Login FAQ  
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:42 pm

Page 2 of 6 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: Shell Games [D11LA]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:04 pm 

"I am sure you will not." Kenzo said, smiling.

Rising, he helped Utsu walk back to the blanket he had laid out earlier. It was in a flat area, well enough back from the water that there was no danger of either slipping or splashing. It was only then that, with a visible reluctance, he let go of her hand, his fingers rubbing against each other as his hand returned to his his.

Kneeling on the blanket, Kenzo opened up his satchel. It seemed well-organized, with paper stored in one part, and the painting supplies stored in another, all quickly and easily accessible. He brought out paper, paints, and brush, before flipping over the satchel; apparently he merely used the flat back of it to paint on.

Leaning forward, his eyebrows went up. "Hah. Look at that." He said, smiling. The little yellow fish had come closer to them, bobbing rather near to the surface of the water.

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:06 pm 

Likewise, Utsusemi rubbed her hands against eachother after the had parted, missing the safety and comfort of his touch already.

Similarly to him, she kept her supplies tidy with the paper stored in a separate box that was wrapped in cloth. The supplies that had been ruined had now been replaced, no doubt with help from Sanjuro judging by the quality.

She was getting the paint ready as they had company. "Oh," her face lit up with humour. "Your model is ready and waiting for you it seems, Kenzo."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:45 pm 

Kenzo looked at her paint supplies, his expression pleased. Indeed, he was glad that she replaced them, although it wasn't clear that he recognized where they'd come from.

"Indeed!" Kenzo said, smiling, as pleased by her enjoyment as anything else. "I wish all my subjects were so cooperative. I had to wait outside the red raccoon's den for hours before I caught more than a glimpse of it."

Kenzo paused a moment, his brush poised over the paper, his brow gently furrowed. To paint as Utsu had suggested required a bit of a mental shift. Finally, he lowered brush to paper, his hand moving carefully, making even strokes. It seemed to be coming together well. He was only hindered by the glances he kept giving to Utsu, either smiles, or attempts to see her work.

---------------------------------

D11LA Fish Painting! VP spent, 2 CR: 5d10o10k4 29

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:16 pm 

Utsusemi chuckled, preparing her impromptu work space. "Imagening you waiting outside its den for hours just to catch a glimpse does not exactly shed a glamerous life on the work of nature studies," she teased, eyeing the water to remind herself of her own model... which was not so willing to pose.

Still, she enjoyed the company as they both worked on their new challenge - Kenzo with trying new techniques and Utsusemi trying a different approach with keeping it more scientific and less focused on the ideal beauty to capture.

"But... I suppose science, just like art, requires patience, hm?" she paused to glance at his work, smiling as he seemed to be doing well with the tips she had given him.

Kenzo too could see the progress she was making, and how it would turn out.

----

D11 LA Artisan: Painting/Awa. +1k1 Void. 3 raises. TN 30: 8d10o10k5 37

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:14 am 

Kenzo laughed at that. "Well... it has its moments. When you find something really incredible, for instance, or make some new connection. But yes, I've spent many hours sitting around staring at some hole." He shrugged, smiling. "I found it rather relaxing. Meditative, even. But lately I've been finding more appreciation for company."

"Yes!" Kenzo said brightly. "There does seem to be some overlap there. Although I'm only a novice artist. Still, I've done it enough to know how important inspiration is in both." His lips twisted. "And how much hard work has to come after that."

The next time he leaned over to look at Utsu's painting, his eyebrows went up in pleased surprise. "My word, Utsu. That's very impressive." He grinned. "Both accurate and cute. I never thought of hermit crabs as such, really, before seeing that."

His own work was coming along nicely, and seemed to incorporate the flowing pattern that Utsu described.

(pretend there's only one!)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:28 am 

"A novice perhaps, but you show great potential," she shot him a smile as she glanced at his work again too, enjoying the more fluid brush-strokes he seemed to be using. "Thank you..." His praise made her smile grow a little more.

"And you too, Kenzo. You seem to improve so much each time I see your work. Give it a little bit more time, and you will surpass my skill," Utsusemi teased with a friendly chuckle in her voice. Turning back to her own work, she placed the wooden tip of her brush against her lips as she gave a contemplative hum. "Hmmm... are hermit crabs like shrimp, like crabs, or like lobsters? We call them crabs, but hidden inside the shell they have a soft tail similar to a shrimp, and their legs and pincers make me think of lobsters."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:07 am 

Kenzo grinned back at her, flushing at her praise. "Now who's flattering?" He chuckled. "But that's very kind of you to say so, Utsusemi." He said. He renewed his work with extra enthusiasm, his lips pressed together as he concentrated. "Perhaps I should seek another challenge after this."

