Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 6 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Ever After (D13 EN)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:30 am 

Carefully, Kenzo set the serving tray on the table. It was the largest of the trays, bearing the main course. Fish, naturally, but an exceptional one. They had picked it out together, and cooked it together. Kenzo had given it his best effort. After all, he wanted this meal to be special.

Kenzo straightened, smiling as he pushed the thought away. His smile grew as he realized just how easily he moved. Rest and tender care had made him entirely whole again. He didn't even need to wear a bandage under the fine embroidered kimono he wore.

And so, it was with a bit of a flourish that he turned and bowed to his fellow chef. "Goodness! This turned out well, didn't it?" He spoke with even more than his usual enthusiasm, his eyes bright.

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

Post subject: Re: Ever After (D13 EN)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:37 pm 

Dressed down from her extravagant finery, Utsusemi was still well-dressed. She carefully took off her apron and let down her sleeves as they were getting ready to eat.

"You've really become quite the talented chef, Kenzo," she smiled too, though with a more demure enthusiasm. She had recovered from her ordeal with Kenzo's support, but there was still a slight muted feel to her.

Except for when she had presented her poem earlier that day; then it had seemed she had grown leaps and bounds since she left Dragon's Guard City.

"I'm famished. Shall we? I prepared some tea to go along with the meal, and I thought we could finish the port wine afterwards?"

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:48 pm 

Kenzo flushed lightly at the praise. "Ah, well. It was a team effort." Indeed, they had handled different parts of the meal. "I'm just glad that you kept me from letting the water boil over again."

Fully healed, Kenzo moved with his usual grace to the table. "Mmm. That sounds wonderful, Utsusemi." Kenzo smiled fondly at her. "I'd almost forgotten about the port."

"Please, allow me to serve you." Kenzo murmured. The meal was a fusion of culture. Spiced in the Rokugani style, most of the ingredients were not, with couscous, walnuts, and an assortment of tropical fruits. With another flourish, he dished a portion of the meal onto her plate.

As he did so, he paused a moment, his gaze lingering fondly on her. Normally, his eyes might hold an edge of concern. After seeing her perform the poem, though, his worries were dispelled. She'd been so wonderfully inspiring. And yet... "How are you feeling?" He asked, giving her a smile.

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:21 pm 

Not that she had a chance to object to him serving her, and she settled for pouring tea for the both of them as he was portioning out the food.

Utsusemi hesitated a little with her answer, but as the two of them had resolved to not keep secrets from eachother, she settled for honesty. "... Better, I think? I... sometimes don't feel quite myself, like I used to be, but... I suppose I could compare it to losing a fight, though I've not yet given up on winning the war?" she sounded a little uncertain as she described it, as it was hard to put it into words.

A cup of tea was pushed forth to him and she settled back in her seat, ready to partake in the meal they had made together.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:52 pm 

After serving her, Kenzo served himself as well. He smiled thanks at Utsu as she slid the cup of tea across to him.

"I see." Kenzo smiled softly, settling into his own seat. "That's good, I think. And it may be a setback, but compared to how you've found yourself since the journey's start..." She was different and yet not, her inner qualities made more obvious.

He picked up his chopsticks, but paused. His smile grew, his eyes seeking hers. "Besides, I feel that it is very easy to have hope right now. Your poem..." He sighed. "I could not help but be affected by your words."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:06 pm 

"I still feel... more confident, more sure of myself... of my own worth," Utsusemi lifted her gaze to Kenzo, her smile fond. She knew she wouldn't have been able to find that without him being there for her, with his faithful devotion and love. Her expression conveyed those thoughts with the adoration she held in her eyes.

As he mentioned the poem, it was now her turn to flush at the praise. "Thank you. It was a challenge to keep it from you, but... I wanted you to have the surprise as well."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:46 pm 

Kenzo's eyes, locked with hers, reflected understanding back at her, as well as love. They'd been through enough, shared enough, that they could communicate without words.

"Ah, I see!" Kenzo grinned, pleased at her reaction. "I had an idea that you were working on something; we are in rather close quarters here, after all. I had quite been looking forward to finding out what it was."

Taking a sip of his tea, he shook his head. "And yet, even knowing that..." He looked at her, his lips twisting into a smile. "Believe me, I was pleasantly surprised. As you so often manage to make me. Utsusemi." His eyes were warm, almost intense.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:06 am 

"Please, you're making me blush," Utsusemi chuckled demurely.

She shyly lifted the first morsel of food with her chopsticks to sample the meal. Her eyes widened in pleasant surprise at the combination of the flavours. It really had been a good idea to bring spices from home.

