Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 3 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: A Meeting With Ken-zoo (D2, LA, Zoo)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:35 am 

"Ah, I met with Utsusemi-sama. If she is amicable I'd be welcome... I don't know what type of impression I left... hard to tell how accepting people are of 'gaijin' since everyone is so polite in public."

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:23 am 

"Oh, you did!" Kenzo brightened. "Hmmm. Well." He nods. "It's true, Utsusemi-sama is a very poised and cultured woman. She can be difficult to read. But she's also very kind, and she will be going on this voyage." He gave her a nod. "I don't think she''ll have any problem with you."

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:35 am 

She nodded, "Well then speak to her. Get her feedback and let me know sometime this evening or tomorrow..."

She smiled as she looked into the next cage, "And what are these Mirumoto-san? I don't think I've ever seen this animal before."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:41 pm 

Kenzo nodded. "I will. Thank you, Muhaki-san." His lips quirked. "Or perhaps I should get used to calling you Muhaki-sama, as I understand ship's etiquette."

At her question, Kenzo turned, his expression shifting, eyebrows going up as he looked into the cage. The creature appeared to be some sort of goat, but more squat, and much more muscular.

He grinned. "Ah! What a coincidence! I was speaking about spending time with goats... this particular species is found in the mountains around Dragon lands. There are significant outward differences visually, like the increase musculature and the layers of fat, but the inward physiology all are similar to lowland goats."

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:19 pm 

"What are they called?" She asked.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:47 pm 

"They have several common names. Mostly, we just call them mountain goats, although that's rather non-specific. It's more properly known as serow." He leaned closer to the cage. "Hello there." He said to the serow. It ignored him.

Kenzo leaned back. "Have you seen a giraffe before?"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:07 pm 

She nodded, "There are zoos in Medinaat al-Salaam with them. It is close to where they actually live."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:28 am 

Kenzo's eyebrows went up once more. "Really? How fascinating." Nevertheless, he began to lead them towards the now-familiar enclosure that held the giraffe.

He glanced at her as they walked. "Can I ask how you came to study there?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:42 am 

She smiled in a bit of a contemplative manner, "I guess I can tell one person... soon enough we'll be on the sea anyway..."

She looked up at the giraffe, "I think it's fairly obvious I'm a 'gaijin' as you would say... I don't like dwelling on the fact when there are hordes of people here on the mainland just looking for a reason to kill someone like me."

She looked over to him, "You don't seem the type to want to kill me from being from Merenae though... so I guess it's okay for you to know."

She leaned forward onto the railing, "My father was the Lord of one of the twelve ruling families of Merenae. The equivalent perhaps to a Great Clan Champion here on the mainland. When I was a young girl he decided he wished for a member of our family to go and study abroad, to help keep our family's eyes open to the future. So... when I was seven, I was entrusted to the Tortoise... to a man named Agasha Buntaro. Who cared for me as a kind of second father as I studied in Medinaat al-Salaam."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:17 am 

Kenzo, too, began by looking up at the giraffe, his gaze as interested as always in the fascinating animal. As Berena spoke, though, he turned to look at her as she spoke.

"Yes." Kenzo nodded, his expression serious. "And no. I assure you, the question wouldn't even cross my mind."

He continued listening, his eyes still on her even as she leaned. "Goodness." Kenzo murmured as she finished. "I asked earlier about the trajectory of your life. I had no idea it would be such a fascinating one." He rubbed thoughtfully at his chin. "I didn't realize that such a thing was possible, even for the Tortoise."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:26 pm 

She nodded, “The limits of our world are only restricted by the depth of our imagination. Much that we perceive to be real, is just a speck of what is actually there.”

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:17 pm 

Kenzo raised his eyebrows. "Fascinating. And an idea that I think my Togashi cousins would very much agree with." He looked thoughtful. "And myself, come to think of it."

He smiled, bowing. "Well then, you're right. I amend my earlier statement. Ummm... are you going to return to Merenae someday, then?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:19 pm 

"Perhaps." She replied. "If some other arrangement doesn't materialize, I'll probably end up back at home helping to raise my brother's children. Act as a tutor and matriarch to my people in my elder years."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:58 pm 

"Hmmm." Kenzo's head tilted to the side, curious. "Is that normal for one of your status? As I gather that you are a woman of some importance in your homeland." His expression turned more thoughtful. "Hmmm. I suppose it's rather like a musha shugyo here, in some ways."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:06 pm 

"It depends really. We don't tend to go into retirement into a temple... So you pretty much just keep working and contributing to the family until you are dead. I don't have any children, and ostensibly I have been out here to gain knowledge for the benefit of my people back home... So it'd be natural for me to return one day and help teach the next generation from my experience." She replied.

"But I am somewhat of an outlier... not many noble children are shipped off and trained as Rokugani. Most are trained in one of our universities and rise to prominence in their homeland. My father desired a bit more cosmopolitan experience for me... considering our lands are not connected for large stretches to the ocean networks of some other families. But also didn't want me to be a hostage in some other noble's court."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:21 pm 

Kenzo listened, interested. "I see. Very interesting." Kenzo gave her a smile. "It rather sounds as though you're something of an experiment. Or... a pioneer, perhaps." He sounded admiring.

"Do you think that others will come to follow your example?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:28 pm 

She tilted her head, "I'm not sure. Most people are perfectly fine just with trading with the Empire through the Tortoise. In fact, the acquisition of my protectorship and title was largely due to an economic agreement between my father and the Tortoise. That fact would probably offend a great many of the more traditional members of your society; those who have the opinion that I lack a soul. So I don't know how widely acceptable my case would be without significant change here in Rokugan."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:38 pm 

"Hmm." Kenzo rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "From someone who is mostly looking in from the outside, do you think significant change is likely? We've changed so much already, just in the last few years."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:41 pm 

"Most political change is heavily dependent on those at the top... I can't say I have the greatest confidence in those who could potentially be put in charge of the Empire in the near future... But one never knows how things may change. We live in tumultuous times." She replied.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:36 am 

"Yes." Kenzo said dryly. "For better or for worse. I'm not sure whether to be grateful for the exciting opportunities that these times have provided, or cross that they haven't settled down to let me perform my studies in peace."

"Or perhaps both?" He raised his eyebrows, smiling at Berena. "What do you think, Muhaki-san?"

Page 2 of 3 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next