Login FAQ  
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:51 am

Page 4 of 6 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: Shell Games [D11LA]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:44 am 

His gaze flickering down as she rose, Kenzo was very mildly disappointed that her kimono wasn't made of very clingy fabric. His main focus, though, was on Utsu. The warmth in her eyes as they met his was enough for Kenzo, his lips curling up into a smile. "Mmm. At least you can consider the waters thoroughly tested? I'm sorry." He gave her hand an apologetic squeeze. "Another time, perhaps. I promise, I shall make it up to you." Although really, she seemed to be enjoying herself.

Pausing a moment, Kenzo's hand flickered to the front of his obi, dipping underneath for just a moment. He sighed. "And our shell is intact." He said, smiling.

Carefully, he led the way back towards the shore. "Yes, there's still a bit of sun. Shall we sit on the blanket a bit? It's cotton, fortunately, for more or less exactly this reason, and the sunny rock should make it warm."

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:52 am 

Utsusemi dipped her head gently. "Apology accepted, Kenzo. It would be hard to replace my yojimbo over such a trifling matter, after all..." to Kenzo, she was obviously merely joking, judging by how her smile tugged more to one side than the other and how her eyes met his. "Besides, there is the saving grace of not having ruined the seashell."

Allowing him to guide them back out of the waters, she kept a gentle hold on him for support. "Quite the foresight that you brought it along. Well... for the painting too. I actually had not considered bringing anything to sit on. Sitting for long periods on rocks have taught you that little trick?"

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:24 am 

Kenzo's lips twitched in response. "Nevertheless, I shall try to make it up to you. I'll have to put some thought into how..." His eyes lingered on hers playfully a moment longer before he turned forward once more.

Reaching the edge of the water once more, Kenzo climbed up first. Kneeling on the edge, he offered Utsu both hands to help her up. "Exactly." He said. "Especially if my expedition happens to be in the spring. Or the autumn. Really, whenever it rains, which can be rather often."

He shrugged. "I can't afford to be too fussy; there's going to be a certain amount of dirt involved in a long expedition, no matter what you do. I suppose that's why I give that sort of thing a bit of extra consideration. Kneeling for hours in the mud is even more unpleasant when you know you're going to have to go to bed that way, too." He cleared his throat. "Ah... but that's a bit unusual. Normally, they're very pleasant, my expeditions."

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:35 am 

"And in the summer it is too hot?" Utsusemi mused as she considered how difficult it must be to find the optimal times to go out on such expeditions. "This all reminds me a whole lot about what I heard regarding warfare; can't fight in the spring because of spring thaw and planting season, can't fight in the summer because it is too hot, can't fight in the autumn because of the harvest and the rain, and can't fight in the winter because of the snow. It sounds equally challenging to find the most opportune times for trips like yours."

With his aid, she climbed out of the water after him. This time without any attempts at dunking eachother.

Once out of the water, she let go of his hands to start wringing the water out of her kimono... at least as much as she was able to.

"Though I believe you when you say they are mostly pleasant. As you've rarely complained about them before."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:02 am 

"Hmmm." Kenzo's lips twitched. He, too, tried to strip as much water as possible from his wet clothing, although he was a bit more casual about it than Utsu was. Cold never bothered him, anyway. "One sometimes wonders, with how much effort it takes, how we manage to go to war with each other at all. I guess some people are just very determined to do so." He said, his tone wry.

He shrugged. "It's much easier for one person to go on an expedition than for an army to march, though. Weeks of preparation versus perhaps a day. A change in the weather, and I can be off." He smiled. "It's a very refreshing feeling. Freeing, I would say."

He glanced at Utsu, his expression curious.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:24 pm 

Utsusemi nodded. "And yet, it is also a samurai's purpose to be a warrior. Our culture, our society - everything reflects how we as the nobility of the land are the swords of our lord and our clan. I am not a warrior, but if my daimyo or our Champion commanded me to fight for our honour, I would of course obey. The wakizashi we carry is the very symbol of our dedication to that."

She sighed softly, trying to smooth out the wrinkles of the fabric after it had been wrung dry. "Not that I care for war. I think we as civilized and enlightened beings can do so much more, and better, than killing eachother." But like with many other things, she understood Duty and Honour. "... I suppose I have been reflecting much more on ourselves during our time here, especially when speaking with the gaijin. Strange how it isn't until you meet an outsider that you stop and begin to think of how things actually are..."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:40 pm 

Kenzo seemed to be more or less done drying himself; his kimono seemed to shed water rather easily. A few steps took him to the blanket laid on the ground; he waited for Utsu before kneeling on it, though. His eyes widened a little at her declaration, but he nodded solemnly. He hoped it would never come to that, but he couldn't help but admire her bravery. It was no wonder she brought at the best in him.

