Login FAQ  
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: D0 LA #TBD - Unnatural Selection
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:19 pm 

(expecting, but open!)

There were a limited number of kimonos Kenzo had to wear, as an explorer. Still, this one managed to at least clean up nicely, the green and gold showing through vibrantly, and it fit his athletic form well. His hair was even neatly arranged, managing only a small amount of the slightly wild look it so often had.

On the other hand, Kenzo's expression made up for that. His eyes were a little wide as he glanced this way and that. A cup raised to his lips, substitute for a fan he didn't own, hid his grimace.

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

Post subject: Re: D0 LA #TBD - Unnatural Selection
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:31 pm 

Unlike Kenzo, Utsusemi was a creature of the courts and had the wardrobe to show for it, even after she had given up the extremly flamboyant garments of a maiden. And she still managed to stand out with the extravagant kosode over a pale yellow kimono.

"Are you so ill at ease, Kenzo-san?" she asked politely as she approached him. Her own fan, depicting a flowery branch with a full moon as the backdrop, was lowered as she had no need to conceal or hide her expression.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:38 pm 

The eyes became a little less wild at Utsusemi's approach. He lowered the cup, his eyes flashing gratitude at her.

"Is it that obvious?" He said, his tone just a touch sheepish. "I'll admit, I've never been completely comfortable at this sort of thing. Normally, I make do, but..." He shrugged.

His eyes flickered up and down. "My my." He said, smiling. "You, on the other hand, look... very much in your element here, Utsu-sama." He gave a graceful bow.

Last edited by Mirumoto Kenzo on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:54 pm 

The bow was returned in equal. "The wading bird returns to the water, so to speak," she chuckled.

"I am always amused to see how many young men and women act so concerned the moment matchmaker and marriage enter the scene," Utsusemi smiled with some humour. "How so many bushi would rather charge into war, than to think about getting married."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:03 pm 

Kenzo matched her chuckle. "Ah, the chance to observe the bird in her natural habitat I was hoping for. Perhaps I can learn something."

"Hah." He said. "There are bushi who can't speak three sentences without leading to a duel." His lips twisted. "I think the presence of the matchmaker... it feels more real, I think. Bushi may go off to war gladly, but they'll feel differently the eve of their first battle."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:23 pm 

Her lips pressed together as she thought of similar feelings women might have regarding marriage and those duties, and how easier it was for men. "Having never marched off to war, or been on the field of battle, I will trust your judgement on that."

She hadn't heard any news from her family in a while, apart from the general news of war in Crane lands, and it worried her. Her brother and father were probably not on the frontlines, but her sister, being more Daidoji than Doji at heart and trained by the Iron Warriors, probably was.

"If I would give any advice, I suppose even Mirumoto Hojatsu wrote something in Niten that can apply; What You Show and What You Do Not Show. Gatherings like these are all about hiding one's true intentions. Fans and sleeves are part of the deception in this battle, just as much as smiles and flattering words are."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:31 pm 

"Hmmm." Kenzo nodded, his eyes narrowed, a mixture of approval and understanding. "Well said." He may prefer the study of nature, but he appreciated a good literary reference as much as the next well-educated person.

"But I think you have the right of it." He said. "Smiling and flattering words, I can do. But neither books nor animals tell you when you're too easy to read." He chuckled. "I hope I don't reveal too much... you say you use your sleeve? I don't actually carry a fan, usually."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:45 pm 

"It is mostly a thing that women do though," she said with a small laugh, raising her sleeved hand as she did to illustrate how one used the sleeve to conceal their mouth.

"Not having a fan in a setting like this can be as dangerous as being on the field of battle with no sword. You are at least not completely unarmed," she shot him a discreet wink, "as you have your natural rustic charm."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:58 pm 

"Oh, naturally." Kenzo said, his tone dry. "Yes, I can see how that wouldn't favor me quite so well."

He did his best to stifle a smile at the discreet wink, but couldn't help it at her joke. "Ah, but Utsu-sama," He began, "-as a Mirumoto, I'm used to having two weapons, at least. I really do feel unarmed." He regained his composure, although his eyes were still alight. "Well, if all I've got is my, ah, rustic charm, I suppose I'll just have to charm twice as hard, won't I?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:09 am 

"It would be a start, perhaps," she chuckled mirthfully, "but be careful not to overdo it. A keen mind is also a great weapon, after all, so tempering your charm with your intellect would be advised. I am certain you can speak of many topics that could be of interest to many here... perhaps even enough to impress Miya-sama herself."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:21 am 

"Of course. Balance in all things." Kenzo said, fighting the same smile as he inclined his head. "I'll take your advice then, Utsu-sama, and try to use my weapons properly in this battlefield."

