Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Summoned by a Prince (D8 LA Closed)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:30 pm 

Suihime had spent the better part of the afternoon trying to sort her thoughts into one understandable cohesive bookshelf in her mind. So far she had sorted it into 'what she knew already', and 'untranslatable mess that somehow makes sense'. It was a start, but it was also causing a pounding headache that hadn't gone away.

So receiving a missive requesting her presence to meet with Hantei Jama was just about the last thing she wanted. Or at least second last, compared to being summoned by an Ashalan. She didn't know what one of those was, but for some reason in the 'bookcase of untranslatable mess that somehow makes sense' part of her mind, those were bad things. Still, one does not use a Jinn invading your very being to refuse a meeting with His Grace, so she prepared herself mentally and dressed appropriately, before making her way to his residence. Which was breathtakingly beautiful! She remained outside a few moments to admire the gardens before entering the building, and sending a message to Jama that she had indeed arrived as requested.

Imperial * Captain of the Ashitae Maru * Courtier *Imperial Explorer * Herald * Jama's Retainer * Bookworm * Jinn-Touched * Prolific Pundit on Gaijin Affairs * Gaijin-curious * Princess of the Imperial Navy * Profile
Status: 4.0 | Glory 7.8 | Honour/Faith Exceptional | Reputation 1.3

Languages: Rokugani, Mekhem, Yobanjin, Merenaese, ???

Post subject: Re: Summoned by a Prince (D8 LA Closed)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:18 pm 

She was admitted into Jama's presence without undue delay. The Prince was sitting in a room without windows, across a stretch of wooden floor, just enough to bow deeply on approach. He was alone, however, without any of his usual intermediaries. He looked at Suihime in silence for a moment, as if registering recent changes.

"Approach, Miya-san."

"The great questions of the day will not be decided by courtly discussions or pious prayers to the Heavens, but by blood and iron."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:25 pm 

Suihime approaches when bid, bowing deeply at the mans feet and holding that position until allowed to rise.

Imperial * Captain of the Ashitae Maru * Courtier *Imperial Explorer * Herald * Jama's Retainer * Bookworm * Jinn-Touched * Prolific Pundit on Gaijin Affairs * Gaijin-curious * Princess of the Imperial Navy * Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:30 pm 

"Enough." A short pause. "I have been informed of many new developments involving your person. I want to hear about them from you before I draw my conclusions."

"The great questions of the day will not be decided by courtly discussions or pious prayers to the Heavens, but by blood and iron."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:40 pm 

Suihime winced, glad her face was to the ground at this point. It allowed her to recover her On before she rose. "Of course my Lord. I assume this is referring to the situation in Little Aqahba" she nodded, folding her hands into her lap and keeping her eyes down "a situation arose in the town. Through an accident, a lamp was kicked. From that, a being rose, freed from its prison. A Jinn of Qanon."

She paused, considering if she needed to explain what a Jinn was, and went with the safe option.

"Am I'm sure you are aware my lord, Jinn are a race of free-spirited, strong-willed elementals. It determined that those of us who had stepped forward wishes to be tested by it, and so it tested us. The Imperial explorers, aided by a Unicorn priestess, bested it."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:50 pm 

"Before the creature was dispatched who had become affected by it." Jama remained dispassionate about the issue.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:52 pm 

So he does know some things about Jinn

"Matsu Yasuhiro-san...and myself were chosen" she answered honestly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:57 pm 

"Interesting choice of words, Miya-san. Do elaborate on what this being chosen entails. I was told you were rather vocal about being chosen. Was I lied to?"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:02 pm 

"You were not lied to; the Jinn would only select those it deemed worthy. Even if every person in the square would have called out for him, not all would have been chosen. Matsu-san is a brilliant warrior, a true example of the skills of the Lion."

A pause, as she considered her part.

"He appealed to the warrior in the Jinn. My appeal is not one of a warrior, but of a scholar. We have come to learn as much of these lands as can be learned, and a Jinn knows more than one could possibly learn in a lifetime; indeed, I feel in the few hours since that moment I have learned more than is humanly possible about the world outside Rokugans borders. It is...." she closed her eyes, letting her thoughts wander and her expression turned pained "painful, and yet" she opened her eyes once more "enlightening."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:14 pm 

"It is my wish to know what practical insights you can derive from your new condition." Jama looked at her straight.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:27 pm 

"It will take me a little time to get my new thoughts in order My Lord, but once I have done this...anything. perhaps everything" Suihime smiled more "I have seen the rise and fall of the Senpet, the marches of the Yodotai, and more. It is all fractured now though, like picking up a book and only reading the index. Give me time my Lord, and I will bring you more information than we could have ever hoped."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:48 pm 

"Then keep reporting your findings, however they manifest to you. As usual, I am most interested in all matters related to the Ki-Rin and later the Unicorn."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:54 pm 

"Of course my Lord" Suihime lowered her head, bowing to the man "all my knowledge and information is yours. It will be wonderful though to potentially have even more to give in this."

She paused, raising her head after a moment to say "forgive me My Lord, I do not mean to ask questions of you...but what do you wish to learn about the Unicorn? If there is a direction I can focus my thoughts, it may be...easier to locate any information."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:57 pm 

He nodded, allowing the question.

"What exactly Hawthorne took from them before he sailed for Rokugan. Whatever you determine in this regard must remain secret."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:00 pm 

Suihime nodded, looking thoughtful. She winced after a few moments though from information overload. "I will write anything I learn down and ensure that you and you alone receive it My Lord. If...this extra knowledge contains anything on this, it will become yours."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:03 pm 

"I will commend you diligence in such a case. Now, are there any problems in or out of the Explorers you feel important enough to report?"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:08 pm 

Suihime paused, uncomfortable, but she knew she couldn't lie to the man. "Unfortunately My Lord, there are many. The Explorers are not in harmony, far from it in fact. There is distrust between captains, first mates, and doubts spread around. I have worries also about some of the captains. Forgive me My Lord, I know you have chosen them all personally, and I do not wish to question your judgement on your choices, but I feel that an evaluation should be carried out on all captains and First Mates on the ships."

