Login FAQ  
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: A Brave New Frontier (D-3, M)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:13 am 

Bellena bowed gratefully, "You are far too kind to guide me yourself. I feel bad now, asking one of such import to show me around."

She picked up her stuff and began to walk, "Perhaps I could answer some questions you may have while we walk."

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:28 am 

"No need to feel bad, I pass close to the residence on my walk anyway, and as you say I can ask some questions" Suihime smiled "but what to ask? I have too many questions! Hm..." she mused for a few moments, before saying "tell me about your favourite place in the city."

Imperial * Captain of the Ashitae Maru * Courtier *Imperial Explorer * Herald * Jama's Retainer * Bookworm * Jinn-Touched * Prolific Pundit on Gaijin Affairs * Gaijin-curious * Princess of the Imperial Navy * Profile
Status: 4.0 | Glory 7.8 | Honour/Faith Exceptional | Reputation 1.3

Languages: Rokugani, Mekhem, Yobanjin, Merenaese, ???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:14 pm 

Bellena thought for a while, "I must say it is the Abraj al-Nabiin. The 'Tower of the Prophet' stands near the center of the Bazaar. It is the best spot to look out and see as much of the city at once as possible. I spent many hours up there conducting research of the stars at night... and had the opportunity once to go up as the Imam made her calls for prayers. It was truly impressive to see the whole city come to a halt as thousands of people began to pray together in unison... that such a bustling city could stop completely for a moment in time..."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:07 am 

Hearing someone native to the Jewel speaking Mekhem taught Suihime as much as what Belena had said. The way she pronounced Abraj al-Nabiin was noted. "They truly all stopped for one moment? To pray together? That...it sounds quite unbelievable. It would be like if the Emperor, may the Fortunes watch over him, walked down this very street. Is the Imam some kind of priest?"

Imperial * Captain of the Ashitae Maru * Courtier *Imperial Explorer * Herald * Jama's Retainer * Bookworm * Jinn-Touched * Prolific Pundit on Gaijin Affairs * Gaijin-curious * Princess of the Imperial Navy * Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:20 pm 

She smiled, "You might be surprised, but they offer 'salat' or prayer five times a day. The first thing you hear each morning is the call for prayer from the tower of the prophet. And yes, an imam is a teacher and priest of the teachings of the 'Prophet'. Their equivalent of a Shinsei in their religion."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:50 am 

"So the whole city is brought to a standstill five times a day? That is quite incredible dedication" Suhime was impressed "it's certainly a sight I would love to see with my own eyes one day. From all I've read, the city sounds like it surpasses Otosan Uchi in size, so the tower must be quite a sight to be able to see so much of the city from. I would ask more about this...Iman, however I believe the streets are perhaps not the ideal place to ask this."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:08 am 

Bellena nodded, "If you feel so, then I will trust your judgement."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:18 am 

"Perhaps we can arrange a meet before you sail home to talk of that. Religion can be a somewhat...touchy subject" Suihime didn't mind it, but enough people still had an issue with the world outside Rokugan after all. "What about the citizens of Medinaat al-Salaam? I understand it is a melting pot of many different walks of life."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:27 pm 

She nodded, "The Jewel has always been the point in which many different nomadic groups have been forced to pass through to survive. Over the years the numbers continue to swell. It's an ancient city, yet it is always evolving and changing. Many different kinds of philosophy, learning, goods, and even mystical sages fill its streets. There's always something different and unexpected around each corner. I was sponsored by the House of Dahab while I was there. They are a group of merchant families that wield considerable power in the city.... so fortunately I was afforded a safe experience growing up under their protection. There are many who are not afforded the same luxury."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:23 pm 

"Ah, the Dahab. I know that name" Suihime nodded "powerful merchants, with many families. Kind of similar to our clans, if I understand my studies correctly. It's interesting that merchants can be so powerful in a city so large. I guess money talks in the sands, neh?" she chuckled "how did you find yourself under their protection?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:28 pm 

Bellena nodded at the girl's somewhat simplistic but wholehearted explanation. Her lips tightened a little bit in her smile as she was asked about her connections because she knew the conversation would lead somewhere troublesome if not careful, "The Tortoise have a living enclosure in the city that is held in conjunction with the Dahab. My mentor helped to maintain the good relationship between the Dahab Merchants and our own. So they helped to watch over me in order to not damage the good working relationship we have with them."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:01 am 

"Is that so? I wasn't aware that the Tortoise had ties that went all the way to Medinaat al-Salaam" Suihime peered over at the woman with a curious look "how do you travel there?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:25 pm 

"The Tortoise have worked hard for the last few generations to expand the influence of Rokugan in the world. It may be difficult to see that here, or there may be even those who don't wish to see that fact, but hopefully it will open doors for your fleet in the near future." She replied.

"And for how to get there... there is a port north of the city by some distance that brings in much trade which is then moved to the city by caravan. One with connections with those traders can move with the caravans back and forth with relative safety."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:39 pm 

"So there is a way by sea to get there" Suihime commented idly, nodding "thank you. I have seen a number of goods that were clearly from the city, but I was curious on how they found there way to these shores. This is good to know."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:43 pm 

She nodded, "I wouldn't aspire to reaching the city without those connections to the traders though... the landscape is dangerous enough... but the people who traverse that route are even more so."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:47 pm 

"I'm certain the samurai of the Tortoise would assist in this, but I shall heed your warning and ensure that every precaution has been taken" Suihime nodded, already making plans in her mind "the Imperial Explorers have much to do before anything like this would be considered anyway."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:43 pm 

Bellena nodded, "There is a phrase among the people of the Sands. The future is close if you have patience. I'm sure for a woman of your youth and stature most things will someday be possible if you lay the groundwork."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:12 pm 

"I have been known to let little stand in my way" Suihime said with a smirk "I would be sure that the Imperial Explorers will go that way eventually anyway. Ah, I believe that is the residence in question" the Imperial motioned to the clearly gaijin style building.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:15 pm 

Bellena chuckled at the young woman's response and simply nodded her head. Seeing the building she bowed, "Thank you again Miya-sama. You have been more than kind to me. I plan on being here only a few days, but if I can return the kindness in some way please let me know."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:42 am 

"I'm sure we will see each other again Muhaki-san, perhaps for tea and stories?" Suihime smiled politely to the woman and bowed. "May the Fortunes watch over you."

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next