Login FAQ  
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 3 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Silver Morning (D6, Early Afternoon)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:09 pm 

"Thank you, but... I would not call it wisdom as much as that I have had the time to become more experienced than most of you," she replied with a small smile. "When I had my gempukku, most of you were still only children who had recently begun your training in a dojo. By the time you had your gempukku, I was already a wife and a mother. At your age, I was not so certain and learned as I am now. Life continually changes us, and sometimes it knocks us down, but we should grow and learn from our experiences as we stand up again."

Utsusemi did not press or push him to take his time with his emotions. She would not speak of it to anyone else if he needed to cry or not.

"My eldest sister married into your Family when I was younger," she said after a moment of silence, "so I have learned a little from her on how much a Shosuro prize a commitment made, even a betrothal. But forgive me for being presumptious, as I believe Kakita-san would have wanted you to continue on."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:32 pm 

"I suppose you are right." He turned slightly, looking out of a window. He breathed in slowly, letting the silence hang in the air. "No need to be so modest. It may be only time, but that you are so adept at doling it out is where the wisdom comes in. You're very kind to share it with us all." He appreciated that she didn't push him. The faintest of smiles came to his lips, as he nodded. "I'm glad you understand where I am coming from. What it meant, to me. What she meant."

A hand brought up, wiping away a tear from the corner of his eye with his sleeve. "What she means. But she would want me to fulfill my duty, I am sure. As I would want her to fulfill hers, if she were here and I lost to the sea. Thank you. I... needed to speak about this. More than I thought I needed to."

Honor: Honorless Dog, Status: 2, Glory: 5.8 - Reputation: 5.2 - Benten's Blessing - Dangerous Beauty - Lechery - Evil Eye - Unlucky 1 - Language (Merenae, Mekhem) - Darling of the Court (West Port) - Courtier - Scorpion - "The Rose Whisperer"
Carries on person: Wakizashi, Tanto, Gaijin clothing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:47 pm 

She was touched to see how the loss of Otsuka had affected him so profoundly. It was a rare moment to see a samurai so openly admitting their grief, and she politely averted her gaze a little to not intrude too much upon his emotions.

"I am happy to know I can provide some consolation to yourself, Shosuro-san," Utsusemi spoke in a calm, quiet tone. "Sometimes, it easens the burden if we can share it with someone; either just talking or having someon who understands."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:54 pm 

He had been moved by her kindness, by the respect shown to him. By the allowance that grief was necessary. Another sharp inhalation through his nose, before the calming breath was allowed to escape. "One day, there will be stories about the kind Agasha who traveled the seas for the Empire, and how her grace allowed mere mortals to attain something more. I know this, Agasha-sama." He bowed his head to her, drinking more fully from the tea.

"I cannot thank you enough for your understanding, your kindness."

Honor: Honorless Dog, Status: 2, Glory: 5.8 - Reputation: 5.2 - Benten's Blessing - Dangerous Beauty - Lechery - Evil Eye - Unlucky 1 - Language (Merenae, Mekhem) - Darling of the Court (West Port) - Courtier - Scorpion - "The Rose Whisperer"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:01 pm 

She chuckled briefly, her smile coming easily this time as if she was lowering an invisible guard that had been there before.

"Thank you, I'm... very flattered. I merely try to live up to the ideals of my ancestors, and to how I would want my own children to be when they are grown up," there was a fondness in her voice as she spoke. "I'm certain the storytellers will tell stories of the Shosuro who travelled to a distant island for his clan and Empire, serving as a diplomat in a strange land with stranger customs and languages."

Chuckling once more, Utsusemi turned the cup in her hand. "We are both a little out of our natural elements here, no?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:03 pm 

"A little. But that is what makes this an exciting venture." He laughed a little with her, finding himself falling into ease with her. Watching her closely as she drank from her tea, the way her fingers curled around the cup. The subtle way her hair framed her face. "The challenge of being in a strange land. Of remembering where we come from, without forcing our hosts to bow to our customs. An exchange of ideas will be beneficial to all, and we will come away richer in that knowledge."

A slight flush as the words escaped his lips. "So non-traditional, I know. But it's a large world... and I think I'd like to see all of it."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:19 pm 

"It is a difficult balance, indeed. As guests, it's improper for us to imply anything negative about the ways of our hosts, yet we must still maintain the ways of our ancestors as set by the Kami. Finding that middleground is the work of people like yourself and I."

Utsusemi glanced at Anzai, noticing how his eyes seemed to follow her. Those mismatched eyes...

"And what sort of ideas do you have in mind to exchange with the locals here, if you don't mind me asking?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:27 pm 

"To start things, an exchange of language. Though it may seem we don't really need to do that." He mused over his tea. "I met someone, last night. She claimed to be from Clan Ki-rin." He set the cup down, thinking for a moment.