"Mm..." she swallowed, "this is really good, Kenzo. You've outdone yourself!"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:13 am 

"Good." Kenzo said, his eyes glinting playfully. "I'd hoped to do so."

"Have I?" Kenzo's eyebrows went up. He'd sampled the meal as he was cooking, as chefs often do, but he still didn't quite trust his instincts. Following her example, he ate a morsel himself, his eyebrows going up further. "This is very good! Well, it wasn't all my doing, of course."

Eating a little more, he followed it up with a sip of tea. "But... I confess that I did want to do something special tonight. I am pleased that it turned out so well." Indeed, every part of the day seemed to be exceptional. His smile grew at the thought.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:49 am 

"Something special...?" Utsusemi mused, a brief hint of playfulness teasing at her features. "Well, it certainly is special, but... I would dare say that I find the company to be the most special of all."

Her chopsticks turned idly in her hand as she glanced at her dinner-partner. Moments like this was certainly something she would miss, probably more than the physical intimacy they had shared, as she prized Kenzo's company and the pleasure of being in it more than the physical pleasures they gave eachother.

"I never get bored of spending time with you after all. That we're enjoying this moment here together, like this, is the most special to me. Verily, I could eat plain rice gruel and it would still be a pleasure to share it with you." She chuckled softly. "Not that I am complaining about the food, of course. It is very tasty!"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:32 am 

Kenzo gave her a mock-incredulous look. "Well, I certainly hope you find the food tasty. Rice gruel, indeed!" He shook his head, holding his expression only a moment longer before it broke into a grin.

"But... I do take your meaning. Indeed, I feel very much the same." He sighed. "I remember many of our extraordinary moments together, but also many ordinary ones. I should take making breakfast, or sweeping, or any number of things in your company rather than an adventure with someone else."

Looking at her, for just a moment, his brown eyes grew wistful. Living together in Yomogiu, he suspected that he had experienced a taste of a different life. One in which he and she were married. A life which could never be.

And yet... as he'd said, after hearing her poem, it was impossible for Kenzo not to have hope for the future. For the two of them. His eyes seemed to glint at her playfully as he smiled. "Well then, perhaps for breakfast tomorrow, we shall have rice gruel together. It will be special enough, eh?" He took another bite of his meal.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:00 am 

The tips of her chopsticks rested against her lips as she giggled. "Rice gruel it shall be then. It might be the best rice gruel I'll have, all things considered."

Her eyes lowered back to her food, enjoying the small silences between them as well. It didn't feel as... oppressive as the silence she had back home. Here between the two of them, it felt more like a natural pause that allowed for them to communicate with their gestures and expressions instead. As well as eating.

"Hm... I'm just," she paused as she sought his eyes when she looked up again, "so very grateful, that you supported me through all this, Kenzo. If not for you, then my poetry would have been more like the one you saw that night some time ago... when I was once more at a low-point. It wasn't easy to find that new path, but I would not have been able to do it without you."

She sighed, pushing around some of the food on her plate. "I hate to admit now that almost all my good poems before always seemed melancholic. I wish for this to be a new start for me... not only to find more joy in my art, other than just as an outlet for my pent up emotions, but that it can more be shared with others. Like my poem today, I hope someone might feel inspired enough by it to make it into a song, or perhaps use it in a play. Just like I wish to focus more on painting in the days ahead, so that my skills can contribute more to teaching others like your research does."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:13 am 

Kenzo grinned back, before turning his attention back to his food. Or, at least some of it. His awareness of Utsusemi was ongoing, passive and pleasant, a simple enjoying of each others' company as they ate.

And so, when she sought his eyes, they were there, warm as they met hers. Slowly, his lips curled up into a smile as she spoke. "Utsusemi..." He murmured. His left hand slid across the table, finding hers. "That... makes me glad. Very glad indeed. It is difficult to express..." His lips pressed together as he sought words.

Finally, he smiled again. "Perhaps it is like how you wanted to be part of something more. If my support helped you to find something more, I have made a difference. One I very much wanted to make." He hadn't realized just how much seeing her unhappy tore at him, until he had the chance to make the difference.

He took another sip of tea, his eyebrows going up. "As a start for a new path, this seems very auspicious." He smiled. "I very much look forward to seeing more, Utsusemi."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:59 am 

Her fingers brushed against his, before closing around them gently. "Yes... I think so too, Kenzo," she smiled, her eyes meeting his. Utsusemi was certain she could heal from her loss somehow, as long as Kenzo was there.

