Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: A Whole New World? (D8, EN)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:16 am 

Feeling that her art was not advancing lately, and she had discarded several poems in her attempt to compose something worthy of the new Fortune, Utsusemi had turned her attention elsewhere. She needed space, time to think, new sights and impressions. New challenges.

Art was a reflection of the artist's inner being... so how could she manage to create something worthy when her own inner self was in a constant flux. Kenzo brought her joy, but it was so quickly gone when she did not have his presence, and even with him, she often felt like a burden at how he would always have to comfort her or cheer her up.

Finding a bench by the turtle pond, she tried a few notes on her flute, but the notes were jarring to her senses and she quickly stopped, leaving her looking out at the moonlit pond in thoughtless contemplation.

---

D8 EN Perform: Flute/Agi. +1k1 Void. 2 raises. TN 25: 5d10o10k4 19 lol, thanks Orokos.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

Post subject: Re: A Whole New World? (D8, EN)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:16 am 

Anzai was having a restless night. His mind racing with the events of the day. Rising from his bed, he dresses in his casual kimono. Stretching, he left his rented room, and began to stroll through the gardens.

As he walked, he heard the sound of a flute. While he did not have skill or talent, he could appreciate someone practicing, mistakes and all.

He moved towards the sound, and then it stopped. He contemplated turning back, but he saw the figure deep in contemplation. Moving quietly, as if trained in stealth, he slowly approached.

"Agasha-sama. Excuse my interruption. I heard you practicing." He stopped a few meters from her, watching her clpsely. "... It's good to see you, again."

Honor: Honorless Dog, Status: 2, Glory: 5.8 - Reputation: 5.2 - Benten's Blessing - Dangerous Beauty - Lechery - Evil Eye - Unlucky 1 - Language (Merenae, Mekhem) - Darling of the Court (West Port) - Courtier - Scorpion - "The Rose Whisperer"
Carries on person: Wakizashi, Tanto, Gaijin clothing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:23 am 

It was hardly no surprise that the Agasha was finely dressed as she almost always seemed to be, her pale kimono depicting colourful maple leaves, which would have been quite in season back home in Rokugan. The golden colour of the obi cut a contrast to the kimono that almost seemed to blend with the colour of her hair that shone with silver in the moonlight.

She smiled slightly, a little flustered that he had heard those sour notes. "Shosuro-san," she bowed slightly from her seat on the bench. "It's no interruption, as the spirit of the art seems to be eluding me today."

Utsusemi made a small gesture for him to join her. "It's good to see you as well. I trust you have recovered completely in the past days?"

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:07 am 

"Hai, I have." She'd probably also noticed his face seemed more angular, as if the time on the island has treated him very well. A certain more... strength seemed to course through his frame. Probably the way his kimono was worn.

He accepted the gesture, taking a seat near her. "It is a lovely place to practice. The gardens remind me of home. It's why I sought out a room here."

Honor: Honorless Dog, Status: 2, Glory: 5.8 - Reputation: 5.2 - Benten's Blessing - Dangerous Beauty - Lechery - Evil Eye - Unlucky 1 - Language (Merenae, Mekhem) - Darling of the Court (West Port) - Courtier - Scorpion - "The Rose Whisperer"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:16 am 

"Ah, is that so?" Utsusemi said with some surprise. "We are almost neighbours then..."

Her gaze turned back out to the moonlit garden for a few moments, before looking back to him. The night seemed to bring out the blue in her eyes more. "Their gardens are so different from the ones at home, but I cannot deny that it has its own beauty. I think I like this one better after sundown though, even if it is quite lovely during the day."

She took more notice now of how much healthier he seemed to have become since she last saw him. Island life certainly seemed to agree with him. Something she was in a similar situation with... the perfect porcelain skin of a Doji had been impossible to maintain completely when surrounded by sea and sun, and in the end it had given her skin a healthy glow, even if most of that was drowned out in the moonlight.

"Are you a student of the arts, Shosuro-san?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:09 am 

"Outside of my calligraphy, I must confess I am not. While I appreciate them, I have not studied them myself." He spoke softly, with a certain level of candor that can only be expressed in private moments such as these. He did catch how her eyes seemed much more vibrant in the dark sky. The softest of illumination from the stars above. He pushed his hair back from his face, offering Utsusemi a small smile.

