Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Black and White (D-3A, Moshi Wharf)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:48 am 

Sometimes, duty can be a lazy afternoon, too. If Tori couldn't manage that, she would have burned out a long time ago. And this little tea shop caters to precisely that.

Broad tables in open air, for small parties, with a selection of table games besides. A place designed to bring one's studies, in a low-tension air.

Or in this case, her students' studies, as Tori reviews reports on local weather phenomena she had them compile. All over a cup of tea, and a game of go she idly plays against herself. It's not her game of choice, but it's a relaxing enough little diversion for some small piece of her mind.

Rokugani * Thrane * Merenaese

Post subject: Re: Black and White (D-3A, Moshi Wharf)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:02 am 

The ronin appeared, entering the tea shop and breathing in the air of the place, familiarity and comfort found therein. Moving whisps of salt-and-pepper hair from her freckled features, she settled a small smile upon her pale lips, she then shuffled the armful of scrolls and papers in her arms.

"Oh, go," she murmured, eyeing the Crane playing against herself and reading. She approached, having gotten a physical description of the samurai she was looking for, and this one seemed to be a match.

"Ohayo, em, I offer one thousand apologies, but would you happen to be Asahina Tori-sama?" The ronin dipped her head lowly and bowed at the waist, nearly dropping papers in the process but catching them between deft fingerpads before they fluttered free to the ground.

Outfit: Extravagant Clothing, Wakizashi, Pistol, Calligraphy Set, Traveling Pack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:02 am 

((Lore: Heraldry, Sage: 5d10o10k4 37, so close!))

"Hm?"

The Crane looks up from her reports for a long moment, studying this interruption.

Wolf. But not a warrior. Uncommon. An attendant, most likely? Though she can't help but appreciate some of the less relevant details as she studies her. Like wondering just how far those freckles go...

Something about her almost clicks, but not quite.

"I am, yes," Tori eventually says with a slight bow. "How may I help you, ronin-san?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:57 pm 

She smiled. It was a pretty smile, and her head tilted slightly to one side.

"I'm happy to meet you, then. This one is called Ran. It was brought to my attention while here in Dragon Guard City that you might be a potential employer of interest to myself. I would not go so far as to liken myself to one so great as you, Asahina-sama, with all you have achieved, but I feel we have common ground."

Ran glances down at the work the Crane is critiquing. "For example, the weather. I have been known as a weather bug, in my time. I find the fluidity of seasonal phenomena to be beautiful and intriguing at once, with the study of climatic zones and shifts being worthy of the poets who try to capture their elegance."

Outfit: Extravagant Clothing, Wakizashi, Pistol, Calligraphy Set, Traveling Pack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:56 pm 

Scholar seeking employment, is it? That checks out. Though it takes some effort to rein in the part of her mind that wants to melt for that smile; gotta stick to business. At least for now.

“Ran-san,” she repeats the name. “Please, be seated.”

But she doesn’t proceed directly to questions. Instead, she takes one of the scrolls she’s already reviewed. One somewhat outside the immediate sphere of what this Ran saw just a moment ago. Erosion patterns around Dragon’s Guard City with regard to planning new construction.

“Let me know what you think,” she says, and watches the ronin.

A dirty trick. That scroll will take some time to read and digest, but the pressure is on to finish now.

((Feel free to make up whatever you want in terms of content. Whether it’s good or not.))

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:44 pm 

She sat with a nod of thanks, and then nearly dropped her own scrolls and papers again as she was offered the new one from the Crane. Her own notes now obviously shunned in lieu of new knowledge.

For a pregnant pause, Ran was quiet as she studied... then she spoke.

"This looks to be a paper on the local patterns of erosion effects. Understanding the origin and composition of the sediment load can help to assess the influence of natural processes and human activities on erosion. Tectonic uplift, precipitation and run-off, hill slopes and vegetation can influence erosion in natural systems. Agriculture and deforestation are expected to increase the sediment yield, but dams and reservoirs can trap much of this sediment before it reaches the ocean. When building new structures, one should always consider what they're building upon."

The ronin looked up then, hoping she pleased the Crane.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:06 am 

In her minutes of studying, Tori can't help but entertain her thoughts. Some an impracticality she's failing to deal with, like studying the curve of this woman's neck, and others more personal, like how this ronin's attention suddenly locks so absolutely on a single task, to the exclusion of everything else, oblivious to all distractions. A strength, in some ways, a weakness in others. Adorable in all ways.

This wolf would absolutely make a cute pet, but would she make a good colleague?

Blank-faced, Tori takes back the scroll, and waves for a cup of tea for the ronin as she places down a white tile on the go board. It's still early in that game, and a fairly standard early arrangement. easy enough to jump in. "Tell me. Were I to hire you, what service exactly do you believe you could offer?"

((One of the eternal questions of playing a nerd. Does Rokugan even know what tectonic plates are?))

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:28 am 

"Ah, tea!" she seemed to pleased to be considered worthy of being served.
"Ah, go!" she repeated her early expression, watching the Crane move her tile, and lifted one freckled hand delicately, fingers ticking toward the board. "May I join your game?"

With the Asahina's query however, Ran thought for a moment.
"I am capable, and I am smart. Not as smart as one such as yourself, assuredly, but I am dedicated, and as ronin, I am bold. As ronin, I do not provide a single service, but several, so I am better able to make my way where I can find work.
I can navigate, both by map and using the stars; I can read the weather, and am vested in the science of physics. Thermodynamics in particular. I am a student of gaijin culture.
I am also a student of courtesy and etiquette.
And I can play Go with the captain," she said with a shy smile then, glancing toward the Crane, appraising.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:19 am 

Tori makes an open gesture, inviting the wolf to play.

