Login FAQ  
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:24 am

Page 3 of 3 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: Truth Made Manifest (D7, LA)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:58 am 

"When the actions of a man contradict what we supposedly 'know'... we must reconsider what we think to be true. People are what they do, not what is said about them. I am comfortable with watching the actions of men and making estimations to what their intentions are; and using those reference points to predict what types of actions they may do in the future. To suggest one not formulate such opinions because they do not know everything is one way how good men convince themselves to do nothing to stop evil. I just hope it isn't too late when you realize that plank you are being made to walk isn't one of your own choosing. Cornejo already suffered one unfortunate end at the hands of overly ambitious men... I'd hate to see the same mistake repeated again in his 'next' life."

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:06 am 

"So, your opinion of him when we first met was based on direct observation?"

Carries: Wakizashi, Rapier, Tools
Speaks: Rokugani, Merenaese, Thranish, Sign
Accompanied By: Nari

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:09 am 

"As I said to you then... By their fruits ye shall know them. Each further bit of knowledge I have acquired through observation has only added evidence to that general hypothesis. I wish I could find evidence otherwise... then maybe I could understand where you are coming from." She replied.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:58 am 

"I shouldn't even be here. Losing one of our ships and adding to tensions with the Tortoise was enough to earn his wrath. I assumed I wasn't punished a year ago solely because I was needed to construct the fleet. But, I wasn't needed for the voyage, especially after that garden party." he shrugged. "But, here I am. I assumed I was supposed to fix the problem I had created, as my mother suggested. I was relieved when he told me he didn't want that. He could be manipulating and misleading me, as you've suggested. I do not doubt that he has the capacity to do horrible things. That's what so many of those stories told me. But, what I have seen and experienced has shown very little of it. That doesn't mean I don't question his actions or worry about things he may do. However, the more I see and the more I recall of my former life, the less I think this is about him. He didn't bring us out here. We were sent out here."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:08 am 

"For what? What have you seen in your dreams?" She asked.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:43 am 

"Most of what I have seen was regarding Ricardo. I assumed that was because of Katarina. That could be." he shrugged again. "But, it was clear that, while he was being raised by Teodoro, Ricardo was visiting and being taught by his mother. He hated her at times. She could be cruel, demeaning him for his foreign blood. She was ashamed of her attraction to Teodoro."

"Regardless, his existence was kept secret. Even when he took the Throne, the truth of who he was was hidden and erased. I think that is why he left Katarina his blade. She hadn't been born yet. It was the only thing he could leave and the only way to preserve that part of him." He pondered the idea for a moment. "But, I think Teodoro had something else planned for him, too. Maybe the thing your family was involved in. Whatever it was, he left it behind when he sailed for the Empire. I think I saw him doing so in the mists yesterday. He said he would take a different path, after saying that children pay for the sins of their parents and that changing the world is hard without engaging in some evil."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:37 pm 

She tilted her head, "Sounds a lot like family drama to me..."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:11 pm 

"Which is really what all of this is." He spread his hands wide. "But, family drama like this affects nations. Maybe more. Or, maybe it's nothing. I don't even know if what I saw was true. I don't know which realm the spirit passage in the mists connected us to. I don't think it was the Realm of the Hungry Dead. It didn't feel like it did before."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:29 pm 

"It affects nations if we let it... Would you feel comfortable with thousands and thousands of deaths on your hands as a result of trying to figure out why Ricardo's mama didn't like him? When people die sometimes there are no answers for it... or even if there are answers, they should be left to the imagination. We have to fill in the blanks; find ways to fill the void that those people left. When we start digging up the past and trying to reincarnate that which is gone... we sacrifice the people here and now that require our attention. Filling the void left by those in the past with vain ambition and delusions of grandeur will only lead to sorrow. There is a saying in Merenae: 'The road to Hell is paved with good intentions'. Even if this voyage is some honest search for one's roots... if it brings death and destruction on others, it was not worth it."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:42 pm 

"If war is coming, it is coming, regardless of what Jama gains out here. If he is what you say, he will find whatever means to fight his brother wherever and however he can. There's already been bloodshed, regardless." There was frustration there. "But, if that isn't his primary purpose out here, if that isn't our primary purpose, than we may be able to help him find another way. I believe that to be the case, but I will not trust it blindly. Nor, will I oppose it blindly. There's too much of a risk, either way. More needs to be known."

He looked around. "Why did you come here, anyway?"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:43 pm 

She tilted her head, "To check some manifests, like I told you."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:23 pm 

"I don't want to keep you from it." he smiled. "We clearly view things differently. But, our goals are not so different. We want what is best for our people. If I see a clear threat to that, I will inform you. I hope you will do the same for me."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:28 pm 

"That's what I've been doing all along... If you ever find evidence of your claims, I'll always be around to listen. Unless your friend finds me to be too dangerous before that happens." She said with a polite bow.

"Have a good afternoon Senor Milla."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:35 pm 

He returned the bow. "I hope the same for you, senorita Muhaki."

"In regard to dangers, though." he added. "That passage into the spirit realms is a significant one. Do you know where I might learn more about it?"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:39 pm 

"A theological treatise or some sort maybe? Or some drunken sailor in a bar... both have their uses probably." She said, unsure.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:47 pm 

"Probably the second one, I think." he shrugged. "Any local legends that might suggest how it formed could help. The treatise I'll look for as I get a better idea of what it is."

"I hope you find what you are looking for." he offered as he departed.

/exit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:06 pm 

Bellena would spend the remaining time that afternoon studying the boat manifests from the early times on the island and making a register of names of Thranish captains.

/scene

DescriptionTheme

Page 3 of 3 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3