Login FAQ  
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:39 am

Page 2 of 3 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Truth Made Manifest (D7, LA)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:17 am 

She sighed, "I cannot fault you for not knowing what is one of the secrets of my clan... but neither can I divulge it openly due to the promises I have made. You don't see our importance... You don't see how if we were removed, and our power usurped by another, that the safeguards which protect the Empire from destruction at the hands of its foes would be completely done away with. Your leader seeks to tear down those safeguards... to harness the destructive power of the nations of the world and bring his vision of the future to reality. He fails to see... that such an endeavor is folly. That in his attempt to provide for the future of the Empire... he will bring it crumbling to the ground."

She tilted her head, "I ask that you only be cautious when you go about doing his will. Making friends for him, fighting his battles, acquiring wealth for him, all could possibly be a completely diplomatic endeavor... or it could bring about massive civil war and death... destroy the Hantei line... and push the world into imbalance in a way that would be difficult to ever repair in our lifetimes.

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:32 am 

"Then, tell me what you can. Tell me how you learned the Emperor's name."

Carries: Wakizashi, Rapier, Tools
Speaks: Rokugani, Merenaese, Thranish, Sign
Accompanied By: Nari

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:42 am 

"They are two separate secrets... One I cannot speak of as it is our sacred duty passed down from Muhaki until now. But I can tell you that if Jama were to assert authority over this thing... that war within the year would be a very real possibility. The other, the knowledge of Jama's father's identity was a result of him being here when he was a small child and there being people here who still remember this truth. And I do not feel the desire to endanger them by telling an ardent supporter of Jama who these people are. I have already aligned a target on my own back by talking to you... I cannot endanger anyone else." She replied.

"But needless to say... Jama assumes that it is his right to claim the holdings of the house of Cornejo which have gone to other families since Teodoro's disappearance."

Last edited by Muhaki Berena on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:58 am 

"But, it is not." he said resolutely. "Don Ricardo clearly left the Cornejo name to his eldest, his daughter, even If he didn't make it clear to her. I will defend her in that, even against him."

"As for the rest, I understand. If there is anything I can do, however, please advise me when the time comes."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:02 am 

Who is this woman? If she is what you say... she will need protection in case Jama is not as merciful as you make him up to be...

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:09 am 

"I agree fully, though he has told me directly that he wishes her no harm." he nodded. "You know her, and her husband. We talked about them before."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:15 am 

Her mind worked at the problem for a moment before her eyes opened, "Rita... Jose is her husband. You canno... They have a chil... They want nothing to do with this! They ran away to find a new life... and now this chases them here."

She put a hand to her face and sighed, "What does he want from them?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:21 am 

"I don't know." he admitted. "I was afraid he'd want her dead. He may want her support or to use her in some way. He may want to protect her. I know that was a possibility before they left. He wants to tell her himself, though. I would leave her in peace, but I promised her I'd help her find her father. And, there's no hiding now."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:23 am 

She sighed, "Have you talked to her already?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:02 am 

"Not yet." he shook his head. "I am going to talk to Jose tonight."

"I did not know they had a child."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:03 am 

She let out a sigh, "Does Jama? You can't tell him..."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:07 am 

"Not before we arrived, but now?" He sighed. "I would assume so."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:12 am 

"I must inform Juanito... You could have helped considerably if you had told me all this when I asked the first time by the way..." She sighed. "Whatever you may think... I have no grudge against the Empire. I serve the Throne. I have chosen to be who I am, and who I am is Muhaki Berena."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:19 am 

"As do I. It is because of the Throne that I could say nothing. The Emperor has kept this secret throughout his reign. I learned it through extraordinary means, but that does not give me liberty to divulge secrets of the Throne." he explained. "Katarina's secret was not mine to share either. I do so now only because I am certain you would learn it soon enough."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:31 am 

"I think you could make known these revelations you receive from Cornejo a bit more readily. This is gift you have Edogawa. For what purpose do you have it if not to use it as a force of good in the world; to use the insight of the past to protect the future? The legacy of Cornejo may not be in your blood, but it is in your soul... and it is yours to wield as you choose. What type of world do you think should be? I asked you once what 'progress' means to you... If you are to figure out what this gift means and how to use it, I think you'll need to find that purpose in your life which extends beyond Jama's vague impressions." She said with a resolute look.

