Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Daughters of Shinjo and Doji (D8, LE)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:29 pm 

Considering the guest, Utsusemi had prepared some of the best tea she had brought with her.

Rukaya had been a pleasure to talk to in such a public setting, and having the chance to speak with her now in a more relaxed atmosphere, to learn about the travels of the Ki-rin and how they became the Unicorn and part of this Tarkhanate... it was all very exciting, but she also was deeply thinking over what she would tell the Iuchi of the history of Rokugan. She was hardly a historian herself, but Utsusemi was determined to make an effort.

A lit lantern was put up outside the Yomogiu, to light the way for her guest.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

Post subject: Re: Daughters of Shinjo and Doji (D8, LE)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:24 pm 

There's soon a knock at the door of Yomogiu, signalling the arrival of the intended guest.

Carries/Owns: Wakizashi, Tanto, Musket, Fan
Speaks: Rokugani, Mekhem, Yobanjin, Merenaese, Ujik-hai, Senpet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:31 pm 

And the door was answered by Utsusemi herself. Unlike the day before, she now wore a traditional kimono, with autumnal motifs as was fitting for the season... well, at least fitting to the season back home in Rokugan. "Iuchi-san, welcome," she bowed respectfully to her guest. "I'm so very happy you could come. Please, come inside and be at home."

The entryway had a place for people to leave their shoes, it seems, and on closer inspection Utsusemi wasn't wearing any footwear besides tabi.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:45 am 

Ruqqayah returned the bow. "Agasha-san, thank you for having me this evening." She stepped inside and deliberately stepped out of her shoes, turning them so they faced outward after she stepped onto the floor proper. Her movements were careful, as if she was carefully going through the steps in her head.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:48 am 

"It's my pleasure," the Agasha smiled happily, showing Rukaya inside to the common room where there was tea and a small selection of candied fruits and nuts. "I have prepared a tea from the lands of the Doji, my birthplace. It made me remember some of the stories I heard as a child, as we often heard about the noble Kami and their actions."

She chuckled a little, as it made her reminisce about her own childhood. "We were told that the Lady Shinjo and the Lady Doji were both very fond of eachother, being the only sisters among the Kami. So when Lady Shinjo led her Clan out into the unknown world, Lady Doji bestowed upon her many fine gifts for her journey; a small fan made of sandalwood that would remind her that Rokugan was also with them during her journey, a netsuke that Lady Shinjo promised to always carry with her to remind her of her beloved sister, and a mirror that she could look into to see the home and family waiting for her in Rokugan. I admit, having gone on this journey, I sometimes wish I too possessed a mirror like that."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:34 pm 

The young Unicorn woman followed, taking a deep breath when she entered the room. "The scent of the tea is lovely. I've never encountered anything quite like it."

She smiled as Ustusemi recounted a bit of the stories she'd heard when she was young. "We grew up with that story, as well. The fan is still kept and protected by Lady Shinjo's descendants. The netsuke... may still be with Shinjo herself..." Her expression saddened a touch at that, but she didn't swell on it, continuing. "The mirror... the mirror turned out to be instrumental during our history, when our path of return to Rokugan was blocked."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:56 pm 

There were simple but comfortable cushions around the table for sitting, and Utsusemi chose a place opposite of her guest, lifting the teapot to pour. There was an expression of pleasant surprise on her features as Rukaya spoke of the items being a story for the Unicorn children as well, but she did pick up on the sadness regarding Shinjo.

Pouring the tea, the first cup was passed to Rukaya. "This is called Gyokuro-Genmai: the dew of jewels. It is made through a process that involves strategic shading right when the buds of the plant open. Please, enjoy."

As she poured for herself, she couldn't help but to smile sincerely at it all. "It is a relief, and a joy too, to be honest, to hear that the same story is told with our long-lost kin, as well. That we still have these common threads of the past to relate to after our stories diverged."

"... I am no historian, but I will do my best to answer what questions you might have about the Empire and it's history in the time you've been gone. As my guest, I would be more than happy to accomodate you first."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:20 pm 

Ruqqayah accept the tea, picking it up in both hands and taking a moment to close her eyes and inhale the subtle, elegant scent before taking a sip. She didn't have as much of a way to differentiate different sorts of tea, yet, and wasn't sure what difference the shade might make, but... she exhales softly after swallowing. "This is delicious. Thank you for sharing it with me, Agasha-san."

