Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: [D6 EE] Contemplation
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:42 pm 

Kenzo came for the flowers. But he stayed for the turtles.

The sun was starting to go down, the trees casting long shadows across the walkways. And Kenzo knew he needed to be getting back soon. He had seen what he'd wanted to see, and even had a small collection of flowers tucked away.

But turtles! Kenzo leaned out over the water, smiling as he regarded the little creatures. One of them stared back. Maybe. It was hard to tell.

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

Post subject: Re: [D6 EE] Contemplation
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:12 pm 

She smiled as Tristan happily pranced alongside her. At times he would stop and let the wind blow in his ears, nose in the air to capture all the good sniffs. She giggled at his antics, ears fluttering like his breed's namesake.

Up ahead she saw a man. He seemed to be quite enjoying the turtles that populated this area. She thought that was mainly her as she rarely saw people admire them as she did.

She cautiously approached so as not to bother him if he wished to be alone. She tilted her had to one side, her face remaining as tranquil as this place often made her feel. "Do you wish to be alone?"

Akaichou's dress

Gaijin Horse (Bishounen) ∞ Papillon (Tristan) ∞ Carries: Personal Seal, Blade (hidden), Coin Purse
Theme: Praan [Translated Lyrics]Description

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:44 pm 

Kenzo didn't seem especially surprised, his expression cheerful as he turned to face the newcomer. His eyebrows went up, though, both at the appearance of the young woman, and at the unfamiliar words.

Smiling, Kenzo shook his head. "I'm sorry, I don't understand. Do you speak..." He paused. "I would call this language Yobanjin. I'm not sure if you have a different name for it."

His smile grew, and he bent further, hands resting on his knees, as he looked at Akaichou's companion. "Hello, friend." He said cheerfully to Tristan.

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:55 pm 

Akaichou smiled brightly, reaching her violet eyes. "Yes, I speak Yobanjin. His name is Tristan. He's quite friendly."

Tristan did a circle and his tail began to wag at the attention.

Gaijin Horse (Bishounen) ∞ Papillon (Tristan) ∞ Carries: Personal Seal, Blade (hidden), Coin Purse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:16 pm 

Kenzo smiled at the dog. "Well, then. Hello, Tristan." He spent a few moments admiring the dog, holding his hand out, perhaps petting it if the dog allowed.

He straightened, then, clearing his throat. His hands came to quickly smooth the front of his kimono, which was well-fitted but mostly sturdy, in a dark green color, clearly meant for travel. "Perhaps I should introduce myself, then. Having met one of you." He smiled, bowing. "Mirumoto Kenzo, at your service." He straightened once more, eyebrows raised expectantly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:30 pm 

Akaichou inwardly (and perhaps a little outwardly) laughed happily. She bowed to the man before her. "Ide Akaichou. It's an honor."

"Forgive me if this is intrusive, but your name is like mine. Are you Rokugani?"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:39 pm 

"Ide-san, then." Kenzo said with a nod. "Indeed, the honor is mine."

Kenzo's eyebrows went up a little, pleased. "I am, in fact, yes. I take it, then, that you are one of the Ki-Rin?" He asked.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:07 pm 

"I am." She spoke in Rokugani. "Forgive me, I'm not fluent, but you are among the first I've had the chance to speak with who have Rokuagni as their mother tongue."

"What do you think of the gardens?"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:22 pm 

"Ah!" Kenzo said brightly. "Well, you speak it quite well, it seems to me. I am impressed with how well the Ki-Rin have maintained the language; I've spoken with a few others that speak it, like Ide-Mohan-sama or Genta-sama." He tilted his head, looking at her. "Or did the Tortoise help to keep it fresh?"

"The gardens are lovely." He turned, looking out over the water. "Very lovely, indeed. So many flowers... it is different than the gardens that we find back in Rokugan, but I think someone who enjoyed those would enjoy these." He smiled fondly.

"Ahhh..." He looked a little sheepish. "Do you suppose it's acceptable to take a few? There are so many..." He shifted the bundle of flowers he carried under his arm.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:14 am 

Akaichou's smile surely reached her eyes. She had always been told her enunciation was excellent, but to hear praise from a true Rokugani was a whole new experience. Still, she knew he was probably being kind, as she would have been with others. "You are very forgiving, I'm sure." She told him, the smile still curling her lips; something she couldn't hide. "I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Tortoise helped. The Ide and Suio have been carrying our mother tongue for a very long time. Help would not have been refused."

She looked to the flowers he'd squirreled away. "I won't tell if you won't." she giggled. "I don't think anyone would mind."

"You said that this garden is different from Rokugan. Would you tell me how? Perhaps in Yobanjin so I don't miss anything?"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:01 am 

Kenzo couldn't help but return the young woman's smile with one of his own. Her cheer seemed rather infectious. His smile widened to a grin as she giggled. "Ah, good. I shall trust you with my secret, then." He solemnly patted the flowers under his arm.

He nodded in response to her question. "Of course. Hmm. An interesting question." He rubbed his chin thoughtfully with one hand. "It's a little difficult to explain." He admitted. "But... hmmm. In Rokugan, the gardens often try to, I would say, imitate nature. Make it appear that you are walking through a perfect little clearing." He gestured around. "Here, there is a great deal of beauty. But it is more clearly designed. You can see how it was shaped by the gardener."