The mention of the formidable Miya matron made Kenzo glance around. "Perhaps." He said blandly. He pursed his lips thoughtfully for a moment, before giving Utsusemi a glance. "It seems to me that you, too, are an excellent judge of topics, Utsu-sama." He said, his tone speculative.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:34 am 

"An excellent judge?" she raised her fan. "I see you're already taking to heart the lesson of using your natural charm. But what makes you say I am an excellent judge of topics? I could merely be floating along with the stream of what is currently talked about by many."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:55 am 

Kenzo's eyes glinted as he watched her, a master at work. A small gesture, opening the fan, and yet it worked so well. Concealing her expression made him want to know what she was thinking, what she was feeling, all the more. Clearly, he'd have to get one.

"Ah, but isn't that the sign of true expertise?" He said. Unable to hide his expression as she could, his lips could be seen to twitch as he suppressed his smile once more. "The hawk does not flap its wings, but glides on the wind currents, invisible to us, as effortlessly as we breathe." He inclined his head, hiding his expression there just a moment. "That is true grace, don't you think?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:07 am 

Her smile was mirrored in her eyes. "How very poetic, Kenzo-san. You really have been picking up a lot already."

The fan shifted slightly, as if gesturing to invite him closer. "Effortless grace always catches the eye, but so much of what we think is effortless requires much. Like how a swan glides across a pond, to our eyes seemingly effortless, but underneath the water's surface the swan toils and works to maintain its pace. Is it still true grace, when one takes such into consideration?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:52 am 

Gracefully, Kenzo stepped closer, smiling as he completed the motion. He'd scarcely been conscious of it, but the gesture was an effective one.

"Ah, now we come full circle." He said, his voice softer now that they stood closer. "Back to your words from Niten. It may not be the same sort of grace, but a different sort, in keeping your efforts hidden."

His lips twitched again. "It seems appropriate that I picked a bird of the sky, and you a bird of the water. I do hope we can reconcile these to each other." He said, his eyes bright.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:14 am 

Her eyes met his, seeking an answer to a question she could not ask.

"... I don't see why such birds cannot exist in harmony with eachother," she demurred, lowering her gaze. A jolt of shame passed through her body at the improper thoughts that had taken root in her mind.

She shook her head, trying to focus herself. "Ah, but here you are, seemingly trying to impress me when it is the Miya matron and the maidens who should be impressed with you."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:50 am 

Kenzo's eyes were hot, intense as they met Utsusemi's. It was something she would have seen before, from time to time, just before his gaze flickered away. It didn't now. "I think so, too." He breathed.

Until she shook her head, breaking the spell. Kenzo looked away, rubbing at his lips, hiding the color in his cheeks. "Hah, I suppose so. Well, perhaps the Miya matron will be impressed anyway." A few moments passed as he studied the cup in his hand. "And... I did say you were an excellent judge, didn't I? Perhaps if I impress you, that would be enough."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:42 pm 

She felt heat rise in her own cheeks in response to the intensity of his gaze.

"Kenzo-san has always impressed," her voice murmured, unable to meet his eyes now.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:50 pm 

Kenzo's breath caught. This time, it was his eyes that sought hers, seeking an answer. With her gaze averted, he couldn't find it. "As have you, Utsu-sama." He said, scarcely more than a whisper.

He resumed his study of his cup, a tight smile on his lips. "Well! As you said, I should probably speak to some others. And you probably have, ah..." He trailed off, his imagination failing him for once.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:15 am 

A moment, and she had composed herself enough to carry on, as if the words exchanged quietly had not happened. For all onlookers, she knew she could not act as if it had happened.

"Ah, yes... I should probably float around some more in the pond," Utsusemi chuckled, "so the others do not start to think I have no interest in speaking with them. Besides, it's not often we get to attend gatherings like this, neh? We should take some time to enjoy the refreshements and entertainment provided by our lovely host."

Theme #5Profile

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next