At Utsu's question, though, he briefly set down his brush. "That... is a very good question, Utsu." He said, his eyes flashing with interest. His lips twisted. "I hope I shall be able to answer it."

After a few moments of thought, he went on. "I believe, though I am not certain, that a hermit crab is classified somewhere between a standard crab and a standard lobster. They have some features common to each. The soft body, for instance, is more like the lobster." He pursed his lips. "I'm unsure which features are more like a crab than a lobster, in all honesty."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:14 am 

"Hmmm..." the wooden tip of the brush twirled around against her lip as she considered the answer. "It certainly sounds like a question for the sages. How difficult it is to categorize some of these creatures, but..."

Utsusemi paused, removing the brush from her mouth. Her thumb moved up to rub away the stain of her makeup that had been left on its surface, then proceeded to smooth out the colour on her lips. "... I think I would object to being easily classified myself. So maybe some of these creatures feel the same way, which is why they are the way they are?"

The thought did make her chuckle and she looked back to the waters, taking a small break from her own work.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:36 am 

"It is difficult." Kenzo agreed. "And sometimes contentious. I've read exchanges of letters back and forth, growing increasingly heated, about whether an animal belonged to one family, or another." He shook his head, chuckling. "No doubt when I write about the red raccoon, I'll have to be prepared for such things."

He turned to watch Utsu's mild antics with the paintbrush. There was something about her lips that drew his gaze, his eyes briefly lingering on them. He chuckled softly, returning to his work, as she smoothed out her lipstick.

Only to turn back with a fond smile as she spoke again. "Perhaps so." He said, his voice soft. With a pleasant sigh, he set his brush aside as well, leaning on one hand towards her. "As it happens... your complexity is one of the things that first drew me to you, Utsu. It didn't take much conversation with you before I realized that you had depths. I... have been honored to learn more of you."

His lips quirked playfully. "Although your words make me picture myself waiting outside of a hole, paintbrush at the ready, for you to crawl out."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:43 am 

Utsusemi looked at him with half-lidded eyes through her long lashes. "Kenzo..." she murmured his name softly. As she still hadn't thought of a special name for him, she tried to place more emphasis on how she said it when it was important. Just like the difference he had between Utsu, Utsusemi, and now Shika.

Then the comment about waiting for her to crawl out of her hidey-hole, her eyes narrowed and her lips pursed with mild annoyance, and mirth.

"Hmph," she scoffed playfully, looking away. "Deers don't have holes they hide in. You just have to patiently wait for them to appear in a glade or clearing... or to find them hidden among the bushes or flowers."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:51 am 

The look was enough to make Kenzo's breath catch, and his heart seemed to thump when Utsu said his name. He'd noted before how much the little things she did, the small words or gestures, made him feel special. Reminded him how much she loved him, and he loved her.

He couldn't help but laugh softly as she turned away. He shifted a little closer, his hand not far from her knee. "My apologies. Shika." He said, his voice soft. "You're right, of course. I shouldn't be waiting for you outside a hole. A glade, or among the flowers would be a much more suitable location." He smiled. "I would still be patient, though. I would wait as long as I needed to see you."

Kenzo's eyebrows went up as a thought occurred to him. "Of course, if you are a deer, we can't still call me a bird of the sky. Something more... congruent must be found. Or so it seems to me."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:17 pm 

"Hm, true," she agreed, still looking back out towards the sea. "Really... I have never been one to think of a nickname for anyone before that is not just part of their name already. It is much harder than I thought it would be."

Utsusemi's lips pursed together in thought. "And calling you a red raccoon would sound a little odd, no? After all, you do not look much like it?" she cast a careful glance in his direction, noting how much closer he was now. Figuring that no one had been spying on two people sitting still for a long while to draw and paint, she dared to put her hand next to his to allow the tips of her fingers to brush against his rougher fingers.

"... Unless you want me too, of course."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:09 pm 

Kenzo pursed his lips in understanding sympathy. He followed her gaze automatically, looking out towards the ocean. "It does seem uneven. Your mother named you well; I only had to agree. To give someone a new name..." He shrugged. "Really, I like the way you say my name. No one else says it the way you do."

