Login FAQ  
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Savoring the Simple Things (D-3 Evening, Moshi Warf)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:36 pm 

"That is true." he agreed. "I have been designing and building the ships for years now, but the journey is what I have been waiting for."

He slurped down a little more of his meal. "I will miss the noodles, though."

Carries: Wakizashi, Rapier, Tools
Speaks: Rokugani, Merenaese, Thranish, Sign
Accompanied By: Nari

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:38 pm 

She smiled, "The world isn't unaware of the glory of noodles. Though these are quite good... There are plenty of, how do you say... fakes... copies..." She shrugged.

"Plenty of people try hard to replicate it; with differing levels of success."

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:44 pm 

"I look forward to trying what's out there." he grinned. "New noodles, different rice, entirely unfamiliar foods."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:48 pm 

She nodded, "The world is a vast place... filled with good and bad... not any different from the things and people you know; just presented to you in different configurations than you are familiar with."

She took a sip of her water, "I hope you all are prepared for the evils you will meet on your journey. Both the ones made by others... and the ones you bring with you."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:56 pm 

"I hope so as well." he nodded. "This venture will have a great impact on the future of the Empire. Many things will change, regardless of what happens. If things go well, however, those changes may be for the better, here and abroad."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:58 pm 

She nodded her head at an angle slightly, "What does 'better' look like Miya-sama? From your perspective, of course."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:09 pm 

"Progress." he answered. "Learning from what we find out there, to improve the lives of our people here. Food, water, medicine, technology, all can be improved, while honoring tradition. If we can help other nations in a similar way, that is all the better."

"I am not a blind idealist, however." he added. "I do see the dangers in this. The abuses that we might suffer or inflict. We saw that with Hawthorne. But, Cornejo was different. We can follow his example."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:26 pm 

She nodded, but in a more contemplative manner. "The tricky thing about 'progress' is that it is a concept and a term wielded by both great and terrible men. Both those men sought 'progress'... Both of them dedicated their lives to it. I don't know if I've ever understood what that word is meant to mean though. I can make 'progress' on a research project... or in the completion of a book. But with out an end goal, without a direction, it's difficult to say one is indeed making 'progress.' Agricultural production breeds new challenges. It rips people from their homes, reshapes the land into a new image, an image that could potentially lead to danger and destruction for the inhabitants. Medicine creates longer lives; which creates a need for further 'development', displacing more people from their homes... leaving thousands destitute and without a means to provide for themselves; while allowing the benefits of this 'progress' to be owned and controlled by a few. It also creates new poisons; new ways of killing and destroying life. All I have seen 'progress' to actually mean is 'exchange'. One gives up something for something they deem to be of more value. "

She looked up, "The question is then... who is setting the direction? Who is making the trade? Perhaps Cornejo was a good example to follow. There are many both here and back at his home who disagree. Would you say those who stand at the mantle of your expedition are the Cornejo type? If they turn out not to be... would it still be 'progress'?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:49 am 

He considered her words for a time while he slurped up more noodles. "Cornejo's spirit is in this. I fell certain of that. I believe the intent is pure, but you are right. It could easily go wrong. That is all the more reason to be a part of it, to help maintain the course."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:56 pm 

"I hope you'll excuse me if I seem direct, but you seem to have a familiarity with Merenaese... There is a saying among the Merenaese, 'If the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit.'" She said with what seemed perfect fluency.

"I must admit I am concerned about any voyage which willfully excludes those who have some experience and expertise in the world beyond what can be found in books at a college." She said as she took a sip of her water. "I hope for your sakes you aren't being led into a pit so to speak..."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:15 pm 

"He who walks a lot and reads a lot, sees a lot and knows a lot." he shrugged. "Experience and scholarship are both valuable, which is why our crews have both."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:20 pm 

"From what we hear out on the ocean that doesn't seem to be the case... But I suppose all must start building their experience somewhere. It's rather unfortunate that there are so many beginners starting at once is all; wisdom is seldom learned without hardship. But the powers that be seem intent on excluding some of the more experienced clans in sea travel from their little endeavor. Such is life I suppose... or at least... such are the politics of men." She shrugged.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:00 pm 

"All the more reason to hope that progress alters some of those politics." he nodded. "Though, you may have forgotten a group of men with experience crossing the ocean."

His gaze shifted to a man, clearly Merenaese, a few yards away. He leaned against a stack of crates watching the conversation from a distance.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:16 pm 

"I'm quite aware of the men at your disposal... And suggest caution in how much you trust in their abilities; men such as these lack the type of 'loyalty' and reliability that I hear mainlanders find desirable. There are no bad students, only bad teachers. But me saying it certainly won't sway a man such as yourself. I'm sure you've grown quite attached to them in your time with them. By their fruits shall you know them." She replied with a glance at the man.

"Top to bottom there is reason for concern... but I do truly hope you are up to the task. Despite all my concerns I too am not an opponent of progress... just desire a 'progress' that isn't some distant and ambiguous nebulua of uncertain or unattainable ideals or a 'progress' fueled by the maniacal desires of conquest or power like the Yodotai or those like them..."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:57 pm 

"They were abandoned here." he responded. "Any uncertainty in their eyes is understandable. Loyalty is strongest when earned."

"Personally, I would welcome a return to the cooperation I once experienced with your clan. I regret that that relationship deteriorated as it has."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:06 pm 

"Abandoned? As if their prior masters had a choice... More like isolated and enslaved... but it is certainly interesting the way people choose to remember things..."

She took a sip of her drink, "But I will not antagonize you any further. If there truly are any Imperials who aren't like those in charge, it's best to support them rather than cut them off along with the bad ones. Best to not cut out one's eyes to spite their face."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:46 pm 

"Isolated and enslaved? Their prior masters had already left them here alone. There was only one voice speaking for them and when Pavo fled, they had nothing." he shook his head. "I am doing what I can for them, shielding them from abuse and providing them with opportunity. Until I mentioned them, how much thought had you given to their situation?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:08 pm 

"More than you apparently believe..." She said with quiet confidence. "But we all have our own limitations. Some internal, and some created by others. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to talk with them yet... You'll excuse me for not being able to fully understand their plight since I showed up this morning and have been trapped in my residence because people who look like me are no longer fully safe to walk the streets due to lies spread by those in power..."

She sighed slightly, "But that all is beyond what I can control... and to speak with them is one of the reasons I am here. To hear from them and from my other associates here on the mainland exactly what is taking place. Because to those outside of this bubble, the workings on here are a point of critical interest."

She then bowed her head graciously, "And if you truly have been aiding them in this time then you have my thanks. I hope the fleet they have built for your superiors will be sufficient for the aims of your journey... Though your workers may not truly have had the option to say 'no' and live, there are levels of compassion which are possible to dispense even as a perfunctory of coercive men. For that compassion you have shown, I thank you."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:05 pm 

"It seems we both have the wrong impression of each other." he sighed. "I would like for you to meet with them. If there are any issues or needs that I am unaware of, I would like to know. I have been aware, throughout my life, that some are often uncomfortable speaking their mind in my regard."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:17 pm 

"An unfortunate symptom of a world where those below are considered less 'human' than others. But nothing that you personally are responsible for." She said with a nod.

"I hope my willingness to speak my mind has not made you uncomfortable. I tend to avoid circumlocution in my speech when possible... probably something that is somewhat rare among polite company here on the mainland."

DescriptionTheme

Page 2 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next