Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ] 

Post subject: Candle on the Water (D5, LE)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:29 pm 

Bellena walked home along the shore that evening after stopping by in the market to pick up some furnishings for her new room. With her new belongings tucked safely in her pack she walked by the base of the lighthouse overlooking the port. She saw the keeper of the lighthouse arrive at the door and begin to fiddle with the keys. She greeted the man and after some pleasantries he asked if she would like to come in as she often had over the past couple of years. Being in no rush, she accepted his invitation and climbed up the stairway to the balcony on top as the portly man lit the fire that would provide the light to the sailors for the rest of the evening.

After a few minuets of chatting with the kind man, Bellena allowed him to walk back down the stairs to his post as she stayed up on the balcony and gazed out into the ocean. The wind began to pick up slightly, blowing towards the island from the sea. Her hair rustled in the breeze as she looked up to the sky and attempted to read its appearance for any bit of insight about the next day.

She was distracted though... as her mind wandered out to sea, to a boat she was familiar with. On the horizon she thought that she could almost see its outline. She shook her head, scolding her mind for playing tricks on her and took a deep breath before looking back up to the sea. To her surprise the outline remained. It grew gradually larger as the last lights of day reflected off of the waves giving the sky and ocean a mellow pink and orange hue. She watched the ship for several minutes until the specific details of boat became visible. She saw the flag, the mast, the peculiar sails... and her eyes widened with excitement.

She quickly trotted down the stairs and paid the keeper a brief farewell before walking out onto the street and hurrying towards the dock. She arrived a minute before the large boat eased its way into its appointed station. She stood with a straight posture at the point where the wooden dock meets actual earth with her hands behind her back. She watched carefully as the plank was lowered and smacked down on the wooden dock; an anxious smile creeped up onto her lips...

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

Post subject: Re: Candle on the Water (D5, LE)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:38 am 

The particular ship had anchored away from the dock proper, before the estuary, but now the large rowing boat hit against the planks of the pier. A man wearing black waterproof leathers with silver embroidery and a turquoise bandana leapt onto the flat space. Seeing the flurry of red hair sparkling in the last vestiges of sun setting behind Mount Kappa, he grinned and rushed his steps, putting the pier in vibration as his boots were striking the creaking planks.

"Bella, you here? Don't tell me you waited here every day like some mariner's wife." He laughed.

Don Salvador de Muxaqui | Saaji ibn Mouhaqq al-Hattar | Jing Xiyuan | Sanzayun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:24 pm 

As if I would waste my time on an old sea rat like you who maroons me on this island...” She said as seriously as she could.

She stood there for a second with her hands behind her back examining him carefully. Then all at once her charade ended as a smirk crossed her lips. Her smirk turned into a smile as she leaned in to kiss him on his cheeks.

After exchanging the greeting of kisses she leaned back and looked at his face, “You look terrible.” She said with a bright smile.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:58 pm 

"Oh, I know, I feel terrible too." He leaned back similarly, holding her above the waist, squinting eyes slightly. "While you look you. So very red." He paused to smile impishly. "And maybe pretty too, but the light is not great."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:05 pm 

She chuckled and pinched him on his side teasingly, "You have a great ability of almost being charming. So close,
but so far at the same time.
"

She smiled and moved to his side while still wrapping her arm around his waist along his back. "Where're you headed?
If you're nice maybe I'll think of walking with you.
"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:13 pm 

"Along the catwalks, stepping on eggshells. I blame work for this attitude. I'll make it up to you once I wrap my mind around it." He gripped her strongly on the other side in reaction to the pinch, bringing her to walking together. His smile withered away slowly, however. "Then I'll have to be nice because we need to talk. I met the ship Juanito sent with the news yesterday so I know they are here. Part of why I didn't arrive in the light of day. But I guess you can tell me more."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:21 pm 

Her smile faded as well, but only partially. She consciously tried to keep a bit of a smile on her lips as she nodded. "There is so much... Where to begin..."

