Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 4 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: U and I? (D2, LE, Party Aside)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:34 pm 

"Yet I hear tell of Scorpion loyalty."

He didn't raise his voice.

Description :: Theme :: Strife

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:35 pm 

"To the Clan," she corrected, continuing to smile. However, her jovial attitude soon faded away. "Do you think I would tell you about this if I seriously considered it?"

General Theme | Stargazing Theme | Battle Theme

Typically Carries: Robes, Mask, Fan, Wakizashi, Knife, Scroll Satchel, Divination Kit, Paper Wards

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:41 pm 

He laughed. "Would you? You are still a mystery to me, Akarei-san. One I am trying very hard to decipher. "

Stretching, he glanced out at the larger party.

"For what it is worth, you will be Sparrow in time, and we are loyal to our own, in a way even the Scorpion would respect."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:44 pm 

"That is the point of the mask," she jested. She set the cup down for the time being; it was not her intention to become too inebriated off of the substance. "My enemies do not lie among the Clans, unless my lord demands it. My only constant enemy is the Ninth."

Typically Carries: Robes, Mask, Fan, Wakizashi, Knife, Scroll Satchel, Divination Kit, Paper Wards

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:56 pm 

Rokuro examined her in silence, and then nodded. "He is the enemy of us all."

Picking up his cup, he refilled it in silence. He seemed totally unaffected. "Is your hair naturally that shade? Or is that also part of the mask?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:59 pm 

The priestess smirked. "Everyone always asks about my hair." She let out a sigh. "I consider it a gift from my mother."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:03 pm 

Rokuro nodded, and then said, softly. "It's beautiful, like the setting sun."

Rising, he paced away a few steps, and then turned halfway. "I'm glad you don't try to hide it."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:16 pm 

His compliment was met with a small smirk. It was something she had heard before though it somehow meant more from him than others. "Why would I hide that which distinguishes me from others?"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:38 am 

"Why indeed..."

He nodded, and then glanced out over the water, the sea of lamps.

"Many are afraid to stand out; afraid to face scrutiny, I suppose."

Taking a slow breath he turned back toward her, resting his left hand on the tsuba of his katana and gesturing idly with his right. "Do you have any questions for me? I've asked many, it is only fair."

Even if you've remained a closed book in so many ways...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:48 am 

"That is not the samurai way," she stated, "Ours is without fear, ours is for glory."

Akarei peered at him from behind her mask. She glanced at his blade and then back to him. "What does it mean to be a Sparrow? I cannot claim to have had much experience with your Clan."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:06 am 

That brought a nod.

"It is... both very simple, and very complicated."

He scratched his chin, thinking about the question, and then began, "Just as the Scorpion have a simple duty-to be the villain, they do not sink into true wickedness. After all, they are still servants of the Emperor, still a part of the order of things. So too is the Sparrow duty simple in form, yet difficult in practice."

Gesturing with his right hand, he indicated the sea, the city, the grandiosity of it all. "We are guardians of an Imperial treasure. The Emperor's land. We defend the Golden Sun Plains against all intrusion. They put even this display to shame... and we ensure they continue to do so for generations to come. In order to do that, we dwell upon rugged land, and until recently, had to survive with very little. Even now, what we do, we do in service of our duty. We gain strength in order that whenever the Emperor calls, we will be ready to defend whatever he places in our charge."

Crossing his arms, he added, thoughtfully, "In a sense, the Sparrow way is patience... readiness to answer when called. We learned to practice humility and simplicity, so none would know our strength or feel compelled to test it; and in turn, the fields are preserved from all trespass."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:53 am 

"I suppose there are ways to increase income," the woman remarked, "the Scorpion enjoy such tactics as well." If perceptive enough, her blink would not go unnoticed. She patted her meager coin purse and smirked at him. "However, I only have a vague familiarity with commerce. I am simply able to connect the numbers well enough."

Akarei's lips turned to a broader grin. "Is that why you endure my jabs at you? I am not unaware of my own insults." She then let out a wistful sigh. "I was able to get under your skin though."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:58 am 

"To be Sparrow is to endure without complaint..." He kept his expression bland, wondering just what angle her latest jab had been hinting at, and not wanting to pursue it further.

"After what the Crane did to us, only because they could, words hurt a great deal less." Looking slightly abashed, he managed, "And yes, you did. I confess none of us have infinite patience, no matter how we cultivate it."

Raising an eyebrow, he added, "I'm curious why it mattered to you so much, though." He thought he could guess, but he wanted to hear it in her own words.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:07 am 

The priestess shrugged. "I could easily say, 'Because I could,' just like the Crane, but I see no reason to insult you this time." She grabbed the cup once more and took another sip. "This is something I can enjoy." She looked at him a bit sheepishly. "The Tansaku are not renown for their wealth."

She let out a harsh sigh and looked straight at him. "But I suppose a wife ought to get used to not dodging the question with her husband. I need to see your resolve, know your limits."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:13 am 

Rokuro was patient through her answers, waiting until she had finished, and then he simply nodded. "I see. We had no wealth in the past, and may someday again know poverty; learning to accept our circumstance was one of our first lessons."

Stepping closer, he gently set down his cup, and stated, simply, "I accepted this match when it was declared. From that moment I decided I would trust you, try to learn to work with, and if I can, love you. If I am to marry, to share my bed and my home, to hold someone close to me, I owe them that; I owe them my trust. While we are not yet married, I intend to begin learning now; after all, no castle is built overnight."

With a faint smile, he added "I don't intend to give up just because of a little resentment. You'll find another thing about we Sparrow, we're bloody-minded stubborn."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:50 pm 

"I could not say the same about all Scorpion. But who else to know struggle but the most reviled family in the Empire?" She was, of course, neglecting to consider the peasant's plights.

Akarei smirked. "What an optimistic view of marriage. It's a shame you had to be arranged to me then." She took another sip from her cup and gave him a soft shrug. "But that does not mean I am intent on dooming our marriage to failure. On the contrary, I want our journey to be a resounding success. I am simply warning you about your expectations revolving me."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:56 pm 

He reclaimed his seat, raising an eyebrow. "Why?" It wasn't a petulant or whining question, rather one of almost dry curiosity.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:57 pm 

The redhead shrugged. "Have I not already presented the reasons why? I am not a doting Doji. I am a Yogo."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:58 pm 

"And? How does that stop me from choosing to trust, rely upon, and hopefully, in time, learn to love you?"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:01 pm 

"Because it's difficult if it is not reciprocated, no?" She finished the rest of her cup and set it down out of frustration. "Pushy..."

Page 2 of 4 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next