Login FAQ  
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 3 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: For the People (D2, EM)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:57 am 

"A year ago, I modified a Mantis ship with Merenaese rigging. This was a breach of the agreement between the Tortoise and Hantei Jama-no-kimi and part of what ended the cooperative effort to build the fleet." he explained. "It's more complicated than that, of course. It was far from the only factor and I was very much not myself at the time. The designs I used were also developed before I worked with your shipwrights. But, the animosity towards me is understandable."

Carries: Wakizashi, Rapier, Tools
Speaks: Rokugani, Merenaese, Thranish, Sign
Accompanied By: Nari

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:09 am 

And so you feel responsible for the fallout? I assure you... you are not the root of that divide. Even if the Mantis and your master did not do the deed, they manipulated the situation in their favor and are ultimately the ones responsible for the breach of agreement. An honorable master who honors his word would have acted differently than yours. You have no control over their opportunistic thuggery.” She replied not fully understanding his intent in telling her.

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:02 am 

"I take no responsibility." he shook his head. "There was no breach. Nothing I did came from the Tortoise or truly jeopardized the arrangement. It was simply an excuse. As you say, there was much more to it, on every side. You make accusations against my 'master' as if you know who that is. You speak so proudly of the Tortoise not knowing their true purpose. You talk of conspiracy and collusion, but cannot see its full extent."

He studied her for a moment. "I do sound crazy, don't I? I assure you. Things are not what you think they are. And, you won't learn more here. The answers are out beyond the horizon."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:36 pm 

"It doesn't sound so much crazy as it does condescending. Think it through Senor Miya. I have been at sea since you were a small child. I am the person that the highest ranking members of my clan send, despite the obvious setbacks that confront me on the mainland. I have been raised by the close confidants of Hantei Muhaki and Agasha Kasuga since I was a little girl. I was the First Officer for Muhaki Saionji for nearly 10 years. Do you truly not think that I am aware of the 'true purpose' of the Tortoise as you call it? Do you not think that I know what lies out on the horizon after having spent my whole life out there? Do I seem like the type of woman who goes around spewing nonsense for the fun of it? I speak only of the truth. I am the first envoy from the 'horizon' that you will meet... I wouldn't dismiss me if I were you." She replied as she leaned her head downward and to the side, one eye looking suspiciously at the young man.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:39 pm 

"I am not dismissing you and you are not the first envoy from beyond the horizon that I have met Senorita Quijano." he shook his head. "Condescending would have been to simply dismiss anything you said and offer nothing in return. If you knew the true purpose of the Tortoise, you would understand why this voyage, as foolish as it may be, is necessary. But, you are convinced you know best and have allowed that confidence to obfuscate any other possibilities. You remind me of her."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:59 pm 

"Whoever this 'she' is, she does not have the same range of experiences that I do. She has not lived where I have, she has not studied where I have, and she has not been in the circles that I have. And yes, I am aware of the paranoia that besets the leaders of this voyage. And am aware that sometimes people's fears cause them to act rashly, allowing for exactly what they hope would not happen to occur... a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts. Perhaps the same paranoia that besets them will lead them to send people like you to try and find this 'she'... to silence that which would be burdensome to them... and perhaps that will evoke a response that they would not want." She replied politely.

"Immoral actions always have a consequence. That is the truth as understood by both your people's moral code and my own. It is difficult to take a step back and indict one's friends for their wrongdoings. I am critical of the foolishness of my own leaders just as I am of those I do not serve. Lacking the ability to reflect on one's deeds and right the wrongs they have done is a difficult task...
and far more often than not, people elect to continue down the slope that leads to their own destruction... that way is easy. The only way towards improvement is through acknowledging the wrong and rectifying the immoral action behind it... not doubling down on it. This voyage... is doubling down on bad policy, and it will come back to bite you if you aren't careful.
"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:23 pm 

"You have no idea what you are talking about." he shook his head. "There are truths in what you say, but they reflect a very limited view of the situation. You are accepting fragments as all you need to understand, the very same thing you accuse me of. Are you so unwilling to admit that you cannot know or understand everything that is happening? Is it so hard to believe that you may misunderstand the true depths of the situation?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:49 pm 

