Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 pm

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Forging Ahead? (D8, EA)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:01 am 

There was something a bit charming about the Plaza de Diversidad that she preferred to the commotion that was Little Aqhaba. It seemed to have a congregation of different corners of the world, but everything was calmer and more orderly. Even the streets. It gave her a strange sense of home, even if it was quite far from it.

At least the orderly streets made it easier to search for the adress she was looking for, though she occassionally had to stop and ask for directions. And resist offers of various goods or food in the process. Her clothes did make her standout among the people there, but by now most were probably getting used to seeing these new arrivals in kimono. Even if she was carrying a parasol to shield her from the worst of the sun.

"Let's see... 20... 21... 22... oh, 23," she smiled with some relief as she finally spotted what must be the right place. So this is what a Merenaese metal workshop looked like.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

Post subject: Re: Forging Ahead? (D8, EA)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:10 am 

Abelardo Gutierrez was conscientiously working on big cleats the stockyards had ordered, filling the forms with molten steel. Sanjuro was sitting nearby, clearing the forms and grinding out imperfections into smoothness. The leg he favoured was put higher on the stool.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:25 am 

Seeing the work that was going on, it was a strange little feeling to see that no matter how far away from home one was, there were some things that didn't change. Molten steel still seemed the same, and a forge still smelled the same.

Though that gave her an uneasy feeling.

She was accustomed enough to recognize the routines of their work as she waited for a moment to announce herself. "Pardon me," she spoke when there was a brief lull.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:34 am 

Both men, until now occupied, raised their gazes on her. "Utsu." Sanjuro immediately put away a cleat he had been polishing and forced himself to rise, grabbing a nearby wooden crutch. He seemed a little startled, as if caught at deep thoughts. "Senor Abelardo, this is my sister-in-law."

The bearded man nodded for a greeting. "Buenos tardes, Senorita. Are you in need of metal products?"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:51 am 

Seeing Sanjuro needing a crutch was hard on her, but Utsusemi put on a brave face for his sake. He had said he didn't want her pity, and she didn't want to hurt him by showing it. "Sanjuro," she said, smiling as he made the introductions.

"Buenos tardes, senor Abelardo," she returned the nod, though with still with the grace she seemed to put into each such movement. "Hm... perhaps. I admit, it was not on my mind at first; I wished to see how my brother-in-law was settling in and recovering, but... you both seem to be hard at work." Utsusemi smiled pleasantly, but she was clearly thinking of what she needed replaced that could perhaps be done here.

There were some parts of her medical kit, she realised, that would need replacing... and well, she trusted at least Sanjuro to be able to make small blades for making incisions.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:03 am 

"We can always talk about this later, Senorita. I respect family values." He looked at Sanjuro. "Take a break, Senor Tercero."

Sanjuro nodded and hopped onto his feet onto his crutch in a demonstration how fine he was doing... with the crutch. He was very glad to see her and at the same time barring himself from being carried away by the feeling.

"I have a room upstairs. Unless you want to go out."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:08 am 

"Thank you, senor," she dipped her head a bit more in gratitude.

Utsu thought for a brief moment. "Upstairs, I guess? I feel like I am tanning too much in the sun here," she said with a good-natured chuckle. Indeed, her skin had been gaining some colour, but it was more like a healthy glow so far, than the unseemly tan she was getting worried about.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:50 am 

He gave her complexion a serious regard. "You're fine, Utsu, as fair as ever." He then glanced up, to the staircase. "After you."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:04 am 

She smiled faintly at the compliment, though she figured Sanjuro would have said so even if she had the tan of a peasant. Following his direction, she climbed the staircase first. At least that meant he wasn't living in completely poor conditions, if he would let her see it before he had the chance to cover anything up.

"Ah...," she shook her head as it finally clicked, "clever name, by the way. Took me a moment to figure it out."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:33 am 

"Tercero? First thing that came to my mind when I was asked for a name."

He tried not to make a ruckus when climbing the stairs on a crutch, but he had some practice so it turned out alright. The room above was nice. It had a big bed, some cupboards and a bookshelf. Some empty bottles.

"My way to adapt, I guess. But I feel like I'd known those people long before coming here."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:52 am 

The room was... quite a surprise. Not at all what she expected. "Wow..." a word she rarely used. Utsusemi did a few turns as she got a better look at it. "I didn't know you lived in such luxury. And here I was worried you would be living in rather spartan conditions..."

"... Now I feel silly for thinking of bringing something to give your room a feeling of home."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:18 am 

"Luxury?" He rubbed the back of his head and looked around. "I haven't looked at it that way. It's not that I was picky. Abelardo's business partner lives here but he's in Merenae now, so it's just for the time being. But... I'm glad you like it. Feel comfortable."

He moved to the side from her back to look at her.

"It doesn't feel like home just because it has a big bed."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:31 pm 

There were small changes to her... as if she was more vibrant and alive, like how a flower would open up once out of the shadow.

But also more tangible changes, like how there wasn't a journal tucked into her obi like she had always done before.

"I guess that is true," she conceded. "Still, quite different than what I imagined..."

Her hand fished out the rolled up painting she had brought, and extended it to him silently.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:33 pm 

"Surely you have a better place for your artwork, Utsu. You said something about living is a nice estate." He patiently replied, noticing those little things but keeping his opinion of them for himself, at least for now. He hobbled toward a mug with cool water and poured some for her.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:14 am 

"True, but I brought this because I hoped you would like some reminder of home," she offered once more. Watching him hobble was making her worry if he would ever fully recover, but for now she said nothing on it.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:17 am 

He brought here the water. "Home is where close ones are. A place is just a place, and this belongs to someone else. I am not sure it's worthy of your art, Utsu."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:37 am 

The corner of her mouth tugged slightly in a smile. "Still, art is meant to be shared, and I wish to share it with you. And you are more than worthy of my art, Sanjuro." She extended the gift once more, now in exchange for the cup of water.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:50 am 

"Thank you." He accepted the scroll with his steady grip, not lessened by his leg injury, while passing the mug. "I'll find a suitable place around here." He unfurled the scroll.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:15 am 

The piece had weathered some time at sea, but she had taken great effort to preserve her art. Only the edges showed any signs of the journey it had gone through.

It must have been a result from their trip to the Treacherous Pass prior to leaving Dragon's Guard City, as it depicted a woodpecker taking flight, soaring to the sky from the clutches of the branches. The colours of the branches' maple leaves were muted, allowing the brilliant green and splash of red of the bird's plumage to draw the eye.

"I should thank you, for taking us out there that day... it was quite the source of inspiration to bring with me for the voyage." Utsusemi sipped the water as she watched Sanjuro's reaction to the painting.

---

Month 3 downtime. Artisan: Painting/Awa. +1k1 Void. 3 raises. TN 30. 2 paintings: 2#8d10o10k5 35 33
Gifting Sanjuro one of the paintings made during downtime at sea.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:13 am 

It wasn't too overt, but she knew him well enough to know that the altered breathing meant that he was moved, and cast into reminiscing. "I think I remember you were happier there than before, and full of wonder. It was worth it... It was good to show you a part of that world I considered mine, or at least a part of me. Now a part of that part returns to me with your painting. Strange how it goes." He shrugged, looking up at her with eyes slightly widened.

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next