Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 pm

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Steady as She Goes (Day 7 Late Evening)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:27 pm 

Yasuhiro had set up outside the shop he was staying at, as the sun set. They had made it back from the turtle in one piece, though the whole affair had left him more then a little exhausted. He wasn't sure why people didn't listen to sound advice, but they had done a good job ignoring him most of the day.

Which is why he was making arrows, much like this afternoon he was a little angry and he needed to work his way through it. The time consuming task of creation let him do just that, doing so outside in the cool night air was just a added bonus.

Silently he worked, not paying much attention to many passing by, though he did keep his ears open for anything out of the ordinary. Just in case.

Honor: Exceptional | Status: 6.0 | Glory: 4.4| Infamy: 1.0 | Reputation: 1.7 | Notoriety: 1.1

Carries: Daisho, Kimono, Finger of Jade
When allowed: Yumi, Light Armor

Merenaese

Post subject: Re: Steady as She Goes (Day 7 Late Evening)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:53 am 

Ringo is meandering through East Port again when he spots Keiji working at making some arrows. He approaches the Lion and offers him a polite bow. "Konbawa Matsu-sama. Have you had your rice today?"

Rokugani, Merenae, Mekhem
Carries: Daisho, Finger of Jade, Heavy Armour, Ink Brush Kit, Ono, Pistol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:18 am 

"Long ago, but yes, I have Hida-san." His afternoon was several hours away after all. "My last meal was some time ago though. I hope you have received Inari-no-kami's blessing this day?"

Honor: Exceptional | Status: 6.0 | Glory: 4.4| Infamy: 1.0 | Reputation: 1.7 | Notoriety: 1.1

Merenaese

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:57 am 

Ringo nods. "I have partaken of Inari's blessing. Do you usually fletch your own arrows? I would have thought they would have them available here as well."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:52 am 

"Depends.If I have the time I do. If not I'll some from someone else that does the job. Well, if I can find one I like the work of." Finished with one arrow he started in on another. "I can be a bit picky when it comes to my arrows."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:46 am 

Ringo nods. "Are archers fairly common among the Lion? I think I have only really met front liners."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:08 am 

"The Koritome are a entire Vassal family of archer Hida-san." Yasuhiro offered glancing up from his work for a moment. "So there are quite a few of us. Though front line soldiers might be more common."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:24 am 

"Ah, I was not aware of that. Thank you for the information Matsu-sama. So if I may ask, do the materials make that much of a difference when it comes to arrows?" Ringo asks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:51 am 

"Yes." He offered with a nod. "Different types of wood have different weights so they fly differently. The feathers change things as well, as long as the type of arrowhead." He moved onto his next arrow. "The materials used can also tell you where the archer might be from."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:19 am 

"Oh I did not know that. Very informative." Ringo nods as he listens. "So I assume that the methods and techniques used to create them also have an effect?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:48 am 

"A bit, but generally only in the way craftsmanship effects most weapons." He offered in explanation. "Is there nothing you create Hida-san?"

Merenaese

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:37 am 

"I am an engineer. I create a few things." Ringo replies.

"You fletching just seems out of the blue to me. I do not think I recall you ever mentioning it or doing it before in College." He comments.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:06 am 

"Oh... It's not really something I talk about." Yasuhiro replied with a soft frown. "It's not like I'm a expert after all, It's just the easiest way to get new arrows. This way you know they will suit you."

"Is it all that strange?'

Merenaese

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:17 am 

Ringo thinks upon that and then shakes his head. "Not at all. If a samurai cannot trust their weapons, that hesitation can be the difference between life and death."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:54 am 

"Exactly so," He agreed with a nod. "And since the arrows I trust most are the arrows I make, I make them." There was other advantages as well, some his grandmother mentioned. He didn't bring those up though.

Merenaese

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:32 am 

Ringo nods. "I mean no insult with my next question Matsu-sama. How do you think an archer should fight in order to best a marksman who is using one of those gaijin firearms? Do the tactics change if you are doing squad versus squad?"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:23 pm 

"One on one, the musketman is good as dead. I'll have killed him before his musket would be in range." The statement was simple fact, there wasn't any room for argument in his tone. "The tactic's change in squad versus squad, but the core remains the same. You rely on the bow's superior range and rate of fire."

"These muskets are intresting weapons, but at the moment they can't compare to bows. I'd say they could prove useful in the hands of ashigaru though."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:38 am 

Ringo takes in the information. "Why do you say that ashigaru will use them well?"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:11 pm 

"They don't take a exceptional amount of skill to use." He offered simply. "They also don't require a great deal of strength. Both are things most Ashigaru are lacking in."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:11 am 

Ringo nods. "That makes a lot of sense. Cannons are the total opposite then."

Changing the topic a little. "Have you come across anything else of interest Matsu-sama?'

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next