Login FAQ  
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:03 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 

Post subject: (LA Event #19) Enthuse about the last Great Games
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:07 pm 

Navigating the party was difficult, but Kenzo was an explorer. It was all about watching and waiting, and finding the right moment to make your move.

In this instance, it was finding a small group talking about athletics contests. Kenzo moved in, and before long was taking part just as much as the rest.

"It's true, the Lion players might be the fastest." Kenzo said. "But that's on flat ground. Any time the race crosses over uneven ground, the Dragon are going to make up time. If there's ever a contest in the mountains..."

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

Post subject: Re: (LA Event #19) Enthuse about the last Great Games
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:57 pm 

Pursuing that same line of conversation, nearby, was the Jade magistrate. Except she was focusing on the martial arts aspects. And she really, and i mean *really* knew her stuff. Unfortunately, she also appeared to have no idea she was overwhelming her conversational partner and was essentially dominating the conversation.

"...well of course that kind of hold could only be..."

"...and then following up you'd think you'd see Ichiro Kojiku-san engage in his famous two-one follow up, but the fact he didn't really couldn't..."

"...Oh no it's not a simple matter of momentum, no no no. It's a common misconception, but it's the combination of various..."

"...Ah that reminds me..."

"...Well he did alright on the final stretch and won the match but I don't think that his earlier display was quite as good as it was in previous seasons..."

"...So then *she* said..."

"...and that's how Sumai was founded!"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:22 pm 

Such was the force of the Seppun's conversation that it gradually overpowered the nearby conversations, much in the manner of the sumai she was discussing. Gradually, person by person, they were absorbed into discussing martial arts instead of other athletics. Or rather, absorbed into listening about martial arts as Hikari figuratively seized them and threw them out of the conversational ring.

Kenzo blinked, realizing just how much the conversation had shifted. "Errr..." He began sturdily. "What about martial arts performed on uneven ground?" He said, trying to link it back to his last statement. "Surely that changes things."

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:34 pm 

"Oh!" she seemed thrilled by the question, because it allowed her to go into another lengthy explanation. "There's several styles that specifically account for such conditions, though they're still relatively new. Some are designed for mountainous terrain, and are built upon achieving the high ground, without which one can not win. Then of course there's styles like that showcased by some among the Mantis, who have to deal with the motion of boats. I have not seen this style being used under such conditions yet myself, but I have read accounts. Each of these styles is highly adaptable of course, which has its advantages, but this also means they aren't as specialized, which can be a disadvantage when facing an opponent whose style has more focus."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:45 pm 

"Really?" Kenzo said, his expression interested, as he managed to track at least a good portion of the conversation. "I should like to hear more about these styles designed for mountainous terrain. As a Dragon, I rather have come to expect to have the high ground." His lips twisted at that.

Oh, right. Introductions. He bowed. "Mirumoto Kenzo, at your service."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:24 pm 

"I believe your own Togashi to have developed such techniques themselves, Mirumoto-san."

At his bow, she gave a small bow herself. "Seppun Hikari, daughter of Seppun Kentoshi-ue, resident Jade Magistrate."

Most of the time she did not mention her family ties, obvious as they usually were and otherwise appearing a bit too arrogant at times; but this was the sort of gathering where it seemed appropriate to mention one was part of the Imperial kuge.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:50 pm 

Kenzo's eyebrows went up as he bowed again. "Seppun-sama." He murmured.

As he straightened, he smirked, just a little. "I'm not surprised to hear that they were developed by my Togashi cousins. On the other hand, have you ever tried talking to them about a complex matter?" He shook his head. "I mean them no disrespect, but their tendency to speak in riddles is well-known, and well-earned. I prefer to be more straightforward in my speech." He cleared his throat. "Generally speaking."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:33 pm 

"Of course, of course," she took a moment to retrieve some sort of small snack from one of the two intricately carved containers that dangled from her side and popped it into her mouth.

"But they are," she said through chewing bouts, "the ones to ask. Unless you'd find more purchase among the yamabushi of the brotherhood."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:02 pm 

"I suppose it is." Kenzo sighed. "Well, perhaps I'll ask them one day, preferably when I'm feeling extra alert."

"Are you a martial arts practitioner, Seppun-sama? Or merely an observer? I would place myself in the latter category, I warn you." He said dryly.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:07 pm 

"I have some training in jiujutsu techniques," she answered.

In truth, her training was relatively rudimentary, but her natural raw talent had been sufficiently impressive in recent days.

"Purely as a fallback, of course."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:37 pm 

"Ah!" His expression brightened. "Yes, I think I understand. I'd been about to ask you what your fallback is. But you're the new Jade Magistrate, right?"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:47 pm 

"For the past six months, at least, yes."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:38 am 

"Ah, very good. Congratulations." He said with a nod.

He tilted his head, looking at her. "Will you be travelling on the expedition?"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:20 pm 

"It appears so," she said with slightly inclined head. "My office should participate, after all."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:49 pm 

Kenzo nodded. "It certainly makes sense that we should have someone in your office to accompany us, I suppose." He smiled. "Opinions differ on whether it is possible to over-prepare, but it certainly is possible to under-prepare. And the skills of a Jade Magistrate are something we wouldn't want to be without if we needed them."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:23 pm 

"It is good to know some see it that way," she said.

Not everyone does.

"And for you? It is not an adventure I had thought especially appealing to many a Mirumoto."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:09 am 

"Ah!" Kenzo brightened visibly. "Well, as it happens, I received additional education at the House of Dawning Light. Of course, I'd been studying before that." He chuckled a little.

Clearing his throat, he went on. "Ah, but anyway, I've been making a study of the natural world. I'm hoping that it is in this capacity that I will be most useful on this voyage."

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]