Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 3 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: The Sacred Light of the Night (D0, EN, Temple)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:43 pm 

"That would be another planet. One bigger than our own... made mostly of clouds... and very far away." She replied.

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:45 pm 

"A..."

Planet.

Rokuro thought about that. "So it would be similar to... another plane? Such as Tengoku or Chikushudo?"

Description :: Theme :: Strife

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:42 am 

"Possibly." She replied. "Exactly what is on these objects no one really knows. It may be the actual physical location of one of those planes for all we know. What we do know is that it is different from say a star, or the sun. It doesn't have a light of its own, its spherical, and its quite closer than any of the other bright lights you see in the sky."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:53 am 

A moment of quizzical contemplation.

"Spherical. I see."

He pondered that. "It must be very far away then. One wonders what keeps it from falling to earth; the Lady Sun and Lord Moon are kept aloft by their own power, but a ball... would have no such agency."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:05 am 

"It would appear that these objects spend their days revolving around the sun; not unlike when one ties a ball to a string and spins around in a circle. In what way the sun helps anchor their movement it is not clear, but we can track their path around it with some consistency."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:17 am 

"What stops them from hitting us?"

He gestured, trying to explain what he was thinking. "When the sun goes by overhead, surely at some point they'd be swinging down toward us, so what would keep them from coming down to our world?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:21 am 

She paused and leaned down in the darkness to draw in the dirt. She drew a sequence of concentric circles. "So going off of the ball analogy from before. Imagine that these balls each had different lengths of cord attaching them to the center. They would each be clear of the other's trajectory. Never crossing or colliding into one another. We too are on a trajectory around the sun. Drawn to her due to some aspect of her greatness and light. It keeps our sphere on its same path, just as the planet you saw follows a bigger and more wide path."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:23 am 

A pause.

"Then... Lady Sun and Lord Moon do not circle us."

The idea seemed to be rather unexpected.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:32 am 

She nodded, "If we are to believe the evidence found in the stars. Lady Sun is central, and we pay homage to her by rotating around her."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:14 pm 

"Fascinating."

He considered that in silence.

"Then perhaps we are in her sky?"

It was an odd idea, yet he couldn't quite understand the arrangement of things, when combined with the rule of gravity.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:19 pm 

She nodded, "That is perhaps one way to look at it."

She smiled and looked down into the finder for a moment before looking up. "Is there some aspect of learning that you are invested in Suzume-sama?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:25 pm 

"I try to study as many fields as I can, but my duties have constrained me to primarily magisterial work. Law, investigations, knowing how to fight."

He sighed. "Other than that, I have spent some time studying the foundation of the empire; the flow of food, iron, jade... the materials which become the strength of the clans. It's fascinating, how the flow of simple material things can impact the futures of us all."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:29 pm 

She nodded, "The world around us teaches us of many things. Of things that could be improved... and things which should stay the same."

She smiled and tilted her head, "Would you consider yourself to be a 'progressive' man Suzume-sama?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:38 pm 

He examined her, understanding that the question carried more than just surface meaning.

After a long silence, he said, softly. "I care for what has made the Empire, and its people, great."

Glancing at the sky, he added, "It is better to know the truth than believe in convenient falsehood. Traditions were new, once... and I believe we should maintain the soul of our history, rather than merely the form. I suppose you could call me progressive, if only because I believe that, like our ancestors, we should not accept the world as it is, but rather as we could make it be."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:27 pm 

She nodded, "And what would that 'progress' look like to you? It's a word I must say I am not sure I fully understand; people use it in the funniest of ways."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:30 pm 

Rokuro nodded.

"I would say progress is when the people of the Empire live in peace and prosperity, growing in wisdom and preparing their souls for their next lives."

A faint chuckle. "When all of us fulfill our duties to the throne, I believe that is progress. Too often our traditions and pride blind us to those more ancient duties."

He glanced at the redhead. That hair was truly striking. "You? How do you view the term?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:48 pm 

She chuckled, "It would seem that your 'progressive' thought is another man's 'regressive' thought in Rokugani."

She then tilted her head, "I see it as something different I suppose... Progress is nothing more than an exchange in my mind. You give up something you want, for something that you believe you want more. To what degree the decisions we make are an 'advancement' or not is beyond the purview of most of us; as we will never see those changes in our lifetime."

She continued, "The realms of possibility provided by researchers, scientists, and philosophers are the basis from which these decisions can be made... that is why I personally endeavor to provide more options for those who may sit in power; because ultimately what is most important is making sure that those who influence the changes that are taking place are men and women of virtue and have the best possible information. But on that same token, giving the wrong information to the wrong man can have as disastrous a result as any other. All 'progress' must be reflexive; it must be tempered with moral goodness and compassion. Service and Duty are important... but rendering service and knowledge to an unjust ruler is as... if not more... 'regressive' than one who attempts to hold back the flow of time."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:32 pm 

Rokuro listened quietly, and then inquired, "How do you decide who is... unjust? By the standards of the day? Or those of the tradition, or those of your furthest ancestors?"

He noted her comment on his opinions, but did not answer them yet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:51 pm 

"By what is best fit for the circumstances at hand. And what will lead to the best possible future." She replied.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:58 pm 

"You said we cannot know what the future holds; that we cannot know to what degree the choices we make are advancements."

He quirked his head.

"Therefore, it seems, the answer you are giving me is... the present. You do not believe in drawing from the past as a lesson, then?"

Page 2 of 3 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next