"I have so many questions I don't even know where to start... Asking just what's happened since then in general seems too broad."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:28 pm 

"Hm, it is rather broad, yes, but it also does seem like the most logical question, does it not. Perhaps I should start with the noble siblings of our beloved Heavenly Ladies?" Utsusemi picked up her own cup, savouring every second of this cup of home. Strong teas had become her favourite in the past years, but there was something very pleasant about the light elegance of a Doji tea.

Seeing Rukaya enjoying the tea as well filled her with a gentle warmth, much like watching her younger sister, or daughter, when sampling a new flavour.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:49 pm 

"That sounds like an excellent idea," she agrees, her tone as warm as the tea they were drinking.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:06 pm 

Utsusemi nodded, and chewed on a candied date as she tried to settle her mind on the Kami. Most of it were tales she grew up hearing as a child, and some historians would probably find them inaccurate, but... well, as far as she knew, there weren't many historians along for the expedition. She herself was a storyteller.

"Lady Doji went on to shape the Empire and establish many of its traditions and norms; commerce, economics, the language of High Rokugani, culture and civilization. Most of this, she accomplished with her son, Doji Nio, and with the second Hantei, the son of the first Son of Heaven, the radiant Hantei Genji. She lived a long and noble life, longer than most of her siblings. In the end, it was only her and Lord Hida left. Having endured the loss of so many of her beloved siblings, the death of her dear husband Lord Kakita, and their children... even a Celestial being has limits."

"And so, on what would be her last day, she gifted her great-grandson Doji Sasageru with the armor that would be known as Sasageru - said to have been a physical manifestation of the Lady's honor and nobility to protect her line, and she went down to the beach at the palace of the Doji. As the sun set, she stood on a high rock and watched the ocean. The tide rose at her feet, and the waves crashed against the surrounding rocks. She looked up at the sky and saw the light of her mother, Lady Sun, fade away into sunset, casting its last rays of light on Lady Doji's home."

"The waves towered over her and crashed on the rocks on which she was standing. When the water receeded, the Lady Doji was nowhere to be found. Many went out to search for her, from the richest lords of the Crane to the lowliest fishers, but none could find her. It is said that Sasageru prayed to the Heavens and learned that his divine great-grandmother had become part of the ocean, and would forever watch over and protect her followers."

"The rocks on which she was seen the last time is a holy place the clan, called the Lady's Rest. A Clan Champion will spend a night in prayer there for the Lady's guidance prior to them assuming the Championship, and every year for the Chrysanthemum Festival, young maidens from all the clans are invited to decorate the place with flowers - as the Lady Doji will bestow upon them her blessings for a happy marriage, just as she had with Lord Kakita."

Utsusemi sipped her tea once more, before tackling the other Kami who had lived as long as Doji. Though it was clear, a little to her own embarassement, that it was the story of Doji she knew the best... which made sense, seeing as it was the legend she had grown up with since childhood.

"Lord Hida, who lived only a little longer than the Lady Doji, for a long time mourned the loss of his only son at the Day of Thunder. In the end, his mourning was broken by the divine Thunder Dragon, who descended from the Heavens out of her love of Lord Hida, and together they had a son; Hida Osano-Wo. Osano-Wo is... well, quite a chapter in his own right, to be honest, as he would ascend to become the Fortune of Fire and Thunder."

"While Lord Hida did love his son Osano-Wo very much, it would never make him forget his son Atarasi. 300 years ago, Lord Hida stepped down as Champion of the Crab Clan, and announced that he was going to find his lost son, took up his tetsubo and went into the southern lands that are still under the influence of the Fallen One, never to be seen again. Though many legends of his last journey still remain today; some who have travelled deeply into the corrupted lands have claimed to have seen two great men battling eachother, locked in an eternal stalemate, while some have heard stories of a sacred tomb erected by Hida-Kami's own hands that houses the remains of the Seven Thunders, its sanctity warding off those who would wish to destroy it."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:41 pm 

Ruqqayah's people hadn't been in the Empire for most of the development of its traditions, and were often more influenced by the cultures surrounding them. So the fact that she was a little less tied to the idea of maintaining a stoic face meant that Utsusemi heard a couple of sniffles as she described the end of her description of Doji's passing in particular. She hid her expression behind a sip of tea, though. She nods when she's finished describing what happened to Hida and Doji.