"It is not a long walk to your abode. No further than some of my neighbors back home. But that is a different set of circumstances entirely." A slight chuckle as the Scorpion seemed to relax a bit around the Dragon.

"What would you recommend for me to begin my studies on such a thing?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:57 am 

She gave him a slightly puzzled look before it was back to normal.

"Hm, depends. If you enjoy the brushwork of calligraphy, then painting can be the next step - but if it is the words that matter more; poetry. If you like to work with your hands there is sculpting or ikebana," Utsusemi gave a wry smile. "Or do you prefer the more physically demanding arts such as dance and music?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:14 pm 

He'd match her own wry smile with one of his own. "Dancing is something I've enjoyed watching, but never participated. Have you seen some of the dances the Merenae have perforned? A bit ribald, but the elrgance and grace is undeniable." He laughed slightly, then turned somber.

Even with his new found pleasant company, the thought of poetry made him think of Otsuka. "Poetry has a special place for me. The flow, the meter of it all. I should dedicate myself to it more than just idle hobby."

After all, Samurai is a cultured existence, a paragon for all, even one such as he.

"Have you ever been to a Shosuro Theater?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:15 pm 

There seemed to be some colour trying to establish itself on her face as he spoke of the local dances. "Mm," she nodded, "I've had the opportunity to observe one of them. Rather different than Rokugani dances, as they seem more about the companionship with the dance partner, than the meaning of the steps as it would traditionally be for us. But it has its beauty."

At least him choosing her favoured art earned him a nod of approval. "Someone's skill at poetry can say much about their imagination and wit," Utsu smirked.

"... I have, actually, but it's been quite some years ago now. When my sister married into the Shosuro, I had the chance."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:46 pm 

"I like to think I have a rather active imagination. And as for my wit..." He offered her a smirk in return. He was sure she had thoughts about his wordplay from their previous conversations. "... I believe in practicing that as often as needed to be ready for Court. It simply wouldn't due to not be able to keep up with everyone."

"I hope you enjoyed the opportunity to see it. When we return home, I encourage you to visit the Scorpion lands again, and see it. I would be more than happy to secure an invitation for you, and your husband, of course." He nodded, before looking out to the pond, the way the moonlight was reflected in the rippling water.

"... I met someone, Agasha-sama. It doesn't hurt like it did, after the storm."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:02 pm 

"Thank you, it would be most kind." Thinking of returning to the Empire brought to mind the talk of advancing the expedition further. Somehow, it wouldn't surprise her if this Scorpion, who had so quickly taken to these foreign waters, would swim onward. "It was quite the experience. The Kakita Academy have many talented actors, but the Shosuro cultivate the artform in such a profound way."

Utsusemi breathed in deeply. "Oh? ... someone local, then?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:10 pm 

"My sister, Hayumi. She was an actress of the Shosuro School, before she married Daidoji Tetsuo. In her last letter, she spoke of joining a travelling Kakita troupe. My understanding was they were using a hybrid between the two styles. Seemed like it was doing very well."

Then, her very question. He didn't say anything for a moment, then nodded, a smile upon his lips. "Hai. One of the Unicorn. I met her one night while I was looking out at the sea. Nothing scandalous, I assure you, but she is very compassionate. And quite excellent at the Tea Ceremony. The style of the Unicorn Tea Service is something you must see, if you have not, yet." He had no issue discussing this with Utsusemi. After all, she is the Imperial Chaperone. It falls beneath her purview.

"How should I proceed, Agasha-sama? You said it yourself, Otsuka-san would not want me to dwell on the loss, but to continue with my duty. I recognize that I must mourn, properly. But seeing Ide-san..." He paused, realizing he was going on as a school boy. "... I apologize, I know it must be quite forward. I would like your advice on the matter."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:24 pm 

I wonder if it's anything liker the Mirumoto Tea Ceremony... no, no... ugh, now I got naked Anzai in my mind... damnit...

Her brows knitted together as she considered his confession.

"I would advise you to be careful, Shosuro-san, and not let yourself become hurt in all this... physically, as well as emotionally. There is still much we do not know about the Unicorn and the Tarkhanate, and we would wish to avoid potential insult that could lead to them seeking satisfaction... they have picked up many strange customs and traditions that we do not have, after all, and it is easy to misstep." There was no judgement in her tone, but rather calm counsel.

