Login FAQ  
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: A Brave New Frontier (D-3, M)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:53 am 

"Land Ho!" The voice of the lookout rang through the walls of the ship. Moments, later a crimsoned-haired woman walked up the steps to the deck and peaked her head out into the early morning sun.

She moved over to the railing on the deck and looked out to the western horizon to the sprawling port town that lay off in the distance. It was the first time Bellena had set eyes on the Rokugani mainland... well, at least with the intention to stop and make landing. The wooden houses and oriental style buildings slowly came into focus. She had read and heard of this scenery for much of her life, but now for the first time she was experiencing it for herself. There was an odd familiarity, backed by a lingering sense of foreignness... a strange duality for sure, and one she pondered on as the dock came clearly into focus.

As their ship approached it's landing pad, it became apparent that there was some sort of commotion on the docks that was holding things up. Bellena asked for the mini-telescope and spotted two men apparently getting quite aggravated while each tapping a set of papers held in one of the man's hands in turn.

Bellena turned to the captain who shrugged and said, "Why don't you go see what's going on..."

Bellena nodded and jumped into the row boat on the side of the ship along with a crewman who rowed her to shore. Bellena approached the two men to be grumpily greeted by the man who appeared to be the dock authority. The other man, obviously a Yobanjin trader on a Moshi vessel, shook his head in frustration as he put his hands and his papers up in exasperation. Bellena asked what the matter was and was told that the documents the man had were not the ones he needed to unload his boat. The merchant was frustrated with how poorly the dock authority spoke the language of trade, something that he bemoaned had become all the more common since the Tortoise were ousted. Bellena calmly asked the man for his documents and looked them over for the port authority. She pointed out to the man that the documents were indeed in order, and showed the proper places where they had indeed been stamped and approved according to Rokugani customs. After a bit of translating back and forth, the matter was resolved and both parties thanked the woman for her assistance. Bellena was then directed to have her vessel dock at a different station seeing that theirs was now occupied.

Bellena returned to her ship and notified the captain who thanked her and got the crew to working to dock and anchor the ship. Bellena went into her quarters and retrieved her belongings as soon as they had stopped and made her way down the walkway to the docks. Even in her kimono and Rokugani attire, her hair made her stick out like a raspberry among the sea of blackberries. She drew looks of all kinds as she walked through the streets on her way to the Tortoise compound in the Northern outskirts of the city... most of the looks were not kind ones. But despite what all of the natives may have been thinking, she was one of them and intended to conduct herself as such. She smirked silently to herself as she looked around at what the Rokugani no doubt thought to be a diverse and cosmopolitan setting. The world was such a vast place, and she was excited to be back abroad, even if only for a short moment.

---

(OOC: Open for anyone who wants to chat with the gaijin on her way to her living arrangements)

Last edited by Muhaki Berena on Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

Post subject: Re: A Brave New Frontier (D-3, M)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:06 am 

The docks to the outskirts of the city, or what was once outskirts before the mass influx of building, had always been a part of Suihimes morning walk. The sea air was something she was starting to enjoy almost as much as time spent with her beloved horse. The different vessels arriving as well, with a mix of colours and designs, also interested her. She had an eye for ship design thanks to her brother, and could see a unique design and identify the origins quite quickly.

So one ship stuck out quickly; it was clearly marked as a Tortoise vessel, but not of Rokugani design. She watched as one of the crew involved herself in a discussion, resolving it quite quickly before returning to bring her belongings. She watched the ship moving, noting the other ship - a trade ship it seemed - for later investigation. The flame haired foreign girl had returned to shore, and was walking through the judgemental crowds. Suihime sighed, shaking her head. The changing hands from Tortoise to Imperial still was not going well it seemed.

She stepped out of her shady stop, parasol opening and resting on her shoulder to keep the worst of the sun off her; mother was around, and she'd already got too much tan for an Imperial princess. She had worn one of her better kimonos this morning, an Imperial green with the Mons of the Miya and the Imperial Explorers very much visible, and the parasol matched it perfectly. She approached the woman, a polite smile and a bow, and said "good morning, and welcome to Dragon's Guard City. I hope the voyage was pleasant?"

Imperial * Captain of the Ashitae Maru * Courtier *Imperial Explorer * Herald * Jama's Retainer * Bookworm * Jinn-Touched * Prolific Pundit on Gaijin Affairs * Gaijin-curious * Princess of the Imperial Navy * Profile
Status: 4.0 | Glory 7.8 | Honour/Faith Exceptional | Reputation 1.3

Languages: Rokugani, Mekhem, Yobanjin, Merenaese, ???

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:43 pm 

Bellena gently lowered her belongings, including a long cylindrical case and bowed. She immediately recognized the trappings of an important and wealthy member of the Imperial families and showed the proper respect. "Good morning Miya-sama. Thank you for your most gracious concern. The passage was a safe one."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:22 pm 

Well trained in Rokugani. Why don't the Tortoise ever give them a Wakizashi?