"Lady Shinjo is also no longer with us, as you may have learned... She sacrificed herself so her followers could escape from danger. She and most of her children were lost... But she made a promise that even if she left, she would always return. We still trust her, and believe she will one day."

She paused and turned her cup in her hands before looking up at Utsusemi. "By the way... something came up today I didn't recognize. What are the 'three cuts'?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:55 pm 

"I am sorry to hear of her loss... it must have been difficult for you, even more so if it was a danger that required such a noble sacrifice..." Utsusemi allowed herself to show more of the sympathy she felt than she normally would have, understanding that others did not have the subtle emotions that Rokugani were accustomed to.

Though Rukaya's question did surprise her. "... That is an unusual question. The three cuts is another term for seppuku," she thought for a moment on how to explain this. "Seppuku is a ritual a samurai undergoes to undo a horrible stain upon their honour and the honour of their family or clan - at the cost of their own life. Three cuts refer to the most decisive part of the ritual."

Her expression sobered considerably at such a serious topic.

"We all carry our wakizashi with us, not only as the symbol of our position as samurai, but also because it is our life and our honour. When a samurai must committ seppuku, it is done with the wakizashi. The three cuts then being how the wakizashi cuts..." she looked a little uncomfortable as she mimicked the gestures with her hands for Rukaya. "... Now I am curious as to what spurred such a question, Iuchi-san. It is often a dire circumstance that calls for such action from a samurai."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:20 am 

Ruqqayah schooled her face into as close as she could get to neutrality, a distant part of her mind noting that her brother had always been much better at that sort of thing. It was Rokugani custom, and she reminded herself that she was not in a position to judge foreign traditions. "Ah... I see. There was an encounter with a Jinn earlier today, one which uses humans with powerful spiritual influences or destinies as anchors to the human world. There was a concern of corruption resulting from this anchoring." She added, "Please forgive my reaction. For us, something like that would be in violation of our laws, so it just caught me a bit off guard. It's not bad, just surprising."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:28 am 

Jinn? Violation of laws? Anchoring?

That all sounded very confusing, but she did her best to seem understanding and patient. "Perhaps you could explain a bit more about this 'jin' and what happened, as well as these laws? I'm afraid I am a bit at loss here."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 am 

"My apologies... my brother was a better speaker than I am... I tend to get a little ahead of myself," she bowed her head toward Utsusemi. "I will... tell the part with the Jinn as a story, sort of. I was in the square in Little Aqahba earlier today when a lamp was thrown out into the middle. We had only moments to wonder what was going on before smoke rose from it and and formed itself into a shape that was human-like, but not human, with three eyes. It was a Jinn, a type of elemental spirit found in the Burning Sands. These creatures are not corrupt, but often run by their own purposes and sets of rules that are difficult for humans to understand. Most of the time, they are bound under human control by magic, but this one was not."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:28 am 

Some understanding came to her eyes, and she nodded. "Ah, yes... that makes a bit more sense. My yojimbo, Mirumoto Kenzo, was there when it happened and he told me some of it... though his explanation was a little confusing. He did say there was talk of a duel between two of our fellow explorers."

She frowned a little with some concern. "I am still not sure how it ties into with violation of your laws, unless there is something about fighting jinn?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:17 am 

"Oh... No one violated our laws. I was saying that as a reference to why your description of 'seppuku' was so surprising," she explained. "It's because our laws wouldn't allow a Unicorn to do something like that."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:32 am 

"Ah, I see. My forgiveness for the little misunderstanding then," she smiled and helped herself to some of the nuts. "Do you have any similar acts to restore one's honour then? It probably sounds a silly question, but it is such a cornerstone of Rokugani society, it would be hard to imagine it without it."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:35 am 

"I'm not sure... if we think of honor the same way you do," she replied thoughtfully. "So the question is a bit hard to answer."

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next