Login FAQ  
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 6 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: Ever After (D13 EN)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:53 am 

"That would be perfect. Thank you, Utsu." Kenzo slid his cup a little closer, the better to let her easily refill it. His own meal finished, he leaned on one hand, happy to enjoy the casual conversation

"But yes." Kenzo nodded agreement. "It has been very interesting to compare our differing origins." He paused a moment, looking fondly at her; learning more about her had been a pleasure indeed.

He went on. "If I were to turn the question around..." He chewed his lip thoughtfully a moment. "I'm not entirely sure. It feels as though the Dragon are perhaps the second most unusual to everyone. Except the Phoenix." He chucked, smiling. "A position that I feel suits me very well." As someone who often found himself apart from others.

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:12 am 

"Second most unusual?" Utsusemi chuckled, pouring more of the tea for them both. Even when it was plain teas for the meal, there was just something special with the tea she made. "I never really considered the Phoenix to be more unusual than the Dragon... maybe because the Asahina are so similar to them, and our two clans have always been close in many ways."

Sadly with the whole Gozoku-thing too, but that was a minor detail.

"For me, the Crab and the Dragon seem the most unusual, but for different reasons. The Crab are just... brutish and uncaring about anyone but themselves," she sighed, shaking her head as she thought of how the Crab had destroyed Jukami Mura.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:22 am 

Kenzo sighed pleasantly as he sipped the tea. Indeed, as with all tea that Utsu made, it was much more than just hot leaf juice.

"Ah..." Kenzo shook his head. "In fact, I meant that the Dragon are closest in philosophy to the Phoenix, and then equally strange to everyone else. Perhaps it is the Phoenix role as peacemaker that puts them close to different clans? But, ah, we begin to draw outside of my area of expertise, I'm afraid."

He gave a slow nod. "I... do not know many Crab, but I cannot disagree with your assessment." He frowned thoughtfully. "And yet... I met an inventor in the explorers that seemed to be a fine fellow. He helped me to rescue the dolphin." He shrugged. "I suppose there is variation in each clan." His lips quirked. "Room for heroes and scoundrels alike."

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:46 am 

"Ah, Kaiu... Kuuru, I believed his name was?" Utsusemi mused, remembering meeting a Crab inventor too in Dragon's Guard. "He didn't seem too bad, I suppose... very jovial if a bit odd. But I can't say I got to know him enough to make a decision on what he was like."

She shrugged slightly, pushing the food on her plate around a little. "Thing is, the Crab have almost always been a bothersome neighbour for the Crane. The Lion at least are predictable and proper samurai, but the Crab on the other hand... it's like a constant state of them demanding the Crane to give them more of their rice and crops during negotiations and trade, and when they don't get their way, they lash out like uncivilized brutes and invade our lands." As she spoke it slipped from the impartial view she should have as a Dragon, and back into thinking like she was still a Crane. "They destroy homes of samurai and peasants alike, acting more like raiders and bandits, and they care little for what they destroy or defile along the way."

She gave an irritated shake of her head. "It's been like that for as long as I remember."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:03 am 

"Mmm." Kenzo murmured sympathetically. "Of all the vices, I feel that cruelty is the worst. Like that strange business at Berena-sama's wedding today... And to destroy unique things... every life is unique." He sighed, shaking his head. "Although I don't have the personal feeling you do, I think my impersonal ones will serve just as well." That she spoke as a Crane neither surprised nor bothered Kenzo. He knew how much she cared for her family, old and new.

"Is there something that makes you think of it?" He asked, his eyebrows going up in gentle concern.

His eyes flickered down, noting as she pushed her food around on the plate. Kenzo hesitated, torn between conflicting desires. "Ah... do let me know if you should like me to clear your plate, Utsu." He murmured softly. He took a sip of his tea to cover his smile, although his eyes were dancing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:10 am 

"Not particularly, no... I mean... the Crab have almost always been an issue, just like the Lion. Just two different sort of problems, I suppose," she sighed softly. "And yes, that display at the wedding today was completely uncalled for! How I wanted to give Haruka a good bump on the head for doing that on the couple's special day... hmph!"

She was going to put down her chopsticks, but at Kenzo's question her smile slowly returned. It seemed like she was debating whether or not to delay him further. "Hm, I think I might have had my fill... if you would be so kind," Utsusemi gave a slight nod to him.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:24 am 

While the thought of Utsu confronting the magistrate made Kenzo grin, the topic quickly made it fade again. "Yes. There was something about it... Had the question come earlier or later, it would not have caused such a stir. That it came then..." He shook his head. "The only conclusions that I can see is that Doji-sama is either a fool, or intended just such a result. But why?" He shrugged.

