Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 6 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: [D9EM] In Case Of Fire
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:32 pm 

Slowly, Kenzo's eyes flickered open. He was awake, if only just. As usual, he was looking up at the ceiling of Utsusemi's room, and as usual, the scent and warmth of her still lingered. Kenzo reached out a hand to feel her side of the bed, as he so often did.

It's path was interrupted by Utsusemi herself, apparently not awake as she so often was at this hour. Kenzo sat up, looking at her with a fond smile. The last few weeks, he'd been a close witness to just how hard she'd been working on every aspect of the temple. He did his best to support her, of course, but there were things only she could do. But there were ways he could help out.

Kenzo leaned a little closer, peering at her face. Her breathing was still even, her eyes closed, but little flickers of consciousness were beginning to show, probably in part thanks to him poking her in the side. It wouldn't be long. He'd have to hurry.

But first, one last indulgence. Kenzo leaned just a little further, gently kissing her cheek, before agilely rising to his feet. Moving quietly, he slipped down the hallway, grabbing an underlayer before heading for the kitchen. He did like to surprise her; perhaps he would do so again now...

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

Post subject: Re: [D9EM] In Case Of Fire
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:59 pm 

Utsusemi stirred a little in response to the kiss, but was mostly still slumbering, judging by her response. "Don't disturb your father, Tsumugi..." she murmured, still not quite awake yet, but she was waking up, judging by the stretched out yawn that followed.

"Mmm..." she sat up slowly in bed, trying to take a moment to get her bearings. The temple had occupied much of her time the past days, and today was a self-imposed break. Kenzo was not beside her, she noted soon enough, but she could hear him moving in the house. It was him, right?

"Kenzo?" she called out as she get out of bed and started to put a simple robe over her sleeping clothes.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:08 pm 

Despite Kenzo's effots to take some of her duties, Utsu had been making more of the meals. Especially breakfasts; her habitual early rising had meant that she'd been the one to do that nearly every time.

Still, Kenzo did his part, and was fairly familiar with the kitchen. With practiced ease, he got the fire started, setting a pot of water on top of it to boil.

Alas, that was as far as he got before he heard Utsu calling his name. His lips compressed, just a little. Ah well. "I'm in the kitchen!" He called cheerfully back to her.

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:15 pm 

Oh. At least that was a relief, as she had for a brief moment been worried that it was something else.

"I will be right there," Utsusemi called back, and quickly pulled her hair back in a loose bun after fastening the robe. She stifled another yawn as she was still not feeling fully awake, and a few moments later she joined Kenzo in the kitchen.

"Good morning," she smiled a little drowsily as she saw him, leaning in for a morning kiss as she came closer.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:09 am 

When she came into the kitchen, Kenzo was just starting to lay out the ingredients he was planning to use. There was some fish, some rice, a few yams, and a handful of other things, all laid out, along with the cutlery.

He looked up with a warm smile as she entered, his eyes lighting up at her sleepy appearance. "Good morning, Utsusemi." He leaned in to meet her kiss, enjoying the moment of tenderness.

"I'd hoped to surprise you with breakfast." He said, giving her a wry smile. "Looks like I'm not quite fast enough."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:22 am 

"Oh..." Utsusemi's eyes widened a little in surprise, and she smiled bashfully. "Sorry... I'm so used to doing it."

Her eyes remained on him for a while before looking to the preparations he had made. "Can I help then?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:03 am 

"Hmm..." Kenzo hesitated a moment, looking at her. He smiled. "That sounds perfect, actually. I was just thinking that with so many tasks, even the Mirumoto technique doesn't provide enough hands."

He gestured to the supplies. "Perhaps I'll get started on the fish. After all, I know how good you are at peeling yams." He gave her a smirk. "Or... actually, perhaps I'll give you first choice. Would you prefer to see the niten technique applied to fish, or to yams?"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:31 am 

Utsusemi broke into an easy smile at his jab. "Hm... alright, let's see you do the fish then. Surely, even a fish should suffice as an adversary for a student of the Mirumoto, hm?" she teased with a little bit of that Kakita-barb in her tone. Of course, between the two of them, it was all just innocent play that carried no true malice or insult.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:10 am 

"Ooh." Kenzo grinned appreciation at her joke. "As usual, the Kakita strikes true." He touched a finger to the center of his chest. "It may not pierce deeply, but struck true nonetheless." His grin turned to a playful smirk, enjoying the interplay between them.

He shifted, giving her space next to him. "In that case, you can take the familiar job of yam peeling. This is a rather more comfortable environment than when we last did it, though." He leaned over, nudging her side with his elbow.

"Did you sleep well?" He asked, giving her a quick glance as he began to trim the fish. "You slept in; that's good, I think. You deserve a chance to rest after all the work you've done on the temple."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:29 am 

"Hm, it certainly is more roomy and more pleasant here, than back on the ship," Utsusemi chuckled, starting with rinsing her hands as she gave Kenzo a small wink. "Not that I minded the company terribly."

Picking up the knife for peeling, she met his glance as he looked in her direction. Her smile seemed at ease and pleasant. "I guess I did sleep in... who knew the beginning work for a temple was so tiresome, hm? But, at least I slept well, yes." Her head nodded gently, her hands beginning on the first yam. Not that she had been doing the heaviest of the work, but even then she hadn't shied away from helping where it was needed.

"And you? You fell asleep first, I recall, judging by your breathing."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:54 am 

The wink made Kenzo laugh softly. "Nor did I. Although, I am glad to spend time with you without Berena watching on."

