Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 4 of 5 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: [D6LE] Mysterious Moon
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:01 pm 

"That would be nice." Kenzo smiled at her fondly. "This is the closest thing I've found so far. There's a lot of beauty in the jungle, but it's very dangerous. I wish I could show you..." He took a deep breath, his eyes hot as they looked at her. He cleared his throat. "But I'll ask around. There may be something."

"Hmmm. Yes and no." Kenzo said. "But mostly yes. The Mirumoto are adapting quickly, but there are limits. Niten is impressively adaptable, but..." He shrugged. "But they were an interesting inversion of each other, actually. The Mirumoto used ancient techniques, the same for everyone, to try to get me to find my own path. College used the newest, most modern techniques, and seemed to offer many paths, but they all had a similar endpoint." He shrugged again.

Kenzo gave her a quick glance. "I wish I could compare with your Academy. How did it shape you?" His lips twisted. "I want to know how you became you, too."

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:54 pm 

"Ah, well," Utsusemi smiled bashfully before hiding it behind the sakecup lifted to her lips. "I wasn't at the Academy until after my gempukku... similarly to your time at the college. My first training was in Kyuden Doji."

Her lips pursed together as she savoured the droplets of sake left on them.

"Courtier-training is quite different from that of bushi, from what I have seen. Where you would spend hours mastering sword and bow, we would spend hours to learn minute details of etiquette... I assume there is some basic training in such in most dojo, but as representatives of the Doji, we were drilled on it several times each day on proper and expected behaviour. In a way, it was a constant lesson. Then of course lessons in calligraphy, and a basic grasp of the arts... hm, for me it was never a difference from what it was like in my home, as neither of my parents tolerated less than perfect behaviour from any of us."

She sighed softly and her fingers curled around his thumb. "But attending the Academy... I am quite fond of my time spent there. Every day presented new challenges and opportunities. Some days we would focus exclusively on our chosen art, other days we would be taught something new entirely. Though I do remember one embarrassing moment: as poetry was the art I was being taught in, one of the more common challenges we would give ourselves was to exchange poems with an unknown person, all the while trying to discern the identity of the other as we would write poems back and forth."

She chuckled as she felt her face flush as she relived old memories, or perhaps it was just the sake. "Over a week I was exchanging poems with this person, and for each day, I was more and more convinced that my partner was one of my seniors whom I thought then was rather dashing, so I would of course make insinuations towards it in my writing. So at the end of the week, my sensei said he would tell me the answer since I had not figured it out... here I am, all excited to think that some of my most romantic works had been exchanged with this handsome man..." Utsusemi grinned faintly. "I thought I was going to die of embarrassement when sensei then introduced me to my partner - the head sensei of dance; an old dried up crone who was probably four times my age, at least!"

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:26 pm 

Kenzo watched Utsu as she spoke, a slight smile on his lips. "Hmmm." He murmured as she described her first training. "What different paths we'd taken." It was interesting, he thought, how effectively she expressed herself through her arts, and how controlled she was otherwise. His forehead creased lightly as he considered it. From perfect daughter to perfect wife?

It eased though, his smile growing again as she talked about how much she enjoyed her time in the academy. He squeezed her hand more tightly in response to the touch of her fingers. "That sounds like a rather interesting challenge." He murmured as she paused.

The story was a good one. Kenzo laughed softly at its conclusion, grinning and shaking his head. "Oh my. Oh my indeed, Utsu." He said. He gave her a smirk, his eyes alight with humor. "Well, was she at least impressed with your work?"

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:43 pm 

Kenzo wasn't far off the mark when he had thought of her going from perfect daughter to perfect wife, and if he had ever met her father, he could quickly draw some conclusions on why Utsu was the way she was. Not to mention some similarities between husband and father...

