Login FAQ  
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 4 of 6 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: [D9EM] In Case Of Fire
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:24 pm 

"It might." Kenzo said. He, too, picked up his chopsticks, having carefully arranged everything on his plate. "My chief hope would be that the Dragon finds my research interesting enough that it may become my primary duty, instead of my secondary one. That may be a bit premature to hope for, though."

He took a bite, his eyebrows rising in pleased surprise. "Mmmm. But, yes. In the meantime, that may be the direction my duties take me." He looked at her, his expression serious. "Although I shouldn't like to be guarding just anyone. You... could influence that, I dare to hope? You mentioned travel, when it is possible..." He waved his chopsticks vaguely.

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:36 pm 

Utsusemi had a mouthful of the fish, nodding approvingly at its flavour. Damnit, even Kenzo is a better cook than me... this is good.

Her eyes lowered a little as the topic became a little more serious. "... It would be easier for you to become Ryuden-sama's yojimbo, I think. Because of his close affiliation with prince Jama, I am a little concerned for the actions of the other prince... I do not think he would do anything openly, but it is better that he is guarded."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:53 pm 

Kenzo was wordless, or at least speechless, for a few moments. He ate, his forehead creased in the manner it did when he was thinking. "Hmmm." Another few moments passed. "I can think of a lot of reasons why I would find that to be a good thing." He said, his tone a little hesitant. He glanced at Utsu. "I confess that I may feel a little strange around Ryuden-sama, now." His lips twisted. "But I can do my duty, and conceal whatever personal feelings I may have."

He sighed. "We may have to see when we return. There's too much that we don't know. The political situation sounds as though it may become fraught." He first frowned, then smiled, down into his porridge. "This is heavy breakfast conversation."

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:09 pm 

She nodded slowly. When they returned, it couldn't be like this anymore... whatever feelings she had for Kenzo she could not show again easily.

"... It is perhaps too heavy of a topic for breakfast," Utsusemi agreed, dropping it for now. "What plans do you have for the day?"

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:21 pm 

Kenzo's eyes lingered on Utsu a moment longer before he nodded, taking another bite of the porridge. In truth, he was starting to worry about the future as well. Optimism could only do so much, and political realities might make his determination to keep something of their relationship going difficult, if not impossible.

He did brighten a little at her question. "Ah!" He smiled. "It seems that my talents on Gusai-sama's expedition have impressed Miya Suihime-sama. She's invited me to accompany her on another expedition today." His lips twisted. "I'm not quite so optimistic as to think we might match the giant turtle, but I do hope we find something."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:50 pm 

"Ah, really?" she smiled, pushing aside her concern for now behind a courtier's mask.

"Sounds like you get to go on all these great adventures... I envy you a little, but I know I would not be of much use for such missions. Maybe you will find a large whale with an island on it's back this time?" Utsusemi suggested with a playful smile, remembering how excited he had been about the turtle.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:21 pm 

Kenzo grinned back at her. "Have I ever told you, Utsusemi, how much I appreciate your imagination?" He chuckled fondly. "Truly, I should be almost as excited if I found a weasel no one had seen before. But we might as well continue to dream big."

He stirred his porridge around a bit. "It's true that my last expedition wouldn't have played to your strengths." Kenzo agreed slowly. "But you could still have a place." His lips curled up. "And you did quite well on our last trip, with Yogo-sama."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:40 pm 

Utsusemi's lips pursed with mild annoyance of that reminder. "You'll have to forgive me for not agreeing completely that it went well."

The rice-grains in her bowl were idly pushed around by the tips of her chopsticks.

"... I don't know. With the construction of the temple started, I guess I now have time for other pursuits, but... there's not much I can do."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:52 pm 

Kenzo winced sympathetically. "I'm sorry, Utsu. But... nevertheless, allow me to say that you impressed me with your determination." He inclined his head to her.

He looked down at his bowl, smiling. "I remember... goodness, back in Dragon's Guard. I mentioned that I hoped you could come on an expedition of mine someday. I do still hope for that."

"But as for what to do here..." Kenzo shrugged. "Perhaps something on the diplomatic side? I've heard that both the locals and the explorers look up to you." He smiled. "I can personally vouch for the later."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:06 pm 

"Perhaps, but there are already others who are handling such things, such as Seppun Hinami-san," Utsusemi had to honestly admit to herself that she had not paid that much attention to the politics going on on the island, as she felt she had not really helped with her focus being so solid on the temple construction.

"... Maybe I will just take the time to paint and work on my art, when I'm not needed elsewhere. I'm actually surprised I haven't been called upon as a healer much lately, even if I'm not complaining. It's nice to know that people are managing well enough." She mused a little. "But it would be fun to come with you on an expedition someday. Just hopefully not one with much mud."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:42 pm 

Kenzo gave her a smile. "If you haven't been called upon as a healer much, I can only say that's a good thing." He said with dry humor. "But working on your art... yes." Kenzo nodded. "Speaking personally, I always enjoy seeing it. I would love to see more."