His lips twitched, and he looked at her. "I cannot say which is better, though. Only how they are different."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:17 am 

"They sound lovely." Akaichou said sincerely. "I believe I once saw something to similar to that which you describe in the Ivory Kingdoms. The beaches there were as breathtaking as their natural gardens." She could remember them with crystal clarity.

"It is not the sort of thing that one can choose a favorite of. My unsolicited advice is to enjoy both. And the turtles." She grinned as she saw them swimming below.

"There is something about being around animals and nature that I find peaceful. It lightens the heart. I am normally not quite this chatty." She brushed a stray lock of hair back before looking into his eyes and smiling.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:39 pm 

"The Ivory Kingdoms?" Kenzo echoed, blinking. "I've never heard of them." He said, amazed. Day by day, the world seemed to be growing larger.

He laughed at her joke, the laughter fading to a warm smile as she met his eyes. "No?" Kenzo said. "Neither am I. It seems we have something in common." His lips twisted charmingly.

He turned, looking out over the water, at the turtles sunning themselves on rocks. "Peaceful, yes. I have made the study of animals my calling, as much as anything else I do. And I apply proper methods of science to it, of course." His expression softened. "But I will confess, I often enjoy just watching them. Wondering about their thoughts, the whys of what they do. It's almost... meditative." He said thoughtfully.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:24 am 

"The Ivory Kingdoms are quite lush and green and as such home to animals not found in other parts of the continent. Beautiful places and beaches. Does Rokugan have places like these?"

Tristan gave a small 'rff'. Her attention should have been on him! "I wish I could say I knew more about animals, but I'm delighted by them." She reached down and Tristan bounced into her arms. "I know Tristan here, and I know Bishounen my stallion. For the most part pets are hard to keep when one travels all the time. So I must take advantage of the ones around me naturally."

Her eyes lit up. "Have you been by Mustaffar's yet? It's a coffee and tea ceremony house, but it is home to several civets."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:56 am 

"Oh my." Kenzo murmured. "Ummm... I'm less familiar with the beaches of Rokugan. But there are natural areas with unique animals. My Clan's lands are very mountainous. And I've done some exploring in the forests to the north of Rokugan."

He turned, laughing at Tristan's antics. He smiled at Akaichou as she picked up the little animal. "I've felt the same thing, although I have no pets at all. Except perhaps just today I have a cat." His lips twisted at that.

"Ahhhh..." Kenzo blinked. "I have a friend interested in tea ceremony. But coffee?" He asked, raising his eyebrows.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:54 am 

"A cat? They say cats and dogs are to be enemies, but this young man couldn't hurt a mouse." She thought for a moment. "Would you like to hold him? He is very friendly and loves being the center of attention. His breed is a Papillon. They are meant to be small guardians that warn of danger, but as you can likely tell he can only yell about it; not much else."

"Everyone thought he was a fitting pet for me. Papillon means "butterfly," and since I am "crimson butterfly" it seems a natural kinship."

She had gotten used to describing coffee. "Coffee is a drink of acquired taste. It is often mixed with milk or other things to bring out different flavors. There is even coffee ceremony as there is tea ceremony. I practice tea ceremony although I do not claim to do it perfectly." Her violet eyes smiled.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:11 pm 

"Interesting." Kenzo said. "My friend might very much enjoy seeing a coffee ceremony sometime. I wonder how similar it is?"

He brightened. "But yes! I should like to hold him. 'Butterfly', hmmm? I wonder how they got the name..." Smiling, he held out his arms; from the way he positioned them, one curling under for support, it was clear that he knew how to hold a dog properly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:04 am 

Tristan now wore a content look on his face. "They call them butterflies for their ears. They flick back and forth like wings. And if you look at the back of their heads, you can see a butterfly in the colors. He seems to like you." She smiled.

"The tea ceremony I practice has many differences from coffee ceremony, but they are both about living in the moment and appreciating what is around us. I thought I might come here and perform ceremony at some point. It's very tranquil."

She thought a moment. "The way I understand Rokugan, there are many different climates. Where do the Tortoise live, and do they have actual Tortoises? It might seem a silly question, but I have so many I don't know where to begin at times."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:21 am 

For a few moments, Kenzo's attention was entirely taken. "Awww, who's a good dog, Tristan?" Kenzo asked the question that people who like dogs universally seemed to ask of them.

He cleared his throat, glancing around, still holding the little dog. "It is, yes." He sighed pleasantly. "Tranquil. A very good word for it, Ide-san." He smiled at her.

Kenzo blinked. "They do, in fact." He chuckled softly. "Ahhh... it is difficult to explain where the tortoise live without explaining all of Rokugan. Their lands are near the captial, which is somewhat near the center of the Empire on the north-south axis, on the coast. It has a very moderate climate."

His eyes went distant as he continued. "And there is quite a bit of variety, yes. I mentioned my own Clan has mountainous terrain. But there are the rich flatlands of the Crane and the Lion. Scorpion is more river territory, with some swamps. I've spent time in Yobanjin lands to the north, where it tends to be colder, and thickly forested." He tilted his head thoughtfully. "But I have never seen a desert." He looked at her, his expression interested.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:12 am 

Akaichou smiled, learning even small details about her ancestral homeland. "There is no desert in Rokugan?" she asked surprised. "While the desert can be very beautiful, it can be harsh as well. To describe it I would say it's the beach, without the water." she giggled a bit.

"It gets very hot. It does not contain the same wildlife that is native to other regions. But we have built good civilizations there. I was born in a place called The Jewel which some consider part of the Burning Sands region."

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next