Watching her face, Kenzo had to struggle mightily to keep from smiling himself, watching hers. Utsu's playfulness, when she let it show, was something he did truly enjoy to see, after all. "Ah." He inclined his head, his lips curling up despite his best efforts. "Well then. If you'll allow me." With one hand he eased it aside; he would return to it in a moment.

Instead, Kenzo slid easily around the corner of the table, drawing near, his eyes on hers. Easily, comfortably, his hands slid around her waist. "But first, I have to fulfill another promise that I made to you."

His lips found hers, the desire he'd felt on first hearing her lovely words suddenly surging up once more. It was a serious kiss, deep and passionate. And yet, for all that, it was unhurried, savoring the moment, as his lips moved against hers. After all, the night was young, and Kenzo wanted to rush no part of it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:39 am 

"Some people just are cruel," she murmured with a disapproving frown for Haruka...

Though it was quickly forgotten as Kenzo came closer, and delivered on his promise. Utsusemi found herself drawing a deep breath as their lips met, eagerly accepting his and returning in kind as they communicated their love and passion for eachother with not a word spoken. In truth, she had been waiting for it too with great anticipation, even if she had been the one teasing Kenzo.

With his hands around her waist, she reached instead for his face - her slender fingers framing his features with their gentle touch as she urged him closer.

"You on the other hand," she whispered breathlessly as they parted for air, her hazel eyes meeting his brown, "have no cruelty at all in you. And it is one of the many reasons why I love you."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:05 am 

It was as they parted that Kenzo drew a deep breath, taking in not only air, but the now wonderfully familiar scent of her. He smiled at the gentle touch of her fingers on his face, his features shifting expressively under her touch.

"And it is one of the many reasons I love you." He said softly. He could see his eyes reflected in hers, and knew she could see her eyes in his, each set a mirror to the other. "We may have come from very different backgrounds, but it does not matter. Our heart is the same." True on every level, Kenzo felt. He leaned forward, letting his forehead press against hers, his eyes closing.

After a few moments, Kenzo chuckled softly. He leaned back, just a little, but not before he let his lips brush against hers once more. His hands still on her waist, slid about her, teasingly tracing the lines of her obi, but no more than that. "Perhaps I should clear the plates after all." He murmured softly. "And we can finish the tea. Or-" His eyebrows went up, "-perhaps while I'm clearing the plates, you can get out the port." He suggested.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:07 pm 

The scent of tea seemed to blend with her perfume of fragrant wood and flowers, giving it a unique scent for just her.

"Hmmm, yes," she sighed blissfully as their foreheads touched, eyes closing as well as she savoured this rare moment of contentment.

As he leaned away, her hands moved from his face, down his neck and to his shoulders, until brushing gently over his arms. "Mm, port sounds like a good idea. I made sure to get something sweet to go with it too... seeing as today have been such a special occassion for the Tortoise, it felt only right that we celebrate a bit more too." Utsusemi chuckled softly, and stole another brief kiss before he could move to clear the plates.

Still smiling, she patted his arm as she drew away slowly. "Ah, port and dessert then."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:13 pm 

"Oh, did you now?" Kenzo laughed softly, stopping as she stole one more kiss from him. "Somehow I'm not surprised." He teased, giving her a playful smirk. "Very well. Port and dessert. It sounds lovely. Ah, and it reminds me that I have a surprise for you, later."

As usual, having embraced Utsu, letting go was difficult. He let his fingers trail along her arms, briefly squeezing hers, as they parted. He gave her one more smile as they went to do their tasks.

Kenzo had planned ahead, letting water heat in the expectation that one or the other of them might want to take a bath. He borrowed some of that now, washing the plates with his usual precision, and putting them carefully away. Even though this would be their last meal here together. Well, except for rice gruel. The thought made Kenzo smile as he swept back into the main room to rejoin Utsusemi.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:06 am 

"A surprise?" Utsusemi did give him a curious look, as she had no idea what the surprise might be, but she did not detain him to inquire as the two of them went to their separate tasks.

She found the bottle of port and cups, as well as the candied fruit and nuts they had bought before... and the baklava she had picked up today. A shame she never asked any of the locals what went best with port, but it was at least not something she thought went well with dinner, as it seemed more like something to enjoy afterwards.

As Kenzo returned, she was already there, port poured and the sweets prepared on a small platter for them as she herself was tuning up the shamisen she had brought along. It had sadly seen little use, as only Rukaya had shown an interest in learning about art and culture, but it seemed like a nice evening to entertain eachother a bit.

"Ah, you're back?" she looked up with a smile, plucking a little at the strings as she was testing the sound.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:17 am 

A feline grin would be the only response Utsu would receive to her question.

