Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Translation Breather (D1, EE, Kofun)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:58 pm 

Bellena put a shawl atop her head as she walked out into the cool evening air. The sudden an immediate request for translation from the Kaiu had drawn her attention for the past few hours. In desperate need of a short breather, she walked out into the city a bit, promising herself to be back within the next hour.

She walked along the streets until she came to the hill leading up to the monastery and the ancient kofun beyond. She walked the way towards the kofun and peered up at the hill. Burial practices had only become a recent interest to her... ever since her father had passed. She pictured being back home and looking upon the graves of her ancestors as she stood there in the misty evening damp.

(OOC: Expecting)

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

Post subject: Re: Translation Breather (D1, EE, Kofun)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:38 pm 

"All men must die, presumably."

A quiet figure emerged from the mist, dressed in pale blues and greys just enough to blend in the surroundings. His white hair were giving his otherwise pretty face a ghostly demeanour. Maybe he was a ghost.

"But what happens after usually differs from time to time and place to place."

"The roots of evil don't rest in Jigoku, but within the hearts of men."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:49 pm 

She turned to look at the man with a unfettered look in her eyes, "There are indeed many different stories for what happens after life..."

She bowed, "Have I disturbed you fine stranger? I did not wish to cause insult."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:01 pm 

"I worried about the same thing, but took the risk nonetheless."

The man chuckled softly in his curled fist. He then returned the bow.

"Seeing a woman of strange features with hair like fire in the fog on burial mounds inspires curiosity. And curiosity often gets the better of me. Especially that we, Rokugani, believe in the existence of portals between the realm of the living and other realms, realm of the dead among them."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:12 pm 

She nodded, "Indeed we do..."

She then looked up at the mound, "I'm afraid however that isn't my particular specialty... So please excuse me for my lack of spirituality."

She then bowed respectfully, "My name is Muhaki Berena, yoroshiku onegai itashimasu."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:47 pm 

"We cannot be experts on everything, neither you nor me, Muhaki-san. Life is too short for that as all these long-gone people of insight and knowledge buried here remind us. I am Asahina Yajinden, and I am pleased to meet you."

He bowed politely.

"But I surmise you have your areas of expertise."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:39 am 

Asahina Yanjinden, a name which could scarcely be avoided in this town. She bowed deeply at his greeting, recognizing his status that she was now aware of.

"I have things which I have attempted to become proficient in, yes. Though to what degree I cannot fully say." She said humbly.

"I have studied linguistics for much of my life. As well as the natural world around us. And the workings of the stars in the heavens."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:44 am 

"It does sound like you've taken the core interests of your Clan and have brought them to the next level. Sea navigation, studying ever new people and natural phenomena. I suppose you serve in an advisory position in one of the forward Tortoise holdings abroad. When you're not visiting Rokugan on a field study, that is." He mused in a pleasant tone, letting the fog seep through his fingers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:46 am 

"A very astute observation Asahina-sama." She nodded.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:57 am 

"Alas, you've probably discovered that we had some acrimonious displeasures with the Tortoise last year. Hopefully this is over now, though the long-term consequences are hard to ignore. While the local Tortoise have come to understand that being a part of the Empire means less independence and objectionating than late Muhaki Genjiko found suitable, the less local Tortoise like you probably find this trajectory difficult to accept. There must be some anxiety about what comes next if they send their finest minds here to properly assess the level of threat to whatever status quo there is out there in the big world." He continued calmly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:03 am 

"Or at least the ones they would not miss if things turned out to still be quite hostile." She replied with deference.

"The world is interested in this voyage that is being prepared; as it should be it will bring change to much as it currently exists. Those who serve the Empire from abroad are no different. We wish to know what is in store so we may more fully support the Empire and avoid further 'acrimonious displeasures'."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:11 am 

"I don't think the whole world is equally interested. Reasoning dictates that those closest are the most alerted. Likely inhabited by those 'we' you speak of." He looked into her eyes with his blue ones and smiled with subtle benevolence.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:17 am 

She nodded, "It is true that the Tortoise have greater interest than others. For the Tortoise serve the Empire, and are responsible for its affairs abroad. It is difficult for any subordinate to know how to act without the proper information being provided. We wish to know how best to serve and in what capacity... unfortunately as of yet we haven't had opportunity to hear much from our friends here on the mainland. Which required 'us' to come and inquire for ourselves."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:23 am 

"Yes, your nau don't traverse the distance as often as they used to. Something we can make up for with the new Imperial vessels, if just a bit."

He nodded in thought.

"As the Tortoise serve the Empire rather than some foreign interests, they would probably not mind a visit of the Imperial Scion. Unless you think differently about it?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:30 am 

"If he were to honor us with his presence, the Tortoise would welcome him. It would be helpful, however, for us to supply proper preparations to ensure his safe passage and stay abroad... but from what I have heard, information on the destination of his voyage is being held close to the top." She replied.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:42 am 

"Prince Jama is a very thoughtful man. He reveals pertinent information not too early, not too late, but precisely when he means to." Yajinden chuckled lightly. "But then, of all people, you probably won't not hold it against him that he does not advertise the contents of Agasha Kasuga's journals to any and all."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:54 am 

Bellena's eyes opened slightly at that. She wasn't sure what exactly that could mean, but it wasn't too much of a guess to think that there was a great deal of information about the world abroad in such a book. Possibly even about her own home.

"That Lord Jama was in possession of such an artifact is something I have not yet heard. He has watched over the journal with care it seems." She offered a bow. "So he has selected a destination from among the places listed in the journal I take it?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:58 am 

"Indeed. It happens to be the most logical next step, because of such considerations as fresh water and other provisions, as it was for Agasha Kasuga and Teodoro Cornejo back in the day." Yajinden observed her keenly. "Well, unless the turtle has risen from its place and swam away."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:03 am 

"Almost anything can be lost in the vastness of the sea... Even islands can go for years without being found again. An inexperienced crew may find locating even a slow moving creature like a turtle to be quite difficult." She replied, watching him much in the same way he watched her.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:06 am 

"How true." Yajinden actually laughed at that, honestly. "But what was lost can be found. At least I believe so. And Prince Jama shares my belief."

Page 1 of 2 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next