Suihime kept her smile, and nodded. "Wonderful. I so look forward to my next venture across the waves, there is nothing quite like it" she chuckled "ah, forgive me. I am Miya Suihime, personal retainer to Hantei Jama and Imperial Explorer. Thank you for dealing with the issue earlier, I had intended to step in but was beaten to it! Too many times I've had to do it, so my morning routine always includes a trip past the docks."

Imperial * Captain of the Ashitae Maru * Courtier *Imperial Explorer * Herald * Jama's Retainer * Bookworm * Jinn-Touched * Prolific Pundit on Gaijin Affairs * Gaijin-curious * Princess of the Imperial Navy * Profile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:27 pm 

Bellena bowed deeply at the introduction, "It is truly an honor to meet one of Hantei-sama's retainers. I am Muhaki Berena. I am sorry if I intruded on your duties Miya-sama, I had no intention of interfering where I am not wanted; the issue was merely a linguistic one... one that for a seafaring one such as myself sees with regularity."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:09 pm 

Belena? Suihime decided not to ask a repeat of the name. She dismissed her comments with a wave of the hand. "Oh it's not my duty, linguistic issues are fairly common here and I've learnt enough or understand enough of the usual languages that pass through this shore that a few calming words help soothe an issue through. Good to see another doing so really, many would turn a blind eye to the matter."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:13 pm 

She nodded gratefully at the woman's gentle reply, "I've spent much of my life as a translator abroad. Doing so only seems second nature to me now."

She tilted her head slightly, "Did you study languages at one of the colleges, or is Linguistics a personal interest of yours?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:19 pm 

"It started both as an interest and a duty translating pieces for Hantai-denka, but the colleges have called on my skills" Suihime nodded "so I guess both? I enjoy studying information on the lands beyond Rokugans borders, it helped in my recent trip to the north as well as the Imperial Explorers venture coming up soon. There is still much to learn though, and my resources here are sadly not as vast as I'd like, so hopefully I can learn more from the voyage."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:36 pm 

She nodded, "There is much knowledge and wisdom in the world abroad. I have no doubt you'll be able to find what you are looking for. Where was it you traveled to?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:48 am 

"Not too far; I visited the Yobanjin trading hub of Fu Gang. An interesting place, not quite as big as this city but still bigger than I expected. The hosts reacted well to my unexpected arrival, and provided some manner of hospitality" Suihime supressed a frown as she remembered the voyage "it's by far the furthest I have gone by sea."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:58 pm 

She nodded, "Fu Gang is an interesting port indeed. And I would say that you have probably traveled further than most in Rokugan. Is there any place you would like to travel to if you had the opportunity?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:11 pm 

"That's an easy one, but difficult to do; Medinaat al-Salaam" Suihime said without hesitation "I've read and heard so much about it. I imagine it could be a quite incredible place to see."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:16 pm 

Bellena smiled slightly, "I've spent some time in the Jewel. What draws your interest?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:21 pm 

"You have?" Suihime looked very interested "how delightful. I've not met any that have actually been to the Jewel. What is it like? Ah, forgive me" she chuckled "my interests in the city would span to 'everything'. I have read much of it from the few texts that have made it to Rokugans shores, but I can't imagine them giving a fair opinion of such an incredible sounding city."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:33 pm 

Bellena chuckled once in a good-natured fashion, "Everything you say? Indeed distilling 'everything' about the city down into a short conversation on the street might be difficult. It is a sight to behold for sure. Traversing the deserts to get there is a trial indeed, but there is no experience like it anywhere else in the world. I received my education in Medinaat al-Salaam. It perhaps feels more home to me than any other location. If you'd like to discuss it sometime I'd be more than happy to oblige."

She thought for a moment, "Though I fear that may not be possible for much longer if you are heading out with the Explorers."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:38 pm 

"I would certainly enjoy converting more about the Jewel. To have trained there..." Suihime held back a frown. Finally someone with experience of the Jewel arrives and it's a few days before the voyage! "I assume then that you've not considered becoming a part of the Imperial Explorers yourself?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:44 pm 

She smiled but shook her head, "Unfortunately I have other duties for which I must attend to which bring me here, and then will immediately see me return home. And besides from what I hear, many in my clan are not considered most welcome into the confidence of your lord or his planned voyage. An unfortunate, and hopefully momentary concern I'm sure... but one that is pertinent nonetheless."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:16 pm 

"While what has happened with your clan is not ideal, one needs to not paint all with the same brush. A lesson the Lion should consider" there was a smile for a few moments "as for the Imperial Explorers, I would certainly support the involvment of one with the knowledge and expertise such as yourself, and my word does have sway. Consider it for the future Muhaki-san."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:25 pm 

Bellena nodded graciously, "That is most kind of you Miya-sama. Perhaps at some point in the future when my duties allow a bit more freedom I will consider your most gracious invitation."

She looked up the street, "The city is a labyrinth of sorts, neh? Would you happen to know where the Tortoise champion's residence is located... I'm afraid my map doesn't appear to be up to date."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:58 pm 

"Please do" Suihime nodded with a smile "as for the city? I know exactly where your daimyo is located, and I can lead you there. I delivered a missive to him upon my arrival. It would be my honour to guide you. Please, follow me" she motioned to the woman to follow and started to walk.

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next