It seemed Kenzo had cleaned fish before; he worked quickly and efficiently cleaning off the scales. "Mmm." He murmured. "It's not something I'd ever thought about before. I expected a great deal of the physical labor." He'd helped out with that when needed, from time to time. "It's the sheer amount of organization that I didn't expect." Most of what he'd done there was support Utsu. "I suppose I should have, but I didn't."

He looked up, giving her a smile. "Oh, yes? I remember listening to your breathing. Until I fell asleep I suppose." He chuckled softly. "But I did, yes. I've never had a problem sleeping, but I feel that I sleep better here, somehow." He shrugged.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:36 am 

Watching his hands move with such confident skill, Utsusemi paused in her own task to watch him work.

"Really?" she mused. "Because of better company, or that you feel more at peace here?" She looked down as she smiled sheepishly, turning the peeling knife a little between her fingers. "I guess, to be honest, I've been sleeping better lately too..."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:59 am 

Feeling Utsu's eyes on him, Kenzo couldn't help himself. He made the next few cuts with a flourish, twirling the knife with his fingers. "Niten." He said, shooting her a quick grin.

"Mmm." His grin grew fond. "I'm confident that the company is a large part of that." He shrugged. "But... I've never really lived like this before. Not since I've become an adult, anyway. Always by myself, staying outdoors, or in one strange place or another..." He shrugged again.

"You have." Kenzo looked at her, as the water behind them began to quietly boil. He smirked. "May I turn your question around, then?"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:07 am 

Utsusemi watched his little flourish with the knife, chuckling quietly with amusement at his deft fingers. Well, she knew he had a certain skill with them, but it was fun to see them show off their talent in a different way.

She had some questions too, but she figured they could wait, as it was only fair that she answered the question he had turned back at her.

"Hm..." she thought it over, turning the yam in her hand as she peeled it carefully. No point in cutting herself so early in the day. "It is nice... sleeping next to you. It feels same and comforting." As she chuckled, there was a hint of guilt in her expression. "Though, I suppose it is a little bit nice to not being woken up by the children early in the morning when I really just want to sleep a little bit longer."

"Not that I don't miss them, of course," Utsusemi added quickly, "but... I guess it's hard to explain."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:49 am 

Kenzo grinned, pausing a moment to look at her. Indeed, sleeping next to Utsusemi was something that had been a great and unexpected comfort to him.

"Oh?" He paused again, his look at Utsu more sympathetic as the boiling water behind them began to rise higher. "Believe me, Utsu, I understand. He pursed his lips. "Or... perhaps not exactly. But the general idea." He gave her a crooked smile. "But missing someone doesn't mean that you miss all of them. I do greatly enjoy my expeditions, but when I compare the comforts here with sleeping in the cold and wet..." He chuckled softly.

Kenzo cleared his throat. "Not that I mistake a scientific expedition with children, of course. But I think I understand, nevertheless. You do clearly love them very much."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:58 am 

She seemed a little relieved as he understood what she meant, and she gave a nod. "Yes. Just like that," Utsusemi said, reminiscing with a playful smile. "I mean, it is nice to not being woken up to Tsumugi chasing after her brother because he found a frog and put it in her bed."

Hearing the water starting to hiss and spit over being ignored, Utsusemi turned her head in the direction of the sound. "Water is ready, O master chef of Niten."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:49 am 

The fond smile Kenzo gave her quickly turned mildly incredulous, and he gave a surprised laugh. "Really? A frog in the bed?" He shook his head, chuckling. "I've woken up a time or two with wildlife in my bed. If someone had been responsible, I'd probably chase them, too."

Turning, Kenzo managed to keep his startled look to a minimum. "Ah. Yes. Right." With a sheepish grin, his face lightly flushed, Kenzo picked up the bag of rice. A few steps, a little adjustment, and the pot was boiling happily, cooking the rice. Kenzo's smile grew wry. "Thank you, Utsu. I appreciate you covering my blind spots."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:41 pm 

"And here I thought you would be responsible for any wildlife that might show up in your bed," her chuckle was warm and she picked up the next yam for peeling.

"Mhm, I know how easy it is to forget the water. I..." Utsusemi blushed a little, "have forgotten it a few times myself, so half the water is boiled away when I remember." And then there wouldn't be enough water to properly cook the rice.

"But it's easier when there's two of us, yes?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:01 pm 

Kenzo chuckled as well. "It may be that there's been a time or two when I gathered a specimen but didn't contain it quite as well as I should have."

The rice under control, Kenzo moved back to the worktable. As he passed Utsu, he leaned in, kissing her cheek. "Once those are peeled and cut up, the rice should be far enough along to add them." He said softly.

He stepped back to his position. The fish had already been cooked whole, and he'd managed to remove most of the skin and bones at this point. "It is much easier with two of us, yes." He shot her a quick smile. "It's been very pleasant, I'll admit, to wake up to a meal that you already prepared for me. But I like this, too." he gestured at each of them. "Perhaps I should have been joining you, making sure the water wasn't boiling over."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:11 pm 

"Somehow that does not surprise me," Utsusemi grinned, though it softened into a warm smile as she felt the peck on her cheek.

She nodded thoughtfully, glancing at him with fondness. "... I like this better. Working together, I mean." In truth, it felt a little more peaceful, and less stressful... considering how often she fretted over making everything just right. This on the other hand made it seem easier.

"But maybe I should sleep in tomorrow so you can surprise me, like you planned to?" another wink was given in his direction.

Theme #5Profile

Page 1 of 6 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next