He turned back to her, his eyebrows going up. "What, don't you think I'm cute?" He held his mock-injured expression only for a moment or two before laughing softly.. "When I go back, I'll perform a longer study. It's difficult to say if I'm a good match with the red raccoon before we know more about its behavior."

His eyes sought hers as their fingers brushed together. His lips curled up into a smile. "What I should really like is to kiss you right now." He said, his voice pitched low, only just audible over the sound of the waves. "And yet, I am not so confident in this apparent solitude." His eyes flickered around a moment before settling back on hers, his gaze warm. "Remind me of this moment, later, when we're truly alone. I promise I shall make it up to you then."

Last edited by Mirumoto Kenzo on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:40 pm 

Her head turned gently so she could see him better, fingers caressing his subtly. "... I promise I will." For a moment there, her mind was distant, thinking of tomorrow. She probably would not go into battle... apart from her skill as a medic, Utsusemi had no place in combat. But, she knew that Kenzo would have to go. As would Sanjuro.

Of course, she naturally worried for both of them. Especially after the letter from Sanjuro earlier that had been so... odd.

"Peaceful moments like this are such a blessing..." she sighed, smiling at him. "... Everything else just seems so far away." And that's where all the concerns creep up on you eventually too. So a blessing and a curse both.

"Tomorrow at least, seems far away."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:06 pm 

Kenzo's head tilted as he regarded Utsusemi. His fingers moved, brushing pleasantly against hers. Ever since he'd known her, even since they became lovers, she was difficult to read. He rather enjoyed trying, though.

"They are." He agreed, matching her smile. "I know that I'm the optimistic one of us, but moments like this make it easy."

His expression softened. "Are you worried about tomorrow?" His fingers gave hers a little squeeze. "I hope you won't."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:18 pm 

"Of course I'm worried. For all of you..." Her fingers curled around his in response. "... Back home at least there could be some comfort in knowing it would be against an honourable opponent, but... spiders, monsters, pirates?"

Utsusemi breathed deeply. "I know worrying hardly accomplished anything, but of course I am worried. The thought that you not coming back..." her voice was low as she looked at Kenzo, all the worry and concern she could not voice evident in her face.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:40 pm 

Kenzo hesitated just a moment. Actually, some of those things worried him, too. For her sake, he pushed some of that aside. "Yes, well. I may be in favor of progress, but our honor is our strength. That, and we are willing to adapt. Just look at how Kitsu-kancho has outfitted the Kunshu Maru."

Seeing the look on her face, Kenzo leaned just a little closer still, hoping his proximity would comfort her. Comfort them both. He wished he could kiss both their worries away...

"Don't worry about me, though." He smiled bravely. "In truth, I think the thought of coming back to you makes me... I'm not sure. But it's better, somehow. I'm more determined than ever to see it through." He smirked. "Besides... I promised I'd be part of your future. And I've kept every promise I've made to you, haven't I?"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:49 pm 

"It's true..." she agreed softly, finding comfort in his words and his closeness. "... You have kept all your promises. I have no reason to doubt you will keep this one too."

Utsusemi just hoped he would come back alive, and not... it was hard even finish that thought, and she closed her eyes.

A part of her wanted to be there, to be of help. Many others were going too.

"... Should I go too? Kitsu-kancho hasn't requested me to, but..."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:25 pm 

Utsu was hard to read, but Kenzo knew her pretty well by now. It wasn't hard to follow the closing of her eyes. He gave her fingers another reassuring squeeze.

Similarly, she probably saw the flash of imagined fear in his eyes as she mentioned coming along. After a few moments of hesitation, he gave a faint smile. "Hmmm. I find myself torn. I can't deny that the thought of you so close to the battle makes me worry. Logically, though, I can't give you reassurances while denying my own." He sighed, still smiling. "I suppose my worry for you is more heart than head, anyway."

His smile grew a little. "So maybe I'll decide based on that. Stay here. Give me something to come back home to. I rather like that idea."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:24 pm 

"... It might be for the best," Utsusemi nodded with some hesitation, but taking a hold of his hand at least reassured her. "I will stay, and wait. Please, come back safely." Even if her words were quiet, it did nothing to reduce the tenderness to them.

At least she wanted to remind him of their love tonight. In case it was the last time they would see eachother. Parting in the morning would be heavy on her, she knew already, as she thought her uncertainities would possibly touch him as well. The last thing a warrior going into battle needed was uncertainity.

Theme #5Profile

Page 2 of 6 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next