Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: On Admissibility [LE0, Matchmaker's Office, Closed]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:37 am 

Odorihime was waiting in her elegantly austere office, beautiful in design without embellishments. There was nothing in it that you could pretend to be distracted by. There was only the statuesque Imperial Matchmaker.

Post subject: Re: On Admissibility [LE0, Matchmaker's Office, Closed]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:24 pm 

Haruka bowed respectfully when she was admitted into the matchmaker's office, her eyes taking in the scene in front of her.

"Miya-sama, thank you for taking the time to see me. This has been an eventful evening, to say the least." A light pleasantry to open up things up, as proper decorum demanded. Still, if Odorihime's reputation was to be believed, Haruka had best cut to the quick.

"My duty, however, compels me to seek this meeting with you tonight."

"Testimony in place of evidence has been one of the finest examples of our long-term social engineering."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:59 pm 

"I assumed as much. Please make yourself comfortable, Doji-san." Odorihime said neutrally, pointing to the place on the other end of the low table. "Your duty, you've mentioned?"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:44 am 

Haruka seated herself when prompted to, placing her hands on her lap.

"My duty to the Emerald office, Miya-sama." Haruka began. "In reference to the matter earlier today, Miya-sama. Though, I was later informed that your son was into his cups at the event."

Haruka left it unsaid that Odorihime herself had denounced her own son, much less his statement. There was also no need to repeat the sordid details of the soiree; everyone here was also there. What Haruka was doing was a courtesy extended by the law to the great and the good in all societies since the concepts of law and society existed: laying the cards out on the table and giving Odorihime agency in determining what happens next.

"Testimony in place of evidence has been one of the finest examples of our long-term social engineering."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:28 am 

Odorihime was expressionless.

"He might have been, but there is a deeper problem at play. He had an accident at sea last year and was suffering from complete loss of memory in the days immediately following his saving. He possesses a unique set of skills Hantei Jama-no-kimi had found particularly useful in his naval projects, hence my son resumed work soon after the accident. He had not been sufficiently diagnosed or tested for the consequences of his condition, having stayed mostly around heimin workers for the last year. This afternoon has revealed deeper damage to his memory and comprehension, to my dismay. His further exposure to social settings poses a risk to my family, hence I've taken measures to prevent it. At the same time, I leave it to Hantei Jama-no-kimi to be the arbiter of his further utility."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:01 pm 

"I see, I had not known that about your son's history, Miya-sama. Your clarity of thought is something we should all aspire to." Haruka praised the Miya's resolve in the face of such disappointment in life. As a Crane, she could relate to how such flaws in the tapestry of life might well unravel a lesser person.

"I do not imagine that Jama-no-kimi will deprive himself of your son's services this close to his departure any more than a warrior would deprive himself of even a finger before battle." Almost unconsciously, Haruka rubbed at one of her own fingers at that sentiment. "I had sought this meeting to collect context into what happened and what is to happen. By my office's charter, what transpired at the event today falls into my official jurisdiction as the Emperor and his family were impugned against. By the same, I am held to the duty of collecting information about what happened should the local governor or my superiors make inquiries upon my investigations."

"However," Haruka paused, "This matter appears to be one of entirely local concern; being as how it does not represent, on face, organized blasphemy or other action against the Emperor or his family along with other mitigating factors such as your son's state of mind at the time. It would seem to be a matter best handled by local authorities. I believe, in this, we concur, yes?"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:10 pm 

Odorihime waited out the jurist's initial tapestry-weaving since she well knew that all that came before 'but' or 'however' was usually posturing and signalling. She nodded slowly. She also knew that in the world of legality based on testimony, less was more.

"I believe we can concur on your last point."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:30 pm 

Haruka knew not to take Odorihime lightly. She, too, was very much aware of the adage about testimony in Rokugan's legal system. And so, it was a signal to the Miya that, for all her capacity, Haruka was not seeking testimony overmuch in this matter.

"That is excellent to hear, Miya-sama." Haruka said with some relief, seeking to release any tension before moving on. "It was my hope, of course, to maintain only an orderly environment about this place; the Empire expects no less, of course, but I must confess a personal interest in seeing that there be nothing even perceived as unseemly as my lady, Doji Tsugiko-sama, has a close interest in this sailing."

And there it was. The reason Haruka was not digging too deeply or seeking to upset the cart too much.

"I imagine with the stresses of all this planning and her own candidacy for betrothal before the ships cast off, well, what could I do but hope to ease her mind in some small way?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:27 am 

"The miai proceedings tomorrow should increase orderliness by a good measure." Odorihime remarked calmly. "It is Hantei Jama-no-kimi's expressed wish for his own matters of betrothal to be handled once the issue of succession is resolved. While I have no title to presume to know his mind, from my perspective the logic behind differentiating between an Empress and a wife of an Otomo has greater weight than related concerns. Hence Doji Tsugiko is exempted from my imminent consideration for the moment in order not to foreclose her prospects."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:47 pm 

"I see." Haruka responded calmly. She had no expectations of things like this going smoothly. That Odorihime was also aware of the stakes and goings-on was unsurprising.

"I wish them both well, then, in achieving what the Heavens would have them do in this life. As for a more personal concern, Miya-sama will be matching me up at this miai?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:33 pm 

"I am the Imperial Matchmaker, and you are an eligible and unspoken for Imperial official." Odorihime replied calmly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:28 pm 

Haruka blanched inwardly. It was her duty, yes, but that did not mean she did not have apprehensions about it.

"That is all true, yes." Haruka calmly agreed. "I look forward to the time when we will meet again, Miya-sama, to discuss a more pleasant matter."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:43 pm 

"Of course, Doji-san. This is something to look forward to." She put the fan down in case Haruka needed a signal of being dismissed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:59 am 

Haruka took the hint and, opting not to outstay her welcome, bowed to the Miya before seeing herself out.

/scene?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:03 am 

/scene

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]