Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Mamma Miya: The Tethering [Resolutions, LM-EE1]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:50 pm 

[Susumu, Late Morning]

Odorihime was silent for a good while, nothing readable from her porcelain On, frozen in her thoughtful, finger-steepling position.

"You know, Gusai-san, I love my son. And yet, for the good of the Empire and my family I have barred him from seeing me today over his own paramour, and have forsaken him. It has broken my heart. I know you to be his good friend, so you probably know this already. For regardless of our personal sentiments and the chase for blessings of Benten or Hotei, neither you nor me can ever forget that we are born to Ningen-do not for our own sake, but for the responsibility before our betters, our ancestors and the Empire we leave to our children. I believe my daughter to understand it better than you do, for I have brought her up to understand it. Neither of your off-putting flaws, nor your acumen as a mariner have much to do with it. In the Celestial Order you are middling at best, and she is of Hantei blood, even if your sense of self-entitlement prevents you from seeing that clearly."

She closed her eyes.

"I'll see my daughter first before I make up my mind. You are dismissed."

Post subject: Re: Mamma Miya: The Tethering [Event, LM-EE1]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:09 pm 

[Suihime, Early Afternoon]

Upon listening to her daughter's request Odorihime was performing the Imperial Facepalm (index fingers on temples), weighing her words. Before she had a chance to address her daughter, a commotion outside her office broke the solemnly tense moment. Soon the screen opened...

[Act #4: Secret Love Activated, and Expended]

...and two Minor Clan Champions enter the room, to the Matchmaker's deep frown.

Post subject: Re: Mamma Miya: The Tethering [Resolutions, LM-EE1]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:21 pm 

Suhime turned in surprise as her meeting with her mother was interrupted. This was certainly not what she expected!

Imperial * Captain of the Ashitae Maru * Courtier *Imperial Explorer * Herald * Jama's Retainer * Bookworm * Jinn-Touched * Prolific Pundit on Gaijin Affairs * Gaijin-curious * Princess of the Imperial Navy * Profile
Status: 4.0 | Glory 7.8 | Honour/Faith Exceptional | Reputation 1.3

Languages: Rokugani, Mekhem, Yobanjin, Merenaese, ???

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:43 pm 

Ryoshida entered first, and spoke first, relatively calmly and slowly, though the storm brewing in his eyes was seeping into pauses between sentences.

"I think it's time to call an end to this dancing around, Miya-san. I want your daughter's hand in marriage. We share the blood of Hantei, and the ancestry bestowed on me by my mother shall not be diluted any further by lesser spouses. She is a woman after my own heart, daring and relentless at sea, sharp-minded and ambitious. She has already accomplished more than the upstart vassal of mine who deludes himself with being worthy of her. You know the future of your beloved Empire hinges on the sea expanse that is my birthright and my domain. I believe your choice to be simple, and constrained by your other scion's recent missteps. I will not see kindly any consideration shown to the fat and cowardly rut-dweller who now reeks at my back."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:50 pm 

Zazu was relaxed, even amused.

"But Miya-san surely realises that the mending of ties between the Imperial Families and the Tortoise is more crucial than personal fancies of a man who claims rights to the oceanic domain he cannot even sail because of his inferior vessels and inept crews. It is the goodwill of the Tortoise that may make the difference between the success and failure of Prince Jama's First Voyage, and all the future Imperial maritime effort. I am in need of a wife of your daughter's calibre. If I am shunned today, many years from now scholars will be contemplating much better would-have-beens."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:53 pm 

Odorihime gave her daughter one look, seeking indication of her own thoughts on the situation they both were now in.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:16 pm 

Suihime was frozen as the two men made pleas for her hand. Two champions no less! She needed time to think, time she didn't have.

Susumu-kun...

She rose, turning to look at the two men and bowing deeply.

"Mina-sama...will you allow me a moment to converse privately with my mother?"

Imperial * Captain of the Ashitae Maru * Courtier *Imperial Explorer * Herald * Jama's Retainer * Bookworm * Jinn-Touched * Prolific Pundit on Gaijin Affairs * Gaijin-curious * Princess of the Imperial Navy * Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:24 pm 

"The esteemed Champions will give us one minute." Odorihime insisted, and both men nodded, making their way out for the time being.

[dramatic pause]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:44 pm 

[Yuki, Early Morning]

"...I think it is a sound arrangement, Kitsu-san. As you surely realise I will need my representatives on this voyage. One, because some of the bachelors have decided to play smart and lose my invitations for today's meeting. While I am not going to chase them around the town, nor will I complicate Prince Jama's designs by shaming his chosen men and women, the Imperial authority must be inescapable nonetheless, so you will have a bit of your own work on the journey. And two, what is of greater salience, the betrothals I am arranging today must not fall apart because of foolishness or sense of impunity. Those who will leave their promised behind should be aware that their duty is to return in conditions that have not compromised them."

She tapped the table.