"Then explain it. Don't dance around in riddles. Say what you think to be the case. I have presented my understanding to some degree. All you have said is 'No' without giving any basis other than allusions to some type of overly generous view of the world that glosses over important details. If you wish to justify this course of action, you need to provide a clear vision for what it is you are after, or people will doubt you and your leader every step of the way. This isn't about 'progress' or 'exploration' Asahina Yajinden said those things are merely tools in his conversation with me last night... So please... tell me what all this is, if you truly understand it so clearly." She replied.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:36 pm 

"Did I say I saw it clearly? What I said is that there is more than you understand. That is a simple and obvious truth for all of us. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll see that some of what you've been told is not true, just as some of what I've been told is not true." He sighed. "I already told you. There is no choice. Decades ago, this Empire was set on a course of progress and acceptance, because it was the only way to give a place within it for people like you and I. It was a necessity that forced some of our strongest traditions to be changed or suppressed. It should not have been this way, but there is no way to change what has been done. Likely within a year, tradition will reassert itself and take every step to eliminate even the slightest of threats to its authority."

"That is what I know. Not because it is what I have been told, this is what I have seen and experienced. My existence has been tolerated only because the Throne allowed foreign contact and influences, and because the true nature of my condition could not be fully understood by the priests who were allowed to examine me. My name allowed me a comfortable life, but it did not shield me from suspicion and mistrust."

"I know some of my babbling sounds like nonsense, but there really are limits to what I can tell you, especially here. The Tortoise were tasked with protecting the future of the Empire. In spite of how things appear, I believe that's still true."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:52 pm 

"You are accusing me of being closed off to new information... that is not the case. As soon as you provide something new and pertinent, I will take it into account. That's who I am, that's the way my mind works. It shifts in its coagulation as new reference points are added. But one can only go off what is known... so if you don't make these things known... then there is nothing for me to consider. Do you see my conundrum? Merely doing nothing because the whole picture isn't in focus is a recipe for procrastination. One must try to gain as much information as they can, but if there is another party which is being recalcitrant about providing their insight... it cannot be considered." She replied.

"Not providing context. Not providing what you know.... makes it difficult to respond to your requests from before. Do I wish to help the people that you are leaving behind? Of course... they are mine. Much more than they are yours for a number of reasons... But not knowing what problems they face, their numbers, the nature of their enemies' designs, what your superiors' plans are for them... I can't step in and say 'We can do this for them'. If their very existence is in danger in the coming year, then why would you have them stay? Should I not send word to Merenae to find means to get these people off of the mainland?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:23 am 

"Do so." he nodded. "I want them to be safe and I do not believe they will be here. Only the means to return home have prevented them from doing so."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:05 am 

She made a ‘tsk’ sound with her mouth, “You are really quite irresponsible... I’ll need the specific information about numbers and timeframes... The Tortoise will have to do a bulk of the work...

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:20 am 

"I am trying to do what I can." he shrugged. "The Tortoise are the only ones who could do this, regardless. Only so many will be able to come on the voyage. This is also a chance to reclaim what they had to leave behind."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:45 am 

"'Reclaim'... more like retreat with the people and abandon our aims. To their current protectors these 'assets' have provided what the Imperials wanted and now can be dispensed of..." She looked disappointed.

"I love these people and would not see them suffer if I can avoid it. The disrespect for human life evidenced in these forces you speak of is appalling... These people deserve much better than they received..." She replied with a slight shake of her head.

"Nonetheless, I thank you for your concern... Get me as much info as you can before we leave... I'll see what I can set up."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:06 am 

"You speak of how I've used them and mistreated them, and then thank me for my concern?" he asked with some annoyance. "Have they been treated so much worse in the past year than they were under the Tortoise? I asked you to inform me of any problems. What abuses need to be addressed? What claims do the Tortoise have in an Imperial city?"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:33 am 

"I don't recall saying you did this to them... Unless you wish to take responsibility for the machinations that ousted the Tortoise... which from your explanation earlier you seem to suggest wasn't your intent." She replied.

