Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Summoned by a Prince (D8 LA Closed)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:45 pm 

Suihime shook her head. She had expected such a question "Not at all, My Lord. Far from it. The Imperial Explorers need to be reminded of who they are, of what they serve. They need more encouragement to serve together, to work together. Infighting, petty bickering, inability or refusals to work together...these should not be coming from those who have been given the honour of being chosen by yourself My Lord.. It implies that such actions are acceptable, which they cannot be. It is unbecoming of honourable samurai."

She lowered her head.

"This is just my humble opinion though My Lord. If you have witnessed differently, then please accept my deepest apologies in the matter. I believe in the Imperial Explorers, and everything they stand for, and I know they can succeed under the guidance of you My Lord. "

Imperial * Captain of the Ashitae Maru * Courtier *Imperial Explorer * Herald * Jama's Retainer * Bookworm * Jinn-Touched * Prolific Pundit on Gaijin Affairs * Gaijin-curious * Princess of the Imperial Navy * Profile
Status: 4.0 | Glory 7.8 | Honour/Faith Exceptional | Reputation 1.3

Languages: Rokugani, Mekhem, Yobanjin, Merenaese, ???

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:57 pm 

"I will impart a lesson, Miya-san. Know your subordinates not only for their virtues but also for their flaws, and learn to manage both for the purpose you are the sole true guardian of. This way less will surprise you and you will be ahead of the bickering, infighting and other pettiness. Men and women can be turned loyal and effective if their vices are known and accounted for. Had I not expected the place to exacerbate negative tendencies I would be a poor leader. Now, take your time to contemplate my decisions from this perspective and ask yourself whether our goals are not being accomplished still."

"The great questions of the day will not be decided by courtly discussions or pious prayers to the Heavens, but by blood and iron."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:14 pm 

Suihime fell silent at this. Her head was pounding from a million thoughts, and now she needed to think on Jamas words?

He is correct. I know this...but why? The idea of hiring people to captain ships that would openly attack each other didn't make sense to her at all. Except...they were men of ambition. And if you can shape their ambition...

"...I see" she said quietly, opening her eyes. "almost like...competition. I hadn't considered it quite like that."

Imperial * Captain of the Ashitae Maru * Courtier *Imperial Explorer * Herald * Jama's Retainer * Bookworm * Jinn-Touched * Prolific Pundit on Gaijin Affairs * Gaijin-curious * Princess of the Imperial Navy * Profile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:35 am 

"And your tendency to seek high standards when they reasonably cannot be accomplished is a part of it. For the outcomes, combining directions of personal drives may lead to where none of you has been heading individually. This is the logic of unintended consequences. Try to master that logic, Miya-san." Jama added impassively.

"The great questions of the day will not be decided by courtly discussions or pious prayers to the Heavens, but by blood and iron."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:47 am 

Suihime held back a frown. She had never in her life doubted Jama; he was a shining prince, a perfect example of the greatness that is the Hantei. But hearing his words brought the tiniest slither of doubt to her mind.

He picked people who could not strive for the best?

"I shall try, My Lord" she said though, keeping her head down.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:49 am 

"The high standards you seek can only be accomplished among the Imperial Families. As your mother has undoubtedly taught you, the Clans will always carry their deficiencies the Throne needs to manage carefully. To give them too much credit and opportunity is to invite a new Gozoku, something my Divine Father recognised at the beginning of His reign and quelled before it would bud. True excellence and vision reside solely in the blood of Hantei."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:30 pm 

"Of course" Suihime nodded "although one would expect the same level for those who marry into the Imperial Families, ne?"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:13 pm 

"The Crane seem to be believing in it strongly by offering us only those who can emulate the conduct of the Imperial House." Jama remarked. "I wonder if you would feel more purposeful with a Crane husband, Miya-san."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:43 pm 

"More purposeful, My Lord?" Suihime asked, curious what he was referring to

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:55 am 

"Your doubts make me wonder if you think that your destiny by my side is not as it should be."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:33 am 

Suihime was lucky that she was still facing downwards, as she couldn't hide the frown that peered through briefly. "I'm...surprised that you would even consider that, My Lord. I have shown you no doubts at all in your skills, nor in this mission, nor in you."