She paused again, before adding "I hope I have given you no reason to doubt my abilities though My Lord."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:18 pm 

"Express your opinions on the matter freely." He made a permissive gesture with his hand. "All men may rise, all men may fall. My evaluation is ongoing, toward you as well."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:38 pm 

"Of course My Lord" Suihime dipped her head once again, before siting up straighter to give her report. "I will begin with the vessels and captains that I believe have the least trouble, leading to the ones with the most trouble."

A small pause.

"The Stingray, and Asahina Tori-san. I have seen and heard very little of this vessel, if I am honest My Lord. I don't know the situation with the vessels First Mate, nor do I know what the ship is doing. I've heard...heresay regarding a ship flying. If such a thing were true, Asahina-san had a highly vested interest in flight, so it would not surprise me if it were her vessel."

Another pause as she moved onto the next ship.

"I do not know the fate of the Yamato Maru, nor of its captain Suzume-san. The First Office, Yogo Akarei-san, seemed a little more obsessed regarding the Jinn than I would have expected for a woman of the Jade office, and I am slightly concerned she views the voyage not through the eyes of the Imperial Explorers, but perhaps as an avenue to deal with the curse that has plagued her kin for generations."

Another pause.

"Much like the Stingray, the Kunshu Maru suffers from a lack of communication with the other ships and crews. Kitsu Keiji-san, despite my previous issues with the man, has performed his duties without issue as far as I am away. Muhaki Berena-san has many of the skills that I believe would be ideal for a First Mate. However, I believe Muhaki-san, while a very talented and intelligent woman, is perhaps not an ideal candidate for such a position. I feel she has used her knowledge as leverage in order to gain access to the Imperial Explorers, instead of treating it as the opportunity that her and the Tortoise need to take in order to improve their position."

For the next pause however, she looked a little less comfortable.

"The Amaterasu's Grace. Flagship of the Imperial Explorers, and the ship that should be the shining example of the greatness that is the Imperial Explorers....and it is captained by a man who believes himself to be more important than any other on this voyage. His actions are unbecoming of a man in his position, and his petty squabbles combined with almost an expectation for Seppun Kaiya-san to defend him, even attempting to place you on the spot in it...plus his beliefs that all must end in bloody violence. Please forgive me for saying, My Lord, but his position as the captain of the Flagship for the Imperial Explorers paints us in a very poor light, as he is the captain of the vessel you sail on."

She had to take a moment after that, but only a moment. She did not comment on her brother at all, instead moving onto the next ship.

"And finally, the Walrus. I am deeply concerned for this ship. Gusai Susumu-san is a man I have held in very high regard for his sailing expertise; indeed, he gave me my original lessons in sailing, and I would count him among the most talented sailors on this ship. However, I have begun to question his ability to captain after joining him on a voyage yesterday to the island that I'm sure Asahina-sama reported to you. On the Voyage, he chose my disgraced First Mate Matsu Yasuhiro-san to be his First Mate, the man removed from the position of First Mate after the resolution of the duel, instead of his own First Mate, even though she was on board the veseel at the time. Bringing Matsu-san however turned out to be a saving point of the voyage, as instead of returning to his ship when we found out the Island was alive and moving, Matsu-san returned to it instead and rescued it from being left stranded by the island. His skills at sea, which have always impressed me, allowed him to steer the ship close enough that we were able to return onto the vessel mostly unharmed. Gusai-san instead decided to explore the island, leaving the care of his ship in Matsu-sans hands. When we were on board the vessel, he showed distrust towards his explorers, not wishing for the finds to be documented over multiple pieces of paper in case other explorers gain knowledge of it. His first mate, Seppun Kaiya-san, assisted with the return voyage back, however her inability to speak is difficult to overcome in a position of importance where a voice could be the difference between a vessel making it through a treacherous part of ocean or not."

Suihime sighed.

"This is my evaluation; a lack of communication, and a lack of willingness to work together. To me, it feels that the Explorers are unwilling to work together, instead treating the position they have been given as a sign they can do things alone. This is false, and I believe it needs to be rectified. Many ships are openly trading and policing the waters, but it must be known that they do this for the Imperial Explorers, not for themselves or their respective clans."

She went silent for a moment, before adding "ah, and to give a fair and accurate report, I must speak of the Ashitae Maru and my own performance, which I believe to have been lacking. I am the only active vessel that has not begun exploration, which is to my great shame. My concerns have been around the Teppodoka Regiment, and moving them to a new headquarters, as taking the headquarters on an exploration mission would not be in the best of interests to myself nor to Gusai Wataru-san in his position as Commander. While Matsu Yasuhiro-san has been removed as First Mate, I believe the man to be a talented and competent sailor as well as having the skills and abilities to be a ship captain if he can overcome the situation with the duel. However, he has taken to the new environment as one would expect a man fully invested in traditionalism to have; he looks at everything as a threat, and reacts poorly to change of instances outside the norm. He has also challenged Yogo-san to a duel based on a slight of honour and miscommunication over what it means to 'test' for corruption. This is for them to discuss though."

She then lowered her head in a bow, allowing her lord to digest the information.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:37 pm 

Jama had listened without interruption or a change in his On. He let her finish.

"Should I conclude then that the staff of the corps, you included, is so unfit to the task at hand that they should all be dismissed, and the Imperial Explorers dissolved?"

Page 1 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next