Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

Page 1 of 3 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Truth Made Manifest (D7, LA)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:01 pm 

Bellena walked through the streets of the port toward the lighthouse and its offices just adjacent to the main structure. She was seeking to go inside and investigate a bit of old manifest that she hoped still existed when she saw a familiar face walking down the road coming towards her. She nodded her head in greeting, "Señor Milla."

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

Post subject: Re: Truth Made Manifest (D7, LA)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:05 pm 

"Muhaki-san." he dipped his head. "I hope your days have been pleasant?"

Carries: Wakizashi, Rapier, Tools
Speaks: Rokugani, Merenaese, Thranish, Sign
Accompanied By: Nari

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:16 pm 

She chuckled, "As pleasant as they can be Milla Teodoro."

She smiled, "How have you been? Finding the answers you're looking for?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:20 pm 

"I can't say that I have." he shook his head. "I sailed with Kitsu-sama after the meeting, yesterday. We found an interesting island, but I doubt it will tell me much about my previous life. Have you found answers to your questions?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:23 pm 

"I believe I have found some of them... but I do have so many questions." She said with a chuckle.

"I was about to step in here and do a bit of research. Would you like to join me for some coffee? I know the official here."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:27 pm 

"I would like that." he nodded. "I am curious as to what you've found. Perhaps, I'll be able to add context to some things."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:36 pm 

She nodded and went inside. After a brief conversation with the clerk, they were led to a room where a great number of ship manifests were stored. She thanked the clerk and nodded her thanks as coffee was brought for the pair.

After situating herself at a table she looked across it to Edogawa, "So... where do we begin? Perhaps I could ask you your opinion of the meeting we attended together yesterday..."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:41 pm 

"It was unusual." he admitted. "Calling for justice against Hawthorne and Thrane was unexpected. I am unsure of the motivation behind it."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:43 pm 

She nodded, "And the assertion of the Prince to revoke Tortoise responsibilities and send his servants to the courts of Merenae and the Tarkhanate? What are your thoughts on this?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:55 pm 

"It isn't unusual." he replied. "The Lion are the Right Hand of the Emperor, the military might of the Throne. But, any clan can and has been called on to battle for the Empire, as have the Imperial Families and, specifically, the Imperial Legions. The Crane are the Left Hand, the Emperor's political power and leaders of culture, but so is the Otomo family and the Miya serve as his voice. We have all been given roles by the Hantei. Those roles however, can and do change. I don't think the Tortoise will be diminished by this, however. Their role may actually become much bigger."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:07 pm 

She shook her head, "The establishment of the Imperial Legions was supported with corresponding proclamations from the Throne which delineate the proper duties of the Lion and the Crane in relation to the Imperial Legions and is officiated over the Office of the Emerald Champion as was set out at the inception of Rokugani law. This has no proclamation attached with it... it has no guidance on what our role is to be... and it revokes that which was granted to us by the Hantei. If you think this is an expansion of our power... I can't imagine how you would reach that conclusion. Do you think the Throne would have issued such a proclamation on its own...? Why is it the case that this was not done while the Explorers were still on the mainland?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:18 pm 

"But, the Emperor did issue that proclamation." he shook his head. "He decreed the reestablishment of the Imperial Explorer's and the expansion of the Imperial Navy, under the Imperial Admiral, Hantei Jama-no kimi. The purpose is specifically for maritime exploration, and to claim new assets for the Empire through various means."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:29 pm 

She shook her head, "Please indicate where it defines what our role is to be. What his role is in those things... he exceeds the mandate in every way Edogawa... and forces his vision on the Explorers through the threat of violence and suppression. He then threatens war with foreign nations and then seeks to put himself in our place, saying we were a preparatory tool... For what purpose Edogawa? I don't see why you can't see the forest for the trees. He's not doing this for kicks and giggles or some altruistic good of the 'Empire'... just as he didn't take our assets on the mainland on a whim. He has a plan... And he is moving through each step of that plan without contention because he has a crew of supporters who don't see the danger he brings to their home."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:46 pm 

"The Emperor's edict allowed for any measures to be taken under the Admiral's authority, including the directive against Thrane. That may very well have come from the Throne, itself."

