Login FAQ  
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: [D-3 A, Zoo] Dear Fortunes! What Is That Thing!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:28 pm 

There were many interesting creatures in the zoo. But there was one that could be said to really stand out.

Kenzo could scarcely contain himself as he leaned as close to the enclosure as he could, peering out at the giraffe contained within. The giraffe seemed otherwise occupied, chewing lazily on some leaves that the impressive length of its neck allowed to reach.

He started to reach for the walls of the enclosure, but a quick glance found too many watching eyes around. "Damn." Kenzo muttered. Still, this was pretty close, even without scaling the wall. He opened his painting kit, his hands trembling a bit with excitement as he set up a bit of paper to work on.

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

Post subject: Re: [D-3 A, Zoo] Dear Fortunes! What Is That Thing!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:05 pm 

Finishing up a study of another zoo animal, Koharu was in the process of packing up when she spots the odd Dragon. Wait, weren't all Dragon odd? Not to go off topic, she spots kenzo as he begins setting up. In particular she notices his painting kit. Curious, she glances his way a few times as her own stuff is expertly put away.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:38 pm 

Kenzo had taken a quick glance around, noting a few people nearby, but he didn't take any special notice of the Crane, and he quickly became far too absorbed in his work to spot her glances.

It took him a few moments, looking back and forth between giraffe and paper, and a bit of shuffling. He tried putting one piece of paper atop another, but shook his head with a grunt. That wouldn't do. Finally, his expression changed to one of realization, and he put one piece of paper away, leaving the other.

That done, he began to paint. He worked quickly and efficiently, lacking the refinements of superior artists. His strokes seemed to be focusing on the functionality of the creature, paying special attention to lines of muscle and bone.

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:41 pm 

A little curious, and with nothing planned for a while yet, she took a seat on a nearby log to watch.

She made sure to sit at an angle where she could catch glimpses of his work.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:59 pm 

As he worked, his brushstrokes slowed a bit. He began to work on the finer details, filling in shapes formerly passed over. Of note, he was only drawing the lower body, his work terminating at where the creature's impressive neck began. And no time was spent on any of the surroundings, although a particularly sharp eye might spot that he was making a few notes on the side of the paper.

Finally, after some time, he blew on the ink. It was when he reached for the case again that he spotted the Crane woman nearby. He blinked, surprised, then gave her a smile. "Impressive, isn't it?" He turned, gesturing towards the giraffe, still cheerfully munching leaves.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:09 pm 

The Crane blushed a little and dipped her head in greeting. The Mirumoto was quite informal! She smiles back, trying her best to be friendly. "It is magnificently tall, hai."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:18 pm 

"It certainly is!" Kenzo said, his tone clearly conveying his enthusiasm. "And the secondary characteristics of its height are fascinating as well. Observe the muscles in the neck, the shoulder. I wonder how many vertebrae it has. And it's circulatory system..."

He trailed off, remembering himself. A little. "Ahhh..." He bowed. "Mirumoto Kenzo. It's a pleasure to meet you, Doji-sama."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:44 pm 

At first she looked a little perplexed, Kenzo reminding her oddly of another Dragon she knew. Her smile became a little more natural as the conversation returned to regular parameters. "And you Mirumoto-san. I am Doji Koharu." She rose and offered a respectful bow. "How do you do?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:52 pm 

"Quite well, thank you. And yourself? I trust your day has been a pleasant one so far." His lips twisted wryly. "I hope I didn't disturb you in my excitement."

Some of that excitement returned as he glanced back to the giraffe. "But this is the first time I've actually seen a giraffe!" He said, his hands tightening. "I mean, I've read about them of course, when I was at the House of Dawning Light, but to actually see one for myself, well! That's something else." He cleared his throat, reining in his excitement once more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:41 am 

"Ano, iie, Mirumoto-san. It was enjoyable to see another artist at work."

Her gaze turned to the giraffe... yes, she did have to crane her neck.

She tilts her head and chuckles a moment later. "He's looking at you. Oh. I suppose it could be a she too."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:10 am 

"You think so?" Kenzo looked back towards the giraffe. He frowned, tilting his head at it. It's possible it was looking at him. In any case, it's head was angled in their general direction as it chewed.

"As for whether it's male or female..." Kenzo craned his neck briefly, then shrugged. "Can't see from this angle. Maybe if it came closer. Or I could get closer..." He glanced around, then grimaced. "Or if they had a second one. Wouldn't that be something? Male and female, a breeding pair!"

He was getting carried away again. "Uh..." He glanced at his conversation partner. "You said you were an artist?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:38 pm 

Koharu nods and smiles again, absolutely content with letting Kenzo steer the conversation... he was amusing to observe. A little childish in his open enthusiasm, but it was endearing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:47 pm 

After waiting a moment to see if the pleasant Crane woman would jump in, Kenzo continued. He was, after all, happy to gush about animals.

"I wouldn't really say I'm an artist, myself. Although I am learning. I even have a mentor." His lips quirked. "Really, I do it to aid my study of the natural world. Like this giraffe, here." He gestured again, smiling. "I wish I had the chance to observe it in its natural habitat. But I gather that would be quite the trip." He paused a moment for breath.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:59 pm 

"Probably, hai. I am still surprised it was transported here safely." Koharu replies honestly. She considers his words and asks a quick question. "Are you part of the Explorers?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:20 pm 

Kenzo gave Koharu a quick approving nod before turning his attention to her question. "I am, in fact. And very much looking forward to it. Ah, the things we'll have a chance to see!" His enthusiasm came bubbling to the surface again.

He gave Koharu a curious look. "And you, Doji-sama? Will you be on the expedition as well?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:46 am 

"Hai..." Koharu, in contrast to Kenzo, appeared to have mixed feelings. Some excitement, some trepidation. "I'm meant to lead in cataloguing the flora and fauna we come across." Stroking one hand over the back of the other she studies the Dragon for a moment then sucks in some air. "Eto, do you have a particular assignment already or...?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:18 am 

"Oh, really?" Kenzo's eyebrows went up, interested. "I suppose that means we're in similar lines, then. I'm a practicing naturalist, myself. I was actually practicing my technique on the giraffe, sketching its form and morphological character. Perhaps we'll have the opportunity to work together."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:45 pm 

Perhaps I can recruit you. Koharu nods and smiles. "That would be nice."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:46 pm 

"Perhaps so." Kenzo said agreeably.

He looked at her thoughtfully a moment. "As it happens, classification is not so much my strength. I'm more interested in form and function, observing the creature in its natural habitat. Still, there's no denying the necessity of what you do." He inclined his head. "Even if we're not assigned together, may I still consult with you on some things I've found? Your expertise might be just what I need."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:37 pm 

Placing her hands together she nodded happily. "Of course. In fact, if you haven't yet been given a specific assignment please consider applying to the taxonomy team."

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next