"Thankfully, she was. Some nitpicks, of course... still, it was quite embarrassing," Utsusemi giggled and sipped some more of the sake. "Hm, learned later that the one I hoped I was exchanging letters with wasn't quite what I envisioned him to be. He was quite an accomplished poet and shamisen-player, and was perhaps the most popular man there for his good looks, he sadly had the personality and wits of a lobster." She shook her head with an amused smile. "Guess beauty is not everything."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:15 am 

Kenzo blinked, grinning helplessly. "Wait. A lobster?" After another brief blink of surprise, he laughed. "Utsu, you really do have a gift for comparison. I don't think I would have ever thought of such a term on my own, but I feel like I know exactly the sort you're talking about. A lobster. Brilliant." He laughed again, shaking his head.

"Indeed, there is a great deal more important than that." Kenzo said, smiling at her fondly. He did think she was beautiful, of course, but it was for rather more than that that he had come to love her. "Hmmm." His expression turned thoughtful. "I'm trying to remember when I learned that lesson myself. Who was my lobster..." He grinned at the thought.

"There was a Mirumoto... Hotaru, I think? It's been so long..." He sighed. "She was beautiful, and skilled; one of the best duelists in the class. I remember spending a lot of time trying to impress her. Eventually, I did; I'm pretty good, after all." He flashed a quick grin at Utsu. "But... as soon as we talked, it quickly became clear that we didn't have anything to talk about. She was smart enough, but..." He shrugged. "There was just no connection." Idly, he continued to stroke her hand with his thumb.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:32 am 

"Mm, you do have a talent for impressing," her grin mirrored his. He had certainly impressed her many times lately, after all. "I understand what you mean, yes... there needs to be a connection of some sort."

At least she felt she connected well with Kenzo, despite their different backgrounds and lives. There was something innocent and refreshing about him that just put her so much at ease, and unlike Sanjuro, there was not a whole load of complications or difficulties. Kenzo was just... Kenzo, really. He was different from the two Agasha brothers.

Utsusemi gave his hand a tender squeeze. "As for comparisons, well, that is also part of both training for courtiers as well as the artisans of the Academy," she smirked. "As courtiers we must be clever and witty, as the flow of the courts are often determined by who says the right remark at the right time. As artisans, we are also taught to criticize. We had several games of comparisons, but Sadane is one that is required for all artisans of the Academy."

Her lips quirked slightly. "'Tis was never something I cared too much for myself, though it's lessons have been beneficial in courtly circumstances."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:56 am 

The compliment made his cheeks flush, his eyes glinting his pleasure at her. He took another sip of his sake, the pleasant taste washing over his tongue. If he kissed her, he suddenly thought, her lips might have the same taste... his eyes flickered to her lips, but except for an indrawn breath and a gentle squeeze of her fingers, he managed to restrain himself.

"I hadn't thought of that, but of course it makes perfect sense." Kenzo said, nodding agreeably. "Although I had noticed how many courtiers seem to excel at artistic pursuits, like painting or poetry. The overlap in aptitude..." His lips pressed together as he considered. "I suppose I hadn't quite realized it. How curious."

He watched the quirk of her lips. "Oh? I've heard of Sadane, of course. I didn't realize it was quite so important for the academy curriculum. I'll admit, I imagined it was all just..." He gave a vague wave of his hand. "That the focus was entirely on creation."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:10 am 

"Mm," similar thoughts passed through her mind as she watched him have another sip. Along with some other rather indecent ones that she was not drunk enough yet to entertain even mentioning later in private.

"Probably not all courtiers, but many do, mostly because the courtly season of winter features so many challenges and little games that provide small shots at glory for the winners. And courtier can certainly afford the time to be dilettantes, as we do not need to hone our bodies into weapons of war, nor deepen our connection to the kami," she said as a matter of fact. Most courtiers she knew dabbled in quite many things, both scholarly and artisticly, though few were masters of an art.