"The ones who have mistreated them are those who killed and chased off their protectors, then in the absence of those protectors stepped in and forced them to build a fleet to accomplish their own aims. While these men were paid for this work... there was no true option to ever say 'no'. They couldn't leave, they couldn't ask for better conditions, they couldn't get paid what they would elsewhere... If they acted in a way deemed to be inappropriate, they could be killed without any sort of legal adjudication. They were in a sense enslaved to build this fleet. They merely did what they had to in order to survive. And now that the fleet is complete, the 'protection' offered to them by your superiors is crumbling even before we set out on our journey. Jama has no concern for these people... they are slaves to him; 'assets' to be spent and exhausted for his aims." She looked over to the sea.

Her features had not been one of antagonism, but they softened further as she continued, "I have relayed to you in the past and now that I respect you for the compassion you have shown to them; from what I saw you have people who have relied on you to protect them and you haven't disappointed. I know I may seem troublesome... overly opinionated... but I don't mince words when life is at stake. I don't believe that the men who you present as the only paths forward for the Empire are truly the best paths... I see the way they treat life. I see the way they consider themselves to be better than others based on faulty conceptions of rulership. I see the absence of goodness in their deeds. And I am filled with nothing but dread and remorse for those who think this is all there is. There are better men out there on the sea. I hope you get to meet some of them in the coming days..."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:56 am 

"I pay them what the Tortoise paid them, unless Pavo misled me. They do the same work they did under the Tortoise, maintaining and crewing ships and providing goods and services to one another in port. He looked towards the harbor. Those ships were not wholly constructed in the past year. It has taken significantly longer than that. Many Merenaese worked on them, under my direct supervision and, prior to that, under Tortoise supervision. I've seen how Tortoise treat their laborers. It isn't always as fairly as you suggest."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:14 am 

"They always had ways of leaving... always had options before them... But by chasing off the Tortoise, burning down those connections... cutting them from their homes... your leaders changed the dynamic; they had no other options and a lack of options is a lack of freedom. Choosing between working and death is not a real option; it is slavery. If you don't think so... there's nothing I can do to convince you of that fact." She replied.

"There are people within the Tortoise who are honorless slavers and taskmasters as well... that much is true. But no matter what color they wear... no matter what walk of life they are born into... I don't have it in me to accept wrong deeds as the proper way. Evil is evil. No matter who or what you are; Tortoise, Imperial, Merenaese, or Yodotai... And to rob the most defenseless people of their freedom... and then refuse to protect them in their time of need, that to me is an indication of someone who does not deserve power over people. Even if not much changed in the day to day running of things as you suggest... things are certainly different now aren't they? If the Tortoise had remained in control... we wouldn't be talking about this. It is a foregone conclusion that we would have taken care of our own were they to be in danger. And even when they are no longer our responsibility we will do what we can to help them... perhaps you can see the difference there in actual deeds rather than just words?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:39 am 

"Why did they serve the Tortoise? What did they have under their care that they haven't had under mine? The option to return home? Then why have they been here for so many years? They were treated the same by the Tortoise as they have been by me." he shrugged.

"Regardless, they are free to return to the Tortoise. They always have been. They aren't captive. They feared what the governor might do to them out of his hatred of the Tortoise. But, I and the naval college became their protectors and, as long as the colege remains, that won't change. My fear, is that the validity of the college is dependant on the voyage. If it goes poorly, they may be endangered again. But, there is time to transport them, if the Tortoise wish."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:05 pm 

I cannot help if you cannot see. They served the Tortoise and stayed here for opportunity. Slavery or death was not the opportunity they were here for. The fear for their life that you speak of was not present under Tortoise control, and seriously changes the dynamic of their service. That isn’t something you can acknowledge? But more importantly your speech is much too convoluted. I really don’t know what to think about what you say. Are these people in danger, or not? You are the one asking us to do this... The Tortoise aren’t the ones approaching the Imperials to take their ‘assets’ away. This has nothing to do with our volition. It has to do with what you think to be the likely outcome. We will act from there.

DescriptionTheme

Page 2 of 3 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next