He nodded again, slowly. "Yes. I would suppose that it is due to having another point of reference. It is not always easy to see the truth about oneself unless one has something to compare to. Outsiders give us that. Like close study of a mirror, everything seems to stand out more clearly..."

He gave her a soft smile. "Have you gained any insights? I should be glad to hear them, if so."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:24 pm 

Joining him on the blanket, she knelt and made sure to let as much as possible of the kimono spread out to catch more of the warming sun.

"My insights? Hm, I think... that people believe our traditions, and identity as Rokugani, are much too fragile. Which I find disappointing, that some believe that our heritage and culture can be undone simply because some choose to dress in foreign styles, or act with courtesy to strangers and approach them with understanding. While I do not deny that this expedition has probably tested the faith and belief of some of us, I would say that all in all it has been a success."

She straightened out the fabric some more before elaborating. Not that it was terribly wrinkled, but Utsusemi was very often of the mind that things could not simply just be acceptable - mostly when it came to herself.

"Based on what we knew before we set sail, and then what we learned later during Hantei-no-kimi's meeting with the officers - we have achieved more or less everything we set out to accomplish, with only a naval battle remaining to be overcome. In which I have full faith in us to be victorious. If our values and identities were eroding, would we still be successful? Is our culture really so fragile that it cannot stand against innovation and new thinking? After all, what is traditional today was once new and groundbreaking, such as when the Lady Agasha found the perfect balance in tempering steel for swords, or how Soshi Saibankan reformed a lackluster legal system into something more efficient. Hmmm... I guess I am rambling now... still, my point is; we do not seize to be Rokugani by what we wear or having new ideas and theories. A person is no longer Rokugani when they no longer work for the betterment of the Empire."

It wasn't often Utsusemi became quite so outspoken about her own stance on the matter of tradition and progress, but Kenzo was a trusted confidante to speak with this about, and she truthfully had been thinking more on the subject the past weeks. For her, even someone like Bellena, who was a worshipper of Kahrsis and was not even born in Rokugan but was adopted into its fold, was a true Rokugani because she acted with honour and integrity as she worked for the Imperial throne.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:52 pm 

Kenzo knelt casually, comfortably, resting his weight partially on one outstretched hand. He'd managed to get most of the water out of his kimono, and the sun was quickly taking care of the rest. He did mimic Utsu in straightening the hem, to ensure that it was dry; he was less concerned with the water, more with the possible accumulation of mud.

He listened as Utsu spoke, his expression interested, and he sometimes nodded in agreement. "Please, continue to ramble." He murmured, his lips curling up into a smile. "I find it quite enjoyable to listen to. And, more importantly, very cogent."

As she paused, Kenzo nodded again, his forehead creasing lightly with thought. "My thoughts run along similar lines. We can change without changing the core of who we are." He shrugged. "And if we've been tested, well, so much the better. Now we know what we're ready for. And I think we're ready for more. Or, at least, most of us are." He frowned briefly, remembering his conversation with Yasuhiro the other night.

He sighed, pursing his lips thoughtfully. "As for your conclusion... I certainly hope that's true. Too much into the study of people for me. I never have to worry about a fox no longer being a fox." He gave her a smile. "I may have to let you be my guide there."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:21 pm 

"Knowing what to be ready for is the nescessary step to take. After the first arrival of gaijin to the Empire, and the following Battle of White Stag it is clear that the Empire is not the only realm of power in Ningen-do. This place has been a blessing in that it has been a small sampling of the various powers that be out there, conveniently located all in one place for us all to interact with in a... somewhat controlled envoirenment. A rather interesting experiment in social sciences, one might say," Utsu chuckled dryly, wondering if that had been the purpose behind the selection of the destination rather than sailing directly for Merenae or somewhere else.

Sometimes she wondered if she should have studied at one of these colleges, though when she was a Doji her family would not have approved of it, and as Ryuden's wife it felt odd to suddenly be a student again. At least officially a student. A person never stopped being a student, after all.

She sighed thoughtfully. "I won't say my conclusions or observations are correct though, but it is my view on the matter."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:49 am 

Kenzo gave her a curious look. "Utsu, I've had much the same thought, but from the opposite direction. The Imperial Explorers seemed to me to be an experiment. By and large, we're a collection of inventive and curious people, interested in the unknown. We've got a variety of skills and interests, and devotion to tradition. I rather thought that we might be a test-case for introducing new ideas into Rokugan."

He leaned a little closer, grinning, excitement flashing in his eyes. "I didn't think about it from the other direction." He said. "But of course, that makes the experiment even better! How fascinating." He chewed his lip thoughtfully. "This rather strengthens my earlier thoughts, then."