She sighed as she walked alongside him, fingers gently rubbing circles on his hip as she thought, "Juanito sent me to the mainland to ascertain exactly what is going on... and unfortunately mi am..igo, it is not good. Your mother and Lady Sadahako have passed."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:27 pm 

The news thunderstruck him. He blanched. A bit too harshly he took her hand from his hip and turned quickly toward the sea.

"Give me a moment."

He insisted with a changed voice. And if she did, he would stay silent for a long while, the wind hiding the sounds of his emotional reaction.

"How?" He would ask finally.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:33 pm 

Bellena let him go easily and then walked up close behind him after a few moments. She wrapped her arm around his upper back and put her hand tenderly on his shoulder as she looked out at the same ocean with tears in her eyes.

After his silence broke she swallowed once to make sure she had control of her voice and said, "I can't say with 100% certainty... but it appears your mother's ship was attacked on its way to a Moshi port. Quite possibly by the Mantis. And Lady Sadahako passed shortly after... officially it is said she passed from grief... but that too appears suspicious."

She sighed once as her hand gently caressed his shoulder, "There has been an Imperial Proclamation... raising Lady Sadahako to the position of Fortune. Apparently the order was commissioned by the previous Emperor. A shrine is to be built for her here."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:22 pm 

He leaned with his cheek on the back of her hand, staying silent for a while again, perhaps fighting emotion, perhaps gathering thoughts, or both. His ches undulated unevenly, with a bump over a threshold at each inhalation, the moment when air in his throat did not pass smoothly.

"This is ironic. All of it. I lose two mothers at once. They may well have had deaths like they had long assumed they could, at sea, or in bed from old age. I should have seen it coming, they were both old. But at the same time, they were likely both killed. How should I feel about it? Should I thirst for vengeance, seek blood? Or just accept it and move on? I don't know." A shallow chuckle empty of mirth. "And that edict, I am not surprised. Still..."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:33 pm 

She nodded thoughtfully as he spoke, not sure of what to say. Her breathing slowed and matched his own through some bit of subconscious synchronization. She pondered for a few moments while pulling herself tight to his side, "I've never found vengeance to be the proper response to tragedy... But to press forward with resolve... To commit to never permitting evil men to have free reign over others... To protect the people who remain from the machinations of evil... That I can respect; and that feeling comes from a very different place in one's heart than vengeance. It allows one to forgive and progress on their journey, but never forget the lessons that we learn from tragedy, nor the wonderful blessing it was to have those we lost in our lives."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:29 pm 

"This is a Kharsite speaking, Bella." His chest moved in a repressed pang of grief. "I have done my share of questionable things, I cannot draw a line like this, suddenly making myself righteous just because it hurts me this time." He clenched his fists and looked toward Ashitae Maru. "And I have no time to grieve."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:35 pm 

We all have many shades inside ourselves Sal... I’ve seen both your darker ones and your lighter ones, just as you have seen mine. You have it in you to take great evil and turn it to good. We can figure this out. One step at a time.

She turned his face to look at hers gently, “You’re better than your enemies. And stronger than your weakest points. I trust you.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:48 pm 

The creeping dusk hid the differences in colour on the skin of his face. "I trust you that we can figure it out, Bella, but I don't have answers tonight." His smile was more like a wince of pain as he moved to walk again, reciprocating her grip over him with his own arm. "Good, evil... What I know is I am a man who's been groomed to serve a purpose."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:19 pm 

She smiled, “We don’t need the answers tonight Sal. Today is for observation. Figuring out where we stand in all of this.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:22 pm 

"On a pier in a busy port where everyone can see us." He quipped. "Let's find a place, Bella."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:05 am 

She nodded, “We can always head back to the Hacienda.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:24 am 

He shook his head after a moment. "That would be premature. We need something more private. Let's go into the Little Aqahba."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:14 pm 

She nodded, "Lead the way."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:11 pm 

/Scene!

Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ]