Login FAQ  
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 6 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: [D9EM] In Case Of Fire
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:24 pm 

All of the spices had been laid out ahead of time; Kenzo liked to organize this sort of thing properly. He arranged the fish into two moderately-sized pieces. Here, his scientific background helped, as with a steady hand he began to add a modest amount of vinegar and spices.

Feeling Utsu's fond glance, he gave her one of his own. "As do I." He said softly. "On the temple as well. On all things, really. We're matched rather well, I feel." Only a twinge as he said it; he was well-reconciled to the reality of their situation.

Kenzo's eyes widened at her wink, a grin following. "Oooh." He murmured, appreciating her playfulness as always. He stepped closer, his arm lifting to slide around her waist... but retreating with a grimace when he realized the intimacy would probably be spoiled by getting fishy fingers on her robe. Instead, he turned to wash his hands. "Yes, you should. I've come to enjoy giving you pleasant surprises." He smirked back at her. "I rather think that I can do it again."

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:35 pm 

Utsusemi on the other hand didn't have that much scientific background, and rather went with what suited her inspirational mood at the time. Sometimes that was carefully going through the motions of preparing everything before she placed a brush to the paper, and sometimes it was like the other night two weeks ago where she would just grab what she had at hand to write down what came to her mind.

"It seems we are," she agreed softly. Like him, their situation was something she had come to terms with, but she was determined to enjoy what time they had together. It would be harder to find opportunities for little moments like these back home, but maybe not impossible.

"I always have faith in you managing to surprise me, Kenzo. Even after all this time." She chuckled warmly as she kept her gaze down at the yam and knife in her hands, moving slowly as the outer layer was peeled away. "... Just no frogs in my bed, I hope. Or other wildlife. Especially not snakes."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:54 pm 

Kenzo's eyes lit up playfully, and he leaned closer, their arms brushing against each other. "Of course not, Utsu." He said softly. Even though they were alone, he still pitched his voice as though a secret for just the two of them. "That's certainly not how I intend to surprise you in bed." His roguish grin flashed at her.

He turned his attention, or at least some of it, back to the fish. "But believe me, I quite learned my lesson from Berena-sama. No snakes. Or, at least, no snakes without prior agreement. Sometimes my enthusiasm for those sorts of things is such that I forget not everyone shares it."

Kenzo paused in his work a moment, his eyes on Utsu's hands as she worked. He smiled, a number of fond memories coming to the surface of his mind.

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:09 pm 

Her face flushed a soft pink colour in response to his roguish charm, the knife's movements slowing down a little. Her mind was for a moment somewhere else.

"... I find that enthusiasm rather endearing," Utsusemi murmured in a soft tone, a shy glance in his direction as she placed down the peeled yam. "I like watching how your face lights up when you talk about it, or when you see an animal."

A part of it was that it reminded her of her children, but it was also that it was such an innocent and pure emotion Kenzo seemed to have for the subject that made her admire it.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:32 pm 

Kenzo chuckled softly, his return glance fond, and perhaps just a touch sheepish. "I'm very glad that you find it so, Utsu. I don't think I could conceal it." His lips twisted. "And I suppose it's for the best that I don't. I want people... you... to be fond of the real me, after all."

He resumed his work. "I wish I'd managed to find more cute animals on this island. I rather like seeing your reaction to them, too."

"So..." Kenzo gave Utsu a sidelong glance through his lashes. "I understand there will be a masquerade ball tomorrow night, at the East Port governor's estate."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:41 pm 

"I'm sure we can find some time to look around a bit more for them? Maybe ask around a little?" Utsusemi suggested mirthfully... after all, she wanted to see more of the nicer fauna the island had to offer, rather than just snakes and deadly bugs. Besides, illustrations of the cute animals would be nice to bring home to the children.

"Ah," she nodded, her hands working on diceing up the yams. That on the other hand she did more methodically, as she was quite focused on getting the bits evenly sized, though judging by the small crease on the forehead it seemed more like she was considering how to carve them nicely.

"Yes. It sounds like a nice event to experience more of the local culture. More... dancing, even?" her smirk was playful as she thought of their dancing some time ago. "Would you like to go?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:04 pm 

"I'll see what I can do." Kenzo said, giving her a confident grin. Again, he took a moment to watch her hands as she worked, admiring her skill and care.

At her words, Kenzo gave a slow smile, his eyes alight. "Indeed, I should very much like to go. I did spend the time learning the dance, after all. I should like to try it again." Although, he had one partner in mind for it. His lips curled up. "And I did find some formal local clothing that I think suits me very well."

His head turned to look directly at her. "Utsu..." He began. "Do you think you might make my mask? I could buy one, of course, but I'd much rather have one that you made."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:23 pm 

The movement of the knife paused as Utsusemi turned to look at him. Her smile bright. "I would love to, Kenzo." All of the above, really. "I'm... happy you asked me. Yes, I'd very much love to make a mask for you."

"But," her smile turned a little more inquisitive. He had said he had found some formal clothing, "I would have to know what you will wear, so that the mask will match."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:35 pm 

Kenzo smiled warmly back at her. "Thank you, Utsusemi. I very much look forward to it." He lowered his head just a little, his eyes growing in intensity as they met hers.

"Oh." Kenzo's lips pursed thoughtfully for as he considered. After a moment, he gave her a crooked smile. "And yet, I worry that if you know what I am to wear, I will thoroughly spoil the surprise. And that would be a shame." His lips curled up further. "I fear even to show it to you, as you'd no doubt be able to picture it on me."

