain of the idea at first. After all, the Kakita had taught her to paint what was pleasing to the eyes, and less about accurate details.

In the end, Utsusemi nodded with some determination. "Very well, I will give it a try. But... do you think maybe we could pick some seashells to take home too?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:13 pm 

Kenzo considered a moment. "Well... don't sacrifice too much for accuracy." He said. "I've long wanted to have one of your paintings to use as a reference, but I shouldn't like it at the cost of what makes them special." His lips quirked. "And after all, the red raccoon I painted was rather cute, wasn't it?"

Her question made him laugh softly. "Of course, Utsu." His gaze on her was fond. "A fine idea. We shall gather as many as you like. Perhaps after we paint?" His hand held her steadily, ready to help her walk either back towards the blanket, or farther along the edge of the rock, where the shells were.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:42 pm 

"It really was," Utsusemi smiled, fondly remembering the cute picture. "I didn't know you always wanted one of my works, Kenzo. Now I really have to make sure I don't disappoint."

She tugged gently on his hand. "Let's do it before we go then, and paint while we have the best light, neh?"

Theme #5Profile

Page 1 of 6 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next