Remembering one of the most important little truth. Everyone lies. "Could you imagine that? That we would find the scions of Shinjo?" Raising an eyebrow, he smiled again. "So now, if this is true, we have something else to exchange, centuries of history and what they've learned in their travels." He gauged her reactions, the way she'd ponder what he said.

"Very unexpected, don't you think?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:30 pm 

Utsusemi raised an eyebrow. "I have heard reports of these lost children of the Ki-rin, yes," she sipped her drink thoughtfully. "... I am not sure if I believe it yet. Many years have passed since Shinjo-Kami and her people left the Empire, and we have no way of knowing what happened to them."

She shrugged her shoulders slightly. "Perhaps I am merely wary, but I am not ready to just believe it without a convincing reason."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:38 pm 

"Do you think a convincing reason can be produced?" He asked, without judgement or any indication of doubt. "To create a falsehood of that level? That would take knowledge of something so sacred, and continue on in such a story?" His posture shifted. Lies and falsehoods were the purview of the Scorpion. He doubted anyone could do that as well as they could.

"But you are right about wariness. It may be prudent to maintain a level of detachment when dealing with them. Until we can be certain they can be trusted."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:50 pm 

Her brow furrowed slightly. "There are distressing reports that this Tarkhanate, which these people calling themselves 'Unicorn' are aligned with, are quite... aggressive and barbarous. Some concern even that lone samurai might be kidnapped to be sold into slavery."

She gave him a rather sober look. "So do be careful when you are out and about with these people, Shosuro-san. They might not have your best interest at heart."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:07 pm 

"Then I ask you be as careful as I will be. I would not want to learn that you had been kidnapped, either." He assured her, voicing his own concern for a moment. "Of course, I will mind my surroundings and anyone I walk with. I won't leave myself open to tricks. After all, I am usually the one who is up to tricks." A slight laugh to break any tension, but it was apparent he was taking her concerns seriously.

"I wouldn't want you to be overcome with worry over my sake, Agasha-sama."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:20 pm 

"I have Mirumoto Kenzo-san as my yojimbo, so I feel confident in his skill to keep me safe," she assured Anzai with a polite smile. "It might be prudent to see if it could be arranged for those who are non-combatants to have someone to work in that capacity when going into dangerous parts of the ports, but I trust people to be responsible enough to think of such."

"It has been pointed out to me at least which places I should avoid when going alone. Little Aqhaba in the Eastern port being one."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:37 pm 

"Little Aqhaba. I'll be careful should I ever find myself there. And finding a yojimbo..." There was a twinge again. Kakita-san was an excellent duelist. It wasn't why he was attracted to her, or sought out a pairing, but it certainly made them an excellent pair. He paused for a moment. "I should be able to manage that, should I need it. Though I've been told that many here may not view a yojimbo as a good stand in for a duel, should that happen." His voice was quiet, but still a slight hint of humor there.

"But I may have to go to the East Port, if I want to practice my Mekhem."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:40 pm 

Utsusemi gave a slight nod. "True, the locals might not understand the role of a yojimbo, but at least the presence of someone who looks like a guardian should at least discourage those who think a samurai is easy prey."

She did idly wonder what a gaijin duel might look like.

"Oh, Shosuro-san is learning yet another language? It is the one spoken by the people of the sands, yes? I know Muhaki Berena-san is familiar with it, but I have not had much exposure to it myself."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:50 am 

"Hai, Agasha-sama. I picked up a little from Muhaki-taicho during the voyage over. Enough that I can communicate, but I want to be as proficient in it as I am with my Merenaese." He nodded to her, and then a thought dawned on him.

"I would be honored to teach you what I know. Over time. If you'd like. A flexible tongue may be of benefit to us over the course of diplomacy." Had he meant it the way that sounded?

Who even knew.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:58 am 

Utsusemi gave him the benefit of the doubt, assuming he did not mean it in a lewd fashion.

"That... might be useful, yes," she nodded thoughtfully. "Given we have the time for it without it interfering with our other duties. I would be grateful... thank you."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:12 am 

"Of course. When our duties do not require our attention." He seemed genuinely excited to pass on the language. To feel like he was expanding the reach of the purview of Imperial Exolorers.

What the mission was all about. "Speaking of which. I must return to my duties. I just wanted to come by, and drop off your gift." He would slowly stand, but his gaze remained fixed on her.

"Thank you, again, Agasha-sama. For everything."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:47 am 

"Oh, of course," she gave nod. "Just... one more thing, before you leave? Are your wounds recovering alright?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:56 am 

"Oh. Yes. Just some remaining discomfort, but I am feeling much better. Not quite perfect, but getting there." He stopped himself, looking to her.

"I wouldn't oppose you checking the bandages, making sure everything is in it's place." Anzai's smile was modest and sincere.

Page 2 of 3 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next