And more than a little insulted she thought to herself.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:02 pm 

"I was referring to your doubts about yourself you expressed earlier. I expect those to be fully overcome. There is no doubt in my mind that you shall follow my guidance in all that it is to unfold. I will retain my confidence in you thus, and will give ear to your earlier assessments and remarks."

He paused.

"If Matsu-san can satisfy his honour against the Yogo he will be restored to the position of your first officer. It appears to me you understand the conundrum related to Lion presence on this expedition, but I remain convinced that difficulties are better alleviated by inclusion, not exclusion of the Right Hand, especially that Matsu-san enjoys the kind attention of the Akodo heiress. He may be most disgruntled after his experience in the East Port, and you seem to be uniquely suited and positioned to help him find a centre between his Honour and his Duty to the Explorers."

He paused.

"I have received news that the spiritual troubles with Yamato Maru are over, but the vessel is heavily damaged. While the Jade Office redeemed itself by this act in my eyes I cannot say the same about her commanding staff. However, the resourcefulness and dedication of your brother has endeared us. His past mishaps notwithstanding, we consider it justified to award him the captaincy of the vessel if he can restore it. This should rectify the issue of her inefficacious use in the past."

Another pause.

"Seppun Kaiya-san shall be appointed to the flagship as her responsibilities by my side shall grow. At the same time, Asahina-san is in the process of resolving the issue of ill-cautioned behaviour of Gusai-san. This is connected with the issue of the Teppodoka who has so far been handled unsatisfactorily. I expect from the newest vassal of your betrothed to make quick amends and secure a base for them on the island. If he fails to do so, I will lose my patience and remove him from the position."

A pause.

"The vagaries of Muhaki Berena are known to me, but the benefits of keeping her close so far outweigh the costs of challenging her insincerities. It is my belief that for an outer gaijin to become an inner one it takes time, patience and benevolence. We cannot extend the reach of our Empire by discarding ways to bring those we will need to retain our presence in new lands into our fold. The utmost dedication of Kitsu-san to the Explorers makes Kunshu Maru a good place to keep her at. It holds true for Muhaki Zabieru as well, and it is the reason I have assigned him directly under me. The noble families of Merenae they represent shall be key in executing Imperial policies in that country."

He leaned to the side slightly.

"About the issue of coordination, I plan to utilise the diplomatic members of the Explorers to establish communication channels. I shall name Seppun Hinami-san of your crew as the Imperial Superintendent for the island, a position commensurate with her experience in the Imperial bureaucracy, and extend institutionalised contact to both communities of the East Port. This is to ensure that once we depart from Kameyama, we shall leave a presence that will serve us in further maritime endeavours."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:55 am 

In one speech, Suihimes doubts had dissolved. He had listened to her, taken her advice on board, just taken his time to respond. Mulling it over while continuing a conversation.

Hantei-denka is amazing....

She felt bad for her doubts now, and bowed deeper.

"You honour me, My Lord. Thank you. I shall ensure that Seppun Hinami-san and Gusai Wataru-san will receive any assistance they need, perhaps moreso in the case of Seppun-san as I have already spoken with the governor and gained a rapport with the man, small though it may be."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:20 am 

He nodded.

"There has come a time for me to put greater confidence in you, Miya-san. To invest you with greater responisibilty and independence. Against the challenges we are facing, you must demonstrate flawless judgement and strategic conduct in order to assume the role under Heavens commensurate with your birthright. Hence I present you with a choice. Do you continue east and take vital part in shaping salient Imperial policies in gaijin lands, or do you return to Rokugan with me to assist me in delivering the Empire from its increasing volatility?"

Page 2 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2