Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 3 of 4 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Fresh Wounds (D12 LN)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:38 am 

"Yes." Kenzo said with a smile.

But just as he could easily catch the signs of nervousness in her, so would she be able to catch the flash of concern in his deep brown eyes as he spotted them. And, no doubt, the way his chin tilted upwards, the muscle in his jaw tightening with resolve. He would do whatever it took to ease her worries.

"Berena-sama is fine, by the way. She helped attend to my injuries." There was the briefest of hesitations, scarcely noticeable, and he added: "Sanjuro-sama is fine as well."

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:48 am 

She began the routine of undressing herself, her movements swift from the familiarity of it all.

With the news, Utsusemi released a sigh of relief. "... Thank the Fortunes," she murmured, clearly relieved. "I... would hate to have been the one to deliver the bad news to Muhaki-dono, if anything had happened to her." Turning slightly, she looked over her shoulder at Kenzo as the kimono was slipped off. "I'm glad to know she looked after you. She... she really is a dear friend."

Her brow furrowed a little in concern of what sort of state Sanjuro might be in after the fighting, but... she assured herself she could see him the following day, and instead let him rest for now. Besides, she knew that she was now needed here...

The kimono was folded away and she picked up the comb she kept nearby. "What about everyone else on the Kunshu Maru?"

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:55 am 

Kenzo couldn't help but smile, just a little, as the kimono slid off of Utsusemi's slender form. Once again, he was struck by the pleasant domestic feel of the situation, an intimacy apart from the physical.

He sighed. "It was... rather rough, at times. The ship was attacked by some sort of giant squid." His shoulders bare, it was easy to see them tighten uncomfortably.

He went on. "There were losses... Kitsu-kancho was a bit wounded, although not so badly as I was. He lead the sea forces, you know. Hida-san was fine, I think." He shrugged.

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:15 am 

Well, hopefully any memorial service this time would occur without any interruptions from another realm, Utsusemi hoped.

"I'm not surprised our captain lead the attack. He does seem well-suited for such." She had some admiration for the Lion commander, considering his skill as a leader as well as unflinching honour.

"Giant... squid?" There was an involuntary shudder at that as she sat down beside him, placing her hand on his shoulder. It still lacked her usual warmth and her breathing seemed a little heavier than normal. "... or ... maybe you can tell me of it another time, when we're both... feeling better?"

Her fingers brushed over his hair before following up with the comb.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:05 am 

Utsu would feel Kenzo stiffen as she mentioned the giant squid. His hand came up over his shoulder to grip hers, squeezing it gently. After a few moments of that, his shoulders relaxed. "I quite agree." He turned his head, giving her a wry smile over his shoulder. "For once, there is an animal that I have no wish to talk about. I... I fear it rather unnerved me." His gaze dropped as he turned his head forward.

The feeling as Utsu's fingers began brushing through his hair, though, made Kenzo sigh. The stresses of battle and sea travel had returned his hair to its usual slightly wild look, more befitting a scoundrel. However, the better care he'd giving it meant that it was more responsive to her touch than last time.

Kenzo was also responsive to her touch. He murmured softly, almost a purr, leaning his head back as she combed his hair. "Utsusemi..." He said softly, smiling.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:38 am 

"It's alright," she whispered in his ear, squeezing him in an embrace from behind. "There's nothing to be afraid of now." Her words were like comforting words from a mother.

Letting go, Utsusemi began brushing his hair, the motions slow and smooth as she knew he liked. The familiar gesture put her at ease as well, even with the fever pressing on her.

"It feels nice?" She asked, noticing his purring and how it seemed to relax him.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:50 am 

The embrace, the soft words, everything about Utsusemi seemed to soothe Kenzo. He couldn't help but smile at how easily she did so. It was more than just the love they shared. It was in her nature, and why she was caring for him, even when she was so clearly sick and troubled. And that, in turn, was another thing that he loved about her.

"Yes." He said, his voice soft. The slow, smooth motions of her brushing relaxed him further, his eyes drifting closed. "The sensation itself is pleasant. I believe I've commented before on how much I enjoy your hands." He smiled.

One hand drifted back to gently rest on her knee. "But beyond that... it is simply that I feel that I have grown accustomed to your touch."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:28 pm 

The touch of his hand brought her a small smile. Strange sometimes that it was these small gestures of affection between them that was soothing to her wounded soul.