"Ah, well," she chuckled. "Part of creation, for a dedicated artist, is also to improve. And through criticism, we improve. Though leave it to the Crane to turn even such into its own artform." Despite the barb at her own former clan, she was smiling mirthfully. "One thing is to recieve feedback and criticism from your sensei; it is another matter entirely if your work is to be the object of a round of Sadane. Might be how a bushi student feels if they are asked to fight a round with a senior student?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:32 am 

As they stood and talked, the moon rose higher. It seemed almost unusually large, especially with its twin reflected in the pool below.

"Ah, of course." Kenzo said, nodding. He shifted, leaning more heavily against the stone, his weight shifting unconsciously towards Utsu, almost bringing their arms into contact. "And I understand what you mean. Although..." He smirked. "I actually rather enjoyed fighting the senior students. I lost the vast majority of the time, of course. But when you won, well, that was invigorating." He grinned. "And it helped me to learn very quickly, too. There's nothing for perfecting a technique like being on the receiving end of it."

He shrugged, still smiling. "So I always felt it was worth a few extra bruises. But..." His expression turned thoughtful. "I suddenly feel as though that's different. Not something I'd created, and bruises can heal faster than... than spiritual wounds, I think." He looked at her, smiling fondly. "You've always been a kind teacher to me, Utsu. I can't think you've ever hurt me with your criticism."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:47 am 

It was hard to resist not leaning closer to him as he shifted near, and perhaps he could tell from the way their hands tightened slightly in their hold, but his presence was inviting and she could still remember the scent of him from before.

"Ah, is that so? Hmm... I were oft under the impression that most bushi would feel their ego would have been bruised over such a loss, but then again, my own training in the martial arts is rather lacking." She had learned to use the naginata her sister Hotaru had given to her when she married, but Utsusemi did not really care much for practising too often. Though she had to admit it might be an idea to consider it more in this place, as Kenzo could not always be there.

She chuckled softly, seeing the fond expression in his smile, and she couldn't help but to feel the same way. "It's... different, with you. And your paintings are mostly for your research, it does not feel right to critique it that way. It's more important that you make accurate portrayals, rather than beautiful ones, no? Like my painting of that woodpecker we saw before we left Dragon's Guard City. I tried to remember more how I felt when I watched it fly, and evoke a sense of that in my portrayal... while you or Ran-san would probably try to get the details of its feathers and shape more correct, yes?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:48 am 

As close as they were, Kenzo felt that he could almost sense Utsu's nearness, as though her proximity itself were tangible. The thought that a tiny shift would bring them into contact again was almost as exciting as the touch would be. Almost, but not quite.

"Well... sometimes." Kenzo admitted with a wry twist of his lips. "My exchange with the Akodo princess did rather sting my pride. And my shoulder." The quick look he shot her though was anything but hurt, remembered exhilaration from their meeting that followed. "But as you say, criticism is needed to improve. Those who couldn't take their lumps, literal or metaphorical, couldn't improve."

"Yes, I suppose." He pursed his lips thoughtfully. "Ran-san's method is actually almost entirely via writing; I had the chance to observe her using it a bit last night. She lost her notes in the storm." Kenzo winced sympathetically. "I was helping her to recover some of what she lost."

"With mine... hmmm." He looked at her. "I do strive for accuracy... but as you said, I do get rather, ah, excited about animals. I think perhaps the method I use is because I'm trying to inspire others to feel what I do, at least a little bit." He smiled. "I do enjoy showing them to you or to the children."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:03 am 

"Oh dear," her brows lowered in a sympathetic expression. "How sad... hmmm... maybe some of my sketches and paintings could be of use to her."

Speaking of the children, her smile grew slightly, even if there was a profound feeling of homesickness to her. "Mm, they both enjoy hearing about animals from you, especially when you have a picture to show." I miss them both so much... I hope it hasn't been difficult for them.

"I... should probably see if I can find something of interest from here to bring back home to them..." Utsu looked back up at the rising moon.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:50 am 

Kenzo smiled. "A fine thought, Utsu." He nodded approvingly.