His excited grin turned to a smile. "Utsu, may I say, you have an excellent scientific mind." He inclined his head to her respectfully.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:00 am 

"Ah well..." her cheeks flushed a little, her smile turning wry, "... you don't live all these years with someone like Ryuden-sama without picking up some things. Matters aside, he is a brilliant man."

Despite her own very conflicting feelings towards her husband, Utsusemi could not deny that Ryuden was probably one of the most intelligent and learned men she knew, and often felt very in awe of his intellect.

"It seems we both have very similar theories then... as we do have a collection of various individuals with different approaches to challenges. Warriors, diplomats, priests, scholars, artisans, researchers, progressive minds, conservative minds, tacticians... it makes me wonder how it must all look for those in command, observing all of this from a different perspective."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:28 am 

Kenzo nodded, his smile not fading in the least. After all they'd shared, he no longer felt the twinge of strangeness at being reminded of her husband. "Regardless, you may consider me impressed." He murmured.

"Indeed." Kenzo nodded as she went on. "It could be a coincidence, but it seems rather too well considered for all that." He shook his head. "I am not quite inclined to favor randomness to that extent."

"As for what it looks like..." Kenzo let out a puff of breath. "I suppose that depends on their aim. Whether for the good of Rokugan or... otherwise." His lips quirked. "I'm not sure I like thinking of it from the level of the experiment. At least when I observe animals, I do my best not to disturb them."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:32 am 

"Well... I think that goes a little beyond what I know, but randomness is rarely something favoured in experiments, from what I understand..." while she personally believed it was more about personal gain for some, she also suspected that most apt manipulators would at least be able to make such coincide as much as possible with what benefitted the Empire.

Not to mention that from a certain point of view, a lot of things could benefit the Empire, and from another point of view, the same things could destroy it.

"Such thoughts are a little above and beyond us, as parts of the experiment, rather than as its observers, no?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:23 am 

"Indeed." Kenzo nodded. "Or perhaps one random factor, the source of the experiment."

"And yes." He sighed. "I'll admit that it feels rather strange. Still, I suppose that we should just do the best that we can. That's always seemed to be the best course of action."

Smiling, he looked down, his hand dipping into his obi for a moment as he drew out the shell. Dry now, it's colors shown a little brighter. Still smiling, he wordlessly handed it to her.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:48 pm 

Her fingers touched his as the shell moved from his hand to hers, and Utsusemi lifted it up in the light to admire its colouring.

Maybe she would see if she could find more of these shells tomorrow, as she suspected both Tsumugi and Yoshi would like such small trinkets from the distant realm of the sea.

"I see you kept your promise at least, as the shell is still whole," Utsusemi murmured as she glanced back to Kenzo. "Would you like one too, to bring back home as a memento?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:55 pm 

As always, the touch of her fingers on his made Kenzo smile, his breath catching just a little. "Of course I kept my promise, Utsusemi." He said softly. "I keep every promise that I make to you."

For a moment, Kenzo's lips pursed, then his expression brightened. "I think I should very much like one, yes. There are many memories from this journey that I will treasure. But especially this one." It would stand for all of the ordinary times they spent together, making breakfast, cleaning, or merely resting in each others' company, as important to him in their way as the extraordinary ones.

He tilted his head, his gaze going out towards the ocean. "Of course, we need to find a shell. And we're all dry, now. It would be a shame to get wet again, wouldn't it?"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:16 pm 

"It would..." Utsusemi mused, then extended the shell back to him. "Then please... you keep this one as your memento then. We found it together, after all."

She tilted her head slightly down, so when she looked at Kenzo, it seemed more like she was looking up at him.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:20 pm 

Kenzo took a deep breath. His eyes seemed to glint at her, his playful look almost shimmering with underlying intensity. There was something about that look she gave him, her hazel eyes softly obscured through her long lashes, that made his heart seem to beat faster.

Reaching out, Kenzo clasped her hand folding both their fingers around the shell. "We did find it together. I think it is both of ours. Therefore, allow me to propose that we share it."

Gently, he took the shell from her, his fingers lingering against hers. "I shall take it tonight. Tomorrow night, I shall return it to you." His eyes were warm on hers as he made her one more promise.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:42 pm 

"Share it?" Utsusemi was puzzled at first, but then when Kenzo spoke his promise, she noticed her breath caught in her throat a little as she felt greatly touched by his words.

"... I will be very upset if you don't return it to me," she murmured, fighting her need to hold him and make sure that he was not going to disappear now. They had made promises and pledges to eachother before, but for some reason, she found this one to be one of the more touching ones.

And this little seashell could serve as their symbol of their devotion for eachother, without drawing attention to other tokens usually bestowed to one's lover.

"And here I was thinking I wished to give you something to carry with you, to know I am with you even in the battle," Utsusemi whispered, her words nearly taken by the sea and the breeze, "but this... fits us better than anything I else I could give."

Theme #5Profile

Page 4 of 6 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next