Login FAQ  
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 3 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Shinri wo MeZazu (D-1, M, Orange Blossom)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:12 pm 

"I have no intention on joining the Explorers, sir. I have my duties on Kameyama to return to..." She replied.

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:22 pm 

"I see," he replies with a disappointed tsk. "Well, we have others going along I guess, despite their normal duties. I'm sure they'll do well enough and earn whatever accolades and rewards they deserve for representing the clan well on this historic occasion."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:24 pm 

She nodded, "Do you know of the fleet's destination? It seems to be shrouded in mystery... something that is quite unsettling for the world at large."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:28 pm 

"Can't say that I do, but isn't that something that sailors find exciting? Sailing to unknown places?" He cranes his neck a bit, twisting it until there is an audible popping noise as he cracks it. His expression seem to relax even more than it had been with the sensation. "Hantei-sama is keeping that to himself and his most trusted confidants. Hopes to make some sort of big discovery is my guess."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:30 pm 

"It's a considerable amount of military power they are shipping out to sea... something that our forces should be aware of as soon as the destination is known." She replied.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:40 pm 

"Yes," he says with a smile touching his lips, finally feeling as relaxed as he thought he could after his meal. "I'm far more familiar with our holdings on the mainland, but I've got people prepared to send messengers out to other locations. In case the fleet should need further support or assistance."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:48 pm 

She nods and pauses for a while to process the circumstances.

"I have heard you are seeking a spouse now that your wife has passed... should you not wait until your son returns and grants his blessing? Rushing to remarry and create a new heir can be interpreted as attempting to create a crisis... the type of thing you suggested you wish to avoid."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:00 pm 

"And lines have failed because there were no heirs as well," he replies with a shrug. "Which is another kind of crisis of it's own. Saionji and any of his children are the rightful heirs, something I wouldn't contest. The Muhaki know who their Champion is. But the seas are dangerous as my late wife's passing has proven. I wouldn't want the clan to end up in that situation if disaster struck twice."

Zazu gives her a jolly smile while scratching his belly. "People will always see me as something of an outsider in the clan. All I can do is work to show that I put the interests of the Tortoise first."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:17 pm 

She nodded, "I am familiar with that feeling."

She then paused before looking up, "If I may but humbly suggest one thing my lord... You say you wish to hear straight talk... So I will not mince my words. You are fighting an uphill battle in earning the respect of your vassals. I do not know the truth of the rumors spread about you, but you are largely seen as a self-indulgent and inattentive man. The more your actions appear to coincide with this image of you as a self-centered and slovenly hedonist, the less trust and loyalty you will garnish from them. If you truly wish to be seen as working in the Tortoise's interest, you must consider the way you handle yourself in public and in private. Doing things which are representative of a inattentive or overly ambitious regent have much more weight on one who bears the burden of a perception of self-indulgence."

She tilted her head, "Genjiko-sama was an experienced sea-woman... the circumstances of her death will be difficult for many to comprehend... right now your regency is shrouded in darkness... Not much adds up unless there are foul deeds in play; possibly by those who seek to weaken the Tortoise. And losing so much while things around you are changing so swiftly, fits too nicely into the narrative of both your enemies and the clan's collective enemies. I say this not to accuse you of anything... but perceptions matter significantly in the world of high politics, and in this particular feature... you are fighting with a significant handicap."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:16 pm 

"You're very well informed for someone that spends most of her time on a distant island," he replies with a chuckle. "People will whisper what they want to and they'll cause difficulties with their slander. But I have to wonder at the quality of any Tortoise that would believe such or speak so poorly of the man that got the Imperials off our backs. Who knows... had I nod done so perhaps even the island you are from might have been commandeered eventually. Any person that bases their loyalty and trust on rumors over actual actions and results... well, that type of person's loyalty is not worth having. Wouldn't you agree?" He favors her with an affable smile.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:33 pm 

She tilted her head, "One should not cut off their nose to spite their face. I don't think we are in any place to be dismissing valuable assets in the name of a type of 'honor' that you most certainly don't believe in yourself. If the things people say about you are in fact false, your actions will show them to be so... I merely suggest that you conduct yourself in a manner consistent with what you purport to be true. Otherwise, you're giving your opponents all the tools they'll need to destroy you and the Tortoise together. The bonds of loyalty extend both ways... that is the truth that all 'honorable' leaders understand."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:10 pm 

"I hadn't realized that I was acting improperly..." Zazu raises an eyebrow. "And I thought I was doing so well overseeing the clan in my son's absence."

He shakes his head. "The issue isn't with rumors or actions. It's much simpler and far more ironic. I'm an outsider, which is funny because there are so many Tortoise that are... exotic. The rumors are a symptom rather than a cause."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:32 pm 

"Perhaps." She nodded affirmatively.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:33 am 

"Tell me about your home," he says, in a curious tone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:49 am 

"A woman like me has many homes my lord. Which would you like to know about?" She asked.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:36 pm 

"The one that these mayors you spoke of rule over," Zazu says. "Turtle Mountain Island."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:42 pm 

"It is an interesting locale. A great variety of scenery despite it's relatively small size. It's strategically located, and conveniently tucked away from the eyes of less than reputable traders. There are all kinds of people from throughout much of the known world that congregate and embark from there. There are very few places more cosmopolitan than Kameyama-jima." She replied.

"And there is no better night sky that I have seen. It lies on the perfect position of the globe to see the wide variety of the stars throughout the season and is far enough away from cities on the mainland which attempt to block the stars out with their lanterns. It's a truly beautiful place... and our most well kept secret."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:12 pm 

"If I were not so busy I would like to visit. Perhaps when Saionji returns to take on his duty I'll be able to take the opportunity," he states with a hint of amusement.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 pm 

"I would make sure you feel most welcome when you arrive sir. I know you may not be the most cosmopolitan of Tortoise, but is there something you have interest in about the outside world?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:53 pm 

"That would be appreciated. How frequently do you make the trip between there and the mainland?" he asks, scratching his chin.

Page 2 of 3 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next