"Secondly, they are still not recognised or confirmed as the children of Shinjo by the throne. If it would come to be that they would not be, there could be no hope for a legitimate union between you and the lady Unicorn. For all eyes, it would seem as if you were lured or seduced away by a gaijin... which I believe was the Matchmaker's intention when she made her matches, as rushed as they were."

Utsusemi did disagree with the way many of these matches had been arranged, and she allowed herself this moment to express it briefly. She understood the intention, but in her eyes it made a mockery of the delicate situation of binding two families together.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:37 pm 

Rushed as they were. I at least had secured my desires for that... and the storm did not care.... "Hai, Agasha-sama. It is apparent why you were chosen for this position. Your counsel, as always, is appreciated." He continued to speak softly. He was almost surprised by her first concern over his well being. Was that merely maternal instinct, or had they actually become close?

He assumed the former. He would enjoy the latter.

"I understand. And I believe she would understand, as well, if it were to pass. Despite what many have seen, I am certain, as my taking to these foreign customs, I am a Scorpion. Duty is paramount. To marry out of love is something so very few of us have an opportunity to. It isn't about our individual needs or wants, but what is best for our Families. Allow me to reassure you." He looked to her eyes. "I do not shirk from Duty." An intensity in his words, before returning to his thoughts.

"Is it not our place as diplomats, to wade through the strange customs and traditions, to find that common ground and bring about that understanding, through this expedition? The world is expanding..."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:48 pm 

"I am not saying it is not our duty as diplomats," she nodded slightly, "but one should be cautious of whom they affiliate too much with, and make friends with. Men in recent history have been executed for such mistakes before, I would hate to see the same happen to such a promising young man of the Scorpion."

If it was materal instinct or fondness for him, it was hard to tell. She was a woman who played her cards pretty close to the chest, after all.

"The Prince is interested to learn more about the Unicorn and the Tarkhanate. Even if any potential future with your young lady is mere speculation at this point, there is still much you can learn from her... and she from you too. If it is confirmed that they truly are the children of Shinjo, then they too must learn our ways - they have been gone for a long time, and much in the Empire has become the way it is while they have been gone."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:05 pm 

"I will be mindful, Agasha-sama. I would not wish for you to have to attend my funeral should anything untoward happen." He didn't laugh, but it was clear he was attempting to bring some levity to such a serious topic. He didn't want to cause her too much worry.

"I will do what I can to learn as much about them, especially if those are the wishes of the Imperial Prince and Admiral. To seek out that knowledge, and expand what our Empire knows, as a whole. For the benefit of all, of course."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:09 pm 

"I have faith in your skill and manners to act according to Bushido and to Hantei-no-kimi's wishes," she nodded once more. Though a part of her hoped he wouldn't put too much of that scorpion-sting to use on a hapless young woman who didn't know that petting scorpions with an affectionate hand would leave you stung.

"Is she the one who has been helping you with speaking the Mekem language?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:47 am 

"Hai, she has. Mekhem is her mother tongue, but also speaks Merenaese and Rokugani quite well. From what she has told me, she is an Emissary for the Unicorn, fulfilling courtly functions for them." He couldn't help but smile when thinking of Akaichou, or having tea with her again.

His eyes flicked to the Dragon, appreciating her nod. "I am glad that you and I have taken the time to speak, Agasha-sama. On many occasions. Hearing you have faith in my abilities... is a very welcome sentiment."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:35 am 

Utsusemi gave a wry smile. "Despite our... misunderstandings, you are a capable courtier of your clan, Shosuro-san. Verily, it would be foolish of me to not acknowledge that. Just as I know I also cannot be everywhere and do everything either - my duties as a chaperone require my time, as do the work for the Temple."

"Besides, it is important for the Explorers to maintain a level of trust and faith in one another. Disharmony can topple us as sure as outside forces."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:11 am 

The misunderstandings. He nodded in acknowledgement. "Of course. We must rely on each other so far from home. Especially as we encounter these strange new cultures."

He regarded her for a moment, and then closed his eyes, bowing his head. "But that trust and faith has to be earned, as well. I just want you to know, that I will not cause you to feel you have misplaced those in me."

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next