"Besides, I've come to realise that you are my muse. With you near, I believe I can do better than what I have before..." the corner of her mouth curled into a smile, "I imagined someone like Kakita Hiiragi probably had someone special to her, and when she performed her songs, there would be one alone she wished to sing for - one alone that she truly wanted to impress. I think... when I realised that, I was finally able to improve too. I just didn't realise until recently that I needed a muse like you."

It just wasn't enough to only want to impress someone who rarely, if ever, showed interest or amazement. An artist was dependant on the emotions of those around her, to properly reflect emotion in her work, Utsusemi had come to see.

"Not all of us can be inspired by cute red raccoons alone," she teased gently.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:15 am 

Once again, Kenzo was struck by just how much the things that Utsusemi said could affect him. His lips parted, his brown eyes going wide. "Utsusemi..." He murmured, his fingers tightening around hers. Swallowing, he smiled. "And to think of how I'd hoped to impress you. And how you've inspired me."

He was silent a few moments. "You have always impressed, Utsusemi." He said, echoing her words from so long ago. "I cannot tell you how touched..." Again, he fell silent, blinking, the sudden surge of love nearly overwhelming him.

Finally, he smiled, the quirk of it playful, though his eyes were still wide. "I must ask you, please, let me know the moment you are done with your meal. I should very much like to kiss you-" He took a deep breath, his smile growing, "-but I fear it would rather disrupt your eating." He inclined his head, his eyes now glinting. "So, if you would be so good as to let me know." He took another bite himself, chasing it with a sip of tea.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:33 am 

Her mouth was partially concealed by her hand as she laughed. "Ah... now I am tempted to eat at an even slower pace, just to see how long you can manage to restrain yourself."

Those hazel eyes, gleaming with playfulness, remained on him as she sipped her tea, and had another mouthful of food.

"Patience is a great part of Mirumoto-training, no? I believe I heard you spend a lot of time with meditation?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:00 am 

"Ooh." Kenzo murmured, his eyes glinting. "I'd like to think I have a strong will..." He shifted, inching a tiny bit closer, unaware he was doing so. "-but I fervently hope that you don't eat too slowly." His eyes flickered to her lips, then back to her eyes, glinting with a playfulness to match hers.

The question made him laugh softly, shaking his head. "I don't think it was intended as a method for resisting temptation, but yes." His lips twisted. "Actually, I suppose it could have been a consideration, at least." He chuckled softly, pausing to take another bite. It seemed he was eating just a tiny bit faster than before.

"But yes, the Dragon place a great deal of focus on what is inside. Meditation is an important part of that, or so I was taught. I don't disagree." His chopsticks tapped against each other, his gaze going distant. "Although it was somewhat difficult for me, I was told that I have some aptitude for it. But I am rather focused on the natural world, too. Something my instructors never quite got me to unlearn." He shrugged.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:21 pm 

She didn't slow down, but for the eager Kenzo it probably seemed like she was eating at a too proper pace.

"Resisting temptation?" Utsusemi giggled once more. "Are you saying I am a temptress, Kenzo?"

Another small mouthful.

"Mm, I'm glad they didn't succeed in unlearning that from you... I do like that side of you very much."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:20 pm 

Kenzo's eyes glinted his enjoyment at her, his lips twisting at the musical sound of her giggle. "Ah, well, that's rather like the question about conscious or unconscious grace, isn't it? Observing from the outside, I cannot tell which it is. I can only see the effects."

His eyes followed her chopsticks as she picked up another small mouthful, bringing it to her lips almost leisurely, or so it seemed to him. He laughed softly, shaking his head. "Although, I have my suspicions..." He took one more bite himself, his meal nearly done.

But Kenzo could be patient, and he appreciated Utsusemi's teasing as much as anything she did. "Mmm." He gave her a smile. "Thank you. And yes, I think it is a good balance, outward and inward." His lips twisted. "Balance was something so often emphasized, it seems to me that they can hardly complain if my balance point was merely a bit different than what they expected."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:26 am 

"Well, from what I have seen, the Dragon often seem to be much more...hm... accepting. Of different paths, that is," Utsusemi chewed thoughtfully. "Always felt it was very different from what I grew up with."

She chuckled, pausing with the few remains on her plate to have a sip of tea. "But we've already reached the conclusion that the two of us come from very different backgrounds. Indeed, I might be as bold as to say that only the Crab would be any more different from the Crane than the Dragon are... despite our differences with the Lion and the Scorpion, we are all clans who greatly value traditions."

Placing her cup down, she reached for the teapot for a refill. "Care for some more tea, Kenzo?"

Theme #5Profile

Page 1 of 6 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next