Setting his work aside for a moment, Kenzo turned fully towards her. "Perhaps if I describe part of it for you, instead? I can tell you that it is primarily dark brown, with olive as the secondary color. And there's a high collar." His hands came up, tracing all around his neck except the very front. "And a little bit of brass, I believe." His eyebrows went up. "Is that sufficient?"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:39 pm 

Her lips pouted as he said he wouldn't show it to her, though her disappointment was overly dramatic for the sense of humour.

"Mmm... I believe so, yes. Did you have anything specific in mind, for a theme? Like, maybe an animal, or something?" she inquired with more curiosity, the knife returning to the work of slicing and dicing.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:56 pm 

"Oh, now..." Kenzo grinned, leaning closer. His lips pursed, offering a kiss by way of consolation; and because her pouting lips drew his eye rather appealingly. "It's for a very good cause. You'll get to see tomorrow."

His eyes narrowed speculatively on her, a smile still on his lips. "And I don't think I've seen what you're going to wear, either."

"Hmmm..." Kenzo's lips pursed again, thoughtfully this time. "Dark brown and olive green already suggest a nature theme, do they not? And I, being who I am, well!" Grinning, he gave a tiny bow. "Something that makes one think of nature would seem a very good match, indeed. But I leave it to your judgement."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:01 pm 

"Hm, that is true," she chuckled and happily accepted the kiss as a consolation for now.

"So something with a nature-theme for you, hmmm..." Utsusemi pushed aside the chopped up pieces of yam, now all ready. "Well, of course you haven't seen it. It's a surprise! I deserve to be able to surprise you as well once in a while... after all, it is hardly fair that you do all the surprising, no?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:25 pm 

Kenzo turned, checking on the rice, stirring it briefly. Looked like it was just about ready.

He moved back, making some last adjustments to the fish. He gave Utsu a grin. "Believe me, Utsusemi. You've surprised me a number of times. And every time, I've loved it." His lips twisted playfully. "That's part of why I'm looking forward to tomorrow so much."

With thumb and forefinger, Kenzo pinched off a tiny bit of the fish. "Here, try this. I think it's coming out quite nice." He lifted the morsel with his hand, offering it to Utsu; not so sensual as baklava was, but it still needed to be tasted.

-----------------------------------

D9EM, making breakfast together, want explosions but no fires! VP spent, 1 CR: 5d10o10k4+1 28

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:30 pm 

The playful twist of his lips was reflected in her own expression as well. He had been rather surprised the other night, she had to admit.

The offered morsel was well-recieved with a playful "aa"-sound as Utsusemi opened her mouth, but this morning it was all fairly innocent compared to the baklava-incident. "Mmm... that's good," she nodded, raising a hand to gently wipe her lip. "... You're pretty good at this, Kenzo. Yet another part of Niten-training?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:53 pm 

Kenzo couldn't help but laugh at Utsu's cute display, another facet of her personality. His hand did linger long enough to brush gently across her cheek, a gesture of tenderness.

"Thank you." Kenzo said, flushing lightly with pleasure at the compliment. He picked up a tiny piece for himself, popping it into his mouth, nodding with approval. "Yes, I think this shall go well. Fish, with rice and yam porridge." He used the flat of the knife to scoop up the fish, putting both pieces on a single plate.

After washing his hands once more, he turned back to Utsu. "I think I learned from a mixture of necessity and inspiration. The necessity..." Kenzo shrugged. "Well, I do spend a lot of time by myself, after all. I had to pick up the basics, at least."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:04 am 

The yam was set to cook, and Utsusemi took a moment to rinse her hands.

"Hm, and the inspiration? I know Sanjuro said that he thinks cooking is a lot like a metaphor for inventing... but what is the inspiration for you?" she looked thoughtfully at Kenzo. Cooking out of nescessity wasn't something she had really had to worry about before, after all, and it was hardly one of the chores she had to do for her husband.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:18 am 

Kenzo's eyes went up in mild surprise. "That's a fair comparison actually, yes. At least as I understand it. Of course, it is usually necessity that drives invention..."

Kenzo waved this away. "But I did notice the things you did in here, rather more than the simple things I knew how to do. And I hardly would carry such a wide array of ingredients into the wildness." He gestured towards the cooking supplies. "Well, I suppose I felt rather creative." He shrugged.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:29 am 

Colour rose a little in her cheeks, though more out of embarassement over her own lack of skill with cooking, than flattery.

"Maybe you're better suited to this than I...?" Utsusemi's lips pressed together slightly. "I mean... I never really had to cook anything growing up. The most we would do at home was to make riceballs to leave for the family shrine, as we had people who would cook our meals."

She chuckled briefly. "I liked to think I could do anything that invovled creating something new, if I just put my mind to it, but cooking... I guess it's just not for me."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:45 am 

Kenzo listened, nodding. "I helped sometimes with cooking in my youth. But not often." His mother had been a very good cook, and generally only let him do small tasks.

His look of interest sharpened, though, as she went on. His eyes noted the compression her her lips. He gave a concerned frown as he carefully washed and cleaned the knife. "I find that hard to believe, Utsu. I happen to enjoy your cooking." Although the fish he'd just prepared did seem to be tastier...

He gave her a smile. "Perhaps we just need to work as a team. You did save me from letting the pot boil over, after all."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:03 am 

"Perhaps," she agreed a little timidly, though there was something hopeful in her gaze as she looked at him. "Maybe I just need to learn to do it from someone like you... seeing how we work well together, hm?"

"But... I'm glad you like it." Utsusemi's smile grew a little, though she half-suspected he said it to be nice to her, just like she suspected Sanjuro did.

Theme #5Profile

Page 2 of 6 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next