"You appear to be an important man in these times... I hope you will become important for the right reasons."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:52 am 

"And, if I told you that it is the Cornejo in me that believes in Jama?" He asked. "That I believe he follows Ricardo's will, who honors Teodoro's? What I have seen in Hohiro does not suggest any fondness for this part of his heritage, much the opposite. Katarina certainly could represent the Cornejo name, but has no love for the Empire. Only Jama is willing to walk in both worlds, as his father did. As Teodoro did. Maybe there's no hope there, either, but then there's little else."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:06 am 

From what I know of the man... he was never one to follow anyone else blindly. The people who respected him did so on his own abilities and not because he hitched his star to another, more ‘noble’ star. He carved his own destiny... one he knew to be right. I doubt that Cornejo would want you to behave any differently. Just because you don’t see an option, doesn’t mean there isn’t one there. I truly doubt Ricardo would want to see his sons acting the way they are... and I doubt their grandfather would either.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:30 am 

"You're wrong. He may have been bold and ambitious, but he served the Crown, until it turned against him. He served the Throne as well, while he could. He wanted the best for both nations." He shook his head. "Teodoro set something in motion. Ricardo continued it. I feel certain of that. The edict of the Explorer's came from Don Ricardo, including the liberties he authorized Jama to take. He sent Jama out here."

"However, I have reason to believe that Ricardo deviated from the course Teodoro set. And, there is a danger of Jama following his own ambitions. That may be why Teodoro returned." Edogawa nodded. "Maybe I'm meant to guide his grandchildren, to keep them from making his mistakes and to help them fufill whatever he intended."

He shrugged. "Failing that, I'm here to stop whatever you fear will happen."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:13 am 

"You can follow your own path and still be loyal... If Cornejo didn't see the world differently than both the Throne and the King he wouldn't have been who he was; he never followed blindly. You put too much faith in blood I say... men and women are more than the families they were born to. If Rita doesn't want the legacy of Cornejo, then she shouldn't be forced to take it... and just because a man is born someone's son doesn't mean that it is their destiny to follow in his footsteps. Far too often in this world blood-ties and one's propensity for violence are used to justify 'righteous behavior'. But that is not what life should be... blood affords no man a claim to righteousness... It is not 'might is right'. It should be 'Might for right'. If Ricardo or his son have erred in their path... then they no longer walk in the footsteps of greater men. We are who we choose to be."

She paused, "I know it might sound strange coming from a Merenaese noble... but the Quijano have never believed it is our name alone that grants the right to rule. Virtue is not maintained by blood... it is maintained by repeated acts of Virtue. Those who use their name as the main basis of their authority are usually the ones that don't deserve it."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:42 am 

"If she doesn't want it, she can walk away from it, but I know how firmly she held on to it. I don't want her to think she can't claim that legacy." he said. "Why do you think I'm blind? I've watched Jama's actions longer and more closely than you have. That's true for his brother as well. You can't be the son of the Imperial Matchmaker without hearing tales of your cousins, good and bad. Of course, mother's definitions of good and bad aren't the same as mine. My opinion of and loyalty to Jama are not blind. I do have questions about some of what he does. I have questions about many things, including you. Until I have clear answers, however, I'm not going to assume things that are contrary to what I currently know."

"Now, do you have clear knowledge and understanding of the situation on the mainland and of either brother's disposition, that indicates your belief is more valid than mine?" He shrugged. "Perhaps you do. There's clearly something I am unaware of. I understand your suspicions. I do. But, I think your focus may be too narrow. I don't think we can clearly understand what Jama intends, until we understand the Emperor's intentions. More than the Prince, he is the reason we are out here. Why does Don Ricardo want us out here?"

Page 2 of 3 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next