His smile became a grin. "But not as much as I would love that. And I'm sure an expedition could be arranged without mud." He rubbed his chin thoughtfully for a few moments. "Let me see what I can do. PerhapsI'll check with Genta-sama. I expect he and his people know this area as well as anyone."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:55 pm 

"Well, there's two masks to make, so that is a start," Utsusemi smiled a little shyly, before having another morsel of food.

As Kenzo spoke, she nodded thoughtfully to his suggestion while working on the breakfast.

"... That sounds like a good idea," she said after swallowing. "I mean, there must be some nicer places on the island for getting a better impression of flora and fauna, without deadly hornets or mud... although, hmm..."

The chopsticks tapped against her bowl. "I'm a little concerned with the volcanic activity we saw the other day. Do you think it's in risk of erupting?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:26 pm 

The reminder of tomorrows event, and all the excitement that promised, won a charming smile from Kenzo.

At first, he nodded eagerly along with her, but the mention of the volcanic activity brought a frown to his face. "Hmmm. There did seem to be rather more activity I'd expect from a dormant volcano. Although even an active volcano can go years without erupting."

His frown deepened. "The volcano near Dragon's Guard was becoming active, too, wasn't it?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:31 pm 

"Mm... yes I think so? And there was the fire too when we went to Treacherous Pass." Even when frowning, there was something thoughtful about Utsusemi's expression.

"I wish I knew more about it to say anything for certain... I don't suppose volcanic activity was more a part of your studies?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:55 pm 

"To some extent, yes, actually. Even if it wasn't my speciality. Eruptions are the result of the release of pressure under the earth. The distances involved... hmm." Kenzo frowned. "I'm unsure. They may be connected. The mind boggles at the pressure that would have to be involved." He grimaced as he took another bite.

He looked at Utsu. "I'll see that it gets reported. Although..." He gave her a smile. "Your word is more respected than mine. Perhaps it's my scoundrel hair."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:25 pm 

"Hmm... maybe we should take a closer look to get a clearer picture, before giving an alarmist report?" Utsusemi suggested, a little uncertain if it was a good idea to spread panic... or even who they would deliver the report to.

"I think regardless if it's your scoundrel-hair or I making the report, it's better to have as much facts as possible, no?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:46 pm 

"Mmmm..." Kenzo pursed his lips thoughtfully. "I think so long as we report only what we saw, and don't make any suggestive conclusions of our own, it should be fine. Allow the evidence to speak for itself, and make the origin of the evidence clear. It shall be a very scientific report." Kenzo said, smiling."

He chuckled at the term. "But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to investigate further ourselves. Alas, today doesn't work." He grimaced. "Perhaps tomorrow. Although if I break a leg, and can't dance with you tomorrow, I'll be most distraught indeed." He said, shaking his head sadly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:59 pm 

Trusting in his experience in the matter as well as his superior knowledge on the topic, Utsusemi nodded and did not argue the point further. "As long as it's reported then... I trust in your expertise, Kenzo."

At least he managed to lighten her mood a little, even if she continued in a very serious tone. Or rathrer, an attempt at a very serious tone. "I will be most upset if you are so hurt you can't dance tomorrow... I might even have a few choice words with Miya-san if she is going to drag my yojimbo out on dangerous excursions that injure him so."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:10 am 

It was just a simple thing, but Kenzo nevertheless flushed gently at the words of praise. "I'll see that it's done." He said, inclining his head lightly.

One last bite, and Kenzo was finished. His manners were good, but he still ate both efficiently and with gusto. He pushed his plate forward, empty.

Kenzo did his best to keep his expression serious, but there was no mistaking the playful light in his eyes. He turned a little to face her, his knee coming to rest gently against hers. "You did promise to save me, didn't you?" He said, his lips pressed together to stop his smile. "That would almost make it worth it. Almost." He said, chuckling. "Believe me, I shall try to make it unnecessary."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:32 am 

Utsusemi on the other hand was a slow eater, often picking at her food, even more so when there was something on her mind or something she was unsure about.

"Almost?" she chuckled softly as the porridge was stirred a little. "... Please, be careful, Kenzo. I will of course, keep my promise, but I would rather that nothing were to happen to you." Just like she didn't want anything to happen to her that would call for him to risk himself for her.

What could she do against something that Kenzo couldn't best, be it man, beast, or nature itself, she wondered.

"If something happened to you... and I couldn't save you," Utsusemi pushed aside her bowl and chopsticks, "I don't know what I'd do."

Theme #5Profile

Page 4 of 6 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next