He watched her face carefully as she spoke about her children, given her a pleased smile. His expression grew curious, his eyes still on her, as she looked up at the moon.

After a few moments he spoke. "I can help you." Kenzo said cheerfully. "Perhaps Yoshi-kun would have liked that snake I killed..." Grinning, he gently nudged her with his elbow. "But I'm sure we can find something that they'll love. Perhaps something in the market?"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:09 am 

"Hah, I would have liked to see you try get that snake past me!" Utsusemi grinned playfully and nudged him back.

"But it sounds like we have a small expedition on our hands to the Hoof; gifts for the children and that coffee house with the strange animals I was today."

Her face flushed awkwardly, and drained her sakecup as she realised she was getting to a point where she was saying more than she had planned.

Oh right... maybe shouldn't have said where it was.... wait, he would have found out anyway when I'd take him there.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:28 pm 

Kenzo laughed in pure enjoyment as Utsu nudged him.

He almost missed it. Kenzo smiled at her. "Indeed. It sounds as though it will be a very good time. I'm rather looking forward to it." His eyes flickered briefly over her form. "I was hoping to find some local clothing for myself, too. You've rather inspired me with yours." His eyes glinted at her.

But the flush finally clued him in, even as he reached for the sake bottle. He paused, frowning gently. "The Hoof? Ah... I hope you took an escort there, Utsu?" Concern flickered in his eyes, but only briefly; after all, she was clearly okay.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:37 pm 

"Not as such, no..." she said sheepishly. "Rather, I was not planning on going there, but I took a few wrong turns after a sudden run-in with that Muhaki Zabieru and ended up there by accident. Luckily I spotted the captain of the Walrus, Gusai Susumu, so he at least kept me company."

She gave him a reassuring squeeze with her hand. "I promise, I didn't intend to go there alone... I'm not the type to seek out danger on my own."

Utsusemi leaned a bit closer. "But I think you would look rather nice in some of the local styles. You were talking about some kind of belt for your pistols, no?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:02 pm 

"A run-in?" Kenzo's frown deepened. "I've heard the name. The man seems to be acquiring an unsavory reputation." Residual worry flashed through him again. Still frowning, he tossed back the rest

The squeeze of her hand pushed it away though; he tightened his own fingers in response. His frown transformed almost instantly into a smile. "Oh good. As your yojimbo, I'd be quite troubled professionally. On a personal level..." He trailed off, letting his eyes say the rest.

Kenzo couldn't help it. He leaned in too, letting their sides come into contact. "I was." He said. "They look like may have impressive utility." He smirked. "At the moment, I'm rather more interested in what styles you think I might look nice in."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:23 pm 

"I know... and I wouldn't want you to either have to suffer the loss of face of something happening to me if you were not around, or to have you worry about me." Utsusemi's smile was comforting as they stayed near eachother, their arms brushing near one another.

"Mmm, well, when I spoke with Shosuro Anzai-san yesterday, he was wearing one of the local fashions. Hm, it is a little difficult to explain how it looked like, but I could try drawing it for you when we get back to the manor?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:38 pm 

The occasional touch of their arms was both comfort and excitement enough. Kenzo smiled back at her, his worry dispelled.

"Oh?" Kenzo's eyebrows went up just a little. After a moment, he shrugged, smiling. "That sounds interesting. Perhaps I should like to see it. I hope my imagination will be sufficient to picturing the clothing on me."

He glanced up at the moon. "And perhaps we should be returning soon, then." His lips quirked. "Although I'm finding it difficult. It's been a very lovely night."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:44 pm 

"Mm," Utsu agreed with a soft tone, looking out at the view again. "I have greatly enjoyed this moment here with you, Kenzo... the dance, the animals, the shared stories of what our lives were like before we met," she chuckled. There was a pleasant warmth to the sound.

"But you're right. It might be time to go back, after having one more cup each? Good sake does not tend to last well once it has been opened."

Theme #5Profile

Page 4 of 5 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next