"I am." Kenzo's eyebrows went up in pleased surprise as he surveyed the scene. "My goodness, Utsu." He said, giving her a smile.

He moved to join her, now sitting adjacent rather than across, his knees inches from hers. "I suddenly find myself wishing I had some way to accompany you." He hesitated a moment, then flushed. "I would suggest dance, but I fear I know the Merenaese dances better than Rokugani ones at the moment." Casually, he took a candied nut, popping it into his mouth.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:26 am 

Utsusemi shot him a teasing smile. "You could try singing?" she suggested sincerely, though with a playful giggle. "I think you have a nice voice, so I am certain you could manage to hold a note in a tune or two."

She looked at him with glinting eyes and a smile. "But... I am curious what this surprise could be? You have really piqued my curiosity now, Kenzo."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:43 am 

"Oof." Kenzo winced dramatically. "Well, I did promise you that I'd attempt the impossible, didn't I? Singing falls well within that." Still, Utsu would recognize the pleased twitch to his lips from the compliment.

"Ah, well," Kenzo smiled. "As to that... one moment" His eyes glinted as he gracefully rose to his feet. This time, he went to what had been considered his room, for all the use he actually got out of it.

He returned with a small box, sealed with wax. "I am afraid there is little enough to see, and it is not for opening you." He said as he sat with her once more, placing it on the table. "But for the last few weeks, I was experimenting with methods of preservation, and the available sweets. Inside here is some candied nuts, and some of the sweeter dried fruit, all wrapped in wax paper, and sealed in this box. The samples I tested this morning were in fine shape."

With a smile, and inclining his head, Kenzo slid the box towards her. "I thought it would make a fine present for Tsuchan."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:53 am 

Her smile grew, taking on that special warmth she always seemed to have when she was thinking of her children. "Oh, Kenzo..." Utsusemi placed a hand over her heart, touched by the gesture as she looked at the box.

"... She'll love it, I'm certain. Thank you," she closed her eyes briefly, already thinking of seeing her dear daughter again and how excited she would be for something like this. The gaze returned to Kenzo. "But, please, you should be the one to give it to her. It is good practice for her to learn good manners when the giver is someone like you, whom she already knows and thinks so highly of."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:05 am 

Kenzo grinned, obviously pleased by Utsu's reaction. "I was happy to do it." He said, his voice soft. "If I'm trained in proper scientific procedures, well! It seems to me that this is one of the best uses I could put it to." Indeed, if experimentation could make his love and her daughter happy, he could scarcely think of a better one.

His eyebrows went up at her suggestion. "Oh? Very well. If you think that is best." The briefest of hesitations, and he gave her an almost shy smile. "She think highly of me, you think? That pleases me." His lips quirked. "I'd hoped so, although it was always difficult for me to tell."

He lifted his glass of port, but did not yet drink.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:21 am 

"She is a timid girl, but I can tell she is excited whenever you visit, even if Yoshi-kun tends to dominate the conversation more. Sometimes she has asked me about an animal, and asked if Kenzo has seen it too." Utsusemi chuckled warmly. "Tsuchan seems to think that you have seen every animal there is and know everything about them."

She put aside the shamisen for now, as there would be time to play later, and she too reached for her cup of port. "You've been a part of their lives growing up, Kenzo... in a way, you are a bit like an uncle for them, if it is not too presumptous of me to say it. They are always so happy and excited whenever you visit."

"Hm," she considered the drinks in their hand. "Shall we make a toast?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:33 am 

As she spoke, Kenzo's shy smile became a grin. "Really?" He laughed softly, his head tossing back at that. "Goodness. That makes me want to redouble my efforts to study. I should not want to disappoint her by failing to know something about an animal."

His smile grew more gentle as he gazed fondly at Utsusemi. "Thank you, Utsu. For always making me feel so welcome. And making me feel special."

Kenzo looked at the cup in his hand. "We should." He said cheerfully. His lips twisted as he looked at her, his eyes warm. "And yet, I am uncertain what toast to make. To now, which because I am thoroughly enjoying this moment with you? Or to the future?" He smiled. "Because I find myself rather hopeful about it, lately." As lately as this very day, in fact.

He inclined his head to her, even as he lifted his glass in preparation. "Perhaps I'll let you be the final judge." He said.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:41 am 

"Excellent," she chuckled teasingly in return, "I would hate for her to not learn the answers to all the questions she has."

As for the toast, Utsusemi turned the cup between her fingers, regarding it for a few moments. "Hm... the future is still uncertain, even if I have some hope for it. Shall we instead toast to the memory of our time here, its up and downs, and the joy it has given us?" she suggested, raising the cup slightly.

Theme #5Profile

Page 2 of 6 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next