"Your vices are known to me, your current name does not obscure your abilities to me, and your own preferences pose no threat of the abovementioned compromising. This is enough to encourage me to put some confidence in you. Unless you are of a different opinion."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:48 pm 

Miya Odorihime wrote:
"The esteemed Champions will give us one minute." Odorihime insisted, and both men nodded, making their way out for the time being.

[dramatic pause]

Suihime waited a few moments after the men left before turning to her mother, managing to hold back a sigh. This was a mess. "Mother...may I ask your advice on this?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:52 pm 

"I'll make the final call, dear, not you. Hence it is you who has the last chance to state your preference." Odorihime replied quietly with some tension to her voice.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:53 pm 

Miya Odorihime wrote:
[Yuki, Early Morning]

"...I think it is a sound arrangement, Kitsu-san. As you surely realise I will need my representatives on this voyage. One, because some of the bachelors have decided to play smart and lose my invitations for today's meeting. While I am not going to chase them around the town, nor will I complicate Prince Jama's designs by shaming his chosen men and women, the Imperial authority must be inescapable nonetheless, so you will have a bit of your own work on the journey. And two, what is of greater salience, the betrothals I am arranging today must not fall apart because of foolishness or sense of impunity. Those who will leave their promised behind should be aware that their duty is to return in conditions that have not compromised them."

She tapped the table.

"Your vices are known to me, your current name does not obscure your abilities to me, and your own preferences pose no threat of the abovementioned compromising. This is enough to encourage me to put some confidence in you. Unless you are of a different opinion."

"Some always say that while the cat is away, the mice will play. For this voyage the cat . . . . Kitten or Lynx will surely be with the mice all the time. Their play will be curtailed."

He tapped his furled fan to one knee.

"And Gaijin interference will be . . . discouraged."

Honour: Untrustworthy * Glory: 3.1 * Status: 4.5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:35 pm 

"We see eye to eye on this then. I wish you a pleasant journey and a safe return. My scribe will provide you with proper certification."

She halted a gesture of dismissal halfway.

"I've been told that Ikoma Meiran may retire after this winter, and her son Karaku will ascend to daimyoship. It will be a loss in the capital; he's been a remarkable ambassador to the Imperial Court."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:45 pm 

Yuki had been preparing to leave, but he paused.

"A tragic loss to the Imperial Court. I am sure the Lion will appoint someone . . . suitable to succeed him."

His On never wavered as he bowed and withdrew as gracefully as a Scorpion Courtier.

Which after all is what he was, just in Kitten's clothing.

/exit

Honour: Untrustworthy * Glory: 3.1 * Status: 4.5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:17 pm 

[Utsusemi, Early Evening]

"...I stand by my offer to invest you with capacity to keep a keen eye on the vagaries of youth. While I have named Kitsu Yuki an Imperial Nakodo for this journey for all outstanding matters related to matrimony, as any man he has his shortcomings and predilections. My hope is that you can work with him and subtly make up for his limitations in scope and experience. Sometimes all is needed to ease a personal conundrum is a motherly hand. It is my wish that betrothals arranged today stand the test of this voyage and no-one shall shame their families while exposed to temptations of boredom, distance and exoticity."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:32 pm 

Utsusemi bowed deeply to the woman. "I am honored you place such faith in me, Miya-sama. With your blessings, I will watch over them and give them the guidance they need on this voyage."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:38 pm 

"You have my blessings then. And when you return, we'll talk about your eldest."

Odorihime signalled dismissal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:53 pm 

To her, it seemed like a subtle hint that if the results from the voyage were satisfactory, it would brighten the possibilities of her Yoshi-kun. "Thank you, Miya-sama. May the Fortunes look with favour on you and your family."

Another bow, and the Crane-Dragon departed as the matchmaker had dismissed her.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:36 pm 

Miya Odorihime wrote:
"I'll make the final call, dear, not you. Hence it is you who has the last chance to state your preference." Odorihime replied quietly with some tension to her voice.

"Hai..." Suihime started, nodding and looking down at her hands. What was her decision? "This became more difficult, ne?" She sat down, collecting her cup and taking a sip of tea. Stalling again, and her mother would easily see this. Eventually, she started to speak again. "I don't know Muhaki-sama, but I know his reputation...and his interest was only in rebuilding relations between the Tortoise and the Imperial Families. I don't see him as the kind you want your only daughter to be stuck with. Gusai-dono..." Suihime paused. She wanted to list all of the issues she had, but if she rejected Ryoshida and chose Susumu, what would happen to him? She was sure it wouldn't be good.

I have no choice.

"...Would be the more suitable choice, ne?" She finished, quietly. "It's what you would do."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:45 pm 

"It is what I will do, dear. Stay here; your mother has it." She said with a hint of pride and rose to face both Champions outside, herself.

/scene

[As of EA1, Miya Suihime is blissfully betrothed to Gusai Ryoshida, Mantis Clan Champion; Suihime will marry into the Mantis.]

Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next