Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 am

Page 3 of 3 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: Taking Your Lumps [D4 EA]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:58 pm 

"That would certainly seem to qualify as good, if I'm not mistaken." Kenzo said. "The return of your, ah, goddess."

He leaned forward a little, pushing his empty plate away. He'd managed all of the dumplings, but not quite one beer, the second left untouched. "But you thought it could be a bad omen, too?"

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:08 pm 

With a grunt, Khenbish helped himself to Kenzo's untouched beer. "Don't think I care to encounter a need great enough to bring a goddess back from the darkness."

ThemeDescriptionDemolition (a short story)
On Duty: Light Armour, Musket w/ Bayonet (loaded), Shot Pouch (10 cartridges), Scimitar, Belt Pouch
Off Duty: Sturdy Clothing, Parangu, Belt Pouch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:21 pm 

Despite his fatigue, that got a surprised snort of laughter from Kenzo. "That is a good point. I hadn't considered that." He shook his head, still chuckling.

"Well." He said, giving his mealtime companion a nod. "I rather hope for both our sake that we don't find out." His expression grew thoughtful. "You've been a helpful fellow, Khenbish. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I know I had a lot of them."

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:27 pm 

Khenbish pressed his scarred lips together for just a moment, "having a meal not on my own, it's different." He didn't stipulate if that was better or not.

On Duty: Light Armour, Musket w/ Bayonet (loaded), Shot Pouch (10 cartridges), Scimitar, Belt Pouch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:34 pm 

After a moment, Kenzo's eyebrows went up. "Oh?" He said, his tone gently encouraging. He glanced around, confirming that plenty of others seemed to be eating in groups. It seemed Khen's solitary meals were a personal thing, rather than an indication of the culture here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:40 pm 

Khenbish's eyebrow took on a cynical slant and he indicated to his scarred countenance with a vague gesture.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:44 pm 

Kenzo nodded, his expression sympathetic. "Yes, I noticed that. Misfire, if I'm not mistaken?" He tilted his head thoughtfully. "You must be left-handed, then. Unless you aim differently than we do."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:49 pm 

Khenbish grunted his affirmation, favouring Kenzo with a nod, "correct on both counts," though the Moto had his musket slung on his right shoulder, over his sword.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:13 pm 

Kenzo grunted in return. "Well, I won't deny that in Rokugan, there would be a certain amount of... hmmm. I would call it, superstitious stigma around that sort of thing." His eyes briefly focused on that one eye, and then away. It was a little unsettling.

He shrugged. "Personally, as a man of reason, I find it foolish to have superstition about something with so clear a cause."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:21 pm 

Kenzo's brief contact with his injured eye seemed to reinforce what Khenbish was saying. "Stigma or no, still tends to put people off their lunch."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:41 pm 

Kenzo shrugged, then offered the other man a grin. "Perhaps your companions just don't tend to be as hungry as I was. It would have taken a lot more than a discolored eye to discourage me from eating these dumplings, I assure you." His tone was light, joking.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:38 pm 

Perhaps it was nothing, but the stare of Khenbish's left eye seemed to grow a few degrees colder. He finished that third beer and placed some silver on the table to pay for them before getting to his feet. "Rukub alriyh," his tone seemed to indicate some sort of farewell.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:42 pm 

Kenzo shrugged again. "Right. Thank you for the company, Khenbish." His lips compressed. It was so strange saying a name with no honorific to follow.

"If you'd care to have my company again sometime, I can often be found aboard the Kunshu Maru at the West Docks.
Although..."
He sighed. "Once I've eaten, I have an important task to complete."

"Ahhh..." Kenzo frowned down at the coins. "How much?" This was a rather unfamiliar thing to him.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:50 pm 

"You are welcome, Kenzo. No need to pay, I drank your beer, I'll cover it." Lacking the more refined social graces, and having already said goodbye, Khenbish nodded to the other man, and turned to leave.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:05 am 

Kenzo smiled, blinking in surprise. "That's very kind of you. In that case, I very much hope you'll allow me the opportunity to show you hospitality sometime."

With a sigh, he rose to his feet. The food had done him some good, no doubt, but there was still more to be done. And it didn't overcome the exertions of the past night, nor of that morning. Somewhat blearily, Kenzo followed Khen out of the restaurant.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:17 am 

Were Khenbish the more hospitable type, he might have offered Kenzo some directions, but on the other hand, this was his first time in the West Port himself. He was also beginning to tire of the smell, beginning to understand why some of the other Unicorn had nicknamed the area "garbage bay".

He did, however, clap Kenzo on the shoulder in a companionable enough manner.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:59 am 

"Errrr..." Kenzo frowned, taking a moment to sort that out. But of course, some of the Merenaese sailors had done such things to each other. Strange; despite the many differences, Kenzo had been thinking of Khenbish as a sort of samurai. Well, fatigue, no doubt.

Kenzo bowed. "Thank you again, Khenbish. Until next time."

And with one last sigh, he was off.

/exit

Page 3 of 3 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3