"I'm glad... to know it brings you comfort. My touch, that is. And... It's the same for me." Twirling a lock of his hair around her fingers, Utsusemi brought it closer to her face as she breathed in his scent, gently placing a kiss on the oft unruly hair.

She knew she would miss this in the future.

"Just having you near is like a balm..."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:43 pm 

The touch of lips on his hair made Kenzo laugh softly. The scent of salt water was stronger than usual, as well as the faint smell of fire, a legacy of the battle. But, ultimately, it was the same pleasantly earthy spiciness that seemed very much characteristic of him.

"A balm." Kenzo smiled. "Yes, that is just the word. I like that very much." His hand, still resting on her knee, gave her another gentle squeeze.

A thought occurred, and Kenzo's head half-turned, doing his best not to disturb her work, if that was what it could be called. "Perhaps..." He hesitated. "I dare to hope that you might try sleep again, safely in my arms. This fever of yours concerns me." Indeed, concern could be seen in his brown eyes, even as his smile grew. "Perhaps I can be your yojimbo in Yume-do, just as I am here."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:47 pm 

Utsusemi halted her work, looking down. "I... I don't know, Kenzo. I don't know if I can dare to try..." Her fingers tightened over the comb. "I'm scared if I will just see the same again, or something worse."

Arms moved around him, hugging him tightly. "When you're near, I feel safer, but... I'm powerless in the realm of dreams. I think I fought it this time, or at least... it kind of felt like I did, in a way - like a battle of wills. But... I lost, Kenzo. And I can't bear to lose again... I might lose myself if I do."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:09 pm 

Hearing the fear in Utsusemi's voice, Kenzo's jaw clenched. Fortunes, how he wished this was something he could help her fight, or something he knew about... something he was not so helpless against. The memory of pouring through book after book, fruitlessly looking for answers came to him. When did that happen?

Oh. Right. It was in my nightmare. He shivered against her.

Kenzo's hands came up, holding her arms as they encircled him. "It's okay, Utsu. It's okay." He squeezed her as best he could. "We won't let that happen."

Gently, he detached one of her hands, but only so that he could bring it to his lips; he held it thereafter. "In that case, I shall stay awake with you. Don't worry-" He said quickly. "I already slept after the battle. Berena-sama was kind enough to lend me her cabin. And dawn is not so very far away." He gave her hands another squeeze. "Please, Utsusemi."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:45 pm 

Sensing his shiver, her hold tightened slightly to reassure him. And herself that he wouldn't go anywhere... that he wouldn't disappear like in her nightmare.

Her head rested over his shoulder. "No... you need rest to recover properly, Kenzo," her voice hardened, as his well-being was not a subject of discussion she was likely to change her mind on. "I will stay with you, and make sure you stay in bed. If... if I happen to fall asleep, it happens, even if I don't know if I can..."

Fortunes, she felt so tired and exhausted, but the thought of sleeping was not tempting... even if she knew she had to, eventually. Utsusemi briefly considered self-medicating herself, but quickly banished such ill thoughts... a medic using their own supplies to drug themselves was a horrible idea to even entertain for a short moment.

"Maybe I should just lie down and try not to think about it..."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:53 pm 

It was good to recognize a battle that could not be won. Kenzo could see that he was in that situation now. "Okay." He said softly, simply. Turning his head, he kissed her cheek. "Than I shall sleep better, knowing that you're watching over me."

He shifted in her grip, turning towards her a little more, giving her a smile. "But not yet. If you're done with my hair, than it is my turn to do yours. I believe that was our agreement." His hand came up, brushing across her cheek, and sliding into her fine hair. "And I've rather been looking forward to it."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:24 pm 

She nodded gently, leaning into his touch. As always, his presence and his touch gave her peace of mind, finding it both soothing and comforting. "Of course... you know I won't break my word to you," of course she meant the agreement, but also that she would not break her word on anything else they had promised eachother.

Utsusemi loosened her hold on him, the hand with the comb trailing along his arm until it reached his hand, which she gently closer her fingers around as the comb was placed in Kenzo's palm. "I do like it when you brush my hair.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:39 pm 

"I know." Kenzo's lips twisted into a smirk, but his eyes were serious.

