Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 3 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: For the People (D2, EM)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:23 am 

He had not been greeted warmly by the Tortoise. It had been made quite clear that he was not welcome within their compound. But, a message had been sent that he was waiting outside for Muhaki Berena. Edogawa played fetch with Nari while he waited to see if she would see him.

Carries: Wakizashi, Rapier, Tools
Speaks: Rokugani, Merenaese, Thranish, Sign
Accompanied By: Nari

Post subject: Re: For the People (D2, EM)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:26 am 

A few minuets later Bellena emerged from the compound with a question in her eyes.

"Good Morning Miya-sama." She said with a bow, not vocalizing her query just yet.

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:28 am 

"Good morning, Muhaki-san." he returned the bow. "My appologies for disturbing you so early."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:31 am 

She shook her head, "I was up all night anyway. I tend to work in the night hours mostly. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:34 am 

"I wanted to ask about your visit with the Merenaese." he switched languages fluidly. "How did it go?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:49 am 

"It went well... there were some problems at the dock that I helped fix. I was able to see and greet many of the people working there. They appeared to be making the most they could out of a difficult situation." She replied.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:53 am 

He nodded. "I had hoped that I would be able to improve that situation. Unfortunately, it's doubtful that I will be here to do so."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:03 am 

She nodded, "I hear you have fallen into a bit of trouble. I don't think you look or talk particularly loco. But my reluctance to accept the lie told in public will probably get me into trouble in this place more often than not."

She found a bench nearby and sat she patted the other side of the bench in an inviting manner, "So they are shipping you away for good I take it... What happens to the people here then?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:08 am 

He sat down. "Several will be on the voyage as well, but not all. I do not want to leave them without some assurance that they will be watched over compassionately."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:22 am 

She smiled softly in a forlorn manner and looked down to her hands, "I wish I could offer them the support they need. But your superiors have done an excellent job in ripping out the system of support we had in place... branch, trunk, and roots. They took what the Merenaese had depended on, destroyed it, and then stepped in as a 'savior' to rescue the Merenaese... from the Imperials themselves."

She looked over at the dog, "They use their puppets, the Mantis, to kill our Champion at sea and replace her with a fat, lazy, and inexplicably ambitious old man with delusions of grandeur. And now they rip away the one man who seemed to have actual concern for them and banish him just like Pavo. The Tortoise are the only ones who have any reason to care for these people for anything other than their labor. I wish our conditions here were good enough to provide for them in some way. Once our true Champion returns, perhaps something can be done."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:46 am 

"The governor of the city would likely have had them killed." he admitted. "He had no interest in their welfare when I aproached him. He agreed to allow me to take responsibility for them on behalf of the Navy and the explorers simply because he did not want to be bothered with their fate. I will try to ensure their continued safety, but the options for that are limited."

"Could you tell me what is happening within the Tortoise? I have only heard rumors."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:02 am 

She chuckled, "What is happening? Our holdings in the mainland are stripped from us and handed off to the conspirators in their plot because a group of ambitious men felt we had been too successful in our appointed mission. Our Champion and my people are made to look like the instigators of this power move and treated as you well know. And then somehow... on a clear day on a voyage through Mantis waters Lady Genjiko's boat and its crew end up dead and Lady Sadahako shortly after... This much you know,
even if your allegiances have prevented you from seeing what is truly taking place.
"

She looked up to the man, "As for what is taking place at sea... the same as it has always. We are fulfilling the mandate passed down to us from the time of Muhaki. Muhaki Saionji has been engaged in those duties and is far away from home... Hopefully with the news I bring, he will return promptly. But now your leaders have acquired the personal diary of Agasha Kasuga... and wish to reach their grasp of control out further into the ocean following his footsteps. They have staged this massive venture as another power play for a son who seeks to write himself into the fabric of history... no matter the cost. And we... the Tortoise will need to react in a way supportive of the Throne, as we always have... but it is most concerning for those of us with expertise in the world at large to look at this venture with anything but skepticism. That is what is taking place at sea... wariness of an inexperienced and overconfident group of children, ripping up years of hard work in the name of some power-play on the mainland."

Last edited by Muhaki Berena on Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:18 am 

"There is much you do not know either." he shook his head. "There is certainly ambition and political maneuvering at play. The rush towards progress is dangerous and reckless in many ways. You are right to question it. But, there is legitimate urgency. The way things have been will not continue. One way or another, the Empire is about to change. I cannot say that either course will be ideal, but one will be kinder to you and I than the other."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:22 am 

"What is this change you speak of? The contest between Jama and his brother?" She asked.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:38 am 

"The need to isolate ourselves entirely from the rest of the world, or embrace it." he answered. "Following the Battle of White Stag, the Throne initiated many things to prepare the Empire for further contact with foreigners. This is something that would take time to evolve properly and be accepted by the clans. Unfortunately, it was accelerated. Progress and tradition became opposing extremes that have divided Rokugan in many ways. Now, both ideals are represented by the two princes, without compromise. Whichever one ascends to the Throne, he will tolerate no opposition and eliminate any potential threat to his authority."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:41 am 

"And both will weaken the Empire beyond repair for it... Cut off their nose to spite their face. They have no idea the danger they put themselves in... it's comical really." She said with a shake of her head.

"What of this older sister you spoke of at the party? Who is she?" She asked, looking up.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:57 am 

"She is dangerous." he sighed. "Either of her brothers likely want her dead now. As bad as things could be under the reign of either prince, it would be far worse under her. She would be even more divisive, while having no understanding or appreciation of the way of the Empire. So, those are your choices. An Emperor who would ban any association with outsiders, eliminating the authority for any clan to do so. An Emperor who would force the Empire to encounter and learn from other cultures, for good or bad. Or, an Empress does not care about or for the Empire in any way."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:08 am 

Bellena tilted her head askew, "I don't like it when people tell me my choices; there are always more choices than what people think. Why support any of them? If all options are wrong... Would it not be better to detach yourself from those who would destroy the Empire over vain ambition? The way you speak is as if there is no other choice... no other path in front of you. I think you'll find there are paths out there on the sea that are more important and impactful than being the errand boy for foolish men who care nothing for you or the things you cherish."

She reached down to pet the dog, "But besides that... you still haven't answered my question... I didn't ask 'what' this woman is... I asked 'who'? Or is that not something you are willing to divulge?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:37 am 

"I am speaking of the choices of the Empire. It exists only with an Emperor. Without the Throne the clans would war with one another. Not squable and skirmish the way they do, they would wage war until only one clan was left."

"As for the woman, multiple promises and a desire not to bring about your death prevent me from telling you." he added. "You may think you understand things, the Tortoise, the princes, the voyage, but you really don't. Do you know why I had to wait out here for you?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:40 am 

She smirked, "Why would that be Senor Miya? Please enlighten me."

DescriptionTheme

Page 1 of 3 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next