"Intellect is only so useful as the will and creativity that guide it, and the heart that keeps it true." Statement of fact, but perhaps one this wolf already appreciates.

"I could find a use for one with your skills," she admits. "As could over a dozen others I could recommend you to, who could provide you a more comfortable and stable life than I can. Which begs the question; why do you come to me, specifically? I'm guessing, as you appear to have done your research, that you know I will not be in the Empire very much longer."

Are you here for the journey, or are you here for the coin?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:42 pm 

"I think you and I are similar," Ran said frankly, and she reluctantly handed back the scroll the Asahina had given her, and then lifted her tea cup to her lips.
"I think we both seek what is on the next frontier. I aspire to learn new things, I am ...invested in learning, I suppose. I am miserable if I stay in one place, stagnant and unchanging.
I know I do not bring something unique in my skills, but in my experience it has been better to be a jack of all trades, able to fill what is needed where I roam. I hope to find something you need that I could provide for you."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:19 am 

As this wolf presses the similarity again, Tori's courtier training flares up. An obvious political tactic to build rapport, and gain leverage toward an agenda. A technique she reflexively resists, but she also does not automatically counter it. Yes, Ran has an agenda, but it isn't one she necessarily disagrees with.

"Yes, I could certainly have use for you," Tori decides. "But I do not believe I shall employ you."

She gives a moment for the inevitable reaction, then raises a hand that she may continue.

"I believe you can be of greater service to the Empire as an explorer in your own right, standing on your own name. We currently have three of the greatest ships ever built by Rokugani hands in need of captains and command staff. There shall be contests and displays skill in the coming days to decide who shall earn these posts. I am willing to back your participation in the proceedings. Even if you do not win, per se, you may still attain a post as a navigator, quartermaster, or scholar. If you are conversant in any gaijin tongue, perhaps earn a place as a translator. You would, in many ways, be less bounded. I intend to choose my own command staff from the proceedings. And even if you are not accepted into the Explorers proper, we can revisit this subject afterward. If I like what I see, I could still employ you, and having displayed your talents publically would reflect better on both of us."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:31 pm 

At the Asahina's announcement, Ran's dark eyebrows rose, but that was all that shifted her On from it's position.

Her gaze drifted slightly as she listened to the sensei's words, they hit like barbs, but Ran understood. She understood all too well, what she was receiving now was exactly what was due to her, being ronin. She should expect no better, having chosen this life.

Ran nodded slowly, and her gaze returned to the Asahina, and she gave her a professional smile.

"Of course, Asahina-sama, I would expect no less, I did not envision a simple conversation and game of Go would decide my fate with you from this afternoon forward.
Although, admittedly, I do hope when you look back and me and consider me, it is with amicable feeling.
I appreciate your promise of backing in the proceedings to come, and I know I will not disappoint you." Ran bowed her head from her spot in gratitude.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:43 pm 

"I know this is not the answer you would prefer, and I apologize for any frustration," Tori says gently as she places another stone, the game secondary in her mind to the conversation.

"But I do believe this course best for you, as well as the Explorers. And I am now invested in your success; I believe at this point, it would be more pertinent to discuss your weaknesses, rather than your strengths. How extensive is your leadership experience? Any staff position on a ship is still a leadership role, far beyond a similar position on land, so a good showing in that regard will behoove you. And on that note, are you an experienced sailor?"

Best to keep eyes forward on this one. What this Ran doesn't seem to realize is that similarity cuts both ways. Though she quite likes the potential this Ran represents, if she's right, and they do have similar skillsets and mindsets, then all Tori could do is hold her back, and render her redundant. It is a variety of minds, more than a unity of them, that gives birth to something new.

((Go: 4d10 22, because why not.))

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:05 pm 

She understood, and nodded to express such.

However, she overtook the Asahina in the game as they sussed each other out.

"The life of a ronin is one of frustration, Asahina-sama," Ran said simply, without remorse. A simple fact. I chose this.

"I unfortunately have little leadership experience; to pay my way, I have become a yes-man of sorts, doing what needs to be done to get me where I'm going. I plan to change this, of course, I would like to lead, I would like to inspire, I would like to become something great, someone worth following.
I have spent time on the vessels I have helped build, usually wayfaring or maintenance. I would like to learn to sail, properly.
There are a great many things I would like to learn."

Games:Go/Intell: 5d10o10k3 38

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:27 am 

Though no master, Tori has always considered herself a basically competent go player. After tallying the score and ensuring the game is in order, she nods to her opponent; "You play well. I congratulate you on your victory," she graces her opponent with a respectful nod.

"I can offer some small measure of training before the trials begin, and you may have an experience base that will set you apart from others in unexpected ways. Training the heimin is a key leadership trait, not just in the rudiments of sailing, in which they are often more knowledgeable than some of us, but also in the operation and maintenance of more modern ships. We will need new drilling programs, put together by those more up-to-date in terms of ship design and construction. If you can adapt to the new role quickly, I believe you have much to offer. I am willing to assist you in covering some of your weaknesses in the coming days, in advance of the trials."

((I apologize; I realized after the fact that I spoke of this with the GMs, but not the playerbase. I'm Navy, and we just went through a long network outage. That said, I believe this is about a good place to wrap this up, and we can say some practice happened off screen, not that it's likely to have any mechanical impact.))

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]