The smirk became a grin as her hand trailed along his arm, the muscles flexing gently under her touch. As her hand closed around his, trapping the comb in his palm, he couldn't help himself. He leaned forward, pressing his lips to hers in a tender kiss.

As they parted, he smiled again. "Good. Because I enjoy brushing it. Here, if you would turn around..." Normally, he would have shifted himself, but his wound made that difficult. Instead, he helped guide her as she turned, his hand on the small of her back.

He shifted then, mirroring her motions from before. He sighed as his fingers slid through her hair, tips just touching her scalp, before following with the comb. "This... is nice." He whispered. Leaning forward, he kissed her shoulder. "I'm not entirely sure why that thought suddenly came to me. Nevertheless, it is."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:07 pm 

Utsusemi couldn't help herself from closing her eyes as their lips joined in a kiss, shutting out the rest of the world for the brief moment they kissed.

"It just... relaxes me," she murmured as she turned around, pushing back the long hair that had slipped over her shoulders. As his fingers brushed her scalp, she shuddered in pleasant response. "Yes... especially when you do that," a soft chuckle accompanied her lowered voice.

"Mmm... it is strange how thoughts come to us like that, but I find that when we're together like this... thoughts of how I can make you feel better are often present in my mind."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:49 pm 

"Is that so?" Kenzo laughed softly, his breath pleasantly warm against her shoulder. "In that case, I am quite compelled to continue." He put deeds to words, alternating between stokes of the comb and of his fingers, letting the latter brush against her head, her neck, her back.

Her words made Kenzo blink. "Oh." He said, his voice suddenly gone rough, choked by the unexpected surge of emotion. He leaned his forehead against her shoulder. "I love you, Utsusemi." He whispered.

It took him a few moments to recover. He straightened, clearing his throat. "As well as when I'm not there, too. Or so your paintings suggest." He smiled. "I shall have to put my thoughts towards ways to make you happy." In truth, such thoughts were often on his mind.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:01 pm 

She turned her head just enough to catch him in the corner of her eye, her smile fragile but loving. "... I love you too, Kenzo." Utsusemi's hand found one of his to hold, squeezing it tenderly.

"Ah... and here I thought you already were?" she managed to tease, even if it was hard for her to bring the same humour to it she had the past days. "As for the paintings... I made them for you, but... I also want to put my art towards more practical uses as well. I like the thought that they can be part of something more, if that makes sense?"

She noticeably relaxed underneath his hands and the comb, her shoulders sinking and her breath becoming more steady.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:47 pm 

As Utsu's spirits rose, so did Kenzo's his characteristic optimism showing once more. He gave a surprised snort of laughter at her joke. "Of course I am! But now my motivation is even greater. Truly, I will expend all of my efforts towards it."

In a way, that was what he was doing at the moment. Encouraged by her reaction, Kenzo's hands were steady as he brushed her hair, as he gently stroked her with his hand. Indeed, his focus was more on the latter than the former, his deft fingers seeking those spots that he knew she would find most relaxing.

"That makes perfect sense." Kenzo said, smiling. "I very much feel the same way. Believe me, more than once I've thought of publishing and naming 'Kenzo's Red Raccoon'." He chuckled softly. "I'm not sure if that is hubris or not."

He leaned forward, his lips close to her ear. "Perhaps someday, I could find a new species of deer, and name it after you. You could paint it. What would you think of that?" His voice was soft, but playful.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:55 pm 

"Kenzo's Red Raccoon," she chuckled once more. "I don't know how that would work for a scientific paper, but hm... I'm certain we could change it a bit and make a cute, short children's tale: Kenzo the Red Raccoon."

Utsusemi thought back to the second painting she had made after their trip to the Treacherous Pass. She knew how her children liked images with the stories she told them, and she recalled there was some sort of story she had thought of with it, but... it was hard to recall it now, and the notes she had made had been lost when she lost her old journal. The thoughts made her quiet and contemplative as she tried to think of both Kenzo the Red Raccoon and the image with the mushroom-like monks hiding underneath a maple leaf from the rain.

"A new species of deer...? That sounds rather ambitious, no? Wouldn't you have to travel very far to find something like that?"

Theme #5Profile

Page 3 of 4 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next