He held up his hands and looked around. The room seemed private enough.

"Tell me. Did you learn what Muhaki and Teodoro hid?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm 

She shook her head, "I cannot believe you don't see it... Those duties were granted to us at our inception... and he takes them for himself and leaves us with nothing. It is as I told you before... we are something to be usurped and re-purposed for his own aims."

She then sighed and pondered something for several moments, "The two were good friends... very much like family one would say."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:08 pm 

"Nothing more? Regarding the Cornejo?" he sighed. "He didn't take them. They were given to him. Even so, the Tortoise still have their duties, including one outside of what you refer to."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:20 pm 

She stopped, "I think you may have missed what I implied... Muhaki was known to be close with his niece and to Teodoro...There is a degree of familial closeness between the group of them... and a willingness to hide perhaps some things that could rend the Empire apart if were public knowledge."

She chuckled at the latter assertion, "He was 'given' them... *chuckle* Because he's just so patient and kind... And the other responsibility you refer to... do we still have that responsibility? ALL things foreign could potentially be under his supervision with the universally ambiguous nature of his duties. Perhaps he would like to re-purpose those assets in the near future as well... which would certainly make sense when we think of why he would expedite the preparation for this voyage by seizing our holdings and take a terrible risk by leaving his brother alone to ascend the throne if something unfortunate were to happen to Don Ricardo..."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:00 pm 

He nodded appreciatively and sighed again.

"Muhaki was her grand uncle." he clarified. "And yes, given. Why wouldn't the Emperor give him that authority? Why wouldn't the Emperor wish to expand the influence of the Empire? Why wouldn't the Emperor wish justice against Hawthorne and Thrane? Why wouldn't he entrust all of that to the son most interested in pursuing it? Consider all that the Emperor learned from Muhaki and Teodoro, about Thrane, about Merenae, about the Moto and the Ki-Rin. Don Ricardo's mother may have called him back to the Empire, but that doesn't mean he forgot everything out here."

"As for the other responsibility. That's up to you. There is still one more heir and, like her father, she's been hidden among the Tortoise, left for them to protect. Unlike him, he didn't raise her in both worlds. The only thing he left her was the blade of the Cornejo."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:22 pm 

"You think he wished to give his son the tools to depose his older brother...? To set his sons against each other in a zero-sum game for control of the Empire? To start a world-scale war over titles and holdings that would tear apart his own family's legitimacy at the very core? To take vengeance on the Thranish children and grandchildren of men who are no longer alive?"

She shook her head, "If this was what the Emperor wanted, he could have easily made Jama to be the Crown Prince... I do not follow the logic of an Emperor willfully granting authority to his own son that will lead to massive civil war... and quite possibly the destruction of the Empire. Jama has used his power and authority to assume this position he know holds... and now seeks to gain further power, new allies, and additional wealth that will allow him to act on his desires."

She then tilted her head, "This other heir... you think that is the other great duty of the Tortoise? If so, you talk a big game... but lack some crucial information on what it is we are doing out here... and how we prevent the world from falling into conflict."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:57 pm 

"That was your duty. The initial directives given to Muhaki and Teodoro were always tentative. They were largely secret and, again, could be overwritten at any time as has happened to other clans. Under Retsuhime, however, they had the task of protecting her heir, even if Muhaki, Teodoro and a few others were the only ones who knew. Do you consider that less important? Do you consider protecting a current heir less important, especially if there is war coming?"

He paused for a moment.

"I do not deny that war may be coming or that Jama may be gathering resources and armies for such. But, the hostility I have seen hasn't come from him or his supporters. There are some Progressivists who have acted aggressively, I'm certain of that. But, I know the Traditionalists have. They would have cut down the Merenaese in Dragon's Guard."

Another pause.

"I am certain I do not know everything that is going on. I do not think any of us do. Jama may be doing everything you say, but there's something else out here. Whether you accept it or not, all of this is the will of the Emperor. His edict. That means he wanted us out here. If you don't believe that Jama is pursuing that purpose, help me discover what the true purpose is."

Page 1 of 3 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next